Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures (305693 Views)

Nigerian Military In Action At Buhari's Inauguration (photos) / Nigerian MOPOL Fighting Alongside The Military In North East(picture) / Boko Haram Set To Engage Military In Gwoza, Asks Women, Children To Leave Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 12:29am On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

The Nigerian military has become more professional since 2000. . .
They deserve the praise. . .and about governance pls direct that to the politicians. . .

stop bringing your rubbish here,everything is not politics. . this is a strictly military thread. . .

You are simply daydreaming, This is not USA, France, nor China. Have you been awed by their military and decided to bombard us with useless images to feel good about being Nigerian, or that Nigeria is now on their level (even Militarily)

I will say a million+1 times that this thread is nonsense  grin
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 12:34am On Jul 02, 2010
HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT IN THE NIGERIAN ARMED FORCES

EXCERPTS

I

" Military rule very nearly destroyed the military itself, in-fighting,politics,sanctions etc.The ideology of today's officer corps is very different since Nigeria today boasts what is VERY CLEARLY the most well-educated crop of officers ANYWHERE IN AFRICA,Cape to Cairo.

Since 1990, the NDA has turned out 3,113 degree-qualified, regular combatant commissioned officers. The Colonels and Generals though of a different era are no less qualified and apolitical. There are are thousands of other mostly non-combatant Nigerian military officers who came through civil universities and have been commissioned through the years to render specialized services - doctors, dentists, pharmacists, communicators, ICT experts, lawyers, surveyors, architects, educators, priests, imams, translators etc. "

With the 1999 clear out of coup-minded officers,the military are now truly committed to professional pursuits.

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 12:35am On Jul 02, 2010
[b]II

" The fact that the NDA became a degree-awarding institution wef 1985 means that every regular combatant officer commissioned into the Nigerian Army since 1990 has been degree-qualified. Nigerian military officer-cadets train for FIVE years (a mix of DAILY academic intsruction and military training), as against two-and-half OR three years in MOST parts of the globe. Practically ALL officers below the rank of Colonel are graduates. Some officers who were at the NDA while I was in the university have since taken advantage of foreign scholarships or tours of duty to earn masters and doctorate degrees for themselves. With the lifting of sanctions hitherto imposed on the Nigerian military, foreign training programmes have become commonplace once again.

Similarly, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find ANY general who is not a holder of one, two or three degrees. The generals whose entry into the officer corps pre-dated the era in which the NDA became a degree-awarding institution have by dint of hardwork and personal effort, earned a string of qualitative degrees. Two good examples of such contemporary-era generals are the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen AB Dambazau Phd and the Chief of Defence Intelligence, Major General BM Monguno Phd. Many general officers took the opportunity provided by foreign tours of duty to pursue higher education while others whose postings saw them in university towns (or close to such places) have simply taken the opportunity to pursue higher learning.

If you ask me, I will tell you DIRECTLY that anything between 90% and 95% of the entire officers of the Nigerian Armed Forces are degree holders. You will similarly be astonished to know the number of rank-and-file soldiers who have similarly taken advantage of proximity to university towns to earn degrees for themselves. This is made easier by the fact that you need to have an O'Level for you to be accepted into the Army as a rank-and-file soldier in the first place. When they earn degrees, some of them, depending on the availability of spaces within the officer corps, earn for themselves officer commissions after conversion courses. In 2004/2005, I was visiting Jos at a time when degree-qualified rank-and-file soldiers were preparing to sit for the conversion exams, as 80 of them from all formations nationwide were slated for elevation to the officer corps"

COURTESY BEEG EAGLE[/b]
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 12:46am On Jul 02, 2010
You are simply daydreaming, This is not USA, France, nor China. Have you been awed by their military

U might be a low self esteem, poor fellow but not me. .

why should i be awed by those militaries u name

when the fellow black ppl of sierra leone and liberia were killing themselves,chopping off hands of babies and destroying their country

were where those so-called militaries of the countries u named to help end the war?

A black man like u in 2010,still being brainwashed to hate yourself. . .
After the war,the so-called European countries are quick to go to sierra leone and film the poverty there
they are now happy to come,but couldnt care less when it could have

Go to Sierra leone and ask the average man there about the Nigerian military
and see the love and respect they have for us for putting our lives on the line
to help their country get back on its feet

even till today,we still provide the core of manpower to help rebuild their military. . . .
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 12:51am On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

[color=#000099]U might be a low self esteem, poor fellow but not me. .

why should i be awed by those militaries u name

when the fellow black ppl of sierra leone and liberia were killing themselves,chopping off hands of babies and destroying their country

were where those so-called militaries of the countries u named to help end the war?

After the war,the so-called European countries are quick to go to sierra leone and film the poverty there

even till today,we still provide the core of manpower to help rebuild their military. . . .
[/

I'm not surprised that you know nothing about politics nor anything in particular, except posting pictures of German made tanks and American manufactured aircraft carriers.

You are talking about SIerra Leone, and that we are "THE ONES BUILDING THEIR MILITARY" grin

Please, dont mistake patriotism for stupidity.

I think actually, you are the one that hates yourself, and wants to pretend that our military is first class, and that everything is OKAY in Naija. Just wait until rumor has it that your village is harboring anti-PDP members, and when they send your beloved and Western packaged army in, they will start with liquidating your compound.

This thread is nonsense cheesy

Awaiting your boyish reply with your show and tell pictures
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 12:55am On Jul 02, 2010
paddy_lo:

After the war,the so-called European  countries are quick to go to sierra leone and film the poverty there

Exactly! In Charles Taylor's final days the US Marines sat in their ships off the coast of Liberia watching the slaughter on the beaches and streets of Monrovia and did sweet F*uk All.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 12:57am On Jul 02, 2010
June 1998
The Nigerian peacekeeping force (ECOMOG) ousted Sierra Leone's military junta and restored President Ahmed Tejan Kabbah in March, with the help of the Kamajors. We meet the Kamajors - hunters from the bush - fighters who can supposedly shirk off the bullets of their enemies. Armed with amulets and colourful festishes, they're convinced that their magic protects them from death and injury. But Nigerian soldiers are struggling to maintain order amongst the Kamajors. We see the Kamajors looting towns they have taken from the RUF rebels, and watch as the ECOMOG battles to retrieve the loot. For now the Kamajors and Nigerian troops are pushing on together. ECOMOG now claims to be in control of 80% of the country

PLS CLICK LINK BELOW FOR VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n9p0wAAu1g
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 1:01am On Jul 02, 2010
Mariory:

Exactly! In Charles Taylor's final days the US Marines sat in their ships of the coast of Liberia watching the slaughter on the beaches and streets of Monovia and did sweet F*uk All.

You see, blacks killing blacks and you say US just sat there grin

And what did you do? Did you fly out their to Monrovia and save the Liberians from massacre? All this what did US do and that is rubbish. The US/American people has/have done more for you folks than your leaders have done for their own people.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 1:12am On Jul 02, 2010
mens dept:

And what did you do? Did you fly out their to Monrovia and save the Liberians from massacre? All this what did US do and that is rubbish. The US/American people has/have done more for you folks than your leaders have done for their own people.

What I didn't do is come on the internet talking nonsense about the military that made the sacrifice. And I don't even know what the bolded part of your comment is supposed to mean or who it is supposed to refer to.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 1:23am On Jul 02, 2010
Mariory:

What I didn't do is come on the internet talking nonsense about the military that made the sacrifice. And I don't even know what the bolded part of your comment is supposed to mean or who it is supposed to refer to.

So you did absolutely nothing,
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 1:34am On Jul 02, 2010
And what did you do?
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:07am On Jul 02, 2010
LOL, yes ask me.

And if I said studied for my chemistry exam?  grin grin grin

You see, lets be honest with ourselves before we start blaming the US for not intervening when many of you guys didnt do anything. I'm sure you were joining paddy_lo to post nonsense
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:15am On Jul 02, 2010
Yes, let's post Nigerian Military in Pictures to feel GOOD about ourselves:

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:15am On Jul 02, 2010
Yees

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:19am On Jul 02, 2010
More, ok sure

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:19am On Jul 02, 2010
Yes

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 2:21am On Jul 02, 2010
A few more

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Justcash(m): 3:10am On Jul 02, 2010
@Mens dept: What the heck is your problem? Are you trying to say that the Nigerian military wasted their time in Liberia and Sierra leone? If we dint go to rescue them, who would have helped them? Are you insane? Do you know anything about good neighborliness? Or Actions to spur future positive reciprocal actions from neighbors? So because the militants are Niger-deltans, they should be overlooked, and allowed to steal, despoil, kill and kidnap at will? Who told you that the military just goes into communities to butcher and kill people without course? And what evidence do you have that it has been selective? Was it not what happened in Niger-delta that happened in the North during the Boko haram onslaught? Was it not under a leader from Northern Nigeria that it happened? Don't you think that the professionalism of our military will mature and grow with the civil rule in Nigeria? Does military maturity not come with the renewal of military wares?

You must know that just as there are budget provisions for other sectors in Nigeria's economy, defence also has its own provision. In Nigeria, priority is not even given to defence, compared to the United states and most countries. So shut up my friend!

Can't you see the difference between Military and politics? Atleast now that they have been truely separated in Nigeria, can't you respect that?

The same United states that you are referring to kept manufacturing and purchasing military weapons to sustain their stay in Iraq and afghanistan, even during the recession. What does the fact that US spends more on defence tell u? So you prefer that we give our military sticks and stones as weapons just because we aint developed yet?

My friend, you better shut up and go and read for you chemistry exam. You are too young to know anything about the history of unnecessary external aggression. It is untill Cameroun, Benin republic, or Niger republic decides to test Nigeria's military strength that you will be convinced that we need a good military.

@Paddy lo: Well done bro. As far as I am concerned, a major determinant of a country to be able to sustain it's national sovereignty and gain respect is the strength of it's military. Nigeria is not yet there, but we will get there.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 3:26am On Jul 02, 2010
mens dept:

LOL, yes ask me.

And if said I studied for my chemistry exam? grin grin grin

You see, lets be honest with ourselves before we start blaming the US for not intervening when many of you guys didnt do anything. I'm sure you were joining paddy_lo to post nonsense

First off, no one is blaming the US for anything. Try to let that sink into your head please. This thread is about the Nigerian military. You see the thing is you are not the first of your kind to grace this thread.
We are aware you are feeling lonely right now but, you won't derail the thread. We will just wait for your extremely short attention span to fade with this topic. Please keep adding your own pics. Google is your friend.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 3:27am On Jul 02, 2010
@Paddy lo: Well done bro. As far as I am concerned, a major determinant of a country to be able to sustain it's national sovereignty and gain respect is the strength of it's military. Nigeria is not yet there, but we will get there.

@JUST CASH

Thanks. . u have just about said it all. . .A lot of people dont understand the role a strong military(removed from politics),plays in National development

They just need to go to youtube and type in Liberia or Sierra leone war,and see the madness that results from not having a military
strong enough to protect its civilian populace. .

Those ppl that fought those senseless wars were just like the so-called MEND and BOKO HARAM
Mad ppl that smoke marijuana and rape kill and terrorize civilians all for nothing

However in Nigeria it didnt get out of hand because we have a military that is up to the task

Further more the military industrial complex is a fundamental part of growth of a strong country
we manufacture military equipment in DICON and do shipbuilding in Lagos

but it can be better and hopefully we will get there slowly. . .
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 7:09am On Jul 02, 2010
mens dept:

Well actually the UK made 2 notable military operations into Sierre Leon. The first one failed but the secound one turned out to be more sucsessful. Also do not knock the Nigerian military. Go start up a thread for it somewhere else. If you dont agree with us, you have made your point clear. Show some pics/info or piss off.

Mariory:

Exactly! In Charles Taylor's final days the US Marines sat in their ships off the coast of Liberia watching the slaughter on the beaches and streets of Monrovia and did sweet F*uk All.
Yeah this was after Somalia. You do recognize that the US were are a little more hesitant to join the same urban war where they could have the entire city turn against them. Did they have sufficent armour? Doubt they leave it sitting on warships. And there was no one to bail them out if something went wrong.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 1:46pm On Jul 02, 2010
Justcash:

@Mens dept: What the heck is your problem? Are you trying to say that the Nigerian military wasted their time in Liberia and Sierra leone? If we dint go to rescue them, who would have helped them? Are you insane? Do you know anything about good neighborliness? Or Actions to spur future positive reciprocal actions from neighbors? So because the militants are Niger-deltans, they should be overlooked, and allowed to steal, despoil, kill and kidnap at will? Who told you that the military just goes into communities to butcher and kill people without course? And what evidence do you have that it has been selective? Was it not what happened in Niger-delta that happened in the North during the Boko haram onslaught? Was it not under a leader from Northern Nigeria that it happened? Don't you think that the professionalism of our military will mature and grow with the civil rule in Nigeria? Does military maturity not come with the renewal of military wares?

You must know that just as there are budget provisions for other sectors in Nigeria's economy, defence also has its own provision. In Nigeria, priority is not even given to defence, compared to the United states and most countries. So shut up my friend!

Can't you see the difference between Military and politics? Atleast now that they have been truely separated in Nigeria, can't you respect that?

The same United states that you are referring to kept manufacturing and purchasing military weapons to sustain their stay in Iraq and afghanistan, even during the recession. What does the fact that US spends more on defence tell u? So you prefer that we give our military sticks and stones as weapons just because we aint developed yet?

My friend, you better shut up and go and read for you chemistry exam. You are too young to know anything about the history of unnecessary external aggression. It is untill Cameroun, Benin republic, or Niger republic decides to test Nigeria's military strength that you will be convinced that we need a good military.

Nonsense, Cameroon and Niger wanting to invade Naija lol!!!

No one is trying to derail or discredit the military. But in a country like Nigeria, you can't separate politics and the armed forces. Neither can you start a thread that is deceptive of our true situation----a rogue state perpetuated by its military.

People are here praising the wrong institution and groups, and posting useless pictures of Western manufactured weapons that a country like Nigeria doesnt know how to make themselves. The only military persons who can look forward to adequate care after they retire are the IBB's, Abubukar's, and OBJ's.

You guys are not astute politic persons, hence daydreamers that haven't yet awoken. Tribute to the Nigerian Army LOL!!!

Let's have a tribute to the Nigerian Police and Nigerian Customs and Nigerian Governors like Ibori. C'mon, lets do it and forget about tributes to real leaders and better institutes that have done better for Nigeria.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 1:53pm On Jul 02, 2010
Mariory:

First off, no one is blaming the US for anything. Try to let that sink into your head please. This thread is about the Nigerian military. You see the thing is you are not the first of your kind to grace this thread.
We are aware you are feeling lonely right now but, you won't derail the thread. We will just wait for your extremely short attention span to fade with this topic. Please keep adding your own pics. Google is your friend.

Not only google, but Nairaland,

You guys say this thread is about the Nigerian Military. Fine, so that's why I will also post other views about that military, that are more applicable to our sorry plight as a nation. No sugarcoating, no fairy tale, no deception.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 02, 2010
You guys are not astute politic persons, hence daydreamers that haven't yet awoken. Tribute to the Nigerian Army LOL!!!

Let's have a tribute to the Nigerian Police and Nigerian Customs and Nigerian Governors like Ibori. C'mon, lets do it and forget about tributes to real leaders and better institutes that have done better for Nigeria.
[b]@Mens dept

Up until 1967. . The USA u idolize did not guarantee equal rights to its black citizens
Its black citizens could die for the country while serving the U.S army
but could not use the same dining rooms,hotels,rail cars, and so on like its white citizens

Earlier than that the very USA army was segregated and black soldiers could not serve with white soldiers. . . .

In the same time u had Fiascos like Vietnam where 66,000 American troops died. . .some say for nothing

In all the above the citizens still had faith,and still have faith in their military. . . .

If u tell me the Nigerian military had problems before 2000. . it is true

but since the yr 2000,the military has been the most professional force since the 1960s
The chief of Naval,Defense and Army staff. . are all American trained PHDs

I am sure even u with your chemistry dont have a PHD,cause if u do. . u will respect that academic excellence
Again the thread is not about police,customs or Governors. . .Its about the military

In Africa,the Nigerian military is one of the few that has learnt to live under civilian authority which is a fact for 11 straight yrs now
Finally i see u are an Ethnic Jingoist. . If u dont like Nigeria by all means try and find your way out of the country

No one forces u to remain there. . .and stop spewing lies here
in your other post u lied that the military will come after me if i am not in the PDP
forgeting that important states like LAGOS,KANO,EDO,ANAMBRA,ABIA,ONDO and about 7other northern states are controlled by the opposition

This is the last time i will be addressing your rants. . if u like post pornograpic pictures its your perogative
[/b]
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 2:40pm On Jul 02, 2010
AMPHIBIOUS TROOPS OF THE 81 DIVISION, NIGERIAN ARMY IN TRAINING EXERCISE OFF THE SLAVE COAST, BADAGRY, SW NIGERIA- 25 JUNE 2009

[b]Between 2001 and 2008, the Nigerian Armed Forces have entered into contractual agreements and/or taken delivery of the following:

NINE Mi-34 helicopters

SIX Mi-35P gunships

Mi-24 gunships

FOUR Mi-17 utility choppers

SEVEN Agusta A109 Power helicopters

FOUR Agusta A139 helicopters

77 units of T-72 tanks

16 units of AMX-30 tanks

50 additional units of T-55 tanks

67 units of MT-LB APC/IFVs

193 units of Otokar Cobra APCs

47 units of BTR-3 APCs

18 units of BTR-70 APCs

6 units of BTR-60 APCs(probably complimentary hardware from Russia)

18 units of Panhard M3 APCs

70 additional units of 8X8 MOWAG APCs

18 additional units of Oto Melara 105 mm howitzers

23 additional units of Palmaria 155mm self-propelled howitzers

48 units of BOFORS Archer 155 mm gun-howitzers

FOUR Balsam-class 61m logistics ships

TWO stealth offshore patrol craft

British-made supply vessels

Many dozens of Chinese, US and Singapore-built fast response boats, troop landing craft and gunboats in the 10-25m configs.

FIFTEEN F-7 jets valued at US$251m

Refurbishment+upgrade of FIVE G-222 medium-lift aircraft at US$69m

Refurbishment+upgrade of EIGHT C-130 Hercules military transport planes at US$120m

Refurbishment+upgrade of TWELVE Aermacchi MB-339 advanced trainer/light attack jets at US$84m

Refurbishment+upgrade of TWENTY-ONE L-39 Albatross advanced trainer/light attack jets

Refurbishment+upgrade of TWELVE Aerospatiale SA-330 Puma utility choppers

Refurbishment+upgrade of ELEVEN Eurocopter AS-532 Super Puma/Cougar utility choppers

Unmanned Aerial and Maritime surveillance systems at US$260m

TWO ATR-42MP Surveyor maritime patrol aircraft at US$83m

EXPECTED

1,450+ton oceangoing OPVs @US$260m

More 38m stealth Offshore Patrol Craft from Singapore

Super Dvora and Shaldag gunboats from Israel

More Chinese gunboats and landing craft (rumoured end-figure of 200 units, including already delivered units)

More Singaporean gunboats

TWELVE Agusta A109 Power helicopters

TWELVE Eurocopter AS-550 Fennec naval attack choppers

FOUR Offshore Patrol Craft from France

THIRTY gunboats from France

COURTESY BEEG EAGLE FOR COMPILATION
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2010
[b]PEACE KEEPING OPERATIONS: NARRATION COURTESY BEEG EAGLE

At 2000hrs October 1 2009,NTA Network Service put out a delightfully packaged, one hour documentary on the Nigerian Army's peace keeping efforts across the globe. we see practically all the photos of the 2003 ECOMIL landings at Monrovia Airport which took place in driving rain and the triumphant entry of Nigerian troops into Monrovia which are available on this thread, PRACTICALLY COME ALIVE via video footage. we see footage of MOWAG Piranha APCs and Panhard VBL recce vehicles in action in SLR and LBR during the ECOMOG years. We also see the reinstatement of President Kabbah and the Battle of Freetown, as well as images of the Nigerian Army in action in East Timor, Rwanda, Somalia(Maj. Gen Oshanupin, a retired GOC of 3 Armoured Div commanded one of the battalions in Somalia), Bosnia, Kosovo, Cambodia, Darfur etc.

For the avoidance of doubt, Dr Mohammed Ibn Chambas who chairs the ECOWAS Commission confirmed the fact which we had previously stated. [size=13pt]He said that even though US Marines had been stationed offshore during the height of the 2nd Liberian Civil War, they only entered Monrovia to evacuate US nationals after two Nigerian battalions had landed and stabilized the situation in the city. Thereafter, ECOMIL troops from West Africa joined the effort until ECOMIL gave way for the emergence of UNMIL in October 2003. According to Dr Chambas, that landing and insertion of Nigerian troops in Monrovia was the turning point and the beginning of the return of peace to Liberia.[/size]

In a different account, [size=13pt]a top SLR diplomat Mr Spencer narrated how he called up the Special Envoy to Sierra Leone, Ambassador Oluyemi Adeniji, to inform him about the grave situation of things during the Battle of Freetown. It was only a matter of time, according to Spencer. He said Adeniji gave him the phone number of Major General Leo Ajiborisa who at the time was the Principal Staff Oficer to Nigeria's Head of State, General Abubakar.

Immediately, General Abubakar gave precise orders for the immediate deployment to Freetown of two Nigerian battalions from Liberia and a battalion direct from Lagos. They plunged straight into the fighting while more reinorcements poured into Freetown from Nigeria. This was December 1998/January 1999.

In his own words, President Kabbah himself said that the Nigerian troops engaged the hostile elements with such passion as would suggest that Sierra Leone constitutes a part of Nigeria.[/size][/b]
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 2:57pm On Jul 02, 2010
THE BEAST, BTR-60(NA operates 6 units of This bad boy)

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 4:08pm On Jul 02, 2010
mens dept:

Not only google, but Nairaland,

You guys say this thread is about the Nigerian Military. Fine, so that's why I will also post other views about that military, that are more applicable to our sorry plight as a nation. No sugarcoating, no fairy tale, no deception.

Like I said we've already had your kind on this thread. Go ahead and post pics no problem. In fact, I'm willing to bet you will be posting pictures already on the thread.

lordangers:

Yeah this was after Somalia. You do recognize that the US were are a little more hesitant to join the same urban war where they could have the entire city turn against them. Did they have sufficent armour? Doubt they leave it sitting on warships. And there was no one to bail them out if something went wrong.

I only used that as an example to show what the military was willing to sacrifice to prevent chaos in West Africa. The US will rightly use their military as they deem fit just as Nigeria would.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 6:05pm On Jul 02, 2010
AIR CHIEF MARSHAL PAUL DIKE, NIGERIAN CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF WITH MAJOR GENERAL NELSON-WILLIAMS, HIS SIERRA LEONEAN COUNTRPART AT THE NATIONAL DEFENCE COLLEGE, ABUJA
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 12:27am On Jul 03, 2010
PLS Nigeria buys very little equipment from  the USA. . .u must be talking of EGYPT

Nigeria is a major recipient of military aid from the US, this aid actually increased since Obama assumed office:

The clearest indication of President Obama's intentions for AFRICOM (United States African Command) and for America's military involvement in Africa is provided by the budget requests for the 2010 financial year submitted by the Departments of State and Defense to Congress in May 2009. The State Department budget request - which includes funding for all US arms sales, military training, and other security assistance programmes - proposes major increases in funding for US arms sales to a number of African countries through the Foreign Military Financing (FMF) programme. The budget proposes to increase FMF funding for sub-Saharan African counties more than 300 per cent, from just over US$8.2 million to more than US$25.5 million, with additional increases in funding for Maghrebi countries. Major recipients slated for increases include Chad (US$500,000), the Democratic Republic of Congo (US$2.5 million), Djibouti (US$2.5 million), Ethiopia (US$3 million), Kenya (US$1 million), Liberia (US$9 million), Morocco (US$9 million), Nigeria (US$1.4 million), South Africa (US$800,000) and the Africa Regional Program (US$2.8 million).

AND how many Nigerians have the military killed. . .u must be smoking something in that UK u live
a lot of u guys have stayed out of the country so long u are out of touch with reality and listen to propaganda
. . .

have you forgotten the Odi massacre, how about Zaki Biam, and all other atrocities carried out in the niger delta region in recent times under instructions from the nigerian military. 

Nigerians regularly have one communal clash or the other and it is this same military that goes to cool things down
Perhaps u want us to be like congo were the military is so weak,it cannot protect its civilians and 5 Foriegn armys invade it,loot and kill its citizens

for your information the war being fought in the congo is a proxy war in which americans are using rwandan and ugandan troops to fight the congolese on their (america's) behalf, the americans are trying to take over control of the minefields and they are using african troops to do their dirty work for them, much the same way they used nigerian "peace keeping" troops to secure war torn sierra leone and liberia. 

U talk of UN. . .or NATO. . .How are they faring in Afghanistan or Iraq. . pls u are bringing emotions to this

I think they are doing quite well if you ask me, they have occupied a soveriegn nation and they remain there to date despite widespread antagonism from the indigenous people. 

and before u slander the NIGERIAN MILITARY on JOS know that without them being there the animals there will still be killing themselves

so why did they stand down when they knew that a massacre was imminent?

u cannot blame peacekeepers for conflict
and if the peacekeepers have one or 2 bad eggs(alledgedly),then improve the training logistics,equipment and pay
not rubbish them like u are doing here

they are not peace keepers - they are merely servants of the west fighting proxy wars on behalf of their masters

Its funny u hide in the UK behind a strong military, but you dont wish the same for nigerians

the nigerian military is not protecting its citizens,  as i said earlier its main objective is to repress and terrorise its own people, that is why america and britain sell nigeria millions of dollars worth of arms, the arms business is one of the most lucrative businesses in the world, it is a guaranteed money spinner and many foreign businesses make money through arms sales and fomenting of wars all over the world - you seem to be under the naive impression that the nigerian military is there to defend the territorial integrity of the nation, Nigeria is a client state of america and britain and it buys arms in order to protect itself from the masses, not to protect the masses of the country, in other words those arms are used to prevent any revolutionary overthrow of the current bunch of bloodsucking crooks that are currently in power.

I advise u to stop visiting this page if u have nothing better to say. . .rubbish

You are going to have to learn to accept the truth, stop hiding behind these pictures and face up to the  reality of the fact that your own govt couldnt care less about its people, it merely buys these arms in order to prevent the ordinary nigerian man from rising up and trying to remove them from power.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 12:38am On Jul 03, 2010
Nigeria is a major recipient of military aid from the US

U call $1.4 million major?. . .u must be joking

Egypt and Israel recieve $3billion dollars each a yr in military equipment

Whatever collaboration the US army is doing with Nigeria it is anything but major pls. . .

Ps your conspiracy theories are laughable. . .lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (26) (Reply)

Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof / Edo 2020 Governorship Election Updates, Results And Live Monitoring / 2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC (Part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.