Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,953 members, 7,824,991 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke (28438 Views)

Poll: Mourinho is

Over-rated: 36% (4 votes)
Simply good: 63% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Louis Van Gaal Still A Tactical Genius? / Genius Messi Breaks Another Record Set By Raul. / Cesc Fabregas - The Spanish Genius At The Heart Of Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by switdick(m): 9:44pm On Jan 03, 2011
Haterz will alwayz try2 squeez even when they cant:mourinho is a genius whether ya'll like it or not,and if y'all dnt relate,kis§ his middle finger!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Phate07(m): 6:23pm On Jan 06, 2011

Genius! cheesy
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 8:15pm On Jan 13, 2011
Jose Mourinho Wins FIFA Coach Of The Year Award for 2010. This man too much!!!

The good thing is that it is generally agreed that he deserves it. No controversy. He is the best!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by 1025: 8:13am On Jan 14, 2011
every coach that can select 11 players for a match is a great coach including amodu shaibu but when it comes to the greatest, any list with mourinho is mad.
ferguson is among the greatest but one will expect him to leave his comfort zone(england) and taste a different challange elsewhere. for mourinho, he has practically showed his abilities in all the vibrant leagues in the world.
when once a man kills a lion, in my village, he will be called a lion killer what more a man who has killed 3 or 4 lions? mourinho is a coach that steps where angels dread. he is not afraid to fail and is used to trophies.
his hunger and quest for success has brought him to the king's place. history will judge him as nigerians are biased ppl with a very poor sense of judgement and one can easily confirm this with the ways and manners things are done in this godforsaken country called nigeria.
even a blind man knows that mourinho is one of the best at his young age.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 8:42pm On Mar 18, 2011
"In my opinion, he (Mourinho) is one of the all-time greats"- Harry Rednapp (Tottenham Coach)

[url]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/895822/harry-redknapp:-it%27s-what-we-wanted?cc=3888[/url]

"You have to regard his (Mourinho) achievements as really first-class"- Alex Ferguson (Manchester United Coach)

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/51659/Ferguson_Mourinho_is_at_the_top_no_doubt_about_that_.aspx
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 11:32pm On Mar 19, 2011
He's no fluke without a doubt. He is a great manager, right up there at the top of the game.

He's no genius either in my opinion, except in man management. Plus he is well-educated, which is a major advantage he has over his peers.
His tactics are very transparent. He's been very lucky to have been in the right places at the right time. I think he also knows how to get the right people working with him. He basically transformed Chelsea from an ajebota team into a team of supermen.

I would still rate men like Cryuff, Capello, Ariggo Sacchi, Ottmar Hitzveld, Sir Alex Ferguson, and Guus Hiddink above him. Yes, he has more results and interesting stats than some of those guys. But those guys defined their respective footballing era. Mourinho has won a lot, but I can't really pinpoint what he has brought to the game in terms of tactics and philosophy. You can't exactly put Mourinho down as one of the game's great thinkers.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 5:56am On Mar 20, 2011
^^^^
What grammar are u speaking?
Defining moments, tactics and philosophy. . .what BS.

All that grmmar doesn't count if u don't win trophies.
Apart from the trophies, he has the respect of all his players in all the different leagues.

Even the infamous British media loves the dude. . . cheesy
JM is probably the greatest coach of all time.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by eyoniggar(m): 9:08am On Mar 20, 2011
^^^ Diva wasap? Long time dread babes. tongue

@Post, He aint no genius but a top notch coach.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by diggz: 10:40am On Mar 20, 2011
@ DK!!!! Na wa o! Na u start dis kind topic? Well,na ur opinion sha.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 10:35pm On Mar 20, 2011
BlueDiva:

^^^^
What grammar are u speaking?
Defining moments, tactics and philosophy. . .what BS.

All that grmmar doesn't count if u don't win trophies.
Apart from the trophies, he has the respect of all his players in all the different leagues.

Even the infamous British media loves the dude. . . cheesy
JM is probably the greatest coach of all time.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
BD, it's quite possible [size=5pt]that you might not have been watching footie before 2004 when Mou joined Chelsea grin[/size]. So you wouldn't have seen the work of any of the men I mentioned.

Greatest of all time? 
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by usbcable(m): 11:52am On Mar 21, 2011
AjanleKoko:

He's no fluke without a doubt. He is a great manager, right up there at the top of the game.

He's no genius either in my opinion, except in man management. Plus he is well-educated, which is a major advantage he has over his peers.
His tactics are very transparent.
He's been very lucky to have been in the right places at the right time. I think he also knows how to get the right people working with him. He basically transformed Chelsea from an ajebota team into a team of supermen.

I would still rate men like Cryuff, Capello, Ariggo Sacchi, Ottmar Hitzveld, Sir Alex Ferguson, and Guus Hiddink above him. Yes, he has more results and interesting stats than some of those guys. But those guys defined their respective footballing era. Mourinho has won a lot, but I can't really pinpoint what he has brought to the game in terms of tactics and philosophy. You can't exactly put Mourinho down as one of the game's great thinkers.
@ bolded,
and yet you dont see a genius in being able to mold a tame player into a fearless killer. SMH.

@ the other names mentioned, please enlighten me with what and how they defined their various eras.

on a lighter note, he has brought entertaining controversy into the game unlike what exists before. You can ask BBC,marca and AS for more details grin.

And if someone is given the award of the coach of the year by his peers just some months ago, I doubt the sincerity in this post of your saying ''You can't exactly put Mourinho down as one of the game's great thinkers.''
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 2:16pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^
That's a much better challenge grin

However, forget Marca and AS. They are useless publications, just like the Catalan Sport and El Mundo Deportivo. Spanish media is useless when it comes to objective reporting.

Starting from Cryuff, as a player, he was part of a Dutch team and an Ajax team that dominated Europe, winning a hat trick of European cups.
As a manager, he, alongside Carly Rexach, instituted the Total Football concept, same ideas he was taught by Rinus Michaels as a player, in Barcelona. He won the inaugural CL, and 4 La Liga titles in a row. You can't talk about total football in Holland and Spain without mentioning Cryuff. In fact, that those two nations played the world cup final in 2010 is a testament to Cryuff's legacy and his contribution to modern football. His imprint is firmly stamped on the game in both countries.

Capello, of course we all know. His exploits in Italy as a footballer and coach, and in Spain as a two-time Real Madrid coach, are remarkable. He rebuilt the hopeless team managed by Valdano into an excellent side, both defensively and going forward. Jupp Heynckes and even Del Bosque inherited his team, even though the club went on to sign a rash of top stars. He's a league title winner across 4 cities: Milan, Madrid, Turin, and Rome. Capello is credited to have originated the idea of 'zonal marking', stemming from an article he wrote in 1984 as a student at Coverciano.

Ariggo Sacchi? That's the man who made AC Milan into a European powerhouse, and Capello's forerunner. The Dutch Terrific Trio played under him (Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard), as well as a certain Carlo Ancelotti, not to mention Roberto Donadoni, a former Azzuri Manager.
I've read a lot about Sacchi's defensive experiment, where, in a training session, he set up Milan's attack-minded players against 5 defenders, and they tried unsuccessfully to score a goal.

Sir Alex, of course you all know. Hiddink, you also know. I don't want the spambot to get me, so I will stop the narrative here.
But hopefully you get my point. Apart from Mou's controversial statements, and of course his many league titles, Well, put that up against some of the CVs of the other guys, and you might just get my point. He is nowhere near those guys. They are institutions.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by usbcable(m): 5:00pm On Mar 21, 2011
AjanleKoko:

^^

However, forget Marca and AS. They are useless publications, just like the Catalan Sport and El Mundo Deportivo. Spanish media is useless when it comes to objective reporting.

Starting from Cryuff, as a player, he was part of a Dutch team and an Ajax team that dominated Europe, winning a hat trick of European cups.
As a manager, he, alongside Carly Rexach, instituted the Total Football concept, same ideas he was taught by Rinus Michaels as a player, in Barcelona. He won the inaugural CL, and 4 La Liga titles in a row. You can't talk about total football in Holland and Spain without mentioning Cryuff. In fact, that those two nations played the world cup final in 2010 is a testament to Cryuff's legacy and his contribution to modern football. His imprint is firmly stamped on the game in both countries.

Capello, of course we all know. His exploits in Italy as a footballer and coach, and in Spain as a two-time Real Madrid coach, are remarkable. He rebuilt the hopeless team managed by Valdano into an excellent side, both defensively and going forward. Jupp Heynckes and even Del Bosque inherited his team, even though the club went on to sign a rash of top stars. He's a league title winner across 4 cities: Milan, Madrid, Turin, and Rome. Capello is credited to have originated the idea of 'zonal marking', stemming from an article he wrote in 1984 as a student at Coverciano.

Ariggo Sacchi? That's the man who made AC Milan into a European powerhouse, and Capello's forerunner. The Dutch Terrific Trio played under him (Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard), as well as a certain Carlo Ancelotti, not to mention Roberto Donadoni, a former Azzuri Manager.
I've read a lot about Sacchi's defensive experiment, where, in a training session, he set up Milan's attack-minded players against 5 defenders, and they tried unsuccessfully to score a goal.

Sir Alex, of course you all know. Hiddink, you also know. I don't want the spambot to get me, so I will stop the narrative here.
But hopefully you get my point. Apart from Mou's controversial statements, and of course his many league titles, Well, put that up against some of the CVs of the other guys, and you might just get my point. He is nowhere near those guys. They are institutions.

1. Like Capello,
*he took an unknown,UD Leira to their highest spot in portuguese league(5th place),
*Porto from being round of 16 achievers in the UCL to champions the following season he took charge after making them UEFA Cup champions the previous season.
*Chelsea to becoming BPL champs after 50 solid years
*Inter to winning their 3rd UCL cup after 45 years and a treble along the way thus becoming the third coach to achieve such a feat.
*and he is a league winner acroos three different leagues and about to become four with Real.

2. Like Ariggo Sacchi,
*he was able to turn chelsea into one of the foremost powerhouse of european house(UCL specifically). To the extent that they are seen as one of the able teams to stop the present Barcelona team in its track anyday anytime.
*and the defensive abilities of his teams which of course is a reflection of his mode of training sessions. Even Real madrid has improved defensively since his arrival.
*His players will also one rule the world of soccer(Ariggo sacchi coached Milan in the 80's) so give Lampard/Deco/Vitor Baia/Sneijder/Drogba 10-15 years from now same is going to happen.
3. Like Cruyff,
this is a tough one grin
*He may not have invented something unique as ''total footbal'', but he brings to everyteam he goes ''total belief'' in your self. And a never say die attitude. And BTW na how many coach invent anything even SAF no invent nada.
*He also has a pletoria of trophies and awards that will fill up the bed room of Johan himself. so no story for that side.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by chic2pimp(m): 4:59pm On Mar 22, 2011
usbcable:

*He may not have invented something unique as ''total footbal'', but he brings to everyteam he goes ''total belief'' in your self. And a never say die attitude.
Cruyff did not invent Total Football. Rinus Michels did.

AjanleKoko:

Mourinho would be ranked alongside those other greats by the end of his coaching career.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by lekside44(m): 8:43pm On Mar 24, 2011
Arigos achievement in usa 94 is still fresh in my memory
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by hustler(m): 5:20pm On Mar 25, 2011
AjanleKoko:

^^

Is the English press any better at unbiased reporting??
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2011
The English press would never write something like this (from the Catalan newspaper Sport)

Cartoon of the Day: Sport

FLORENTINO’S MADRID EVOLUTION SINCE MOURINHO IS THE COACH

(Florentino turns into Torrente): The idea is to excreta on Barça and if it works we could self-service for a while*.

*Torrente’s tipycal sentence (or one of them): “Nos hacemos unas pajillas”.

We apologize for the inappropiate language but that’s what actually says on the cartoon. Torrente is a really rude character.

Read more: http://www.totalbarca.com/category/news/#ixzz1Hd8Kkkzb

Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by hustler(m): 5:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
@Ajanle, just to correct sometin on your post, Capello cannot be credited to have originated Zonal Marking just cuz he wrote a research article on it at the Coverciano. The concept of Zonal Marking stretches as far back as the origin of Catennacio itself. From the Karl Rappan Door Bolt system to the likes of Nereo Rocco (UCL Winner Milan 63/69) and Helenio Herrera who is widely known as the person who made it most popular cuz of the fuild conter-attacking system employed (Inter UCL 65/64 Winner)

Zona Mista (mixed zone) marking system  came about as a spin off of the original Catennacio systems employed by old serie a coaches. The positioning of players may have been didfferent in the way it started and formations employed. But the concept of marking zones is pretty much the same as what is being practised today.  Although it was combined with man-marking against strong players.Enzo Bearzot, Italian coach at the successful 1982 world cup employed this system very well. Claudio Gentile man-marking Maradona out of the group game is well documented in football. Man-marking and zonal marking are still mixed by a number of teams especially those that play the 3-5-2/5-3-2 systems.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by hustler(m): 5:58pm On Mar 25, 2011
@ Ajanle i have read a lot of BS from English papers . Lets not even go there. We know the English press is biased when it comes to reporting.

Just recently in the wake of our loss to Spurs in the UCL several myopic english pressmen were bold enough to write gibberish about Joe Jordan and eulogosing him and Spurs to the heavens . Some were even daft ennough to write that he has a better career than Rino Gattuso. Are you kidding me Scudetto Winner, UCL winner, World Cup Winner? Their argument was because Joe scored in 3 consecutive world cups or so. Gibberish about Gattuso should have been banned for life, Serie with Alexis Sanchez, Pato, Abate and a no of other speedy players is constantly ridiculed and and labelled as "pedestrian", i can go on and on about their ignorance. i got a full dossier of it,
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by hustler(m): 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2011
*had
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 11:42pm On Mar 25, 2011
hustler:

@Ajanle, just to correct sometin on your post, Capello cannot be credited to have originated Zonal Marking just cuz he wrote a research article on it at the Coverciano. The concept of Zonal Marking stretches as far back as the origin of Catennacio itself. From the Karl Rappan Door Bolt system to the likes of Nereo Rocco (UCL Winner Milan 63/69) and Helenio Herrera who is widely known as the person who made it most popular cuz of the fuild conter-attacking system employed (Inter UCL 65/64 Winner)

Zona Mista (mixed zone) marking system  came about as a spin off of the original Catennacio systems employed by old serie a coaches. The positioning of players may have been didfferent in the way it started and formations employed. But the concept of marking zones is pretty much the same as what is being practised today.  Although it was combined with man-marking against strong players.Enzo Bearzot, Italian coach at the successful 1982 world cup employed this system very well. Claudio Gentile man-marking Maradona out of the group game is well documented in football. Man-marking and zonal marking are still mixed by a number of teams especially those that play the 3-5-2/5-3-2 systems.

Hmm, but I actually didn't say he invented it. It's hard to say anybody invented anything in modern footie. I just referred to a research article he wrote while studying for his coaching diploma at Coverciano.

hustler:

@ Ajanle i have read a lot of BS from English papers . Lets not even go there. We know the English press is biased when it comes to reporting.

Just recently in the wake of our loss to Spurs in the UCL several myopic english pressmen were bold enough to write gibberish about Joe Jordan and eulogosing him and Spurs to the heavens . Some were even daft ennough to write that he has a better career than Rino Gattuso. Are you kidding me Scudetto Winner, UCL winner, World Cup Winner? Their argument was because Joe scored in 3 consecutive world cups or so. Gibberish about Gattuso should have been banned for life, Serie with Alexis Sanchez, Pato, Abate and a no of other speedy players is constantly ridiculed and and labelled as "pedestrian", i can go on and on about their ignorance. i got a full dossier of it,

Yeah, that's the usual way of the English press: always hype up English players. But I don't think newspapers are used in England to hurl blatant insults at the way of clubs, the way AS, Marca, Sport, and El Mundo Deportivo do. Some of the headlines can be rather embarassing sometimes.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 11:31am On May 06, 2011
Angelekoko, can you pinpoint what Cryuff, Capello, Ariggo Sacchi, Ottmar Hitzveld and Guus Hiddink has brought to the game in terms of tactics and philosophy. Any legal football tactics without results is not worth the stress.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by AjanleKoko: 11:46am On May 06, 2011
Wahala90:

Angelekoko, can you pinpoint what Cryuff, Capello, Ariggo Sacchi, Ottmar Hitzveld and Guus Hiddink has brought to the game in terms of tactics and philosophy. Any legal football tactics without results is not worth the stress.

Read up the thread na. You just land?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Wahala90: 10:52pm On Aug 08, 2011
Hmm, but I actually didn't say he invented it. It's hard to say anybody invented anything in modern footie. I just referred to a research article he wrote while studying for his coaching diploma at Coverciano

Didn't invent it. Studied it and wrote a research. So what the fuss about? Make God help you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 / Balotelli And Mancini In Training Ground Fight / Arsenal Vs Crystal Palace (2 - 2) On 18th October 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.