Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,126 members, 7,829,014 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures (305702 Views)

Nigerian Military In Action At Buhari's Inauguration (photos) / Nigerian MOPOL Fighting Alongside The Military In North East(picture) / Boko Haram Set To Engage Military In Gwoza, Asks Women, Children To Leave Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 8:06am On Jul 03, 2010
I agree with Paddy_lo. Dont come here with these theories. First they are off-topic. Secound they have no proof (like America is trying to Bleep up the DRC). Is that why the IMF (which has a large contribution from the US) trying to cancel out what could end up to be 90% of the DRC's external debt. Then you also pointed out that the US was funding them (the DRC) for their military.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 10:34am On Jul 03, 2010
[/quote][quote author=paddy_lo link=topic=358286.msg6323784#msg6323784 date=1278113933]
[color=#000099][b]U call $1.4 million major?. . .u must be joking

Egypt and Israel recieve $3billion dollars each a yr in military equipment

Whatever collaboration the US army is doing with Nigeria it is anything but major pls. . .

Ps your conspiracy theories are laughable. . .lol

Ignorance is indeed a disease, its funny how you avoided responding to the other issues i highlighted and zoomed in on the fact that nigeria had been allocated only $1.4 million in military aid from the US.   

why are you not even asking yourself why the US would be so keen to provide financial aid for defence hardware and training when nigeria has not sorted out its number 1 priority which is to provide adequate housing, employment, education and healthcare for its citizens. 

What are the conspiracy theories that you speak of?  Do you understand anything about US foreign policy and its relationship with africa at all?

Is AFRICOM a conspiracy theory as well?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?aid=18660&context=va

Is america's involvement in the toppling of govts who refuse to open up their countries to the despoil and pillage by the IMF and the world bank a conspiracy theory?

Is america's removal of grassroots leaders who wished to improve the living standards of their people also a conspiracy theory such as - Thoma Sankara, Nkrumah and Lumumba.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=16429

http://newsreel.org/nav/title.asp?tc=CN0205

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/breaking-down-understanding-our-enemies/35561-cia-overthrow-kwame-nkrumah.html

You mentioned Israel and Egypt - they are both client states of america who repress and terrorise dissenting groups within and even outside their respective countries. You couldnt even live in either of those countries with any dignity as a black man as you would be placed right at the bottom of their racial hierarchy.

Israel sponsors state terrorism against palestinians and has illegally occupied and annexed palestine, therefore for you to state that america provides the israelis with millions of dollars in military aid you are highlighting the fact that america supports and encourages those practices, perhaps the illegal occupation of palestine by the israelis is a conspiracy theory as well?
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 11:08am On Jul 03, 2010
lordangers:

I agree with Paddy_lo. Dont come here with these theories. First they are off-topic. Secound they have no proof (like America is trying to bleep up the DRC). Is that why the IMF (which has a large contribution from the US) trying to cancel out what could end up to be 90% of the DRC's external debt. Then you also pointed out that the US was funding them (the DRC) for their military.

you do not understand what you are talking about - first of all a discussion about a war which is being sponsored by the US in order to annexe a mineral rich part of Congo is very relevant to this topic because it further proves that foreign powers like the US, britain and Israel arm african nations for a reason and for a purpose.

Paddylo has come on here to celebrate the fact that nigeria has these supposed state of the art military hardware without understanding the real reasons behind why nigeria has been allowed to arm itself to this level.  In a bid to try and associate himself with supposed success and invicibility he fails to see the bigger picture.

The IMF may well have decided to cancel Congo's spiralling debt but thats a bit like taking someone who is about to be executed for a three course meal shortly before the execution - america used troops from two african client states - uganda and rwanda as pawns in order to secure a mineral rich part of congo - this led to the genocide of over 3million congolese people but no mainstream western newspaper carries the story - this is why you and paddy lo say that it is unsubstantiated, it is unsubtantiated in your mind because you rely soley on the white man's version of the truth not the real truth.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=12404

by the way the military aid given to the congolese by the US govt is NOT being given to congolese troops to defend themselves from the american proxy troops of uganda or rwanda but, its actually being given to congolese troops LOYAL to the americans who are fighting in COLLABORATION with the ugandan and rwandan troops.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 7:50pm On Jul 03, 2010
cap28:

you do not understand what you are talking about - first of all a discussion about a war which is being sponsored by the US in order to annexe a mineral rich part of Congo is very relevant to this topic because it further proves that foreign powers like the US, britain and Israel arm african nations for a reason and for a purpose.

Paddylo has come on here to celebrate the fact that nigeria has these supposed state of the art military hardware without understanding the real reasons behind why nigeria has been allowed to arm itself to this level. In a bid to try and associate himself with supposed success and invicibility he fails to see the bigger picture.

The IMF may well have decided to cancel Congo's spiralling debt but thats a bit like taking someone who is about to be executed for a three course meal shortly before the execution - america used troops from two african client states - uganda and rwanda as pawns in order to secure a mineral rich part of congo - this led to the genocide of over 3million congolese people but no mainstream western newspaper carries the story - this is why you and paddy lo say that it is unsubstantiated, it is unsubtantiated in your mind because you rely soley on the white man's version of the truth not the real truth.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=12404

by the way the military aid given to the congolese by the US govt is NOT being given to congolese troops to defend themselves from the american proxy troops of uganda or rwanda but, its actually being given to congolese troops LOYAL to the americans who are fighting in COLLABORATION with the ugandan and rwandan troops.

Lol you say that I dont know anything yet you think that US policy has something to do with this thread. This is a tribute. Start your hate-America speech somewhere else. Also should the IMF keep the debt there so the DRC is even weaker? I dont know how you can compare that with your three-coarse-meal f*ck.
The congo didnt get much publicity because it wasnt a full blown war. The armies were small and the area large. It was mostly death from starvation and disease.
Your an fing blow out. Your now saying their being used to help Rwanda and Uganda. You dont have a fu*k in side your tiny little head of yours.
"The whites mans truth". Fair enough your a racist. Is that why the likes of NTV and South African news agencies give the same news. In fact every non-bleeped country gives the same story. Funney that ey. Not just black or white or coloured but everyone.
If you dont like what we are doing here then go to a moderator and see what sort of response you'll get lol. And when that fails please do us all a favour, and go to the DRC and see what happens to you. See if you get shot by DRC troops or Ugandan's or Rwandans.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 8:42pm On Jul 03, 2010
lordangers:

Lol you say that I dont know anything yet you think that US policy has something to do with this thread. This is a tribute. Start your hate-America speech somewhere else. Also should the IMF keep the debt there so the DRC is even weaker? I dont know how you can compare that with your three-coarse-meal bleep.
The congo didnt get much publicity because it wasnt a full blown war. The armies were small and the area large. It was mostly death from starvation and disease.
Your an fing blow out. Your now saying their being used to help Rwanda and Uganda. You dont have a fu*k in side your tiny little head of yours.
"The whites mans truth". Fair enough your a racist. Is that why the likes of NTV and South African news agencies give the same news. In fact every non-bleeped country gives the same story. Funney that ey. Not just black or white or coloured but everyone.
If you dont like what we are doing here then go to a moderator and see what sort of response you'll get lol. And when that fails please do us all a favour, and go to the DRC and see what happens to you. See if you get shot by DRC troops or Ugandan's or Rwandans.

You cannot have a "tribute" without persons having a response. I guess you guys thought you could bombard us with deceptive facts and overload us with millions of bright pictures and we would smile and agree like ZOMBIE,
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 9:02pm On Jul 03, 2010
lordangers:

Lol you say that I dont know anything yet you think that US policy has something to do with this thread. This is a tribute. Start your hate-America speech somewhere else. Also should the IMF keep the debt there so the DRC is even weaker? I dont know how you can compare that with your three-coarse-meal bleep.

This is why i hate having discussions with foul mouthed illiterates like you, is it too much to ask for you to put your point across without resorting to foul language?

If you are so dumb and brainwashed that you do not know nor understand america's history of aggression around the world please at least have the decency to admit to your ignorance instead of accusing me of making a "hate america speech".  Unlike you i actually read books and research what is going on around me rather than get my information from fox, cnn and other propaganda outlets.

You say that the war in congo was not given publicity because it "wasnt a full blown war, the area was small and the armies large, - can you stop for a minute and listen to yourself - does that sound like the reasoning of an adult or someone still in kindergarten?  

So the death of over 5 million people is insignificant to you- do you think that if 5 million whites were being murdered this information would not be beamed around the world on a daily basis, 3,000 americans died in the 9/11 attack and this story was front page news for months and yet to you the death of 5 million black africans in a war funded and orchestrated by america is of no importance.

the death and starvation that you dismiss so casually - who caused it?  Did it arise out of nowhere?  was it not triggered by this same proxy war which was funded and orchestrated by america?

What i said in my earlier post was that Rwandan and Ugandan troops are being used by the US to fight a war in the DRC in order to appropriate mineral rich land for american owned multinational corporations - why is this so hard for you to  understand?

Im a racist because i tell you that you are brainwashed, if thats your understanding of racism then i shall leave you to continue to stumble around in the darkness.

You say NTV and South African news agencies report the same news as the news in the west - you are really dumb arent you - have you heard of censoring before?
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by ifele(m): 2:34am On Jul 04, 2010
MAY GOD HELP US TO DEFEAT NIGERZ ARMY. THEY ARE EVIL PLUNDERERS AND PARASITES.DEATH TO NIGER. NIGER MUST GET OUT.

WE DONT WANT HIM HERE ANYMORE. LOL
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 7:54am On Jul 04, 2010
cap28:

This is why i hate having discussions with foul mouthed illiterates like you, is it too much to ask for you to put your point across without resorting to foul language?

If you are so dumb and brainwashed that you do not know nor understand america's history of aggression around the world please at least have the decency to admit to your ignorance instead of accusing me of making a "hate america speech".  Unlike you i actually read books and research what is going on around me rather than get my information from fox, cnn and other propaganda outlets.

You say that the war in congo was not given publicity because it "wasnt a full blown war, the area was small and the armies large, - can you stop for a minute and listen to yourself - does that sound like the reasoning of an adult or someone still in kindergarten? 

So the death of over 5 million people is insignificant to you- do you think that if 5 million whites were being murdered this information would not be beamed around the world on a daily basis, 3,000 americans died in the 9/11 attack and this story was front page news for months and yet to you the death of 5 million black africans in a war funded and orchestrated by america is of no importance.

the death and starvation that you dismiss so casually - who caused it?  Did it arise out of nowhere?  was it not triggered by this same proxy war which was funded and orchestrated by america?

What i said in my earlier post was that Rwandan and Ugandan troops are being used by the US to fight a war in the DRC in order to appropriate mineral rich land for american owned multinational corporations - why is this so hard for you to  understand?

Im a racist because i tell you that you are brainwashed, if thats your understanding of racism then i shall leave you to continue to stumble around in the darkness.

You say NTV and South African news agencies report the same news as the news in the west - you are really dumb arent you - have you heard of censoring before?

You got a problem with swearing? There just words, you cant handle it, tough. I dont take time either when talking to you to ensure that my English is of a standard that means I have to put in any time so you can have satisfaction that you are arguing with someone of the same language calliber as you.
I aint denying America has done agressive things for bleep sake (dont thank for ww2 or anything. Im sure you would rather the Nazi's being no1 in the world). This is a tribute to the Nigerian military. Read the title and stop screwing up the thread. If you dont agree with us then thats fine you have made your point. Now leave us alone. We are just looking at some cool pics. Your the one trying to censor us because they dont have a big tick next to your ideas.
9/11 had more impact on the world didnt it. Before the Congo wars, the Congo had a history of slaughter. There was nothing new. Yes I would rather it got more front-page news. But you cant have every day *another few thousand die of starvation" as your front page. It was only when violence flared up that it grabbed some news. The kivu conflict for example got a lot better coverage.
If calling you racist takes you off then you are  lipsrsealed
If you think that white mans news is out to get you then fair enough. Tell me how much did the Iranians look at the Congo in the nineties. The russians and the Chinease. Hmmmm not really got much to gain from helping America have they? Yet they gave nothing to the subject pretty much.
There are also plenty of other news sources that are independant such as reporters without borders that gave it more of a look yet barely anything. Mainly just the starvation.
You also made the point of how in the post before your last post the US was funding Congolese rebels not the DRC troops. So surely they would keep that nice and quite. Infact they would have someone else make that transaction. They would probebly give it to Uganda or Rwanda to give to the rebels. So where did you get that (the us fudning Congo rebels) from.
Now go to the DRC before you post here again. So you can witness how you are so wrong. You can talk to people there, you cant make your own source. Tell me how many reporters did global research send to the Congo. You are using an estimation for the death toll based on western news sources yourself.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 8:05am On Jul 04, 2010
mens dept:

You cannot have a "tribute" without persons having a response. I guess you guys thought you could bombard us with deceptive facts and overload us with millions of bright pictures and we would smile and agree like ZOMBIE,

Yes you can give your opinion on the Nigerian military. You dont have to agree. Paddy_lo would try and convince you about the Nigerian military and you would either agree or disagree with him. If you dont agree with his thoughts on the Nigerian military then sure post. If you have anything else other then that and/or how you agree with him then piss off. Set up a thread of your own. This one was going great till then. People were saying what they thought on the Nigerian mil and we were getting on with it.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 10:32am On Jul 04, 2010
lordangers:

You got a problem with swearing? There just words, you cant handle it, tough. I dont take time either when talking to you to ensure that my English is of a standard that means I have to put in any time so you can have satisfaction that you are arguing with someone of the same language calliber as you.
I aint denying America has done agressive things for bleep sake (dont thank for ww2 or anything. Im sure you would rather the Nazi's being no1 in the world). This is a tribute to the Nigerian military. Read the title and stop screwing up the thread. If you dont agree with us then thats fine you have made your point. Now leave us alone. We are just looking at some cool pics. Your the one trying to censor us because they dont have a big tick next to your ideas.
9/11 had more impact on the world didnt it. Before the Congo wars, the Congo had a history of slaughter. There was nothing new. Yes I would rather it got more front-page news. But you cant have every day *another few thousand die of starvation" as your front page. It was only when violence flared up that it grabbed some news. The kivu conflict for example got a lot better coverage.
If calling you racist takes you off then you are  lipsrsealed
If you think that white mans news is out to get you then fair enough. Tell me how much did the Iranians look at the Congo in the nineties. The russians and the Chinease. Hmmmm not really got much to gain from helping America have they? Yet they gave nothing to the subject pretty much.
There are also plenty of other news sources that are independant such as reporters without borders that gave it more of a look yet barely anything. Mainly just the starvation.
You also made the point of how in the post before your last post the US was funding Congolese rebels not the DRC troops. So surely they would keep that nice and quite. Infact they would have someone else make that transaction. They would probebly give it to Uganda or Rwanda to give to the rebels. So where did you get that (the us fudning Congo rebels) from.
Now go to the DRC before you post here again. So you can witness how you are so wrong. You can talk to people there, you cant make your own source. Tell me how many reporters did global research send to the Congo. You are using an estimation for the death toll based on western news sources yourself.

I think you find it difficult to put your point across without being abusive, but i shall respond to some of your points:

I am aware that this is a tribute to the nigerian military but i think im entitled to voice my disagreement just as you are entitled to voice yours, as i said earlier i do not think the nigerian military have done anything for the nigerian people worth celebrating, the tanks, guns, planes etc are simply being used for THEIR OWN PROTECTION not for the protection of the nigerian people and it's territory.

Has nigeria ever fought and defeated an external enemy?   the nigerian military can't even guarantee the safety of its own citizens INSIDE the country (Jos) so why the celebration?

You say Congo has a history of slaughter - again do you know how this slaughter arose and who instigated it - are you aware that King Leopold of Belgium appropriated the whole of Congo in the 19th century and forced the congolese people to go out into the forests to tap rubber, the men who did not come back with enough rubber for the day had their limbs AMPUTATED, in other cases the wives and daughters of these men had their breasts cut off by the belgian soldiers and their black lackeys, so this slaughter that you talk of was actually initiated by the belgian colonialists.

Here is how the Belgians under King Leopold II  set in place a chain of events which have led to the tragedy that is the DRC today:

[b]The genocide, mutilations and other crimes against humanity:
Under Léopold II's administration, the Congo Free State was subject to a terror regime, including atrocities such as mass killings and maimings which were used to subjugate the indigenous tribes of the Congo region and to procure slave labor.

He set in train a brutal colonial regime to maximize profitability. The first change was the introduction of the concept of terres vacantes — "vacant" land, which was anything that no European was living on. This was deemed to belong to the state, and servants of the state (i.e., any white men in Léopold's employ) were encouraged to exploit it.

Next, the Free State was divided into two economic zones: the Free Trade Zone was open to entrepreneurs of any European nation, who were allowed to buy 10 and 15-year monopoly leases on anything of value: ivory from a particular district, or the rubber concession, for example. The other zone — almost two-thirds of the Congo — became the Domaine Privé: the exclusive private property of the State, which was in turn the personal property of King Léopold.

Natives were required to provide State officials with set quotas of rubber and ivory at a fixed, government-mandated price, to provide food to the local post, and to provide 10% of their number as full-time forced laborers — slaves in all but name — and another 25% part-time.

To enforce the rubber quotas, the Force Publique (FP) was called in. The FP was an army whose purpose was to terrorize the local population. The officers were white agents of the State. Of the black soldiers, many were cannibals from the most fierce tribes from upper Congo. Others had been kidnapped during the raids on villages in their childhood and brought to Catholic missions, when they received a military training in conditions close to slavery. Armed with modern weapons and the chicotte — a bull whip made of hippopotamus hide — the Force Publique routinely took and tortured hostages (mostly women), flogged, and raped the natives. They also burned recalcitrant villages, and above all, took human hands as trophies on the orders of white officers to show that bullets hadn't been wasted.

One junior white officer described a raid to punish a village that had protested. The white officer in command: "ordered us to cut off the heads of the men and hang them on the village palisades, also their sexual members, and to hang the women and the children on the palisade in the form of a cross." After seeing a native killed for the first time, a Danish missionary wrote: "The soldier said 'Don't take this to heart so much. They kill us if we don't bring the rubber. The Commissioner has promised us if we have plenty of hands he will shorten our service'." In the words of author Peter Forbath's: "The baskets of severed hands, set down at the feet of the European post commanders, became the symbol of the Congo Free State. ,  The collection of hands became an end in itself. Force Publique soldiers brought them to the stations in place of rubber; they even went out to harvest them instead of rubber,  They became a sort of currency. They came to be used to make up for shortfalls in rubber quotas, to replace,  the people who were demanded for the forced labour gangs; and the Force Publique soldiers were paid their bonuses on the basis of how many hands they collected."

In theory, each right hand proved a judicial murder. In practice, soldiers sometimes "cheated" by simply cutting off the hand and leaving the victim to live or die. More than a few survivors later said that they had lived through a massacre by acting dead, not moving even when their hand was severed, and waiting till the soldiers left before seeking help.[/b]

The casual way you talk about the millions of dead africans is mind boggling - here is what you say and i quote: "But you cant have every day *another few thousand die of starvation as your front page".

It shows such disinterest as to the plight of your fellow black african, i wonder whether you would feel this way if it were whites dying in such large numbers.

The US funding of congo rebels is not the kind of information that you will find in a mainstream newspaper or on a mainstream news tv channel, i get my info from independant news sources who report the truth - they are not censored like the corporate western media news outlets.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/genocong.htm
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 4:15pm On Jul 04, 2010
@lordangers
Please try your best to ignore these people. An argument is exactly what they are after. It is the best way they can derail this thread. Do you see that this thread has now moved to discussing things totally unrelated to the topic. This is what they want.

So please, let them post their filth, it won't last long. smiley
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 4:34pm On Jul 04, 2010
Mariory:

@lordangers
Please try your best to ignore these people. An argument is exactly what they are after. It is the best way they can derail this thread. Do you see that this thread has now moved to discussing things totally unrelated to the topic. This is what they want.

So please, let them post their filth, it won't last long. smiley
Sure thnx Mariory. I think I'll go look for some new pics. May be of the navy but I dont think I'll find anything much better then Paddy's lol.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 9:06pm On Jul 08, 2010
EXERCISE DESERT FOX: NIGERIAN CADET OFFICERS DESERT WARFARE SIMULATION

Daily Trust (Abuja) Nigeria:

Yobe – Mock War Over Uranium

Hamza Idris

29 June 2010

Yusufari —

Though the road from Gashua, the headquarters of Bade emirate and Yusufari, which shares a border with Niger Republic, is less than 25 kilometres, it always takes close to two hours for ‘Lenge-lenge,’ the popular desert proof truck to cover the distance, because of the nature of the road. “We thought a blissful life will never happen here again, because our agricultural lands hardly witness enough rain. The trees and oasis have been swept away by deserts, and our houses have been literally swallowed by sand dunes,”

Alhaji Mustapha, an opinion leader in Yusufari said. “Wherever you see the military, especially when they move along with their cache of arms and ammunitions, the tendency is that there is a war or serious unrest…but we are living with our neighbours here peacefully, even though we have a common enemy which is environmental degradation,” Mustapha, who is in his 50s said.

When Exercise Desert Fox was introduced last year, it took place at a high field situated about 2km to Yusufari, and therefore only few people around the area knew what was happening. This year however, the event took place at another elevation situated at about 2.5km after Yusufari, and therefore the NDA which temporarily relocated to the area, had to pass through the village, a situation which sent jitters into the nerves of the residents, despite many days of enlightenment campaigns. Jume Bukaram, a 22 year old pregnant house wife, had to run away to Nguru for “safety.” Her husband, Bukaram Aliyu said his wife was afraid, especially when the exercise which entailed military training with attendant gun shots and movement of armoured carriers, with war- ready fierce looking military officers and men, began on the 19th June, 2010.

“My wife said if I didn’t allow her to go, she may likely give birth to a still born baby,” Bukaram recounted, but was quick to add that Jume finally returned to her matrimonial home three days after the exercise began, when she was convinced that it was a “mock war,” meant to equip the final year army cadets of 57 Regular Course of the NDA. Musa Abubakar, a trumpeter at the palace of emir of Yusufari said immediately when the cadets of the NDA arrived, he vowed never to go to the bush or climb the sand dunes to answer the call of nature.

“At the beginning, we were told by rumour mongers that several explosives have been buried along the sand dunes area. But officials of the NDA later allayed our fears that all the ‘bombs’ and fireworks are for the exercise, and adequate safety measures had been taken,” Musa said. “The arrival of the military in our villages has turned out to be a new window of hope for all of us. In fact, the desert and sand dunes which we see as a curse, is now gold for us, because we learnt that a military base will be built, which means we would soon have electricity, roads, water and other utilities,” he added.

The Commandant of the NDA Major General Mahmud Yarima said the introduction of desert training in the curriculum of the academy, was because of inadequate proficiency in special terrain, and unconventional warfare training had remained a serious challenge to the Nigerian Armed Forces, against the background of the ongoing operations in Darfur and the Niger Delta. According to him, the 57 Regular Course cadets had during the one week exercise learned how to practically deploy armoured personnel carriers and recce vehicles, in desert patrol and ambush operations. “We have all experienced the peculiar nature of the desert environment, and have seen its effects on troops and equipment. We have also observed that operations, command, control and communications in desert terrain are quite unique and challenging,” the commandant observed.

He said Nigeria’s armed forces had sent its personnel in terrains and climate such as in the Sudan and Somalia, where they were not adequately prepared for. “Similarly, the northernmost part of this country is largely semi-arid. Whereas in the past, deserts were considered primarily as obstacles to invasion, the discovery and exploitation of mineral resources in these regions, have compelled governments to secure their assets against potential threats from hostile neighbours,” he said. General Yarima noted that the desert was a punishing environment to both men and equipment. “In order to survive, fight and win battles, the limitations imposed by the terrain and climate need to be understood,” he added. “Before the commencement of the exercise, communities around the training site were sensitized not to panic whenever they hear gun shorts, bomb blasts, rocket release or movement of armoured tanks, which are some of the features of the exercise. “We also told them that the one week training is not a war, but a training session,”

Lieutenant Colonel Nwachukwu Onyema, the NDA Public Relations officer told Daily Trust. The peak of the exercise which took place on 25th June, stole the hearts of hundreds of guests and villagers, who were thrilled by the performance of the cadets during the “mock war.” Most of the dignitaries, senior army officers, the cadets and journalists who covered the event, wore army desert camouflaged uniforms, which made the final ceremony look like a real battle ground, akin to what obtains in the Darfur. The Director of Military Training (DMT) of the NDA Brigadier General Kenneth Agboola Vigo, gave a vivid description of the “war” which was between two fictitious Republics, the Federal Republic of Gashua (FRG) and the Democratic Republic of Tulotulo (DRT) before the cadets practicalized it. According to him, the two countries share an extensive land boundary and both attained their independence in the 1960, after colonization by Britain and France respectively.

Hypothetical description of the war showed that Gashua’s economy was dependent on agriculture, while that of Tulotulo was based on industry, specifically on the production and export of steel. Electricity which was the major sustainer of the industrial activities in Tulotulo, is generated hydro-electrically from “River Nguru” which was located in Gashua. To further boost its agricultural based economy, the Gashua government constructed a Mega Dam at Nguru for irrigations. This resulted in the falling of water levels flowing, which grossly affected hydro-electric based industrial activities of Tulotulo. Several industries folded up and the economy of the “country” was grounded, and the government of Tulotulo placed the cause of the mishap on Gashua.

Shortly thereafter, a large deposit of uranium was discovered at Yusufari, a border town in Gashua. This discovery prompted Tulotulo to lay claim over the rich site, as a strategy for reviving its ailing economy, stressing that the uranium area was ceded to Gashua by “an arbitrary delineation by the colonialists.” While the case taken to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and the African Union (AU) Tulotulo deployed its troops to Yusufari with a view to fully occupying the uranium region and threatened to open further into Gashua. Irked by the move, the “President” and Commander-in-Chief of Federal Republic of Gashua, Auwal Suleiman, alias Tommy Jay, ordered his forces who in the mock war are the NDA cadets, to employ all necessary force “to halt, contain and expel the invading Tulotulo army from Gashua territory.”

The “war” was a sight to behold as the Gashua forces (cadets) conducted a series of eight raid operations on enemy camps, six ambushes and went on both foot and long range patrols in vehicles around the sand duned region , which led to the sacking of the “enemies” albeit the Tulotulo forces. The cadets totalling 179 in number including 45 Navy, 33 Air force and 103 Army, equally showcased their ability in weapons handling and Bayonet fighting. Some even dismantled AK 47 rifles and Machine guns, and assembled them with their eyes covered with red cloth. The guest of honour, Speaker of the House Of Representatives Dimeji Bankole who was represented by the House leader, retired Lieutenant Colonel Tunde Akogun, says as a special and highly professionalized institution, the Nigeria Armed Forces had proved itself worthy on many occasions.

According to the Speaker “I must also not fail to acknowledge the efforts of the armed forces, in the sustenance of democracy in the last 11 years. Exercise Desert Fox has exemplified the commitment of the military to uphold its enviable status. The tactics were right, the command was sharp, the control was well focused, and the team work was well articulated,” he said.

Governor Ibrahim Gaidam, earlier granted audience to the NDA commandant at the Government House Damaturu, acknowledged a request, and directed the chairman of Bade local government area to give a befitting land to the academy, for the establishment of a permanent desert base camp for the annual exercise. In their separate remarks at the closing ceremony, the minister of police affairs Alhaji Adamu Maina Waziri and the minister of state for defence, Alhaji Murtala Yar’adua, commended the NDA for introducing the exercise. For the people of Gashua, Yusufari, Nguru and even some villages in Niger Republic, the coming of the military to the desert was a good omen. “We hope that very soon, the road linking Gashua and Yusufari would be tarred, so that taking our children and pregnant women along it, would be easy,” Ya Kanna, a 57 year old woman who watched the final exercise, prayed.

Courtesy beegeagle.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 9:08pm On Jul 08, 2010
MILITARY JOINT TASK FORCE FREE KIDNAPPED SAILORS AFTER FIREFIGHT

Joe DeCapua

VOA NEWS

05 July 2010

In Nigeria, a military raid has freed 12 foreign sailors abducted by militants over the weekend in the Niger Delta.

VOA reporter Chinedu Offor, who’s on assignment in Nigeria, says, “The announcement was made by the spokesperson for the Nigerian joint Military Task Force….  He did not release details of how these sailors were freed, but sources told us there was a firefight between the Nigerian military and members of the militant group.”

Reports say a number of militants were killed and their camp destroyed.

After being freed, the sailors were taken to Bonny, where their Antigua-registered ship is anchored.  Bonny, located in Rivers State, is the main oil terminal in the Niger Delta.

The sailors, including the captain, were abducted Saturday.  However, the captain was able to radio for help before he and the others were taken aboard boats and into the creeks where the militants hide.  The sailors include Germans, Filipinos and Africans.

Ships in the Delta sometimes have little room to navigate.  If a vessel slows or stops, it becomes vulnerable to attack.

Courtesy beegeagle.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 9:16pm On Jul 08, 2010
EXERCISE DESERT FOX: NIGERIAN CADET OFFICERS DESERT WARFARE SIMULATION

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/06/cadets-issuing-operational-orders-using-a-sand-model-preparatory-to-the-exercise12.jpg?w=300&h=187[/img]
Nigerian Defence Academy cadet officers undertake desert warfare training in Yusufari, Far North of Nigeria

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/06/mai.jpg?w=300&h=197[/img]
Maimalari sand dunes, Yobe State, NE Nigeria

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/06/bul.jpg?w=300&h=211[/img]
Kuri Wakko sand dunes, Yusufari, NE Nigeria

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/06/tulo.jpg?w=300&h=210[/img]
Tulotulo oasis, Yusufari, NE Nigeria
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by funmi2010: 11:39am On Jul 09, 2010
They deserve praise for preserving democracy

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 12:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
funmi2010:

wow! so your idea of democracy is wholesale looting of the nigerian treasury, mass unemployment, state sanctioned murder, mass poverty, deplorable education and health care and whole sale looting and plunder of our natural resources courtesy of the IMF and World bank.

If that's your idea of a democratic state, I wonder what your idea of an undemocratic one is, wonders shall never end!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 1:25pm On Jul 09, 2010
funmi2010:

Yeah your right. They've made mistakes but it seems like Nigeria is trying to make amends. Anyway some great pics and info mariory.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 1:22am On Jul 23, 2010

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 1:23am On Jul 23, 2010

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by homerac7: 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2010
[quote][/quote]
Lol you do realise that tanks and troops were transported through the countries of ECOMOG the same way every other nation that participated. You show me how they transported jets and armour by sea to their peacekeeping missions like what ships they used or what aircraft they used to transport to guinea or Liberia from Nigeria with no landings and back . They probebly wouldnt have that luxery of going through countries if it was against Ghana.
And where have you got your proof of Ghana troops running in Liberia? Also Ghana's air force consists of Aermacchi MB-326 and K8's which may not be fighter jets but like I said they wouldnt need to be if you cant transport your jets in range (i.e by carrier)
Also you have said "dont get me started" in the last three posts you've made, I think you have started.

@lordanger,

havin followed ur posts, i can only say u dont know much about the nigerian military capabilities. i will escuse u on d ground dt u r foreign to west africa (mayb to d georaphy also). while i am glad dt we all agree dt a military faceoff btwn nigeria and ghana is very very unlikely, bt i must say dt if at d remotest probability it does, present day ghana military capability cannot deter, resist of hold offf d nigerian military 'might'. u based ur logic majorly on d capability of d navy and its logistics. as per logistics, r u aware of NNSs AMBE and OFFIOM? they r just twu of several other logistic ships. AMBE ws in activ service in liberia and S/leone doin what it does best, deliverin d hardwares. dn their prowess, NNSs ARADU and ENYIMIRI r enough to cripple d whole of ghanian navy. no need to mention several other fast attack ships like EKUN, OLOGBO and others from d westrn naval command alone. in fact, d westrn naval command alone can prosecute a war against any west african navy.

u also mentioned that ghanian military fire M16s, my question is 'of what difference is it dt u were hit by a bullet fro uzzi, kalanishkov or FN?' btw, d military use a mix of field rifles, d standard issue used to b majorly d armour piercing FN rifles whc is still common wt d navy and airforce on patrol and guard duties. never d less AK47s r bcomn more popular wt them because of certain field advantages, i leave dt out for u to find.

about d range of d jets, u must b a joker to imagine dt we cant strafe ghana from here, i will giv u an assignment, which is more distant, lagos to kainji, lagos to makurdi, lagos to aflaho border(ghana)? d tactical air command is in makurdi and i know of pilots dt fly jets wtout refueln from lagos -makurdi-kaduna, lagos-kainji-kaduna. dt distance will straffe ghana territory and return safely without d use of xtra fuel tank.

as per ol soldier, i am touchd about what a lot of people like u who had put ur lives in line for d s country hav to go thru to get stipends for pension, my due regards to u sir! but as per ur idea about hiding d equipment inventories from d 'enemies', i must tell u dt they know abt them bfore u and i did, afterall we bought it from them. moreover, d site where paddy lo got it fron is not nigerian, so what r we hiding? every transaction we do with one is well known and documentel wt all their intelligience services, so it is only an open secret.

as per dos who thnk we shldnt spend on defence, 'if we want peace, we prepare for war!'. though i agree wt u dt d welfare of d people is equally important.

finally to Paddy Lo, guy, u too much!
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2010
finally to Paddy Lo, guy, u too much!

Thanks homie. . i concur with most of what u have to say. .cheers
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 9:30pm On Jul 23, 2010
I'll try and get more pics. . .4 you guys
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Blenheim(m): 11:41pm On Jul 23, 2010
The military is one of the most nationalist institutions of any country. However, due the unfortunate era in Nigerias history, when the military got involved in governance, the general public seems to have a jaundiced view of the military. Consequently, the military doesnt get the appreciation it deserves.

The poster's efforts at obtaining military pictures are highly commendable. Going through them makes me feel very proud of being a Nigerian. Despite the numerous challenges we are facing, we are evolving. Nigeria is a transitional democracy and can only be sustained by Nigerians, home and abroad.

I therefore call on all well meaning Nigerians to, in their own small way, encourage our state instituations like the military.

Poster, well done.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:29am On Jul 24, 2010
Nigerian soldiers fathered 250,000 kids in Liberia’
From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nigerian soldiers who served in the ECOWAS monitoringgroup (ECOMOG) peace-keeping force during Liberia’s fatricidal war fathered over 250,000 children in that country.

Director-General of the Directorate of Technical Cooperation in Africa (DTCA), Dr. Sule Yakubu Bassi, who made the revelation to the House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora, urged the lawmakers to prepare to visit Monrovia on the issue.

At an interactive session with the committee, led by Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa yesterday, Dr Bassi said over 250,000 children had been born to soldiers, who participated in the ECOMOG operations from Nigeria.

He stated that records showed that the oldest of the abandoned children was 16 years.
The ECOWAS Monitoring Group was formed by the regime of Ibrahim Babangida as the military president as an intervention force to restore peace in war-torn Liberia in 1990.
What was worrisome, according to him, was that majority of the children did not know their fathers, while their mothers had been making frantic efforts to locate the fathers of their children, most of whom had returned to Nigeria.

“The mothers are trying to make sure they (children) are properly documented as Nigerian Liberian and so on,” he said. The DTCA boss revealed that the Committee on Diaspora had agreed to undertake a visit to Liberia on a fact-finding mission, because the matter was outside the purview of the directorate.
“We deal with matters relating to people above 40 years, but I can tell you that our Embassy in Liberia is handling issues like this.

“Hon. Dabiri-Erewa is going to undertake a trip to Liberia to find out what is happening; how we can engage with them and the like, as a government; we can’t run away fromour people; they are our people; they are still young and they need schooling and they will also need to be nurtured just like every other Nigerians,” he said.
Apart from the abandoned children in Liberia, Bassi also told the committee that there were 17 million Nigerians in Diaspora.

He informed the House that the directorate had a data base capturing Nigerians, who are experts in various fields, adding that a consortium of Nigerian engineers were currently building a rail line in Baghdad, Iraq.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian community in Gabon has called on President Goodluck Jonathan to visit the country.
The request was made by the president of the community, Mr Babatunde Yekini, when he led a delegation to the Committee on Diaspora.

He stated that such a visit would improve the relationship between Gabon and Nigeria and also douse the tension building up over allegations that Nigerians were encouraging illegal immigrants.
Yekini told the committee that there were 10,860 legal immigrants and over 200,000 illegal immigrants registered with the community, adding that more illegal immigrants were entering Gabon through Nigerian waterways in Oron, Eket Ibino and James Town.

Mrs Dabiri-Erewa assured Nigerians in Gabon that the Federal Government would look into their requests and urged them to conduct themselves within the ambit of the law.
She asked them to take advantage of their numerical strength to further improve the relationship between Nigeria and Gabon.
She also assured the DTCA that the issue of children fathered by Nigerian soldiers would be looked into.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/22/national-07-22-2010-001.htm
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:30am On Jul 24, 2010
Nonsense self-deceivers
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 3:32am On Jul 24, 2010
inflated. . .you actually believe that. . .its more like 2,500 in my opinion. . .also this is a part of war. . .name one war that never had this same problem. . .Journalist always inflate numbers to get attention. just like the so "3500" Ghanaians that took refuge in Togo after land disputes with tribes. but it turns out that that village on had a population no more than 500.  you shouldn't always read what you hear. even in the U.S.A they recently had troubles with some "false" journalism with the NAACP.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by rethink: 4:06pm On Jul 24, 2010
Nigeria the best army (infantry) in the world. brave men great Nigeria. All needed now is the creation of the core citizens or civil corp
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by daffur: 5:18pm On Jul 24, 2010
First, l want to thank the author and posters ön this for recognising the Nigerian military. Things like this do come with its own baggage, old wounds, bitterness, jealousy etc.

The government spent a whooping US$26 Billion to execute the ECOMOG intervention in both Liberia and Sierra Leone to prevent failed states existing in our backyard. Uganda, Ethopia, Kenya etc can tell of their experience with Somalia.

Nigeria currently has a little over brigade strenght serving in Daffur, Somalia. Nigerian Military is more of a forward operating military. Anything that can ensure peace within and outside our boarders must be done. So the war in Sudan must not be allowed to spiral out of control especially when your neighbouring states eg Chad is sponsoring a rebel group in the war, and the Sudanese are doing same within Chad's own boarders.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by daffur: 5:30pm On Jul 24, 2010
GAR3TH:

inflated. . .you actually believe that. . .its more like 2,500 in my opinion. . .also this is a part of war. . .name one war that never had this same problem. . .Journalist always inflate numbers to get attention. just like the so "3500" Ghanaians that took refuge in Togo after land disputes with tribes. but it turns out that that village on had a population no more than 500.  you shouldn't always read what you hear. even in the U.S.A they recently had troubles with some "false" journalism with the NAACP.

l agree with you, because l once participated in those mission under ECOMOG and UNAMSIL. One cnt deny the existence of such babies but nt in that number. Whatever happened in Japan after 1945 and South Korea after 1958, nobody said anything because we believe a lie that the US has a perfect military. But recent events in Iraq have shown that any military can be found doing the same thing in the theater of warfare or armed conflict.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by daffur: 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2010
A post mentioned AFRICOM. A retired Nigerian Army general said NO to the establishment of US military bases in three different locations of Nigeria. He was booted out by OBJ for not supporting it. We pride ourselves for having one of the best military in the world. But the leaders we have dont want to reason with that. No nation wants to enter into Daffur except Nigerian troops enter. For Somalia, we have learned our lessons. They (Western Powers) have strategic interest in a conflict zone to protect, they promise you the logistics and equipment, if we provide the Troops.

We deploy our men WiTH OUR OWN RESERVE GEAR, they nw fail to meet up with their own promises. That is why Nigeria bore the brunt of both wars in LIBERIA and SIERRA LEÖNE to the tune of 26 billion USDollars. Not accounting for the troops. I stand to be corrected and other veterans cn attest to this. We we doing a dirty job for the US protecting their interests in Rubber plantations, Diamond and Gold mines.

What you do when your interests are at stake? You fight for it. Samuel Doe a presidential guard came to power after the US assasinated the president, and his US backed successors was to be flown into the country fr6m the US and it was getting late hence the most senior man around was asked by these assassins if he can read and write. He answered YES. He was installed to prevent power vacum.

But Master Sergaent Doe followed advise given by IBB in Nigeria instead of US business interests. The CIA raised Charles Taylor against him.

We got involved to prevent those wars affecting the entire region. Thank God we have an enviable military with proven track record.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 10:25pm On Jul 24, 2010
Well homerac7,
Nice post. Didnt know some of those great facts like the support ships. Good to find out. Hopefully someone can bring up some pics (this page has a good few pics, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=676834&page=11). Though there are some things. Like you mentioned the firgate (Aruda) and one of the corvette's (Erin'mi) as being capable enough to single-handly remove the Ghanaian navy, which I would agree with if they were combat ready. Infact at many points, due to poor maintanance, Aruda struggled to move. Both have been classed as sea-worthy not combat able. As for your fast attack craft well it's yet to be determined whether they are within suitable range. Even if they are, only one of them is operable (Ekun, P183) according to this site (http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/africa/africa.htm#nig).
About the jets I dont mean to be rude but how many Kilometers would a Nigerian J7 have to travel to avoid crossing over Togolese or Benin air space. You would go round the south and target lets say Ejura in the south Central part of Ghana if you felt like being mean. Then you have to return. Me being the idiout I am did not bother to thing about airal refueling (I presume you can obviously do it lol) and other means such as the extra fuel tanks you mentioned so no point in me trying to defend that anymore. grin
So if you have anything else to say I will shut up and respect it and move on lol. lipsrsealed

@Daffur,
Nigerian troops are not in Somalia. You offered but decided not to send. Also yes you did well in Liberia but it wasnt all you, remember that. Then there is Darfur. You say you are the only ones there. Fraid not. If you do a quick check-up of the peacekeeping mission in Darfur you'll find the full list of countries involed.

As for you paddy  angry
Great pics as usual  smiley
Never knew they had UAV's and I think you described it as home-grown as well which is nice to hear. Looks a little frail so I wouldnt know whether it could take much of a battering from the elements but again some really good pics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply)

Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof / Edo 2020 Governorship Election Updates, Results And Live Monitoring / 2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC (Part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.