Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke (28388 Views)

Poll: Mourinho is

Over-rated: 36% (4 votes)
Simply good: 63% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Louis Van Gaal Still A Tactical Genius? / Genius Messi Breaks Another Record Set By Raul. / Cesc Fabregas - The Spanish Genius At The Heart Of Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2009
I'm sorry Sneijder and Etoo were not his choice.

He wanted a midfielder. Sneijder, a good player, not getting games at Real madrid was available. he took the plunge.
We all know about Etoo. He clearly did not want Abrahamovic to leave.

Muntari?? Balotelli?? Pssshh

Quaresma clearly did not live up to expectation. This can happen to the best of players.
Does veron ring a bell?

Now tell us what he has achieved at Inter Milan except winning 3 out of 13 CL games as Inter's manager
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Ibime(m): 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

@topic
was Jose a coach at Barca?
fcking translator he was

Jose became assistant manager at Barca.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 3:44pm On Nov 25, 2009
Ibime:

Jose became assistant manager at Barca.
to who?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Ibime(m): 3:45pm On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

to who?

C'mon nucca, with the proliferation of information on the WWW, you still dey ask question?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Cristalz(f): 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2009
LOL grin
Would it kill you to just answer his question? grin
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Ibime(m): 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2009
^^^ I abhor mental laziness and inertia grin
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2009
OMO IBO:

Dude, stop cherrypicking.
If you look at the bigger picture, you'd agree with me that even SAF has nothing on him.

lol
u never give up shey. lets leave this

Ibime:

C'mon nucca, with the proliferation of information on the WWW, you still dey ask question?
with Robson? NO
with van Gaal, maybe as a coach of team B

i saw him more as a backend coaching staff not in the likes of Quieroz and Sammy lee
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 3:53pm On Nov 25, 2009
Ibime:

^^^ I abhor mental laziness and inertia grin
read with ur brains open
thts wht makes u a brilliant dude

from the evidence of ur post, ure dull

i dont need to read this at this time and age, ive known all these since Jesus was alive
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

Now tell us what he has achieved at Inter Milan except winning 3 out of 13 CL games as Inter's manager
Again, cherrypicking.
Look at the bigger picture.

Is he out of the champions league? NO.
can he still win the champions league despite losing to barca? without the shadow of a doubt.
Is he winning games in the League? Yes

I'd rather judge him at the of the season when everything is done and dusted.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

I have followed the career of Jose Mourinho since early in the century and I personally feel he is overrated.

He won the CL with Porto and the only top opposition he defeated was Man utd (controversially) That same season he lost woefully to Real Madrid in the groups.

He came to Chelsea spent a lot of money and won 2 EPL titles. And a lot of people ranked him as one of the best in the game.

His record at another big club INTER MILAN is nothing short of dismal.

Last season He struggled to qualify in a group of Panathinaikos, Anarthosis and Werder Bremen actually through last season he only managed 2 wins in the CL what was the excuse (Still learning the ropes)

This season placed in a group of Barcelona, Rubin Kazan and Kiev, He has only won one game - a last minute effort against Kiev.

His Supporters would argue he has won the league in 3 different places, But realistically, Any retard would win the league with FC Porto and even Inter Milan (Post Calcicopoli) Mancini who wasnt highly rated won with Inter.

Now I ask what has Mourinho done to deserve the hype that follows him everywhere?

Watching his side play against a depleted Barcelona yesterday and looked so clueless I wonder what the "Special one" has added to Inter Milan

I personally think he is a good motivator like Klinsmann but technically and tactically deficient

This topic has been done to death.
Jose Mourinho can only flourish in football clubs with infinite resources.

At Chelsea, his success was:

Roman Abramovic: 60%
Mourinho's brilliance: 40%
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Ibime(m): 4:02pm On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

with Robson? NO
with van Gaal, maybe as a coach of team B

i saw him more as a backend coaching staff not in the likes of Quieroz and Sammy lee

tkb417:

i dont need to read this at this time and age, ive known all these since Jesus was alive

^^^hehehehehe. . . . this is what we call mea culpa. . . just take style and plead the fifth!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 4:05pm On Nov 25, 2009
Ibime
grin grin wish i can shoot u right nau
lol

ure crazy
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by HNIC(m): 4:06pm On Nov 25, 2009
~Sauron~:

At Chelsea, his success was:

Roman Abramovic: 60%
Mourinho's brilliance: 40%
I will narrow that to :

Roman Abramovic: 75%
Mourinho's brilliance: 25%
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 4:07pm On Nov 25, 2009
@Sauron,

At Inter he was given a free hand to manage his purchases and he still he is woeful.

@omo ibo,

3 wins in 13 games is woeful cherry picking performances in 2 CL season?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2009
OMO IBO:

Dude, stop cherrypicking.
If you look at the bigger picture, you'd agree with me that even SAF has nothing on him.

This is IDIOCY at it's sterling quality.

SAF's managerial success at Aberdeen ALONE eclipsed what Jose achieved at Chelsea.
Never mind Man Utd.

HNIC:

I will narrow that to :

Roman Abramovic: 75%
Mourinho's brilliance: 25%

To be fair, i think this is harsh on Jose.
He still had to provide the balance, the togetherness and the smart tactics for his prima donnas to win 2 league titles in a bounce.
I think 60-40 assessment is just about fair.

dayokanu:

@Sauron,
At Inter he was given a free hand to manage his purchases and he still he is woeful.

He inherited quacks at Inter Milan. grin cheesy
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by ritchboy(m): 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2009
Tkb
are u telling us Jesus is DEAD? grin grin

Dayokanu
i thunk u judged managers primarily on trophies. . . . If i'm not mistaken, mourinho has a better "trophy ratio" than any other manager in europe since his porto days. Doesnt that make him the best? No?

P.S. do u still maintain "any retard" can win with porto and inter? I dont think Krayola would agree with you. cheesy
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 4:13pm On Nov 25, 2009
ritchboy:

P.S. do u still maintain "any retard" can win with porto and inter? I dont think Krayola would agree with you. cheesy

Any retard can win at Porto and Inter(esp since 2006).

Mancini is a retard and he won league titles on the bounce.
Porto have been winning the Portugese League since Jose's father was an infant. . . .They have that winning mentality.
It's just like Celtic/Rangers in Scotland. . . . .Any idiot can win in the Scottish League a la Gordon Strachan.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2009
He inherited quacks at Inter Milan

He inherited Maicon and Julio Cesar they are top 3 in their positions inherited Zlatan
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Ibime(m): 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

Ibime
grin grin wish i can shoot u right nau
lol

ure crazy

Am already practising nucca. . . . bring ya guns out. . .
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 4:27pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

He inherited Maicon and Julio Cesar they are top 3 in their positions inherited Zlatan

Maicon and Julio Cesar alone cannot win the UCL for Jose.
He needs 8 top players to do that.

Compare what Jose inherited to what Pep Guardiola inherited. cheesy
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 4:37pm On Nov 25, 2009
So he inherited so much crap the same craps Mancini managed to better CL group stages results or did all the players suddenly turn crap the moment Mourinho joined?

How many quality players did Benitez inherit at Liverpool to win the CLfirst season

Inter pre Mourinho >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Liverpool pre Benitez

Pep doesnt have the reputation the Mourinho has and to Peps credit Barcelona was coming from 2 seasons trophyless till Pep turned it around making them play the best football ever. Surpassing all his predecessors
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Krayola(m): 4:45pm On Nov 25, 2009
haha. Ibime I no find your trouble again o. AHH!! abeg. . . Make pellets no go lost inside my chest .  This one wey u look like say na antelope u dey hunt for a living  shocked
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 4:47pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

So he inherited so much crap the same craps Mancini managed to better CL group stages results or did all the players suddenly turn crap the moment Mourinho joined?

Jose has not crashed out of the CL yet. His team are still the Champions of Italy(mind you).

How many quality players did Benitez inherit at Liverpool to win the CLfirst season

In the same season, Benitez finished a massive 37 points behind Jose Mourinho.
Liverpool ignored the PL and concentrated more on the UCL so it's a special case.

Inter pre Mourinho >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Liverpool pre Benitez

It depends on the competition around the 2 teams in the period you are specifying.
Different era, different leagues, different managers. U cannot simply compare.

Pep doesnt have the reputation the Mourinho has and to Peps credit Barcelona was coming from 2 seasons trophyless till Pep turned it around making them play the best football ever. Surpassing all his predecessors

Pep inherited Xavi and Iniesta(the best midfielders in the globe).
He also inherited the triumvirate of Messi-Eto'o and Henry.
Are you shitting me? Amodu Shuaibu will win the TREBLE with these players.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 4:53pm On Nov 25, 2009
Ibime shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

ure just practising?

our flipmode squad will eat those guns

but ol boi, u don mad o
u dey shoot gun for this century; i leave u in the hands of Sagbama george

@Topic
all the coaches i listed above are far better than Jose
To me, hes a good manager and nothn can be taken away from his achievements

but to call him a genius is out of it (my opinion)

did OmO Ibo compare SAF and Jose?
lol. na wa
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 5:21pm On Nov 25, 2009
Pep inherited Xavi and Iniesta(the best midfielders in the globe).
He also inherited the triumvirate of Messi-Eto'o and Henry.
Are you shitting me? Amodu Shuaibu will win the TREBLE with these players.

All these players were there when they went trophyless and 3rd in the league behind Villareal. So what changed a 3rd placed team to treble winners

His team are still the Champions of Italy(mind you).

Mancinis team were champions of Italy too

In the same season, Benitez finished a massive 37 points behind Jose Mourinho.
Liverpool ignored the PL and concentrated more on the UCL so it's a special case.

Mourinho was hired for CL success and he has failed so far Benitez was hired to just make Liverpool more competitive and he did

It depends on the competition around the 2 teams in the period you are specifying.
Different era, different leagues, different managers. U cannot simply compare.

Which competitions are you talking about compare Liverpool 0f 2003 to Inter of 2007
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

All these players were there when they went trophyless and 3rd in the league behind Villareal.
So what changed a 3rd placed team to treble winners

Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand and Neville were also there when United crashed out of the group stage in 2005/6 UCL and couldn't win the league for 3 seasons. . . . .
If another manager had been employed in 06/07 with United winning 3 on a bounce, we would be saying the same thing.

Mancinis team were champions of Italy too

Jose is a brilliant manager.
I don't think Mancini woulda won the same haul of trophies Jose won at Chelsea even with the same financial backing.

Mourinho was hired for CL success and he has failed so far Benitez was hired to just make Liverpool more competitive and he did

Make Liverpool competitive? Are you serious?
How competitive are Liverpool FC?
They are out of Carling Cup, disgraced in the UCL and they are 13 points below Chelsea AFTER just 13 league games.

There are fears Benitez will not qualify for UCL next season with the way Tottenham, Citeh and Villa have shown so far and this coincides with the new FA rule that all Premiership clubs must fine tune their squad to 25 players. Where would Rafa be cos currently. . .he has 67 players in his squad.
Letz call a spade what it is. . . . . .Rafa is a disgrace.

Which competitions are you talking about compare Liverpool 0f 2003 to Inter of 2007

I mean the quality of Liverpool's rivals in that era compared to Inter Milan's rivals.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2009
Make Liverpool competitive? Are you serious?
How competitive are Liverpool FC?
They are out of Carling Cup, disgraced in the UCL and they are 13 points below Chelsea AFTER just 13 league games.

There are fears Benitez will not qualify for UCL next season with the way Tottenham, Citeh and Villa have shown so far and this coincides with the new FA rule that all Premiership clubs must fine tune their squad to 25 players. Where would Rafa be cos currently. . .he has 67 players in his squad.
Letz call a spade what it is. . . . . .Rafa is a disgrace.

Pre Benitez, Liverpool hardly qualifies for the CL Newcastle and Leeds take the position

Benitez took Liverpool to a 2005 CL trophy, 2007 CL final, 2008- CL Semis, 2009 CL quarters.

Mourinho took Inter who had won 3 Serie A on the bounce and won a fourth one BIG DEAL?
Mourinho took Inter Milan who was average in CL to Woeful in CL.

Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand and Neville were also there when United crashed out of the group stage in 2005/6 UCL and couldn't win the league for 3 seasons. . . . .
If another manager had been employed in 06/07 with United winning 3 on a bounce, we would be saying the same thing.

Fergie learnt from the fiasco of 2006 and built on it. Succes doesnt come by luck, Its a result of planning.
And the result is the back to back EPL titles and 2 CL finals

I mean the quality of Liverpool's rivals in that era compared to Inter Milan's rivals.

Benitez had stiffer opponents that what Mourinho has now So that argument is to Benitez favour
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 25, 2009
Sauron,
clueless displays like yesterday's and the United games last season make you wonder if he is all worth the hype.
Mancini might not have won what jose did at chelsea (very debateable,if you ask me because some of JM's signings at Chelsea were rather mysterious),but fact remains that JM hasn't bested Mancini in regard to what he (JM) was hired to do at inter.In fact he has been rather ordinary at inter,and he has freer control of the team's management than he did at chelsea,so there really shouldn't be any excuse for him.His record since he joined Inter is incriminating.
Omo-Ibo,
as much as we want to look at the big picture,truth is,Mourinho cannot win this years UCL.If your record stands at a measly 3 of 13 over two seasons,then it's obvious something is wrong.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Nov 25, 2009
3 wins in 13 CL games I dont know any top manager with that record
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Krayola(m): 6:09pm On Nov 25, 2009
Shit happens. The CL isn't everything. He won it with Porto and Chelsea under him were very competitive. This shit isn't nintendo. (altho Barca makes it look like that grin grin )
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Sauron1: 6:21pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

Pre Benitez, Liverpool hardly qualifies for the CL Newcastle and Leeds take the position

EPL didn't have 4 slots in Europe pre-Benitez so this argument lacks any substance.
How many times in the past 5 seasons would Liverpool have qualified for the UCL if only 2 EPL teams are allowed in Europe? undecided undecided

Benitez took Liverpool to a 2005 CL trophy, 2007  CL final,  2008- CL Semis, 2009 CL quarters.

Where did Liverpool finish on the league table in these years?
Benitez is a footie fraud. . . . .He takes his foot off the gas in the EPL and concentrate fully on the UCL. It's as easy as Bleep.

Mourinho took Inter who had won 3 Serie A on the bounce and won a fourth one BIG DEAL?
Mourinho took Inter Milan who was average in CL to Woeful in CL.

Mancini:

2004/5 Eliminated in the Q/F
2005/6 Eliminated in the Q/F
2006/7 Eliminated in the Round of 16
2007/8 Eliminated in the Round of 16.

Dayo, stop exaggerating!!!! Inter have always been woeful in the CL.
It has nothing to do with Jose.

Fergie learnt from the fiasco of 2006 and built on it. Succes doesnt come by luck, Its a result of planning.
And the result is the back to back EPL titles and 2 CL finals

Exactly ma point. . . . . . .No empire lasts forever.
There will be good times and bad times. . . . . Barcelona that won the double in 2005/6 were eliminated in the round of 16 in 2006/7.
Shit can happen even with the best squad of players.

Benitez had stiffer opponents that what Mourinho has now So that argument is to Benitez favour

Which stiffer opponents?
Mourinho keeps winning in Serie A. . . . .What has Benitez won since 2006? Nowt!!!!
Benitez is trying to beat Wenger's TROPHYLESS record.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 25, 2009
Was Wenger's 49 unbeaten run a fluke?

Was Rijkard's UCL cup win a fluke?

Was Benitez UCL cup win a fluke?

Was Scolari's World cup win a fluke?

How is JM a fluke?

Dude is brilliant and knows his onions.
Only manager to have broken the Gaynner/Scummies hold in England.

Got Wenger and Fergie pissing in their pants.
Has won all the major titles he has competed for.
UCL, EPL, Seria A, FA cup,Carling cup, Portuguese league. . .etc

People hate him because he's confident.
He's entitled to a lil arrogance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Basel Vs Manchester United: UCL (1 - 0) On 22nd November 2017 / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 / Balotelli And Mancini In Training Ground Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.