Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,461 members, 7,846,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:31 AM

How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home (1286 Views)

How To Prepare For Retirement Without Stress / Daughter And Mother Die While Travelling To Prepare For Her Wedding. Photo / HELP' I Need Ideas On What To Prepare For Naming Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by MarvellEmpire: 1:02pm On Jan 06, 2017
Nkwobi could be made from almost any kind of meat in Nigeria. We have goat meat, cow tail,
chicken, turkey and bush meat nkwobi, different kinds of bush meats could be used in making nkwobi which includes grass-cutter, antelope, rabbit and even squirrel in some cases.

Ingredients for Nkwobi (serving: 5 persons)
1. Meat of choice (chicken, turkey, bush meat, cow tail etc) | 2KG
2. 2 bulbs of onions
3. 2 cubes of maggi
4. Ugba (2 to 3 bunch)
5. Slized utazi leaves (a handful) (ehu 2 seeds (blend it)
6. Palm oil (about 10cl)
7. Akanwu powder (edible potash) half spoon full
8. Salt and pepper to taste

Preparations
1. Parboil the meat with every necessary ingredients (1 cube of maggi, salt, 1 bulb of
onions, curry, thyme and other condiments of choice). add more water and cook till the meat
is tender enough for consumption.

2. Pick out the meat from the pot when it is almost dried (allow the meat to get dried so the ingredients would stick to it).

3. Dissolve the akanwu (potash) in a cup of water and filter into a pot or mortar. a small mortar
is used traditionally to make nkwobi in Nigeria but a pot is also permitted if you can't get a
mortar.

4. Add about 10cl of red oil and stir to get a yellowish thick solution.

5. Add a cube of maggi.

6. Add salt/pepper and ground ehu

7.Add the ugba and stir vigorously

8.Pick out the hot meat that is still cooking, allow to cool off before adding to the entire solution
stir very well, then taste and add more salt/ pepper till it is as tasteful as you desire.

9. Sprinkle the sliced utazi/onions at the top as you dish out in plates

You just made a delicious nkwobi, one of Nigeria's most popular evening recipes. Nkwobi is served alone in Nigerian bars and restaurant with drinks of all kind, also try cooked white yam its a very interesting combination.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by joycesims(f): 1:20pm On Jan 06, 2017
licks lips! I use ngu in place of akanwu tho!

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by MarvellEmpire: 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2017
joycesims:

Ok, that should also definitely go well. Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 06, 2017
joycesims:
What's that pls?
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by joycesims(f): 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2017
Nma27:
What's that pls?

its a liquid stuff mum brings from Villa, like potash water but not potash, something else healthier than potash, esp if u are intolerant to it like me! tastes the same too.
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by Mistymash: 3:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
please I want to learn how to make esewu also. Thnk you
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by Richy4(m): 10:47pm On Jan 06, 2017
A good pic would have been cool so we know what you were talking about
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by MarvellEmpire: 10:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
Richy4:
A good pic would have been cool so we know what you were talking about

You are a man like me who knows what the topic is about. I guess if you didn't know it you might not comment. Maybe when I prepare some again I will take pictures of it because I didn't think of posting a picture with my post.
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by Richy4(m): 12:27am On Jan 07, 2017
MarvellEmpire:

You are a man like me who knows what the topic is about. [s]I guess if you didn't know it you might not comment[/s]. Maybe when I prepare some again I will take pictures of it because I didn't think of posting a picture with my post.

I am sorry if I offended by asking for a picture... But your statement is kinda shallow.. you should have warned that the thread was meant for only the people that knows the food...people that doesn't know or seen how the food looks like should not comment or ask questions...So people won't make the mistake i just made by asking to see how the food looks like...My apologizes once more for entering to a restricted area
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by MarvellEmpire: 12:35am On Jan 07, 2017
Richy4:

I am sorry if I offended by asking for a picture... But your statement is kinda shallow.. you should have warned that the thread was meant for only the people that knows the food...people that doesn't know or seen how the food looks like should not comment or ask questions...So people won't make the mistake i just made by asking to see how the food looks like...My apologizes once more for entering to a restricted area

You are welcome and I also didn't mean to offend you. If your question was about the meaning of Nkwobi then I would have probably explained better and shown a random picture gotten online because I can be seen via Google Images. I probably must have responded without any bad intentions thinking you had an idea about Nkwobi before entering the thread to know how it's being prepared as the topic implied.

My bad
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by Chiebunigom: 1:53am On Jan 07, 2017
joycesims:

its a liquid stuff mum brings from Villa, like potash water but not potash, something else healthier than potash, esp if u are intolerant to it like me! tastes the same too.

Ngu is ashes from burnt dried oil palm fruit fronds. Also better than potash used for igba ncha or food catalyst for different Igbo dishes. A very good alternative to potash especially for those who usually develop stomach ache or frequent stooling after eating meals prepared with potash.
Re: How To Prepare Nkwobi At Home by joycesims(f): 9:40am On Jan 07, 2017
cheesy
Chiebunigom:

Ngu is ashes from burnt dried oil palm fruit fronds. Also better than potash used for igba ncha or food catalyst for different Igbo dishes. A very good alternative to potash especially for those who usually develop stomach ache or frequent stooling after eating meals prepared with potash.

Abu m onye township, thanks tho cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Wife Is Not Proud Of Me, She Is Just Too Plain, Too Emotionless- Man Shares M / A 32 INCHES SMART LED TV . NOT AVAILABLE AGAIN / My Girlfriend Donated Her Kidney To Save Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.