Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? (415 Views)

What Is The Real Problem Between The East And The West. / Arabic Saga: The Real Problem Is Ahead Of Us As A Nation. / Obasanjo Is Nigeria’s Father Of Corruption, Sits On Stolen Wealth - Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? by AloyalNigerian(m): 11:16am On Jan 03, 2017
WHAT IS NIGERIA'S REAL PROBLEM?
My name is Alabi Emmanuel. I have been wondering what Nigeria's problem really is. We blame our leaders for their corrupt practices. But, come to think of it, is it really their fault? Is it ours? Is it the system's fault?
All I see in Nigeria is a group of people with diverse cultures, united but not wholeheartedly. Our representatives in government are not really there because of us but for their respective purses (although not all). I see greedy youths, who despite knowing the wrongdoings of this people, will still campaign tiredlessly for these same set of people.
RELIGION: Is this really Nigeria's problem? Fine, people say religion is a scam, why? because people act as if they love one another but what is in them inwardly is nothing but hatred, envy, etc. Nigerians are religious fanatics, we believe we can't do anything on our own, so we look up to clerics instead of God. I believe God is there to perfect what we've started. Like they say, "Heaven helps those who help themselves ", this saying is absolutely true. If we don't help ourselves, we shouldn't expect any help.
CORRUPTION: I don't think this is the causative factor of Nigeria's problem, I see it as a consequent of our actions and inactions. We blame 'our' people for corruption frequently without taking actions against them. Have you ever thought of why corruption cases are not taken too seriously in the judicial system? Well, tribalism and greed of the citizens makes them confident of not being punished. As soon as a man from a particular tribe is accused of corruption, his kinsmen will come out to defend him even when he's very wrong. We pretend to be one but don't act like one.
OURSELVES(CITIZENS): Should we blame ourselves for all what we are going through and those we have gone through? I think we should. Why? We placed them there,when they are found wanting we come out to defend them instead of sending them out, when their tenure expires we bring them in again. Isn't this terrible? We need to act fast and make them realize that they must be accountable, reliable and above all, they must work diligently.
There's a yoruba adage that says 'you use your mouth to reject what you can't eat' (paraphrased by me).
This brought me to the conclusion that together we can reject bad governance, corruption, injustice, and a lot of things that are harmful to democracy and our future in the long run.

(Note: Critics are well appreciated. )

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? by AloyalNigerian(m): 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2017
source
Re: What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? by AloyalNigerian(m): 4:23pm On Jan 03, 2017
Re: What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? by pchukwudi: 6:23pm On Jan 03, 2017
"INSTITUTIONALIZED INJUSTICE"
Re: What Is Nigeria's Real Problem? by AloyalNigerian(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2017
pchukwudi:
"INSTITUTIONALIZED INJUSTICE"
Issoryt

(1) (Reply)

Babatunde Fashola Reveals FG Plan To Repair 50 Bridges Nationwide. / Rumuokurusi Election / Best Catering Institution Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.