Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,523 members, 7,836,998 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (703213 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by djmakson(m): 4:16am On May 20, 2017
Congrats brother. Kenneth told me about your breakthrough when I got out of bed this morning. See you soon.

mecigr8s:
Firstly, I want to appreciate the Almighty GOD for giving an individual, Seun Osewa, a thought to create an informative forum like this,Nairaland. My big thank you also goes to GUNTHER6 for opening my eyes to the schooling opportunities in the U.S. I never knew until I met him ,through Nairaland. We later met at Iyana-Ipaja in July last year when he was to help me with a GRE voucher. Actually, I wanted to write the GRE in order to meet up with the requirement of FH Aachen, a university in Germany. I had the intention of schooling in Germany before GUNTHER6 made me to understand I could spend less , in U.S, if offered a Graduate Assistantship with a monthly stipend. Immediately I heard this, I started conducting a research about schools in the US, their admission requirements and how to go about funding.
Fast forward to today, I got to the embassy at about 6:10am, kept my bag with a lady towards the entrance of the gate for a fee of #1000( I was actually prepared for it). She helped me with the correct arrangement of documents and told me to join the queue. Security checks took place and documents were inspected; with a barcode glued to the back of my passport. Inside the interview room , biometric documentation was done and I later joined the queue for the interview. I must confess that the processes and procedures before the interview were very thorough.
Here goes the conversation between the Visa Officer ( a lady in window 7) and I:
VO: Good morning (with smiles)
ME: Good morning ( I smiled back at her)
VO: Please, pass me your I-20 and passport
ME: Here they are.
VO: So, you are going to Middle Tennessee State University?
ME: Yes, madam.
VO: What other schools did you apply to?
ME: I applied to three other schools and got admitted in all the schools.
VO: Really? So, why this particular one( referring to Middle Tennessee State University)?
ME: One of my career mentors, Engr. Ad…. , who is also the Factory Engineer of “Blank” Nigeria PLC, where I work as an Industrial Technician, strongly recommended the school for me because he is an alumnus of the school and he told me how attending the school has given his career a lift. Besides, MTSU provides experiential learning opportu…..(cuts in..it’s ok)
VO: What is your highest qualification?
ME: Bachelor of Science in Electrical- Electronics Engineering
VO: When did you graduate?
ME: 2015
VO: What have you been doing since then?
ME: I have been working as an Industrial Technician with “Blanck” Nigeria PLC
VO: Tell me, how are you going to fund your studies?
ME: I have got a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend through a Graduate Assistantship awarded to me by my department( VO Checks my I-20 and cuts in….. )
VO: It does not cover all your fees.
ME: Yes, the outstanding fee will be taken care of by my dad
VO what does he do.
ME: I told her.
VO: Where are you going to stay when you arrive in US?
ME: I have not made any arrangement for now.
VO: Okay, I will be approving your visa……….
The truth is I promised myself to listen to those words people here do claim not to hear again upon the approval of their visa, but alas, I fell for this “temporary deafness” as well! I couldn’t hear anything again immediately I sighted her circling a portion of the white paper. All that was in my mind was to grab the white paper together with my I-20 and bounce out(LOL). No document was requested . My observation about this interview thing is that the VOs want to see that you are a genuine student. Again, there should not be any discrepancy in the information filled in DS-160 and your response. Confidence, eye contact ,being able to express oneself well are all very important .The very few seconds of interaction ,at times, could be key in determining what the outcome will be.
My appreciation goes to all the contributors in this thread.I may not be able to mention all the monikers here but thanks to Lagosimyhome,Walspring,Femi32,Texrem ,Djmakins, the GRE thread contributors… et all.
My special regards goes to @ Kenkool, who is now an alumnus of MTSU. He has been there for me during the time of application process and he did play a brotherly role through the relevant information he gave .I will not forget in a hurry his contributions in ensuring that the departmental Graduate Assistantship position did not elude me.
For those who may need this information, I will be doing my Master’s in Engineering Technology and here goes my profile( not in any way stellar):
ND, HND and B.Sc ( all in Electrical-Electronics Engineering with an overall GPA of 3.50/4.0 after an official WES evaluation). GRE score is 301( Q 152, Verb 149, AWA 3.5) after I wrote it again; while I had a score of 87 in my TOEFL .
Please, pardon me; an epistle it is!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:35am On May 20, 2017
mecigr8s congratulations and welcome to the Volunteer State!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:50am On May 20, 2017
I don't advise using WES for WAEC evaluation, rather use ECE to save time and money. With ECE you don't need to go to WAEC office to tell them to send your WAEC to ECE because ECE will ask you for WAEC scratch card for them to login to confirm your waec on there site and also evaluate it without you stepping foot in waec office.
Brian10:
Hello!
Please does anyone know how long it takes for WAEC to send a written verification to WES so they can begin my evaluation?
Also, how long before the request from wES is delivered to WAEC?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Dominic147(m): 9:02am On May 20, 2017
good day everyone, i just received my i-20 docs from university Arkansas and on my education level *other: graduate certificate* is what was writing there and my program date duration is 2 yrs. i was admitted for master's in engineering technology. Hope this wont contradict anything on my interview date? Please your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by electronic(m): 9:58am On May 20, 2017
Dominic147:
good day everyone, i just received my i-20 docs from southern Arkansas university and on my education level *other: graduate certificate* is what was writing there and my program date duration is 2 yrs. i was admitted for master's in engineering technology. Hope this wont contradict anything on my interview date? Please your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are not going for a "graduate certificate" program then there is a Contradiction already.. Change it ASAP to avoid matters that touch
VOs don't take such things lightly. You can check the VOs thread and ask..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Floyd45(m): 10:52am On May 20, 2017
Good Morning to you all, i have been able to get some schools in Georgia still accepting application from International students for Fall 2017. Seeing that admission involves a length process, i'm thinking i should rather start preparing for Spring instead. One of the university still has its deadline for July 15. Does anyone honestly think i can meet up with this deadline? My major concerns are sending of transcript and the process of immunization proof. Here is a link if any one is interested http://www.collegesimply.com/guides/application-deadlines/georgia/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Kingbukaz: 11:03am On May 20, 2017
damselnikky:

I actually applied to another university too Pennstate but they said i shld pay tuition of $46k before they can send my I20. So i had to go with the community college who sent the i20
How much did you pay for the community college? Which program?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Kingbukaz: 11:08am On May 20, 2017
segunojo866:
they so many top schools in america . Why settle for a community college. Apply to a top university and after getting ur visa transfer to any community college of your choice.
please, what's the range of tuition for the top schools?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LadunaI(m): 11:18am On May 20, 2017
drhopeful:
Visa approved this morning at Lagos Consulate by the purportedly mean Chinese-looking guy. After dishing out blue papers, it finally got to my turn.

VO: Good morning Ma'am
Me: Good morning
VO: What are you going to do in the US?
Me: I am going to study for a PhD in Materials Engineering at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville
VO: Cool. Pass me your documents
Me: [Obliged]
VO: [Critically peruses my I-20 while I stare at him like one mumu girl and then he exclaims...] Wow! You got a full package from UVA! UVA is a great school. I am so excited for you and I can imagine you can't wait to start! Wow! This is nice! Are you excited?
Me: Yes, I am. Thank you. [At this point, I was just too shocked because it was not kind of interview I have been hearing about on here. I expected those their standard questions, which I had ready answers for]
VO: When last were you in the US?
Me: February last year, on vacation
VO: I am still so excited for you!
Me: Thank you
VO: Where is your husband?
Me: He is outside
VO: [Types and stares at his screen...] Honestly, everything looks perfect..... [Hands me white paper]. Enjoy Your studies!

End of interview that did not feel like interview. After all my prepped-up answers sad wink grin

Anyways, thanks guys and ladies. You guys have been of immense help on this thread and on the GRE thread. I try my best to help out to the best of my ability. I wish everyone success in their interviews.

Congratulations!!! Your achievement inspired many. Right from your GRE exams to your applications to those schools, really showed your doggedness.

I wish you success in your studies. But, how would VO feel if he learnt that you forgone UPenn admission with full fellowship for UVA? Perhaps he would have been more than EXCITED. Once again congratulations!

Scholartica and Time2smile success loading...

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by iekene(m): 11:18am On May 20, 2017
You got admitted to Penn State too ? I thought I was the only one have that deposit full tuition ish.. Even most American citizens can't afford to deposit full 46k USD for college fees..
damselnikky:

I actually applied to another university too Pennstate but they said i shld pay tuition of $46k before they can send my I20. So i had to go with the community college who sent the i20
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Kingbukaz: 11:31am On May 20, 2017
segunojo866:
not bad but with that score and a standard essay u can get a scholarship and your chances will be 95%
does it mean that a good IELTS can help one to get a scholarship?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 12:15pm On May 20, 2017
Kingbukaz:
yes o but u have to write standard essay
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 12:18pm On May 20, 2017
Kingbukaz:
mail me for more information. Also checkout schools like bridgespot university for scholarship
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by VeecThorr(m): 12:18pm On May 20, 2017
anodebeanthony:
I don't advise using WES for WAEC evaluation, rather use ECE to save time and money. With ECE you don't need to go to WAEC office to tell them to send your WAEC to ECE because ECE will ask you for WAEC scratch card for them to login to confirm your waec on there site and also evaluate it without you stepping foot in waec office.

Could you put me through the ECE evaluation steps? On their websit, it seems they still require original documents sent to them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Kingbukaz: 12:22pm On May 20, 2017
segunojo866:
mail me for more information. Also checkout schools like bridgespot university for scholarship
please, can you give me your email?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 20, 2017
They don't require any documents for waec. It's boldly written on the site, you can check and also chat with them on Facebook. They respond real quick.
VeecThorr:

Could you put me through the ECE evaluation steps? On their websit, it seems they still require original documents sent to them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by VeecThorr(m): 1:27pm On May 20, 2017
anodebeanthony:
They don't require any documents for waec. It's boldly written on the site, you can check and also chat with them on Facebook. They respond real quick.
OK, thanks man. One last question, what is their fee?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by atrapon(m): 1:38pm On May 20, 2017
Good day,
I appreciate everyone for the selfless service. Do USA embassy at the point of interview know if someone has been banned previously from OTHER countries, say Canada or Australia. A friend is in need
Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 1:58pm On May 20, 2017
atrapon:
Good day,
I appreciate everyone for the selfless service. Do USA embassy at the point of interview know if someone has been banned previously from OTHER countries, say Canada or Australia. A friend is in need
Thank you

Typically they do. The US has some agreement with those two countries that allows them to share immigration information...not sure to what degree. That's not to say that that you will definitely not get a visa because you were banned from one of them. Your eligibility for visa though will depend on a lot more such as details of ban and if the US views those as grounds for visa ineligibility under their law.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 20, 2017
Floyd45:
Good Morning to you all, i have been able to get some schools in Georgia still accepting application from International students for Fall 2017. Seeing that admission involves a length process, i'm thinking i should rather start preparing for Spring instead. One of the university still has its deadline for July 15. Does anyone honestly think i can meet up with this deadline? My major concerns are sending of transcript and the process of immunization proof. Here is a link if any one is interested http://www.collegesimply.com/guides/application-deadlines/georgia/
Forget it and prepare for next admision cycle. If you are aiming for funding too, fall 2018 is your best bet
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 20, 2017
@drhopeful ; Though coming late, congratulations. I always knew your interview would be a walk in the park.
Enjoy your studies. Once again, congratulations!

@texrem, I sent you a pm pls.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Joyflexxy(f): 3:07pm On May 20, 2017
drhopeful:
Visa approved this morning at Lagos Consulate by the purportedly mean Chinese-looking guy. After dishing out blue papers, it finally got to my turn.

VO: Good morning Ma'am
Me: Good morning
VO: What are you going to do in the US?
Me: I am going to study for a PhD in Materials Engineering at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville
VO: Cool. Pass me your documents
Me: [Obliged]
VO: [Critically peruses my I-20 while I stare at him like one mumu girl and then he exclaims...] Wow! You got a full package from UVA! UVA is a great school. I am so excited for you and I can imagine you can't wait to start! Wow! This is nice! Are you excited?
Me: Yes, I am. Thank you. [At this point, I was just too shocked because it was not kind of interview I have been hearing about on here. I expected those their standard questions, which I had ready answers for]
VO: When last were you in the US?
Me: February last year, on vacation
VO: I am still so excited for you!
VO: Where is your husband?
Me: He is outside
VO: [Types and stares at his screen...] Honestly, everything looks perfect..... [Hands me white paper]. Enjoy Your studies!

End of interview that did not feel like interview. After all my prepped-up answers sad wink grin

Anyways, thanks guys and ladies. You guys have been of immense help on this thread and on the GRE thread. I try my best to help out to the best of my ability. I wish everyone success in their interviews.
Wow! This is awesome.Congrats

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by atrapon(m): 3:35pm On May 20, 2017
biikeys:

Typically they do. The US has some agreement with those two countries that allows them to share immigration information...not sure to what degree. That's not to say that that you will definitely not get a visa because you were banned from one of them. Your eligibility for visa though will depend on a lot more such as details of ban and if the US views those as grounds for visa ineligibility under their law.
i appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:40pm On May 20, 2017
God abeg help us o. This visa stress fit make someone die young o. Somebody go pass all standard test and be accepted by a top college after 2yrs of preparation for f1 visa and still go for interview to hear 'sorry u re not qualified for visa at this time' nor be witchcraft this oyinbo people dey practice for we blacks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by djavu82(m): 4:41pm On May 20, 2017
Hey Walspring or any1..please help me with material for GRE.

If u have clue to how to pass it once with good score, also contact me
..my email address dejipekun@gmail.com..thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by djavu82(m): 4:51pm On May 20, 2017
I got my I-20 last week which included 3 dependents. I used my brother as my sponsor. But the school only offered my $1,200 scholarship saying i need to resume 1st to get G.A however, it can only be against the next fall.

This means i have to foot some un-prepared bills. Based on this, I want to defer the admission to enable me prepare funds against next fall (2018 fall).

Note: I have a family tourist visa (my self and my 3 dependents) which we got this year and have not used.

My Questions:
1. Should i proceed to get the F1/F2 visa now or wait until next year when am ready to go before applying for the F1/F2 visa since i already having a standing visa (b1/b2) which i cant still decide to use anytime.

2. What is the best advise u have for mi generally before i take any decision now.

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by PrinceDekunle: 4:57pm On May 20, 2017
djavu82:
I got my I-20 last week which included 3 dependents. I used my brother as my sponsor. But the school only offered my $1,200 scholarship saying i need to resume 1st to get G.A however, it can only be against the next fall.

This means i have to foot some un-prepared bills. Based on this, I want to defer the admission to enable me prepare funds against next fall (2018 fall).

Note: I have a family tourist visa (my self and my 3 dependents) which we got this year and have not used.

My Questions:
1. Should i proceed to get the F1/F2 visa now or wait until next year when am ready to go before applying for the F1/F2 visa since i already having a standing visa (b1/b2) which i cant still decide to use anytime.

2. What is the best advise u have for mi generally before i take any decision now.

Thanks

If you can't afford to foot the F1 bills for now, then the the best advise is to defer till you can afford it and while at that, you should go use your B1/B2 for more travel experience because the embassy might ask you why you didn't make use of the B1/B2 when you later go for F1

My 20 kobo

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by benugo(m): 5:06pm On May 20, 2017
Please, can a good heart recommended a good school (fee waive + G.A role) for PhD in Civil Engineering.

My B.Eng - 3.98, M.Eng- 4.49.

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (409)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.