Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:29 PM

Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French (7554 Views)

Obasanjo, Adenuga, Okoya Welcome Buhari To Ogun State (Photos) / You Need To Read What Obasanjo Wants Nigerians To Do On April 11 / CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by omar22(m): 8:06am On Nov 24, 2009
Nona David the author of Feddie Girl, has a facebook page that I went through the profile and a certain Amaka Eze who once studied in Abuja (I could remember you saying that you spent sometime in Abuja) was on it, following the conversation it sounded just like you,
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:07am On Nov 24, 2009
lol
Abuja? me?
ive never been to abuja before.
now i know you have the wrong person.
the only states i have ever stepped my legs into are lagos, imo state, and river state.
and i am born and raised in the US, never studied in naija.
MOST DEF the wrong person.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by omar22(m): 8:12am On Nov 24, 2009
Oh well my mistake, its nice for once we don't have to be at each other throat,
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:12am On Nov 24, 2009
yeah, true. lolol
cheesy
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by omar22(m): 8:15am On Nov 24, 2009
Oh well, am off to work catch you guys when I log on,
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by deor03(m): 8:26am On Nov 24, 2009
dinggle:

Whats this??, the english language our british colonial masters brought upon us, "are we fit speak am well"? If they want us to learn and speak french, they should tell the french embassy to grant visa to french graduates to continue their studies in France. I tell y'all Nigeria will turn a french country over nite. Telling me to learn french in order to communicate with Senegalese, Malians, Ivorians, Togolese is an INSULT!.

The benefits of speaking French + English gives the speaker ability to  

1. communicate with 28%-30% of the world population
2. Interact  comfortably in over 80% of AFRICA

For a business man this is awesome opportunities.
For an employee, more opportunities!!

I don't understand why/how this is an insult
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by asunaobi(m): 8:54am On Nov 24, 2009
Nigeria! all over the place, NPA ( No proper Arrangement). Maybe after 'French' we will be told to learn 'Russian or Portugese'. Did he said it was suggested by Abacha? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. There is nothing wrong though in learning 'French' and adding that to our port folio if that will help to unite us as one people, but I would have thought that again we are trying to import what we have in plenty. I thought we have more than 50 or so spoken languages in Nigeria. What about introducing a language that will be very unique to all Nigerians. A language that Nigerians can speak among themselves outside our shores without other people understanding. WAS IT NOT SAID THAT 'CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME'?
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Bongoman1: 9:36am On Nov 24, 2009
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 24, 2009
There is nothing wrong with idea of learning a second language, it gives u an opportunity career wise just to name a few,

do u know u can study for free in french universities if only u can read,write and speak french fluently, but am not sure u can get a free education from any british universities, i recently called my parents up to allow my little brother to continue with his french class in junior schl up to senior schl, just that i can get him into top schls in switzerland with ease.

and for myself, am currently learning german cos my wife is from germany and that is already opening up good opportunities,

as for learning Mandarin, its a choice. i lived in singapore for 4.5years and believe me i cant speak a word from it,

y?, the pple are totally unfriendly towards africans and why do i have to learn their language even propaganda says the future is theirs,

i wonder how a future could be in the hands of a man whose economic is export driven, and has a competitive advantage of using cheap labour to produce cheap products for export, sorry in economic sense, i dont see it happening.

to an  individual's advantage in the new global village, a 2nd language is another tool on your resume, only a fool will be disputing such advice.

just my 2cents.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by omar22(m): 12:38pm On Nov 24, 2009
@shellboy

Thank you, nuff said!!!
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by theviper1: 4:35pm On Nov 24, 2009
@shellboy, thanks 4 that post,i got back to this topic based on what someone said about mandarin. looks like some folks are still out of touch with stats and modern day realities.china is a big country with big export potentials,bt that is where it ends. now to the author of that post,it will interest u to know that 1 million chinese enrolled in US universities last year and it is expected to grow this year. they have stepped a lot away from their regular studying of science subs to arts just to learn english and stay afloat with todays world. if the chinese ever thought that mandarin is the future,believe me nigga,they will never go anywhere to study. china is still millions of years away from being what the US of A and the great Britain are. how about they start by being democratic and respecters of basic human rights? as for the french,there is nothing wrong with having a secret weapon up your language sleeves. u never can tell when and where it might be useful. i love languages and i do my best to learn as much as i can. i speak both french and portuguese.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 24, 2009
does okoya thomas speak ordinary pidgin?
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 24, 2009
The whole idea that Africans need to learn a European language in order to communicate with one another is something I find repulsive in the extreme.

The likes of Okoya-Thomas should be using their clout to push for a Pan African language derived from the continent.

There is no other continent on earth where non indigenous languages are given such priority as in Africa. This is really tragic and needs to change!!!! Tufia!! (Spit)
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 24, 2009
I dont see why it should be a priority now- maybe someone can enlighten us.

I thought Nigerians were struggling with poverty, no electricity and bad roads.

will learning French help in some way?
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by omar22(m): 6:02pm On Nov 24, 2009
The whole idea that Africans need to learn a European language in order to communicate with one another is something I find repulsive in the extreme

Africans Speak French, Spanish or Dutch its got nothing to do with Europeans, in the end its to your own benefit not Okoya or the government
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Dressmaker(f): 8:39am On Nov 25, 2009
WOW!Great idea.I have been thinking of learning french.By the way,did Okoya-Thomas say that in french.Its good to practice what you preach.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by HeroKing: 10:49am On Nov 25, 2009
Dear all,

As I said in my first post on this topic, the francophone countries are always looking for skilled professionals because they are lean on ground when it comes to that.

Below is an evidence of one. I got the request from one of my foreign contacts who is an head hunter.
============================================================================================

Dear Sir

Hope you doing great!! Just need your help.

Request you to please refer for the position of “Head of Information Technology” with a leading Microfinance Institute.
Candidate must be fluent in French language

THE REQUIREMENTS

• Degree in Computer Sciences or Information Technology
• Five (5) years experience (minimum). Experience in commercial and/or microfinance banking would be an asset;

Experience in all information system, designing, and implementing the IT infrastructure, and developing IT budget, policies and procedures.
The reporting line is to the CEO & is based in Burkina Faso.

In case there are people who meet the requirement, please mail me at hero.kingdom@yahoo.com

regards.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Smi1(m): 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2009
I'm born in a french country so i think i got no problem with that, i even speak arabic cheesy, but i think adapting french as a second language in nigeria will be very difficult
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2009
ROSSIKE:

The whole idea that Africans need to learn a European language in order to communicate with one another is something I find repulsive in the extreme.

The likes of Okoya-Thomas should be using their clout to push for a Pan African language derived from the continent.

There is no other continent on earth where non indigenous languages are given such priority as in Africa. This is really tragic and needs to change!!!! Tufia!! (Spit)
wink
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 3:01pm On Nov 25, 2009
MAY GOD PUNISH FRENCH, I neva learn English and Igbo(ibo) finish and they are telling me to learn french as if it's a ticket to heaven. What have we benefited from the English that we've learnt. Enough of this colonized mentality. Why don't we work to make our own native languages known worldwide so that others can learn ours.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Smi1(m): 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2009
afam4eva:

MAY GOD PUNISH FRENCH, I neva learn English and Igbo(ibo) finish and they are telling me to learn french as if it's a ticket to heaven. What have we benefited from the English that we've learnt. Enough of this colonized mentality. Why don't we work to make our own native languages known worldwide so that others can learn ours.

lOLxx, you are right abeg!!
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by tanimz(f): 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2009
afam4eva:

Abi? But you dont need to curse the French. True that on making our native languages known worldwide. They teach yoruba in most American colleges, I think thats a progress.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2009
tanimz:

They teach yoruba in most American colleges, I think thats a progress.

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Here my own joke: Igbos is a compusory subject in every university in the world.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by tanimz(f): 8:32pm On Nov 25, 2009
afam4eva:

[/b]
Is that supposed to be a joke?

Here my own joke: Igbos is a compusory subject in every university in the world.

Im serious, Yoruba is among one of the languages offered in some universities. Its not a joke.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by asunaobi(m): 10:05pm On Nov 25, 2009
God bless you my brother! You made my day. Our forefathers who never went to school and who could.nt speak any word in English or French or whatever, where able to fight and retained Africa for their children and grand children. But now with all our so claimed education and exposure we are slowly slowly giving our continent back to them. It is only a stupid fish, that could not differentiate between a bait and real food under the sea, that is been caught by the hook. I was so glad that Dr mahathir Mohammad of Malaysia was in Nigeria to enlighten them. I hope they will listen. The Russians, Japanese, Chinese, south Koreans, Malaysians, to mention but a few are great and amazing countries. It was not because these countires speak English or French.

We should imagine, using our native languages to explain the principles of Physics or Chemistry citing local examples. The understanding, assimilation and retention wil be much more higher than when taught in another mans language with examples so foreign to most of us.

afam4eva:

Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:14pm On Nov 26, 2009
tanimz:

Im serious, Yoruba is among one of the languages offered in some universities. Its not a joke.

Mad people never accept that they are mad.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:19pm On Nov 26, 2009
Abi? But you dont need to curse the French. True that on making our native languages known worldwide. They teach yoruba in most American colleges, I think thats a progress.

I think you should change it to, they teach yoruba in some american universities- and yes that is correct
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:26pm On Nov 26, 2009
SEFAGO:

I think you should change it to, they teach yoruba in some american universities- and yes that is correct

They also teach Igbo too. I know Yale teaches Igbo and yoruba.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:29pm On Nov 26, 2009
Oh, i didn't know this was a tribal competition- anyways do u go to yale? no, then shut up  grin.

A lot of other universities teach nigerian languages, but the most common language being taught is yoruba.
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:32pm On Nov 26, 2009
SEFAGO:

Oh, i didn't know this was a tribal competition- anyways do u go to yale? no, then shut up  grin.

A lot of other universities teach nigerian languages, but the most common language being taught is yoruba.

Sick Bleep, did i tell you i was competing with your tribe? whichever tribe you may come from. Pls can you post a link to the universities that teach yoruba, slowpoke
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by SEFAGO(m): 1:38pm On Nov 26, 2009
The problem is that yale doesn't teach igbo intensively, while yoruba is one of the four language requirements you could complete if u want to get a degree in african studies- the others being kiswahili, zulu and arabic.

Hence why I a questioning ur motive. Someone said they offer yoruba, you say na lie, b4 it u make round about turn then add igbo to it- what do u want me to think?
Re: Okoya-thomas Wants Nigerians To Learn French by Afam4eva(m): 1:40pm On Nov 26, 2009
SEFAGO:

Hence why I a questioning your motive. Someone said they offer yoruba, you say na lie, b4 it u make round about turn then add igbo to it- what do u want me to think?

Pls quote me where i said that Yoruba is not taught in Yale.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osibanjo's Daughter Denied Access To The Inauguration VIP Stage. / Supreme Court Upholds Committal Of Ex-BPE DG, Alex Okoh To Prison / YouWiN Women Applicants First Round Results Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.