Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,218 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French (7473 Views)

Obasanjo, Adenuga, Okoya Welcome Buhari To Ogun State (Photos) / You Need To Read What Obasanjo Wants Nigerians To Do On April 11 / CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:41pm On Nov 26, 2009
Sick mess, did i tell you i was competing with your tribe? whichever tribe you may come from. Pls can you post a link to the universities that teach yoruba, slowpoke

So u think I a jobless like you- well let me help you. Yoruba is not offered as a major in any american university i know, but it is offered as a language requirement for most african studies departments so that means you want me to go and search every african studies department in the US, so that i can prove an obvious point.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:42pm On Nov 26, 2009
I said someone said they offered yoruba in some universities- i am talking about in general not one specific university- read ur previous posts where u said someone was a mad man for saying the obvious
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Nov 26, 2009
SEFAGO:

So u think I a jobless like you- well let me help you. Yoruba is not offered as a major in any american university i know, but it is offered as a language requirement for most african studies departments so that means you want me to go and search every african studies department in the US, so that i can prove an obvious point.

Pls can you post a link? else SCRAM
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:43pm On Nov 26, 2009
http://african.lss.wisc.edu/nalrc/prog-serv/nat-coord/lang-inv/yoruba.html

Link of all the departments that instruct on yoruba in the US
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On Nov 26, 2009
SEFAGO:

I said someone said they offered yoruba in some universities- i am talking about in general not one specific university- read your previous posts where u said someone was a mad man for saying the obvious

He said yoruba is taught in MOST american university.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:45pm On Nov 26, 2009
then he changed it to[b] some [/b] later- as i said read all the posts
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Nov 26, 2009
Anyways i did'nt find anything yoruboid in the link you posted.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:48pm On Nov 26, 2009
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:48pm On Nov 26, 2009

i dont understand
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:50pm On Nov 26, 2009
SEFAGO:

i dont understand

Those universities don't have the word "Yoruba " on their site.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:56pm On Nov 26, 2009
And as expected hausa is prolly the most taught african language because it is spoken in several other african countries and seems more significant to people interested in Africa.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:57pm On Nov 26, 2009
See who says i'm starting a tribal fight. You want to tear your boxers simply because i said igbo is equaly taught in many american university.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 2:04pm On Nov 26, 2009
See who says i'm starting a tribal fight. You want to tear your boxers simply because i said igbo is equaly taught in many american university.

you never said that- repeat, read your posts. My main problem was you producing nonfactual information. Why would I care? Of course it wouldn't make sense for igbo to be equally taught because of the fact that yoruba and hausa are seen more as african languages (significantly spoken outside nigeria) as opposed to igbo, with minute speakers in ghana and sierra leone.

Hausa on the otherhand is a true african language spoken in over 6 countries

I am analysing Nigeria's rich heritage, dont really give a damn if the truth worries you mate
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by cheaphost: 2:04pm On Nov 26, 2009
@ SEFAGO

You said yoruba is taught in some american universities and Afam also said the same. So, wetin dey pepper you for body.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 2:07pm On Nov 26, 2009
I was against the notion that yoruba is taught in MOST universities in America. "Most" is a very strong and should be used carefully.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 2:08pm On Nov 26, 2009
tanimsz

Abi? But you dont need to curse the French. True that on making our native languages known worldwide. They teach yoruba in most American colleges, I think thats a progress.

afam4eva- introducing tribal instincts- if you really where against the word most you should have corrected it

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Here my own joke: Igbos is a compusory subject in every university in the world.

tanimsz

Im serious, Yoruba is among one of the languages offered in [b]some [/b]universities. Its not a joke.

she changes to some

Afam4eva's response

Mad people never accept that they are mad.

as if that the point embarassed

Thank God, there are records
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 2:11pm On Nov 26, 2009
Common sense will tell you what i meant.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by thameamead(f): 2:23pm On Nov 26, 2009
can his younger wife - shade speak english, he needs to shut the f*** up, mab he should use some of his millions to build a langauge school so kids can learn, i do not think its too much to ask of someone that loves throwing "owanbe " parties and showing pictures of his million naira naira in ovation magarubbish ooops magazine
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 2:29pm On Nov 26, 2009
Bussiness mogul, Chief Molade Okoya- Thomas i[/b]s calling on Nigerians to learn French and adopt it as their second language.
Speaking at an event when the [b]Alliance Francaise
in Lagos and Nigeria clocked 50, Chief Thomas said the late dictator, Gen. Sani Abacha encouraged Nigerians to learn the language. Those who attended the press conference included Mr. Jean-Claude Jacq, Secretary General, Foundation Alliance Francaise in Paris, Mr. Philippe Lebreton, Director, Alliance Francaise Lagos and Delegue General of Alliance Francaise in Nigeria, Mr. Norbert Cazeilles, Deputy Director, Ambassador Ogunsulire Omotayo Vice President, Mr. Issac Founo, Treasure, the committee members, Mrs. E.I. Efion Ekaha and Mrs. Bawor Omiyi.

Ok, I am going to use some element of common sense and reasoning. The guy was in alliance francaise- what did you expect him to say- "that french is useless"? He spoke for the moment and for the situation- i am sure the guy cannot speak even good english and doesn't really care. I think we should stop looking at the quote out of context
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by becomrich15: 5:18am On Nov 27, 2009
We join the republic of Benin , we learn french.

Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by donjon: 6:58am On Nov 27, 2009
U wish.,.,
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by donjon: 6:59am On Nov 27, 2009
U wish.,.,
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 8:41am On Nov 27, 2009
SEFAGO:

Ok, I am going to use some element of common sense and reasoning. The guy was in alliance francaise- what did you expect him to say- "that french is useless"? He spoke for the moment and for the situation- i am sure the guy cannot speak even good english and doesn't really care. I think we should stop looking at the quote out of context

Nobody is saying that french is useless. All we're saying is that there are more pressing issues we need to confront as a nation as opposed to learning french.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 8:44am On Nov 27, 2009
^ not y point- I think I am trying to understand the mindless criticism against okoya.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 27, 2009
It is a very good idea since most of the West African countries are francophone. Hence learning french would lead to better integration and understanding in the West African sub-region.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:35pm On Nov 27, 2009
^^^^
so?

becomrich is here
*exits thread*
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by tunku(m): 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2009
To those that degenerated this thread into yet another tribal competition, to those people, you are all idiots. I have said this before, I see nothing wrong with speaking French, learning to speak French or another language doesn't mean that you are disowning your own culture or mother tongue. If you feel that way, then shame on you or your parents. I live abroad, have for most of my life now, and I speak Yoruba fluently, yet I am shocked and saddened by the fact that some of my cousins who have spent their entire lives in Nigeria living in Lagos and Abuja view Yoruba as a foreign language, because they never learned to speak it. This is maddening, yes, I know, but that doesn't negate the fact that the positives outweigh to negatives when it comes to picking up another language. Oh by the way, America provides free resources to learn just about any language you can imagine. Igbo, Yoruba, and Swahili are the most African languages taught in University in America.

Oh, and to those idiots lamenting the fact that "they can't speak their own language why bother learning another" here is a good website for you to lift that fog of ignorance from your person.

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Yoruba

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by eneomojo: 6:49pm On Nov 27, 2009
french is a good langauge and i like the idea, but nigerians are hungry and many people found it difficult to even go to school, not to talk of learning french. Richmond.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 27, 2009
Well if you think knowledge is too expensive you will find that ignorance is even more expensive.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by asunaobi(m): 9:47pm On Nov 27, 2009
I suggest all Nigerians should please take out a day for fasting and praying, no matter which religion you belong to.I can see now that our problems cannot be solved by human alone. Our land needs real spiritual healing.
We should ask God to forgive our sins and the sins of our forefathers. We should ask Him to send to us a smart and clever leader.

I believe that the type of brainwash and whitewash put in all Africans is very unfair. One of the results of these is totally lack of self pride and confidence. We as a nation have been speaking english since independence and I bet everyone most nigerians can even speak it more than queen of england. My question is, where has that left us now as a nation. All we have is a confused and a scalar nation. If learning another mans language is the key to development, dont we all think that nigeria as at now will be as organised as england?

Michael Jackson was tricked into changing how God made him to be and before he realised it it was too late for him. His brothers and sisters today looks younger with every new day. May his soul rest in peace though!

There is nothing wrong in individuals who wants to learn how to speak other languages but I see it very sickening when someone wants to make that a national issue. There are many other relevant things to worry about in Nigeria. I think all Africans should learn from Nelson Mandela for stansding for who he was and was ready to die for the course.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Amaechi Or Jang: Whom Would You Have Voted For? / Hon Gbajabiamila Is The New Majority Leader / Update On Bokoharam Fresh Attack In Enugu Which Biafran Youths Retaliated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.