Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (693487 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by akandry: 7:45pm On Apr 13, 2017
omoluabiguy:

Maybe If you post your visa transcript, gurus could look into it, see where things went wrong and suggest a solution. And YES you can always reapply if you want
ok I applied to baltimore city community college and I go admitted I've paid for my semis already and I book for my appointment and this is how the interview went

VO: Good morning
Me: good morning
VO: slot in your passport
VO: why are you going to US
Me: I'm going for study
VO: how many schools did you applied to
Me one
VO: what school
Me : baltimore city community college
VO: why associate degree and not bachelor degree
Me: I want to have a solid foundation cos the basic education I acquired isn't enough for me to to advance further
VO: that's not the reason they are on same level one is just higher than the other
VO: pass me my passport and my denial letter

That's how I got denied so house please do I still have any chance of getting a visa cos right now I want to defer my admission to fall hoping by my next interview I will be granted and what do you think I should have said? Thanks guys
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2017
akandry:
ok I applied to baltimore city community college and I go admitted I've paid for my semis already and I book for my appointment and this is how the interview went

Me one
Me: I want to have a solid foundation cos the basic education I acquired isn't enough for me to to advance further
VO: that's not the reason they are on same level one is just higher than the other

That's how I got denied so house please do I still have any chance of getting a visa cos right now I want to defer my admission to fall hoping by my next interview I will be granted and what do you think I should have said? Thanks guys

Sorry for your denial....
Did you prepare at all ?
Did you read pass transcript to learn a thing or two especially since you are going through Community college route
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by mrsmith11(m): 8:09pm On Apr 13, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Did you prepare at all ?
Did you read pass transcript to learn a thing or two especially since you are going through Community college route

I sent u a mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:19pm On Apr 13, 2017
mrsmith11:

I sent u a mail

Did not receive the mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OGreene: 8:28pm On Apr 13, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by bigjustine: 8:49pm On Apr 13, 2017
Hi guys, i have a very big issue right now, my school stopped giving out CPT to international student, this was an issue from the department of nursing, so i decided to go ahead and work with a firm that deals with people with developmental disability, but the issue now is that, i worked with them for 1 month and they started asking for my green card even after i have submitted my social and drivers licence, so i decided to quit, but they have been calling for it. i told them i dont have it, the HR said she is going to report that to the DHS. I am just confused, i dont know what the result might be. i need help.
has anyone ever been in this kinda situation before?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by akandry: 9:03pm On Apr 13, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Did you prepare at all ?
have not been following the thread cos I've been off nairaland for a while do is there any advice you can give or suggestions to what I can do next?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by omoluabiguy: 9:09pm On Apr 13, 2017
akandry:

Me one

Sorry for your denial. I think you didn't do a lot of research before you embarked on the whole process. I'm sure the gurus in the house would give you more advice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by omoluabiguy: 9:16pm On Apr 13, 2017
bigjustine:
Hi guys, i have a very big issue right now, my school stopped giving out CPT to international student, this was an issue from the department of nursing, so i decided to go ahead and work with a firm that deals with people with developmental disability, but the issue now is that, i worked with them for 1 month and they started asking for my green card even after i have submitted my social and drivers licence, so i decided to quit, but they have been calling for it. i told them i dont have it, the HR said she is going to report that to the DHS. I am just confused, i dont know what the result might be. i need help.

shocked bros you get mind ooo. For this trump era, you switching lanes and testing the law.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 9:19pm On Apr 13, 2017
chinemomah2020:
Hello Great guru's in the house.. please i have a big question that has been bordering me and i need urgent response please guys. Have received my admission letter and i-20. But i didn't write any exam like TOFEL or SAT but i did well English in my O' level result and the school didn't ask for any of those and i also saw this on the school website:-

ETSU is no longer requiring SAT or ACT scores for admission from international students who complete secondary education outside of the United States.   ETSU strongly advises that students who take the SAT or ACT request scores to be sent to ETSU in the event that the students want to apply for scholarships.  Students who do not submit official SAT or ACT scores to ETSU will be required to take the COMPASS test upon arriving on campus.  The COMPASS test results determine placement in university level courses. Submitting SAT or ACT scores would eliminate the requirement to test upon arrival at ETSU.

ACT/SAT scores may be recommended or required if:

·   the applicant is applying for competitive scholarships;
·   the applicant is applying for admission into a specific program;
·  the applicant believes test scores provide further evidence of academic ability; or
·  the applicant is a prospective student-athlete.
Information about programs that require ACT/SAT scores is available on the websites that describe the program. 

Now my big question is? What will i tell the VO if am been ask Did you write any Exam..?

Please kindly advice me on what to say @ Lagosismyhome, Fedoricko, happyday Walspring.

Writing exams on its own doesn't guarantee the visa. Only that you'll need to convince the VO that you have more than enough financial backing to not struggle when you arrive. That you'll plan to study, and not depend on any sort of part-time job to rely on, either to pay for tuition or personal expenses.

So, if you're asked if you wrote any exam, say the truth. "No, you tested out of the exams based on your O'level results, and the school admission reqs". Then, be prepared to convince him/her that you've got all expenses covered, at least for the first year. Better if you can show proof for all 4 years.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 9:26pm On Apr 13, 2017
akandry:

Me one

I believe you were more enthusiastic than this during your actual interview. First of all, you could work more on your energy. Come alive, and let them know you're really excited to go study. "I'm going for study" doesn't cut it. You should have a well prepared answer that covers the school, course and the duration of the program to answer the question :"Why are you going to the US?"

Second of all, people do get visas for associate degrees, but be ready to do a really awesome job at defending yourself. For your sake and America's, it's better you come in for a BSc and not Associate. So, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Why, really, are you going for an Associate degree, when there's Bachelor's?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 9:50pm On Apr 13, 2017
bigjustine:

Lol you basically ruined any chance of staying in the US permanently. Sorry. They must have employed you on the basis that you claimed you had work authorization. Just hope HR does not report you as this will Have an impact on your getting a green card and/or citizenship in future.

Too many of you think you're "smart".
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 9:52pm On Apr 13, 2017
akandry:

Me one

You will be denied again. Read this thread thoroughly and start again. This time go for a bachelors in a good school.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:11pm On Apr 13, 2017
akandry:
have not been following the thread cos I've been off nairaland for a while do is there any advice you can give or suggestions to what I can do next?

If you really want something then you need to put in the effort from begining to the end... .so to be off nairaland and not utilising the resource here shows you dont really want it ..

Go back to the beginning. Read previous transcripts. Apply to more uni and not C. Colleges and if you must go through C.College route then learn how to sell yourself well

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by saninwa: 10:18pm On Apr 13, 2017
Please I have a question to ask
Is it compulsory to submit the National Identification Number on the DS 160?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by bigjustine: 10:23pm On Apr 13, 2017
TWoods:

Lol you basically ruined any chance of staying in the US permanently. Sorry. They must have employed you on the basis that you claimed you had work authorization. Just hope HR does not report you as this will Have an impact on your getting a green card and/or citizenship in future.

Too many of you think you're "smart".
read my post again, if you can't offer advice, i need solution and not your condemnation. i believe anyone in my shoe will do the same because my school stopped international student from getting a cpt that will enable them to work.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 10:32pm On Apr 13, 2017
bigjustine:

read my post again, if you can't offer advice, i need solution and not your condemnation. i believe anyone in my shoe will do the same because my school stopped international student from getting a cpt that will enable them to work.

1. Anyone who does what you did is a short sighted fraud. Your school is not under an obligation to offer you a CPT. You can either work on OPT, if available, or seek an employer to apply for an H1B on your behalf.

2. There is no advice to offer you. Basically you're screwed. If the HR reports you, your F1 visa will be canceled and your chances of getting a green card are slim.

3. Bluntly telling you the repercussions of your deliberate actions isn't condemning you, that is just manipulative nonsense. You knew that your employer would have to file an I-9 form for every employee (they can't lie if they paid you as that payment will be reflected in their IRS filings).

What solution is anyone going to give you? Your SSN is on file...

4. Spare me... you thought you were being smart, you forgot that this isn't Nigeria, where anything goes. Good luck to you.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by omoluabiguy: 10:39pm On Apr 13, 2017
saninwa:
Please I have a question to ask
Is it compulsory to submit the National Identification Number on the DS 160?

No. Not everyone has the national ID. There should be other section to fill the passport number and that should pass for it

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 13, 2017
jeffery23:
Hello good day house, i ve a bsc in accounting, I 've 3.49/5.00 cgpa in a skul here in nigeria and I want to apply for masters in management or any business related course available to skuls within LA but am confused which exam to write btw Gmat and Gre, buh was told gre is beta tho i want to confirm from gurus in the house, i have ietls already, m just confused which exam to write base on the skul or embassy requirements, and if anyone have any suggestions of skuls to choose in LA, will really appreciate

thanks and God bless

If it's from a business school, GMAT is preferred cos I learnt some recruiters from business schools request for GMAT scores only. It's like a gold standard. The trend may change very soon though...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 11:36pm On Apr 13, 2017
jeffery23:
Hello good day house, i ve a bsc in accounting, I 've 3.49/5.00 cgpa in a skul here in nigeria and I want to apply for masters in management or any business related course available to skuls within LA but am confused which exam to write btw Gmat and Gre, buh was told gre is beta tho i want to confirm from gurus in the house, i have ietls already, m just confused which exam to write base on the skul or embassy requirements, and if anyone have any suggestions of skuls to choose in LA, will really appreciate

thanks and God bless

Why LA? You should be open-minded to schools, especially if you're aiming for MBA programs. Take the GMAT.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by enye2000: 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2017
nellyalph:

Give it at least a year... Here, they don't recommend you take all science courses in one semester. Courses like anatomy and physiology 1&2, chemistry, microbiology and sometimes nutrition. You have to space them in two semesters and add some non-science prerequisite courses to them to make it 12 hours. And mind you, all the courses I listed are 'with lab', hence 4 units.

You might be exempted you took the courses in the last ten years...

Thank you..i have to contact college around here and register for some prerequisites and start immediately. ..hopefully by next admission cycle next year would ve completed some
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by akin3102(m): 1:51am On Apr 14, 2017
Gram!Lobatan!
TWoods:

1. Anyone who does what you did is a short sighted fraud. Your school is not under an obligation to offer you a CPT. You can either work on OPT, if available, or seek an employer to apply for an H1B on your behalf.

2. There is no advice to offer you. Basically you're screwed. If the HR reports you, your F1 visa will be canceled and your chances of getting a green card are slim.

3. Bluntly telling you the repercussions of your deliberate actions isn't condemning you, that is just manipulative nonsense. You knew that your employer would have to file an I-9 form for every employee (they can't lie if they paid you as that payment will be reflected in their IRS filings).

What solution is anyone going to give you? Your SSN is on file...

4. Spare me... you thought you were being smart, you forgot that this isn't Nigeria, where anything goes. Good luck to you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by akin3102(m): 1:54am On Apr 14, 2017
Just go and Explain your case to the HR and return the money they paid you.meaning you work for free. you might not like Twood's comments but he just told you the truth. You kinda messed things up.
bigjustine:

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 2:24am On Apr 14, 2017
akin3102:
Just go and Explain your case to the HR and return the money they paid you.meaning you work for free. you might not like Twood's comments but he just told you the truth. You kinda messed things up.

You raise a good point. He may consider going back to his employer and being honest with them - tell them he had no work authorization and pay back any money he earned as wages. Hopefully if he explains the serious consequences of their reporting to dhs on his visa status, they may be kind enough to convert his time there to an unpaid volunteer. Fingers crossed.

I'm certain he lied about his status to obtain the job, the employer also made the mistake of relying on his words and failing to insist on filing his I-9 form before he could start working.

Running away and continuing to lie to his employer is a short term fix, but ultimately a futile one. USCIS will have records of this job at his green card interview. Good luck avoiding that one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 2:26am On Apr 14, 2017
bigjustine:

Don't work off campus, is a song every international student can relate to. If you're not given any backup document to work outside, you can't just go ahead. Also, CPT has to be part of your degree requirement, which in this case is not. You've violated your F1 visa terms and conditions. Hope the HR don't report you. May God help you. I don't think I've seen any case like this here before, even if there is, they won't come out here.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 2:32am On Apr 14, 2017
imperiouxx:

Don't work off campus, is a song every international student can relate to. You've violated your F1 visa rule. May God help you.

You can legally work off campus after your first year. the issue isn't so much that he worked when he was unauthorized, the problem is that he lied about his immigration status to obtain a job.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 2:38am On Apr 14, 2017
TWoods:

You can legally work off campus after your first year. the issue isn't so much that he worked when he was unauthorized, the problem is that he lied about his immigration status to obtain a job.

Yea I know. This is after he gets approved for filing economic hardship, CPT or pre-OPT. The main point like you've said is he wasn't approved before going to secure an employment outside campus.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by akandry: 6:30am On Apr 14, 2017
LagosismyHome:

If you really want something then you need to put in the effort from begining to the end... .so to be off nairaland and not utilising the resource here shows you dont really want it ..

Go back to the beginning. Read previous transcripts. Apply to more uni and not C. Colleges and if you must go through C.College route then learn how to sell yourself well
thanks for the advice but I opinion in for college because it's less expensive compare to university so if I defer my admission to fall this year and reapply for my visa what are the chances of me getting a visa or will I still get denied again? looking forward to your response thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:41am On Apr 14, 2017
TWoods:

I sent you a pm. Please reply ASAP. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by DifferentCase(m): 7:48am On Apr 14, 2017
You nailed it! Dude's answer was just like VO: What is Nigeria?
Me: Nigeria is a country

No! No! No! You should be able to say something encapsulating
Just as @Lagosismyhome said, dude didn't go through transcripts. The VO already knows you are going for studies, but he may not know of much about your course, your true intentions and all! That question rephrased is simply 'hey, intending student, let's meet you'! So, with that, in less than how many seconds, your intentions, school, study outcome comes in.

So, just put in more efforts from the forum and hit again, you will win.
happyday:

I believe you were more enthusiastic than this during your actual interview. First of all, you could work more on your energy. Come alive, and let them know you're really excited to go study. "I'm going for study" doesn't cut it. You should have a well prepared answer that covers the school, course and the duration of the program to answer the question :"Why are you going to the US?"

Second of all, people do get visas for associate degrees, but be ready to do a really awesome job at defending yourself. For your sake and America's, it's better you come in for a BSc and not Associate. So, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Why, really, are you going for an Associate degree, when there's Bachelor's?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Chapecoense(m): 8:33am On Apr 14, 2017
DifferentCase:
You nailed it! Dude's answer was just like VO: What is Nigeria?
Me: Nigeria is a country

No! No! No! You should be able to say something encapsulating
Just as @Lagosismyhome said, dude didn't go through transcripts. The VO already knows you are going for studies, but he may not know of much about your course, your true intentions and all! That question rephrased is simply 'hey, intending student, let's meet you'! So, with that, in less than how many seconds, your intentions, school, study outcome comes in.

So, just put in more efforts from the forum and hit again, you will win.
nice one

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.