Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,725 members, 7,955,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:01 PM

What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries (29341 Views)

Buratai Deploys Troops To Benue, Taraba, Nasarawa / What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform / What The Constitution Says About Self-defence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Niceguy123: 1:39pm On Jan 19, 2017
seunmsg:

(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (4) of this section, the President, in consultation with the Nigeria Defence Council, may deploy members of the armed forces of the Federation on a limited combat duty outside Nigeria if he is satisfied that the national security is under imminent threat or danger;

The president only exercised his powers under the above section of the constitution. Beside, did Jonathan consult the Senate before deploying troops to northern Mali in 2013?

Bros what about the part that said "PROVIDED that the President, shall within seven days of actual combat engagement, seek the consent of the Senate and the Senate shall thereafter give or refuse the said consent within fourteen days"
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by obailala(m): 1:44pm On Jan 19, 2017
AlfaSeltzer:
This same constitution says the president must have a school certificate.

It's not worth the paper it's written on.

There are only two recognised constitutions in the Zoo: money and AK47.
The president brought his school certificate but some people claimed it was fake and still insist he should bring a real one. Fair enough, they can keep foraging through the dustbin of history in search of certificate till 2019/2023. tongue
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Newmanluckyman(m): 1:58pm On Jan 19, 2017
vedaxcool:

Since you are not in any security meeting you do not know whether or not we are in immediate threat or danger, The president has a more clear understanding since he preside over a security network with intelligence gathering capabilities. So I choose believing in a president who is more informed than you who happens to fart out intelligence and share it not in any security meeting bit on nairaland.
...security network with intelligence gathering capabilities? Why haven't we won the war on boko haram with such a fantastic capabilities as you mentioned?

1 Like

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by vedaxcool(m): 2:06pm On Jan 19, 2017
Newmanluckyman:
...security network with intelligence gathering capabilities? Why haven't we won the war on boko haram with such a fantastic capabilities as you mentioned?

The same reason the US haven't stopped gun attacks or the taliban in Afghanistan

1 Like

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by gunuvi(m): 2:20pm On Jan 19, 2017
wellmax:
Is that my family name?
Yes, please bear with us.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by almarthins(m): 2:26pm On Jan 19, 2017
gunuvi:
I am not surprised. Buhari does not understand democratic processes. Well what matters is for that rascal boy- Jammeh to jam serious superfire today and captured like a common criminal he is and thrown to jail.

Now buhari is to blame abi? During Arab spring key united states asset was used before congress approved. Obama didn't wait for dem to approve. My friend when we fail as a nation don't crucify one man for our collective lapses.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 19, 2017
seunmsg:

(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (4) of this section, the President, in consultation with the Nigeria Defence Council, may deploy members of the armed forces of the Federation on a limited combat duty outside Nigeria if he is satisfied that the national security is under imminent threat or danger;

[s]The president only exercised his powers under the above section of the constitution. Beside, did Jonathan consult the Senate before deploying troops to northern Mali in 2013?[/s] if GEJ did the wrong thing so buhari should also do same right? Then where is the change?

And you mischievously ignored the part below to continue deceiving the gullibles.

PROVIDED that the President, shall within seven days of actual combat engagement, seek the consent of the Senate and the Senate shall thereafter give or refuse the said consent within fourteen days".

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Dsov2016: 3:03pm On Jan 19, 2017
What most people fail to understand is international politics and security. One of the main reason book haram became such a problem was due to insurgency and Guerrilla warfare training they were/are receiving from terrorist groups in restive regions like somalia,Sudan, libya . As most people know there are routes that lead straight from Nigeria to this countries. Because of war, the Nigerian security forces have a hard time checkmating this people taking advantage of it to go get training and arms and ammunition s. It is also one of the reasons Fulani herdsmen can smuggle weapons.Gambia is a nation filled with Islam followers(no disrespect to the Muslims), it has a very low literacy rate,very huge oil reserves, it is also in the immediate regional area where a splinter cell of al Qaeda exist and is still waging war there. Just add all this together with a threat of political tension and war and u have a very terrifying scenario. This was the the sort of situatio n that propelled ISIS to a global threat. I only pray the at they can resolve this without vultures coming to tear Gambia and the west Africa sub region apart.
You this people with you always saying afonja be very careful. If naija had laws against cyber bullying and cyber trolling una for dey sleep for kirikiri. Haba na by force for Biafra and nnamdi kanu . most of una so called biafrans no want Biafra na only na the jobless one dey shout am. make we hear word na only una dey. Make I tell una, tank una stars say na buhari dey if na obj or atiku una for hear whin. Ahn ahn if una make other people remember how many people una dey kill wit fake fake product u go see say e go pass casualty figure for war. Abi una dey fake fake things to kill people as revenge. I take God beg una make we hear word. If them remove the Niger delta area wey una dey eye u go see say if them grant una Biafra una go dey landlocked. So if them grant una make una pack comot from other naija states or face heavy taxes meant for foreigners. I wan see as una go take travel either by road (which would require hefty visa fees) or by air(by travelling through another countries sovereign airspace. Liable for plane to be shot down if not from a friendly or neutral nation) na den u go no say no be every dream dey sweet most na nightmare
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by ayusco85(m): 3:08pm On Jan 19, 2017
darlenese:
:wetin concern me and mumu president !

Eating my delicious cucumber

With Ur mouth or
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Vatsyayana: 3:18pm On Jan 19, 2017
greenermodels:
Nigeria's national security is not under immediate threat or danger.

Is the security of Nigerians in the diaspora not national security?
Are Nigerians outside Nigeria not Nigerians anymore?
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Hakeem3(m): 3:21pm On Jan 19, 2017
joedams:
Thank God for the Internet we all have access to the Nigeria Constitution.

‪"5-(1) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the executive powers of the federation‬
(a) shall be vested in the President
----------------
(4) Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section-

(a) the President shall not declare a State of war between the Federation and another country except with the sanction of a resolution of both Houses of the National Assembly sitting in a joint session; and

(b) except at the prior approval of the Senate, no member of the armed forces of the Federation shall be deployed on combat duty outside Nigeria.

PROVIDED that the President, shall within seven days of actual combat engagement, seek the consent of the Senate and the Senate shall thereafter give or refuse the said consent within fourteen days".

oga shut up jare..what are u now trying to imply.? ar u faulting the fact that Nigeria is a member of ECOWAS & d UN. hence there ar certain laws and duty shes obliged to..
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2017
So, according to the constitution the president hasn't committed an illegal act yet; except he fails to inform the Senate within the stipulated 7 days.
But, as other presidents have done before him, he could flout that constitutional provision.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by seunmsg(m): 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

The entire section doesn't even apply.

Nigeria is not at war with Gambia, neither are our troops in Gambia as "Nigeria Armed Forces".

The troops are there as part of ECOWAS contingent for ECOMIG, which is part of our obligations to ECOWAS as member state.

Neither Jonathan (2013) nor Buhari (2017) did any wrong.

The section does apply. When Senator Chukwuka Utazi raised the same point of order today in plenary, Saraki countered him with section 5 above.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 19, 2017
almarthins:

Now buhari is to blame abi? During Arab spring key united states asset was used before congress approved. Obama didn't wait for dem to approve. My friend when we fail as a nation don't crucify one man for our collective lapses.
Obama's action conformed to the War Powers Act of the United States.
That statute gives US presidents limited powers to deploy American military forces without a formal declaration of war by Congress, provided that the president informs Congress of the deployment within 48 hours, and such a deployment shall not last longer than 60 days without the authorization of Congress.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by adem30: 3:41pm On Jan 19, 2017
PedroJP:

is Jonathan a yard stick to compare bubu with ? I thought Jonathan was daft ?

The problem of an Illiterate like you is that, You don't know and you do not accept the fact that you don't know and plan to learn. Go and check the reply Saraki gave to an illiterate senator like you that raised this issue at senate today.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by adem30: 3:44pm On Jan 19, 2017
Ghost447:
Are you alright at all?. If the majority of Nigerians were satisfied with GEJ he would have been re-elected, now they elected another person, yet you still want the person to repeat the old errors. Why the change in leadership if the masses wanted to maintain the status quo ante bellum?

The problem of an Illiterate like you is that, You don't know and you do not accept the fact that you don't know and plan to learn. Go and check the reply Saraki gave to an illiterate senator like you that raised this issue at senate today.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by dabossman(m): 4:18pm On Jan 19, 2017
windvane:
Average nairaland user is an illiterate

Educated illiterates all over the forum.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by gawu1: 4:23pm On Jan 19, 2017
greenermodels:
But 'Nigeria's national security was under immediate threat or danger' when Jonathan deployed our military to Mali in 2013 without seeking approval of the NASS?
This is just a simple question!

1 Like

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by quickly: 4:25pm On Jan 19, 2017
MrPresident1:
You Nigerians are not good people, that is why God has given you bad leaders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qzaxT4Wlk

Bad people get demons as leaders. Look at what Jammeh said to you Nigerians in 2014, and you ungrateful people have turned to betray him. Watch the video! Watch the video!! Watch the video!!!

Leave Yahya Jammeh ALONE!!!

Hypocrites, stop trampling on the constitution of the independent and sovereign Republic of the Gambia!!!

This not about Nigeria but an Ecowas mandate to free gambia and gambia people. As u know gambia is the smallest state in west africa. so they have to act accordingly.

Africa is xtersied by many leader who want to sit and die in power. as you know power intoxicates even obama was crying cos he dont want to go.

But that is the game of politics- u enter and rule and then u go out.

Every body is begging the guy but he refuse
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by GrandMufti: 4:33pm On Jan 19, 2017
CACAWA:
Impeachment loading
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Ghost447(m): 4:51pm On Jan 19, 2017
adem30:

You're are the insincere illiterate here because you have already justified Buhari's error by comparing it to GEJ'S 2013 issue. Though I rarely dignify infinitesimal elements of your nature with a reply, but today seems to be an exception.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by zeestunner(m): 5:16pm On Jan 19, 2017
windvane:
Average nairaland user is an illiterate
I swear my sista not just nairaland most so called educated nigerians too
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by gawu1: 5:46pm On Jan 19, 2017
bolanto24:

HERE COMES THE JONATHAN COMPARISON AGAIN.... GEJ IS NO LONGER IN POWER O. BESIDES IS JONATHAN'S GOVERNMENT NOW A YARDSTICK FOR MEASURING BUHARI? I THOUGHT HE IS MR PERFECT AND SAVIOR OF NIGERIA.
NONSENSE .
Yes, Buhari is not mr perfect, but his personality is perfect and he has so far proved a saviour of Nigeria. If not because of his coming who knows what Nigeria would have being today. Boko Haram were almost taken over the Aso Rock, which you and me perfectly know. Nobody is comparing Buhari with your ineffectual buffoon but hypocrisy of you, his lieutenants must be put to you blatantly. What were your comments when he deployed troops to Mali in 2013 or was the constitution not there then? Jonathan will continue to be mentioned insofar you people keep on coming with your campaign of calumny, see nothing good, Blackmail and condemnation. Besides, Buhari is not on the same page with jonathan. Buhari is perfectly a man of integrity, incorruptible, honour, charismatic, straightforwarded, blunt, etc; traits lack in jonathan. You irks can't take away these from him. You need re-calibration of your sense.

1 Like

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by obyrich(m): 5:47pm On Jan 19, 2017
darlenese:

Eating it as food my dear !

Stop polluting ur mind ! I don't do fake I have the original one at home
Ok o. That cucumber keep mouth like something wey dey chop person o. grin
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by 360command: 6:20pm On Jan 19, 2017
greenermodels:
This is where you are wrong. ECOWAS laws state that a citizen member of an ECOWAS nation is also a citizen of another ECOWAS member nation. so if the people of the Gambians or other ECOWAS national is at threat, it keeps another member state at threat so that is why as ECOWAS, the citizens are our concern and that is why Nigeria is deploying its troops.

1 Like

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by winetapper: 7:21pm On Jan 19, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
SMH!

@OP Nigeria did NOT declare WAR against Gambia, Nigeria only contributed our quota to ECOMIG troop. It is part of our obligation as ECOWAS member state.

This is not the first or second time that Nigeria will send contingents on foreign missions.

Please, I advice that you read on ECOWAS member state obligations.

Ignorance is not good
why not create a thread on this to create the awareness
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by Origin(f): 9:10pm On Jan 19, 2017
Ecowas is declaring war and Nigeria is providing logistics.
Nigeria could never declare war. All the presidents that have gone to meet Jammel went in capacity of ECOWAS members.
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by komekn(m): 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2017
greenermodels:

This is a post I submitted on a similar subject that should answer your question. Forward strategic planning means you don't wait for threats to materialise before you neutralise them

International politics of the West African sub region requires that we have a major involvement.

The option of sitting back and saying " Whaaaaten concern me " does not exist. When there is anarchy opportunists take advantage. That means Jammeh in his self seeking desire to remain in power can plunge that country into civil war.

This in turn will give room to a host of Islamic fundamentalists and terrorists to fill the power vacum. This in turn will give Boko and it's associated friends a staging post to attack us from.

I am disappointed by now we should have at least Battalion of heavily well armed soldiers in Gambia ensuring that the peace will be upheld. That will be a deterrent to the excesses of a despotic and delusional leader, Jammeh.

If the west had intervened when they could, into Syria ISIS would not have been birthed and Syria's Assad would not have had the opportunity to butcher his own people in there millions like he has done.

The whole region would not be so destabilised and turned into a free for all battlefield.

If this crisis is not a threat and present danger to our national security then what is
Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by 4watever: 9:50pm On Jan 19, 2017
greenermodels:
it was as unconstitutional aa buhari overthrowing a democratically elected president but two wrongs can't make a right, the constitution must be followed, that's my final take on this.

No need to waste your time on these empty headed, wide-eyed zombified morons.

1 Like

Re: What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries by greenermodels: 9:52pm On Jan 19, 2017
komekn:

This is a post I submitted on a similar subject that should answer your question. Forward strategic planning means you don't wait for threats to materialise before you neutralise them

International politics of the West African sub region requires that we have a major involvement.

The option of sitting back and saying " Whaaaaten concern me " does not exist. When there is anarchy opportunists take advantage. That means Jammeh in his self seeking desire to remain in power can plunge that country into civil war.

This in turn will give room to a host of Islamic fundamentalists and terrorists to fill the power vacum. This in turn will give Boko and it's associated friends a staging post to attack us from.

I am disappointed by now we should have at least Battalion of heavily well armed soldiers in Gambia ensuring that the peace will be upheld. That will be a deterrent to the excesses of a despotic and delusional leader, Jammeh.

If the west had intervened when they could, into Syria ISIS would not have been birthed and Syria's Assad would not have had the opportunity to butcher his own people in there millions like he has done.

The whole region would not be so destabilised and turned into a free for all battlefield.

If this crisis is not a threat and present danger to our national security then what is
you guys should stop quoting me with your watery excuses, it's for the Senate to decide whether he has committed an impeachable offense not me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reuben Abati Asks Kwankwaso If He Is Igbo & If His Name Is Okonkwo (Video) / How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate / “We May Have To Use The Military To Arrest Yahaya Bello” – EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.