Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,712 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:17 AM

Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West (644 Views)

My Relationship Of 3 Years May End Because Of Wedding Date. / Nigerian Man Demands Car From Son-in-law Ahead Of Wedding, Daughter Supports / Ladies, What Type Of Wedding Ceremony Would You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by IAmOged(f): 8:55pm On Jan 01, 2017
When did people start wearing rings to signify marriage? Particularly in the western world and America. I'm sure there was a point in history where people didn't wear wedding rings and it must have come from somewhere. I've never thought about it before and was curious if there was a couple who did it first or where specifically the custom came from.
Re: Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by chiefolododo(m): 8:58pm On Jan 01, 2017
Me I Dont know
Re: Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2017
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_ring

Thanks for giving me something to read on. smiley
Re: Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 01, 2017
Originated in ancient Egypt where the circle was sacred and because it had no "end" couples gave each other rings as a symbol of eternal love. It was not necessary associated with a wedding. This practice moved to Ancient Rome and was adopted by Christians in the Middle Ages.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by CaroLyner(f): 9:18pm On Jan 01, 2017
The Western traditions of wedding rings can be traced back to ancient Rome and Greece first associated with dowry and later with a pledge of fidelity. The modern exchange of rings originated in Europe in Middle Age as part of Christendom.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 01, 2017
Erm
Re: Origin Of Wedding Rings In The West by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2017
Raine80:
Originated in ancient Egypt where the circle was sacred and because it had no "end" couples gave each other rings as a symbol of eternal love. It was not necessary associated with a wedding. This practice moved to Ancient Rome and was adopted by Christians in the Middle Ages.

How are you? Happy new year!

(1) (Reply)

Dear Single Women, This Is Why You Attract Married/unavailable Men / Why Are Akwa-ibom Men So Rough? / Here Are 8 Ways You Can Touch Someones Life And Be Happy This Valentines Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.