Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (695011 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by phdmscbsc: 11:15pm On Jun 16, 2017
mjksho:
To follow the tradition of this great section on Nairaland, I will share my transcript with the hope that this might help someone someday.

Here we go, I arrived Walter Carrington at 5:50am as I have booked for the 6:30 window. With what I have heard from previous transcripts as per 'shunting' the queue, I just quickly used style to get to the front of the people gathered there since they have not lined up.

6:30 came and I was number 10 on the queue. No wahala. Prechecks done and I'm still number 10 on the line to see VO.

My time came and I was made to stand at Window 5, the second person to be interviewed by the very young and beautiful VO. She denied the first person after like 7 minutes. The Asian guy had denied 2 already and was drilling the 3rd guy. I was not even bothered. I kept looking at my Oxblood brogues and Pepper red trousers with one hand inside my suit jacket, forming lady killer. My time came eventually.
thanks, and congratulations
VO: Good morning
Me: (with the most sincere smile in the world as VO na fine white lady) Good morning, how are you doing?

VO: (She smiles back and my heart skipped a beat) Pass me your passport, Sevis receipt and I-20.
VO: What school are you going to?
Me: Tennessee Tech, Cookeville

VO: Where did you do your undergraduate
Me: OAU

VO: When?
Me: mentioned it

VO: What course did you study?
Me: Chemical Engineering

VO: What degree are you getting?
Me: Masters in Chemical engineering with a focus on renewable energy.

VO: Did you do any exams?
Yes: GRE and IELTS.

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: Five

VO: what are your scores?
Me: told her.

VO: What will this degree do for you?
Me: (Took a deep breath because I was ready to download ) First of all, a masters degree in Chemical engineering is a requirement to take up a lecturing job at OAU where I intend to lecture upon graduation. (VO nods in agreement). Secondly, a masters degree in this school will expose me to research on Microbial Fuel Cell technology which is far better than Biomass Gasification which is what is the case where I currently work. Fuel cells are cleaner, bla bla bla.

VO: Where do you work?
Me: mentioned it. A renewable energy firm.

VO: What are your duties?
Me: ( something wey I put for my DS-160 by myself) I monitor key indicators like BOD, greenhouse gases, etc. I write technical report on this and that. I also conduct EIA on New projects.

VO pauses to ask colleague something. I don't know if it's about my case. But me no care, I didn't stop looking at her any point so she go know say I dey her case. She comes back after a minute.

VO: who is sponsoring you?
Me: my dad

VO: what does he do?
Me: mentioned it.

VO: Do you have a relative in the US?
Me: No.

VO: I'll be... (I couldnt hear anything)...3 days.

She brought out white paper from a pile nearby. I just smiled at her and left.

My advice:

1. Don't rush to answer questions. Calm down. When you are calm, you will be able to articulate your thoughts. Even though I'm naturally articulate, I took short pauses before answering. The interview is not as bad as many have painted it to be.

2. All these USnews and google stuff don cast. The chinese guy drilled someone on this. I think saying you found your schools in some professional journal is way better.

3. If your school fee is very high and the school is not Ivy League level, be prepared to defend it especially if you have no scholarship. Chinese guy also drilled someone on it. The guy was clueless.

4. Don't pay attention to people being denied when you enter that room. Face your front. You know why you are there.

5. Don't cram your answers. You may forget. Rehearsing your answers is what helps.

6. Believe in something. I believe in God, prayer, and preparation. I fasted and prayed for grace because I don't want shocking questions. Believing in God helped me to stay confident even though I was prepared.

7. Refer somebody here. I probably wouldn't have known how best to answer some questions if I had not found this room. I have read over 40 transcripts here.
God bless all of you here.

Congratulations to you, I hope you will find my transcript useful for you. Your success is around the corner. Cheers.

thanks, and congratulations.
great ife!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by lasun01: 1:09am On Jun 17, 2017
Please i need URGENT ADVICE house. I will be having my interview next week in Lagos, i envisage a question from the interview that i think i will need expert advice on...My case is i took study leave from work(Asst Lecturer in Uni in Naija)after my marriage. The main reason was to join my husband in Oman and on the second thought see the possibility of Phd if possible. My study leave is still valid but i fear that if the consular sees my passport and sees the Oman residence status on my passport under my husband sponsorship, he/she might ask what have you been doing in Oman?i really dont know the best way to respond in other not to mess up the issue of ties to home country.HELP please

LagosismyHome:

Pregnancy is not a set back for f1..... if the embassy gives b1b2 for women to go have babies there then that not an issue

College do you mean community college... if yes then that likely the problem. She has a degree i assume because you state been a lecturer so why she going back to community college .....that will be a big No No and red flag because that not progression but going backwards . Although i cannot say for certain what was in the Vo mind
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Greatguy139: 3:30am On Jun 17, 2017
laurelxy:

ME too fear ooo, well thanks so much, ur comments on this thread has been very helpful

Pls have u gotten ur passport back from dhl pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Drocks: 3:51am On Jun 17, 2017
mjksho:
To follow the tradition of this great section on Nairaland, I will share my transcript with the hope that this might help someone someday.

Here we go, I arrived Walter Carrington at 5:50am as I have booked for the 6:30 window. With what I have heard from previous transcripts as per 'shunting' the queue, I just quickly used style to get to the front of the people gathered there since they have not lined up.

6:30 came and I was number 10 on the queue. No wahala. Prechecks done and I'm still number 10 on the line to see VO.

My time came and I was made to stand at Window 5, the second person to be interviewed by the very young and beautiful VO. She denied the first person after like 7 minutes. The Asian guy had denied 2 already and was drilling the 3rd guy. I was not even bothered. I kept looking at my Oxblood brogues and Pepper red trousers with one hand inside my suit jacket, forming lady killer. My time came eventually.

VO: Good morning
Me: (with the most sincere smile in the world as VO na fine white lady) Good morning, how are you doing?

VO: (She smiles back and my heart skipped a beat) Pass me your passport, Sevis receipt and I-20.
VO: What school are you going to?
Me: Tennessee Tech, Cookeville

VO: Where did you do your undergraduate
Me: OAU

VO: When?
Me: mentioned it

VO: What course did you study?
Me: Chemical Engineering

VO: What degree are you getting?
Me: Masters in Chemical engineering with a focus on renewable energy.

VO: Did you do any exams?
Yes: GRE and IELTS.

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: Five

VO: what are your scores?
Me: told her.

VO: What will this degree do for you?
Me: (Took a deep breath because I was ready to download ) First of all, a masters degree in Chemical engineering is a requirement to take up a lecturing job at OAU where I intend to lecture upon graduation. (VO nods in agreement). Secondly, a masters degree in this school will expose me to research on Microbial Fuel Cell technology which is far better than Biomass Gasification which is what is the case where I currently work. Fuel cells are cleaner, bla bla bla.

VO: Where do you work?
Me: mentioned it. A renewable energy firm.

VO: What are your duties?
Me: ( something wey I put for my DS-160 by myself) I monitor key indicators like BOD, greenhouse gases, etc. I write technical report on this and that. I also conduct EIA on New projects.

VO pauses to ask colleague something. I don't know if it's about my case. But me no care, I didn't stop looking at her any point so she go know say I dey her case. She comes back after a minute.

VO: who is sponsoring you?
Me: my dad

VO: what does he do?
Me: mentioned it.

VO: Do you have a relative in the US?
Me: No.

VO: I'll be... (I couldnt hear anything)...3 days.

She brought out white paper from a pile nearby. I just smiled at her and left.

My advice:

1. Don't rush to answer questions. Calm down. When you are calm, you will be able to articulate your thoughts. Even though I'm naturally articulate, I took short pauses before answering. The interview is not as bad as many have painted it to be.

2. All these USnews and google stuff don cast. The chinese guy drilled someone on this. I think saying you found your schools in some professional journal is way better.

3. If your school fee is very high and the school is not Ivy League level, be prepared to defend it especially if you have no scholarship. Chinese guy also drilled someone on it. The guy was clueless.

4. Don't pay attention to people being denied when you enter that room. Face your front. You know why you are there.

5. Don't cram your answers. You may forget. Rehearsing your answers is what helps.

6. Believe in something. I believe in God, prayer, and preparation. I fasted and prayed for grace because I don't want shocking questions. Believing in God helped me to stay confident even though I was prepared.

7. Refer somebody here. I probably wouldn't have known how best to answer some questions if I had not found this room. I have read over 40 transcripts here.
God bless all of you here.

Congratulations to you, I hope you will find my transcript useful for you. Your success is around the corner. Cheers.
congrats bro. Very articulate transcript!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Folsy(f): 7:39am On Jun 17, 2017
Hello y'll.. . Pls who knows the usual passport pick up time at Abuja after someone is granted the USA student visa.
I know the pick up location is DHL office at wuse 2, usually 2 working days after the interview but I don't know the time; whether it's morning or afternoon?
Pls reply ASAP!!
THANKS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fatezee(f): 7:42am On Jun 17, 2017
log1:

Rather than waiting endlessly for an answer that can easily be found by a simple online search, kindly desist from this bro.

I wonder why most ppl dont know the real value and use of google

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Johnolukolade(m): 7:47am On Jun 17, 2017
Good morning fellas. Does anybody here knows bout Virginia international University. How well do the VO grant visas to the school's applicant?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by mjksho(m): 8:22am On Jun 17, 2017
Drocks:
congrats bro. Very articulate transcript!

Thank you very much smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by mjksho(m): 8:23am On Jun 17, 2017
phdmscbsc:

thanks, and congratulations.
great ife!

Thanj you so much. Great!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Greatguy139: 8:30am On Jun 17, 2017
Who had his or her interview on 12 of June and has picked up passport pls from dhl in Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by zendmann: 8:36am On Jun 17, 2017
Folsy:
Hello y'll.. . Pls who knows the usual passport pick up time at Abuja after someone is granted the USA student visa.
I know the pick up location is DHL office at wuse 2, usually 2 working days after the interview but I don't know the time; whether it's morning or afternoon?
Pls reply ASAP!!
THANKS.
just go there anytime of the day. Also try not to wait for them to send you message for pick up because they might not send. I waited for their email or text for more than 10 days and had to just go there to check if it was there only to be told it has been available for pick up more than a week before I came.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by folmus: 8:52am On Jun 17, 2017
lasun01:
Please i need URGENT ADVICE house. I will be having my interview next week in Lagos, i envisage a question from the interview that i think i will need expert advice on...My case is i took study leave from work(Asst Lecturer in Uni in Naija)after my marriage. The main reason was to join my husband in Oman and on the second thought see the possibility of Phd if possible. My study leave is still valid but i fear that if the consular sees my passport and sees the Oman residence status on my passport under my husband sponsorship, he/she might ask what have you been doing in Oman?i really dont know the best way to respond in other not to mess up the issue of ties to home country.HELP please

Are you now the wife? You were once the husband. Why don't you give your real identity? Whether she joins you in Oman or not, she only needs to defend herself. If she had earlier joined you in Oman on Family Visa, she won't have been allowed to work. It's as simple as that. I joined my husband on family status as we are newly wedded; that can be an ideal answer. Abi na everything you want make she tell lies? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Folsy(f): 9:06am On Jun 17, 2017
zendmann:

just go there anytime of the day. Also try not to wait for them to send you message for pick up because they might not send. I waited for their email or text for more than 10 days and had to just go there to check if it was there only to be told it has been available for pick up more than a week before I came.

You're talking about the DHL office at Ademola Adetokunbo road Wuse 2 right?
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it before noon on d due date ( 2 working days after the visa is approved) so I can book an afternoon flight out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Joan011: 11:15am On Jun 17, 2017
Shoaze:

Thanks bro
You are welcome. (am a girl)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by abbeYhart(m): 11:46am On Jun 17, 2017
Congrats to all those who got their visa. Anybody coming to University of Texas at Tyler should please contact me. I will assist the person on how he or she can settle down quickly on arrival.

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by zendmann: 11:52am On Jun 17, 2017
Folsy:

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it before noon on d due date ( 2 working days after the visa is approved) so I can book an afternoon flight out.
yes ademola adetokunbo wuse II.
just get there in the morning on the due date or a day after... You won't spend more than 10 min there to get your passport...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ecoleco: 12:04pm On Jun 17, 2017
Johnolukolade:
Hello buddies, I wanna make an inquiry bout the SEVIS fee. Do I need to pay the fee before I can get my I-20?

No you don't. But SEVIS fee will be made before you go for visa interview. At least two business days before your visa appointment so that your payment can reflect on their system. For your I-20, keep talking to your university to know what is delaying it and what you should do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Johnolukolade(m): 12:22pm On Jun 17, 2017
Good morning fellas. Does anybody here knows bout Virginia international University. How well do the VO grant visas to the school's applicant? pls I need swift and candid answers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Johnolukolade(m): 12:22pm On Jun 17, 2017
ecoleco:

No you don't. But SEVIS fee will be made before you go for visa interview. At least two business days before your visa appointment so that your payment can reflect on their system. For your I-20, keep talking to your university to know what is delaying it and what you should do.

Thanks brov. I really do appreciate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
Johnolukolade:
Good morning fellas. Does anybody here knows bout Virginia international University. How well do the VO grant visas to the school's applicant? pls I need swift and candid answers.

Its a one chance school...... best to find a better school . There are loads of standard school out there .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by onicemus1(m): 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2017
Folsy:

Just go like after the second day ( like the 3rd day) so to be sure its already in wuse 2.. and you can go anytime as from 8am .. make sure you go along with a photocopy of your id ( passport or national I'd).. Because they'd request for it, I had a scanned copy on my phone so I was asked to print it out, only for the persons In charge of printing (a block away from dhl wuse2) to tell me it's #500 for printing fa?.. I had to trek a lil more till I found another cyber cafe that printed it for #50.. just print out your passport data page .. dassal

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by cmbagwu(m): 12:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
Top of the day guys. Please can anyone help with mock interview? Thanks in anticipation. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by esseycoy(m): 12:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
Shigoboy:
morning guys, your help is needed, i got a mail from the school my brother is applying for that TOEFL is waived for English speaking countries which is the case in Nigeria, meaning my brother wont be requested to submit TOEFL result, but i'm thinking of the interview here in Nigeria, hope he is not gonna have problem at the embassy cos he didnt write TOEFL, what is the advice on this?
which school is that please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 1:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
Pm me if you wanna pay your sevis fee.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 2:01pm On Jun 17, 2017
cecemat:

Hahahaha... for where, me just won dey low key for matters here for now
Lol. Nothing do you bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by folmus: 2:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Its a one chance school...... best to find a better school . There are loads of standard school out there .

If you have a standard school and you can't defend yourself, you will still get the visa right? grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Johnolukolade(m): 2:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
LagosismyHome:

What do you mean by it's a one chance school? Don't they give admission or they are sub standard?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
Johnolukolade:

What do you mean by it's a one chance school? Don't they give admission or they are sub standard?

Very low standard
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 3:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Madam d madam is a matter of cash.... that means my cash is coming cheesy

I just checked and did not see a PM needing a response back from you...although i did see from others ...kindly resend . Cheers
Lol. Shey the one wey don dey abi which one?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Timi1990(m): 3:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
Timi1990:
Anybody here interested in paying for application or any other fee should contact me on WhatsApp; I need naira today .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Labhii: 3:37pm On Jun 17, 2017
Hello, I sent you a pm but you're yet to respond. I need your help in preparing for my interview. Please let me know how I can contact you.

Thank you.
LagosismyHome:

Very low standard

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.