Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,384 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities (14383 Views)

8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams / 6 Reasons Why Students Fail Examination Despite Studying / Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by siegfried99(m): 10:47am On Jan 14, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by juliuscapps(m): 11:03am On Jan 14, 2017
Exactly! You got it
Saraben:
I dedicate this to all of us who wants to apply for post graduate scholarship but can't afford the English proficiency test. ..smh
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by ahahnow: 11:09am On Jan 14, 2017
Superbrain:

I totally agree with you Aliyu because I've personally experienced both situations. In 2009 after graduating from university, I really wanted to study abroad for an MSc. I ended up using all my savings (almost 200k) to write the GRE, TOEFL and pay numerous application fees. Things didn't work out on the scholarship end despite all the hard work so I decided to take a break, work a bit but still pursue my dreams.

Fast-forward to 2015, I had saved up a lot more and now decided to pursue an MBA. Experience had taught me to be tactical and I was finally able to do my MBA last year all on a full scholarship. While finances may be a limitation, it's all about planning and staying focused. I could have given up after 2009 if I wanted to (by the way, I didn't have a job then and my financial situation was not good).

Just like the OP mentioned, the reason most people do not get opportunities is because they do not attempt in the first place. It takes a lot of work and grit to go after some scholarships but in the end, it all pays off. There is free money to pursue one's dreams but that money needs to be gotten with hard work and tenaciousness. Therein lies the true value of the scholarship.

Believe you can and pursue with all you have. Once you are focused on your goals and plan accordingly, you would achieve whatever you want. Delay is definitely not denial though delay can take a while, longer than we anticipate sometimes.

Superbrain. I want to pursue my mba degree to. Do you have whatsapp? I have been looking to connect with someone on a similar journey as me. Right now I am trying to study for my gmat. The struggle is real
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 14, 2017
succyblinks:
You forgot to add you will need your father, king of your town, course adviser, pastor of your church, vc or rector of your school, hod, dean, assistant dean, the coordinator of your class and even your course mate to sign your application form

When even just to get your course adviser to sign your course form is harder than finding a virgin above 27years old

Dah shii is stressful bruh undecided

You're exergerrating bro. I had two scholarships back in school. combined 200k per annum. With Agbami-Chevron and Mobil scholarship I only needed my HOD to sign the verification print out, and God knows he didn't have to bother himself signing the yearly verification. Cause I had his signature carefully cropped for future use. Just make the effort first. If I not for fear I would have had 4 scholarships. I was scared dragnet would come to verify the number of scholarships I had from my dept office. Twas later I met someone with 3 Scholarships I sorry for myself

1 Like

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 14, 2017
Saraben:
I dedicate this to all of us who wants to apply for post graduate scholarship but can't afford the English proficiency test. ..smh

Bro, my mind exactly! I've had four Post Graduate applications discontinued cos of money to do English proficiency test. Now I don't even bother anymore- until I get money. 2017 will be better
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 14, 2017
Aliyu333:
I dont think scholarships today are actually free. I mean yea you might not need to pay a dime to get the scholarship, but the process to go through is for the okay class. I mean most masters scholarships demand a GMAT costing up to 75k a test of English costing up to 80k, a transcript costing 20k, and a whole lot of other nitty gritty.
To some the above is just a piece of cake, but in a family where u hardly have one meal a day you will understand what I meant. So its okay to fear.
That been said, it is very good to try, those money can never equal the value of what you will get IF you get the scholarship. No harm in trying, the future is bright.

thought I was alone on this.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by ahahnow: 11:21am On Jan 14, 2017
OP...Which scholarships did you get? Share where and how you got it
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Adex097: 11:43am On Jan 14, 2017
Nice points OP. Also, so many students lack the necessary information needed to benefit from so many scholarship opportunities. Its quite disheartening to find out that a good number of Nigerian students are mostly found in the romance section of nairaland, leaving the Education section almost empty. Whereas, i got my very first scholarship through numerous helpful info i got from this same section. May God help our Youth oh
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by aghimien25: 12:03pm On Jan 14, 2017
Saraben:

English proficiency test re most times requirements in US n Canada. U can do without it in UK, Australia n sum oda countries as long as u ve a credit grade C in WAEC.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Aliyu333: 12:10pm On Jan 14, 2017
Superbrain:

I totally agree with you Aliyu because I've personally experienced both situations. In 2009 after graduating from university, I really wanted to study abroad for an MSc. I ended up using all my savings (almost 200k) to write the GRE, TOEFL and pay numerous application fees. Things didn't work out on the scholarship end despite all the hard work so I decided to take a break, work a bit but still pursue my dreams.

Fast-forward to 2015, I had saved up a lot more and now decided to pursue an MBA. Experience had taught me to be tactical and I was finally able to do my MBA last year all on a full scholarship. While finances may be a limitation, it's all about planning and staying focused. I could have given up after 2009 if I wanted to (by the way, I didn't have a job then and my financial situation was not good).

Just like the OP mentioned, the reason most people do not get opportunities is because they do not attempt in the first place. It takes a lot of work and grit to go after some scholarships but in the end, it all pays off. There is free money to pursue one's dreams but that money needs to be gotten with hard work and tenaciousness. Therein lies the true value of the scholarship.

Believe you can and pursue with all you have. Once you are focused on your goals and plan accordingly, you would achieve whatever you want. Delay is definitely not denial though delay can take a while, longer than we anticipate sometimes.

Okay Sir. Ur 2009 experience is my current one, though difference is I dont have enough savings to write those exams for now. So I guess I will still hold unto hope u knw. If you dont mind Sir, what's the name of the scholarship u got the full waiver from?.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Sirwallace(m): 12:35pm On Jan 14, 2017
plainmirror:
I have my reservations to school system. If my parents had bought me a mobile device with Internet connection at the age of 10, I would have appreciated it more compared to sending me to a classroom everyday.
Even as an undergraduate presently in a federal varsity, I loathe the system and the static/backward knowledge it impacts.
In primary school we were thought that the 'sun rises in the East and sets in the West' which if false as Internet made me understand the Earth revolves around the sun.

The Internet and environment has taught me a whole lot. Thanks to whomsoever invented the former.
Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.”

I totally disagree with the last comment. the beauty of education is what you see today. even your so called best educator, the internet find its origin in school report set up by lax report in american university in the early 1990. you can badmouth education you get in this part of the world,world.emains and will always be key for socio economical development to the rest of the world
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Truth801(m): 2:22pm On Jan 14, 2017
Can anyone here please help me with local postgraduate scholarships that I can apply for ?
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Truth801(m): 2:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
Superbrain:

Can you please provide me with some local postgraduate scholarship programs
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by kenneyyice(m): 2:56pm On Jan 14, 2017
IGNORANCE IS THE MAIN REASON
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by kayjegs: 3:00pm On Jan 14, 2017
I talked about some opportunities on my thread. For me, the problem is courage. You just have to apply even if you feel you are not qualified. That is how people get scholarships. Some are but won't apply for fear of failure: https://www.nairaland.com/3564461/want-study-abroad-then-check
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Dayoade92(m): 3:53pm On Jan 14, 2017
Hello Microflux, thanks for sharing this post. I'd like to discuss something with you about scholarship. Kindly check your mail or inbox me on Facebook ---- facebook.com/Dayoade.Sage I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by gozzynes(m): 4:23pm On Jan 14, 2017
Op,

I think that what you said is true especially no. 1.

If you don't try, then you have failed but if you try, you might win.

A word is for the wise especially for our undergraduate friends. It is the best place to build into the future you desire.

A good first degree can offer you a scholarship to foreign masters degree programmes.

Remember, to thank OP if this post has been of help to you.

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by dreamchaser90(m): 8:36pm On Jan 14, 2017
There are a lots of scholarships, the problem is most students don't search. Or even when they find such scholarships, they just conclude that you must know someone in order to get it. I got a federal government scholarship without knowing someone at the top and I know lot friends who did same.
Additionally, not all scholarship require English language test and even if a language test is required, it is worth it. Sure getting a scholarship doesn't come easy, but the benefits far outweigh the stress.
The point is if you try, you might or might not succeed. But if you don't try, you definitely will not succeed.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Saraben(f): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2017
aghimien25:

English proficiency test re most times requirements in US n Canada. U can do without it in UK, Australia n sum oda countries as long as u ve a credit grade C in WAEC.
Alright thanks alot
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by rawdpiper(m): 9:32am On Jan 22, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

You're exergerrating bro. I had two scholarships back in school. combined 200k per annum. With Agbami-Chevron and Mobil scholarship I only needed my HOD to sign the verification print out, and God knows he didn't have to bother himself signing the yearly verification. Cause I had his signature carefully cropped for future use. Just make the effort first. If I not for fear I would have had 4 scholarships. I was scared dragnet would come to verify the number of scholarships I had from my dept office. Twas later I met someone with 3 Scholarships I sorry for myself

I Thought You Can Only Get One Scholarship From The Oil And Gas Industry. I Have The Intention Of Applying For To Agbami And Total/Mobil
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 22, 2017
rawdpiper:

I Thought You Can Only Get One Scholarship From The Oil And Gas Industry. I Have The Intention Of Applying For To Agbami And Total/Mobil
That's the principle on paper. But I've not seem anyone disqualified for having mor than 1. I had two myself. The thing is scholarship coys are too busy to check
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by rawdpiper(m): 11:15am On Jan 22, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

That's the principle on paper. But I've not seem anyone disqualified for having mor than 1. I had two myself. The thing is scholarship coys are too busy to check

But I Have Heard Of Situations Where Applicants That Have Been Told Awarded Two Or More Have Been Told To Reject Them.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 22, 2017
rawdpiper:

But I Have Heard Of Situations Where Applicants That Have Been Told Awarded Two Or More Have Been Told To Reject Them.

Maybe it depends on your institution. In mine, nobody asked. Find out from people in your dept who are currently on Scholarships
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by rawdpiper(m): 12:10pm On Jan 22, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Maybe it depends on your institution. In mine, nobody asked. Find out from people in your dept who are currently on Scholarships

Ok. What Can I Use To Prepare Against The Agbami Exam? Also Usually Set By Different Scholarships, Are They Usually The Same Format?
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
rawdpiper:

Ok. What Can I Use To Prepare Against The Agbami Exam? Also Usually Set By Different Scholarships, Are They Usually The Same Format?
read GMAT English comprehension, numerical and quantitative reasoning and abstract test.
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by rawdpiper(m): 9:30am On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

read GMAT English comprehension, numerical and quantitative reasoning and abstract test.

Your Friend That You Said Is A Receipient Of Three Scholarships, What Were The Name Of The Scholarships And Can You Remember The Year He Got Them?
Re: Top Five Reasons Why Students Miss Out Of Scholarship Opportunities by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 23, 2017
rawdpiper:

Your Friend That You Said Is A Receipient Of Three Scholarships, What Were The Name Of The Scholarships And Can You Remember The Year He Got Them?

Mobil, Abgami (both for ND states) and MTN. I got the first two only

(1) (2) (Reply)

America University of Nigeria Gets ₦17 Million Grant From Google / University Ratings Over The Years Are Fake, Says NUC / Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.