Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,075 members, 7,821,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? (3432 Views)

What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / What's Programming Lauguage Do You Think Is Best To Start With / 2017 Generation Of Programmers - What Languages Are You Using? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by ItuExchange(m): 12:26am On Jan 06, 2017
There are literally hundreds - possibly thousands of languages out there.
All but a few are used either very rarely, or not at all.

Some were designed to be useless (Brainfuck, Whitespace - which are intentionally almost impossible to write code in) - some were made for theoretical purposes only (subleq - the simplest programming language possible which only has one instruction) - some were interesting ideas but of little to no use (Befunge is a two-dimensional programming language). Some are for extreme niche applications (NQC is only used for programming Lego robots!).

Some have aged so badly that they are confined to very small, dying niches - you probably shouldn’t bother learning APL, Snobol or COBOL. BASIC has also kinda gone the way of the Dodo too.

Honestly, you have to look at the tasks you want to undertake - or the career path you intend to follow - and pick the few languages that seem most useful.

Most programmers will (at some time) need to make a webpage - so JavaScript makes good sense for nearly everyone. If you plan to write games, then C++ and C# would be important to you. If you’re making web servers then you’ll need PHP (I feel very sad when I say that - PHP is horrible!) If you want to contribute to the Linux kernel - then you’ll need to know C. If you want to get into banking and accountancy - then maybe you DO want to learn COBOL, but certainly Java should be on your short-list. Python is a good language to learn if you want to put code together quickly, but execution speed is unimportant.

There is a reason why there are hundred of programming languages…the world actually NEEDS the capabilities of at least half of them.

But it all depends on what you’re going to be working on.

If you NEVER want to work on web servers - then by all means avoid PHP like the plague.
If you don’t see yourself ever writing high performance code - probably don’t bother with C++ because it’s *so* complicated.

If you’re never going to be a 3D graphics engineer - you probably won’t ever need GLSL and/or HLSL.

If you’re never going to work on projects for the US military - by all means skip Ada.

As a working programmer, I probably know 10 languages well enough to sit down and start coding without looking at a book: C, C++, C#, GLSL, HLSL, JavaScript, PHP, Python, Java…at least a few more. I’ve learned at least 30 languages over my 40 year career - typically only just well enough to get some particular job done…some that I was once good at (Pascal, Ada, FORTRAN, Algol-60, various assembly-languages) I’m so far out of practice that I’d have to re-learn them!

So expect to get good at learning new languages - you’ll be doing that quite often. I can probably pick up enough of a language to write code in just a few days…but to get good at it takes much longer.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-programming-languages-are-a-waste-of-time-to-learn

Neteller here: www..com.ng

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 06, 2017
HTML GEJ
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 06, 2017
Nice one. But, from your own experience, why is PHP "horrible?"

I want to believe you are a "veteran" in programming, and not some newbie like me. And you are not stereotypes who can't even attempt creating a basic website but go about shouting "best" and "worst" programming languages.

So, can you share with us exactly why you think PHP is "horrible"

Probably while you were building projects with you found out how horrible PHP is.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 06, 2017
these are what i m mastering throughout my lifetime. cuz i m more interested in web applications and development. html5> css3> javascript libraries like jquery, ajax, angular etc.>php>mysql. any other language can go wash down d river. php itslf is not horrible. if a horrible programmer writes php, it may still complie horribly well but with expected results, thus increasing ur burden d more as it creates maintainance mess and headaches.
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by AntiWailer: 11:37pm On Jan 06, 2017
ZestAri:

I want to believe you are a "veteran" in programming, and not some newbie like me. And you are not stereotypes who can't even attempt creating a basic website but go about shouting "best" and "worst" programming languages.

Probably while you were building projects with you found out how horrible PHP is.

If you are young, invest your time in DotNet / Java and stay away from PHP

Given that advice to peeps years ago and some are regretting it now.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jan 07, 2017
Coin2naira:
these are what i m mastering throughout my lifetime. cuz i m more interested in web applications and development. html5> css3> javascript libraries like jquery, ajax, angular etc.>php>mysql. any other language can go wash down d river. php itslf is not horrible. if a horrible programmer writes php, it may still complie horribly well but with expected results, thus increasing ur burden d more as it creates maintainance mess and headaches.

Very well then, if PHP is "horrible", what programming language do you use to build the server side of your websites?

Or, what programming languages powers websites out there? And going by job openings in Nigeria, and web specifically, are there more or less PHP jobs than there are for other programming languages?
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by onedayatime(m): 9:53pm On Jan 07, 2017
ZestAri:

you can see the op shared a link to quora. Basically, the op shared us a link. Any question you have should be ask by clicking on the source page
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by danidee10(m): 9:58pm On Jan 07, 2017
Brainfuck or any programming language that was intentionally built to be incomprehensible
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by appcypher: 10:14pm On Jan 07, 2017
What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn?
None!
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Davny(m): 5:02am On Jan 08, 2017
am a newbie o, i just started learning Java, any special advice?
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2017
Davny:
am a newbie o, i just started learning Java, any special advice?
gud 4u, den ur specialty shuld be mobile app development> android games/web mobile apps etc. i think.
Re: What Programming Languages Are A Waste Of Time To Learn? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2019
I want to Learn and master WEB DEVELOPMENT but I am a complete beginner and don't know a pin about programming. I am so passionate to be a good programmer and be very industrious Digitalwise but my problem is I don't have any basic experience. I would love to begin with web/WordPress development and design, coupled with JAVASCRIPT and PYTHON.
My questions are;
(1) How Long do you think it will take me to master these

(2) Can I get a private tutor here who can help me out with accommodation too

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Made You Want To Learn Programming? Share Your Story / Is Excel Vba Popular In Your Country / Android Quiz App With Php And MYSQL Database

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.