Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) (22403 Views)

Poll: Allowing Nigerians to carry arms in self-defence will:

Reduce the fighting: 40% (34 votes)
Intensify the fighting: 59% (49 votes)
This poll has ended

Men Arrested In Taraba For Causing Religious Crisis - Photos / Religious Crisis In Wukari, Taraba State!!! / What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by strangleyo: 7:14pm On Feb 24, 2009
Abuja — Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) yesterday disclosed that it was considering sending a bill that would allow every adult to carry arms as a way of checking unwarranted attacks to the National Assembly.

The body also took a swipe at what it called the non-challant attitude of President Umaru Musa Yar Adua and Vice President Goodluck Jonathan to the violent crisis in some parts of the North, asking them to resign if they cannot proffer solutions to the problem.

Reviewing the religious crisis in Bauchi and the attendant death toll, CAN Secretary General, Samuel S. Salifu , said at a news conference that it was passing a vote of no confidence on Yar'Adua and Jonathan for their alleged inability to proffer solutions to the crisis.

CAN said it received the news of the killings in Bauchi over the weekend with deep pain and sorrow, adding that it was considering sending a bill to the National Assembly on gun ownership in the country.

"We met this morning and we are considering sending a bill to the National Assembly to facilitate adults who are twenty one years and above to make it legal to own arms and weapons.

"Everybody should buy his own gun, Right now, as we are talking, they are still killing people in Bauchi. Where are the security people?" he said.

CAN said reports from Bauchi State showed that about 11 Nigerians were burnt to death out of which six were christians while three were burnt beyond recognition. It said 12 churches and a mosque were burnt and several houses destroyed over the weekend in the mayhem.

According to the CAN scribe, "over the weekend and even today (yesterday), we got the reports on the killings and we tried to reach on phone one of the Special Advisers to the Governor by name Adamu, who assured us that the situation was under control but thereafter I asked him to call me back but he didn't up till now. We also tried to reach the Vice President on the situation but could not.

" What bothers us most is that the president and vice president of this country have the responsibility of providing security for the citizens, The perception there fore to CAN is that the President and the Vice are very weak in tackling the situation".

Because if these things happens in other parts of the world, in whatever form, you find the president coming out to address the country.

"This is not the first time we have been having this in this country. We had it during Shagari time, he was a muslim too, but he talked on it, so we don't know why our present president is dumb and is saying nothing. As Christians with options , we are expecting the president to come out and condemn this act as soon as possible. Life is sacred and it must be respected. If he finds it very difficult, himself and his vice and they are not intending to take responsibility, then they should resign."

SOURCE: http://allafrica.com/stories/200902240149.html

^^ I agree, Nigerians should have the right to carry arms. With all these gangs running amok with illegal arms, nothing better than having your own legal one just in case.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by SeanT21(f): 7:16pm On Feb 24, 2009
Please,That will cause an even bigger trouble!!
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by MP007(m): 8:26pm On Feb 24, 2009
dont even try it in nigeria,
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kobojunkie: 8:34pm On Feb 24, 2009
Oh Please!!! Like it is not already ALL MAN FOR HIMSELF in that country.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by bawomolo(m): 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2009
Every man has a right to defend themselves. I see nothing bad with the right to bear arms.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by roodest: 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2009
YES!!!!
we might have issues with gun control at first but when we kill each other finish, we go get brain!
hint: mortuary business go boom anyhow
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by mustafar1: 8:39pm On Feb 24, 2009
we now have a right be bear arm? i didnt know that.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by asha80(m): 8:41pm On Feb 24, 2009
Anya ga ahu anyi iwa na obodo a lipsrsealed
Our eyes will see pepper in this country
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 8:43pm On Feb 24, 2009
I dont think Nigeria is ready for such.
Would be nice to keep in the house though, so that when those muda"suckers" comes at night, you cld blow dem brain off, but carry it on da street, i am not sure it is a good idea.
Except they wanna use that as a means to control the population
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2009
asha 80:

Anya ga ahu anyi iwa na obodo a lipsrsealed
Our eyes will see pepper in this country

We don dey see pepper for tay!! Who no dey enter that country with at least matchete for pocket? lol
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by bawomolo(m): 8:50pm On Feb 24, 2009
Has there been a break down of law and order in texas? i doubt anyone messes with those rednecks and their hunting guns. The right to bear arms is the way to go. protect yourself if the government won't do it.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by mustafar1: 8:51pm On Feb 24, 2009
them wan import drive by shooting and all its other siblings and cousins.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Feb 24, 2009
must_a_far:

them wan import drive by shooting and all its other siblings and cousins.

Which one be import? You never dey watch nollywood movies? We already get all that and more. We get all the cousins, anti-cousins and plenty plenty down down. roflmao!!
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2009
bawomolo:

Has there been a break down of law and order in texas? i doubt anyone messes with those rednecks and their hunting guns.  The right to bear arms is the way to go.  protect yourself if the government won't do it.

You wanna compare death with sleeping, how can u compare sane texas with insanity of Nigeria.
At least the rednecks dont go around shooting anyhow, except on some rear cases, but give Nigerians a gun, and everyone will be in trouble.
Though, the only good news that will come out of it is that "olopas" the police man will think before pointing the useless Aba made riffles at people, cos now they know we all have AKs
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by RichyBlacK(m): 9:05pm On Feb 24, 2009
Bad idea.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by mustafar1: 9:06pm On Feb 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Which one be import? You never dey watch nollywood movies? We already get all that and more. We get all the cousins, anti-cousins and plenty plenty down down. roflmao!!

i dey see am for the few nollyhood flicks wey i watch but i think say dem be 'film trick' computer generated and all.

seriously though, i want to know the rationale behind this WANT by CAN and whatever other religious body that comes out in future to support CAN.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 24, 2009
i think it can do some good as long as it is controlled,
YES: right to have a firearm in your home for self defense.
NO: right to walk around with it to go grocery shopping.
most bandits carry weapons anyway, it's about time somebody start to shoot back!
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by bawomolo(m): 9:27pm On Feb 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

You wanna compare death with sleeping, how can u compare sane texas with insanity of Nigeria.
At least the rednecks dont go around shooting anyhow, except on some rear cases, but give Nigerians a gun, and everyone will be in trouble.
Though, the only good news that will come out of it is that "olopas" the police man will think before pointing the useless Aba made riffles at people, cos now they know we all have AKs

you don't go around shooting anyhow knowing someone in texas probably has a concealed weapon in his pocket.  The right to bear arms creates a level playing field.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 24, 2009
we already have a nation of people who cant control their tempers compounded by economic frustration bearing live arms? grin God help the police when they ask for their N20.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by ElRazur: 9:44pm On Feb 24, 2009
Gun ownership in a messed up country, been supported by those who are supposed to have their heads screwed on - CAN [christain association of Nigeria]. Oh God. The irony.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2009
bawomolo:

you don't go around shooting anyhow knowing someone in texas probably has a concealed weapon in his pocket.  The right to bear arms creates a level playing field.

You will agree with me that Nigerians loves power and anything to achieve that power is what they will do, if puling the trigger at every opportunity they get will, they will do it, besides, how do u think they settles scores at the night club with a dude checking out their babe, or how would they tell a bus conductor to shut up, if he refuse to respect them, My guy, Nigeria is not ready for such.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 9:50pm On Feb 24, 2009
davidylan:

we already have a nation of people who cant control their tempers compounded by economic frustration bearing live arms? grin God help the police when they ask for their N20.

I think i will only support it, if the owners sign a contract that they will only deal with the uniform thieves "olopas"
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Thadude(m): 9:52pm On Feb 24, 2009
We are only deceiving and cheating ourselves. Aren't there arms already floating?, isnt it the same arms they use in kidnapping kids in lagos nowadays, from 419 to kidnapping? It is only in Nigeria that opportunities aren't created, they always fight the last fight first no sequence. Why did they fight 419 without creating jobs or beef up security to meet the challenge that those 419ers will pose, if they werent ready to deal with the challenge they should have left those boys alone let the white man profer solution to their own problem or they should have created awareness in the west. Now the fustrated youths make up the Niger-delta force under the pretence of fight for self determination they found the easiest of all scam which is kidnapping whiteman, now that the only whiteman available to them are russians and philipinos whos govt dont give a shit about them, they have migrated to lagos and other states. They should have gone to kidnap the children and wives Yaradua, governors and all those bastard senators who proliferated arms to win election so that they will see what common men see on a daily basis. This is what you get. They have turned Nigeria into Brazil and columbia combined! the only way out now is for self protection offcourse we know GOD wont come down to protect us, as the saying goes heaven protect those who protect themselves. We can protect ourselves in our homes. If u cross my boundary and try to kidnap my son u get shot! if a policeman shots my friend, i shot him back shikena! so with this I support the right to bear arm, when u are pushed to wall there is no other option than to push back. Or should we start killing innocent muslims of northern decent in the south and east? that is simply senseless , what was the governor of Bauchi doing?why didnt he send in security agents to crush and arrest those bastards? Why hasnt Yaradua spoken?, this is insane.
Light no dey, Work no dey, food cost, transportation na wahala, crime plenty and they wanna waste money rebranding Nigeria useless people.

Person wan go naija now, e no dey think about money wen e go spend na fear make e go come back safely!, Anyway i m not suprise these are signs that the blood revolution is around the corner.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by netotse(m): 9:56pm On Feb 24, 2009
wot is tripping me abt this matter is that it is CAN that is opening its mouth to say this rubbish, personally i think the person behind that idea is an IDIOT
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 9:58pm On Feb 24, 2009
Tha_dude:

We are only deceiving and cheating ourselves. Aren't there arms already floating?, isnt it the same arms they use in kidnapping kids in lagos nowadays, from 419 to kidnapping? It is only in Nigeria that opportunities aren't created, they always fight the last fight first no sequence. Why did they fight 419 without creating jobs or beef up security to meet the challenge that those 419ers will pose. This is what you get. They have turned Nigeria into Brazil and columbia combined! the only way out now is for self protection offcourse we know GOD wont come down to protect us, as the saying goes heaven protect those who protect themselves. We can protect ourselves in our homes. If u cross my boundary and try to kidnap my son u get shot! if a policeman shots my friend, i shot him back shikena! so with this I support the right to bear arm, when u are pushed to wall there is no other option than to push back. Or should we start killing innocent muslims of northern decent in the south and east? that is simply senseless , what was the governor of Bauchi doing?why didnt he send in security agents to crush and arrest those bastards? Why hasnt Yaradua spoken?, this is insane.
Light no dey, Work no dey, food cost, transportation na wahala, crime plenty and they wanna waste money rebranding Nigeria useless people.

You have spoke so well, however, innocent people will be terminated at early age as well, cos people will own gun without knowledge of how to shoot.

netotse:

wot is tripping me abt this matter is that it is CAN that is opening its mouth to say this rubbish, personally i think the person behind that idea is an IDIOT

no need to call them idiots, i thot there is freedom of opinion and speech in Nigeria, cos we dont agree with them dont make them idiots now, haba
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Thadude(m): 10:18pm On Feb 24, 2009
@ fhemmmy

Innocent people are already dieing. How many innocent life should we loose!,  Look at what happened in rivers to the supporters club guys 2days back. If those guy in the bus had guns they would have defended themselves and died with honour!, close ur eyes and imagine urself in on the hospital bed with gun shot wounds then u will get a better picture.
Who knows it might be me or you tomorrow. Its painful! In America there are drive by shootings yet its safer than Nigeria. Imagine those bastard kidnappers going to church to kidnap kids, didnt u hear of the kidnappers who shot an 11yr girl in PH because they wanted to kidnap her 9yr old brother that is completely insane. I cried when i read it!, its so painful cutting short the life of a young lady who doesnt have an idea of wht happening politically.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by mustafar1: 10:25pm On Feb 24, 2009
Tha_dude:

@ fhemmmy

Innocent people are already dieing. How many innocent life should we loose!,  Look at what happened in rivers to the supporters club guys 2days back. If those guy in the bus had guns they would have defended themselves and died with honour!, close ur eyes and imagine urself in on the hospital bed with gun shot wounds then u will get a better picture.
Who knows it might be me or you tomorrow. Its painful! In America there are drive by shootings yet its safer than Nigeria. Imagine those bastard kidnappers going to church to kidnap kids, didnt u hear of the kidnappers who shot an 11yr girl in PH because they wanted to kidnap her 9yr old brother that is completely insane. I cried when i read it!, its so painful cutting short the life of a young lady who doesnt have an idea of wht happening politically.

america is safe not because everyone has a right to bear arm but because they have government agencies that are equipped to take care of the different bruhaha that could pop up. even with that, it doesnt stop a riot from happening, and when riots happen even the government finds it hard to control, and all the guns available to civilians wont stop the destruction.

all the guns available in america doesnt reduce the chances of getting mugged in the park, getting shot dead in the lobby of the parkhill projects, its doesnt stop execution style killings in the south bronx. you get attached both parties draw their weapons and before u know it the same kids u r trying to protect by carrying a gun is down bleeding from the bullet of one of those involved in the shooting not because she was shot at but because the bullet bounced off the hard ground.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 10:26pm On Feb 24, 2009
i heard you my guy and trust me i do share your feelings, however, a messed up nation will only get messier and even the foolish govt have no idea how to deal with the catastrophes.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by christ4mi(f): 10:52pm On Feb 24, 2009
shocked shocked cool tongue The truth is gradually coming to light, I knw right from beginnin CAN is a terrorist organization. I have seen CAN led churches keeping guns in the so called place of Worship. I am an ex christian. Now I chose to be a democratic scientologist as my religion. Because Biblie is a false book. The Full naming of CAN is collection Anti Nigeria. What do u knw with gun laws Only terrorist believe in using Gun. U are a disgrace, Bleep CAN, if u wanna be down with CAN Bleep u and fucking momma, I make sure all ur offspring do not grow, Bitch out punks!
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kobojunkie: 11:03pm On Feb 24, 2009
Personally, I am against arming Nigerians with this as I really do not feel we are advanced enough as humans to handle such responsibility. But, knowing how dangerous life in Nigeria can get in a split of a second, I actually believe there is need for people to arm themselves when down there. You can easily purchase firearm from ebay and ship it down to you while you are there so you at least protect your family.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 11:03pm On Feb 24, 2009
christ4mi:

shocked shocked cool tongue The truth is gradually coming to light, I knw right from beginnin CAN is a terrorist organization. I have seen CAN led churches keeping guns in the so called place of Worship. I am an ex christian. Now I chose to be a democratic scientologist as my religion. Because Biblie is a false book. The Full naming of CAN is collection Anti Nigeria. What do u knw with gun laws Only terrorist believe in using Gun. U are a disgrace, mess CAN, if u wanna be down with CAN mess u and fucking momma, I make sure all ur offspring do not grow, Bitch out punks!

Lol
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by strangleyo: 11:06pm On Feb 24, 2009
Gun ownership would be the best thing that happen to Nigeria.

Having a few guns stashed in the closet at night will ward off those window climbing imbeciles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Letter To First Lady By Dele Momodu / BREAKING: Senior WAEC Official Confirms Buhari’s Secondary School Results / NLC, TUC To Ground Activities Nationwide From Oct 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.