Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,611 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (694604 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 11:38pm On Feb 15, 2017
femi321:
Thank God you said debatable, thats means its not a fact but a claim/propositions/assertions.So you based your judgement on the fact that US have more foreign-born faculties? Okay. So that we don't derail this thread.lets end it here. BTW 11 classes? are you an undergraduate or Ph.d student?
a masters student, if there are more foreign-born getting employed through Academia that pushes the fact it's a haven for PhD students looking to be employed. I have gotten advice from most of the faculty members I have had the opportunity to interact with, the least of whom have 15 to 20 years in the industry before joining the academia, to find a job before thinking of PhD if I have HIGH hopes of working in the industry at some point. *11 classes taking compulsory classes in engineering so as to graduate as a geological engineering, first degree was basic geology.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Christian129(m): 1:00am On Feb 16, 2017
sirRiddy:
The offers are coming in.
K-State Computer Science offered an RA to divabiola this morning.
Great news! smiley smiley smiley
Amazingnews
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Christian129(m): 1:04am On Feb 16, 2017
Talliusceciro12:
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,
First of all I would like to congratulate you all for your excellent work here and I am really glad that this thread exist because perusing through previous posts has been an eye opener for me. I am quite in a complicated situation and I really need your thoughts and suggestions.
Am currently a final year student and in 2014 I applied for a tourist visa and I was denied. I filled my occupation then as a student in level 100.
Now I have been accepted to study a distinguished program in the US with a 70 percent scholarship. It is an undergraduate level program. So please what do you think of my situation. Do I have a chance? Wouldn't that sound desperate?
Thanks
What "distinguished program?" what school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Christian129(m): 1:08am On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
duke energy and shell?! bros I say it again, it's a debatable fact but you become UNATTRACTIVE the moment you decide to continue with PhD with a hope of getting a job in the industry. About 49% of faculty in US institution of higher learning are foreign-born(a 2001 study) , so you have more chances of working in an institution of higher learning than getting a job in the industry.

they work in Universities across the country, its the easiest way to get employed if you are a PhD student.

I have taken 11 classes since I got to the states only 3 are Americans
I couldn't agree more.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by MsNas(f): 1:28am On Feb 16, 2017
femi321:
Thank God you said debatable, thats means its not a fact but a claim/propositions/assertions.So you based your judgement on the fact that US have more foreign-born faculties? Okay. So that we don't derail this thread.lets end it here. BTW 11 classes? are you an undergraduate or Ph.d student?
Amanze15 is not lying. It's harder to get into a regular job with a PhD if you do not want to do research or teach. They will always give you the "You're over-qualified" story. It's easy to progress in your career with a PhD though, if you already have a job in hand and just seeking to advance. There are always exceptions though, but I know majors like Geology, Physics, Biology, Psychology and so on rarely hire PhD holders for their regular office jobs. I know some people who had PhD in Geology and are teaching in colleges now

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 1:42am On Feb 16, 2017
MsNas:

Amanze15 is not lying. It's harder to get into a regular job with a PhD if you do not want to do research or teach. They will always give you the "You're over-qualified" story. It's easy to progress in your career with a PhD though, if you already have a job in hand and just seeking to advance. There are always exceptions though, but I know majors like Geology, Physics, Biology, Psychology and so on rarely hire PhD holders for their regular office jobs. I know some people who had PhD in Geology and are teaching in colleges now
My advisor told me the same thing

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:57am On Feb 16, 2017
femi321:
I strongly disagree with this. so all the numerous Africans,indians and chineses doing P.hd in the US wont get job in the industry? I know alot of Ph.d guys that finished from my school and are working for Duke Energy, I even know a guy that finished with P.hd from Uni of Arkansas and he works with Shell. Its what you make of it and don't limit yourself, nothing is luck..Some people have worked hard and they deserve what they got..you might call it grace of God though

As you progress up academically it becomes much harder to enter the work place if you have little or no work experience. I think this is true for most of the sector ... from business to science.

Also in interviews Employers want to know what else you bring to the table apart from academic.... a lot of interview questions are based on show and tell how u did xx and if all your answers are based mainly on student scenario that very limiting. ...... so even entering the industry with a masters but no work experience is limiting how much more phd

This is not to say you will not see cases of people who have gotten breakthrough...yes there always be examples but the person will work twice as hard and hears much more no than yes

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 3:33am On Feb 16, 2017
LagosismyHome:

As you progress up academically it becomes much harder to enter the work place if you have little or no work experience. I think this is true for most of the sector ... from business to science.

Also in interviews Employers want to know what else you bring to the table apart from academic.... a lot of interview questions are based on show and tell how u did xx and if all your answers are based mainly on student scenario that very limiting. ...... so even entering the industry with a masters but no work experience is limiting how much more phd

This is not to say you will not see cases of people who have gotten breakthrough...yes there always be examples but the person will work twice as hard and hears much more no than yes

This is not a black and white thing. When it comes to Engineering at least, I've seen a piece of both sides.
There are a few factors that determine your job prospects...like your advisor himself who can link you up with the industry before you even graduate-and have you even go intern with them. Basically, you move in seamlessly that way. Closely tied to it is how industry-ready your research work is. Your school is another-some schools and faculty have good relationships with certain companies and that's it.

The other thing you need to understand is that most MS graduates don't even apply and get jobs that have a master's degree as a pre-requisite. So, having a PhD does not mean you have to apply for a job with that as a pre-req. You can apply for R & D related spots at companies or even research labs for a start, and then you work your way up.

Once you open up your options, you have more choices.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:25am On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
duke energy and shell?! bros I say it again, it's a debatable fact but you become UNATTRACTIVE the moment you decide to continue with PhD with a hope of getting a job in the industry. About 49% of faculty in US institution of higher learning are foreign-born(a 2001 study) , so you have more chances of working in an institution of higher learning than getting a job in the industry.

they work in Universities across the country, its the easiest way to get employed if you are a PhD student.

I have taken 11 classes since I got to the states only 3 are Americans

This is speculation at best. I have a phd and have always worked in industry - 6 years. All my colleagues are phds. Infact in my field, it is rare to find companies hiring anyone with anything less than a phd. The rare masters holder must have at least 5-7 years experience before he/she would even be considered at all. On the other hand, phds can apply right from school.

I think it all depends on a lot of factors. You say that 49% of faculty in the US are foreign born... that might simply be an artifact of the green card process. Its easier to get an H1B (you avoid the lottery) by working in a non-profit institution. If you're Indian or Chinese, your best bet after a phd is to stay back in school and apply for the EB1B category after 3-5 years rather than joining industry and spending 15 years on a green card line.

Many companies hire phds. I work for an oil company and at our research facility here in the Northeast... >80% of over 700 employees have a phd - most of them direct from phd programs (the vast majority are chemists, chemical engineers, petroleum engineers). The pharmaceutical industry is also a big source of phds.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:27am On Feb 16, 2017
biikeys:

This is not a black and white thing. When it comes to Engineering at least, I've seen a piece of both sides.
There are a few factors that determine your job prospects...like your advisor himself who can link you up with the industry before you even graduate-and have you even go intern with them. Basically, you move in seamlessly that way. Closely tied to it is how industry-ready your research work is. Your school is another-some schools and faculty have good relationships with certain companies and that's it.

The other thing you need to understand is that most MS graduates don't even apply and get jobs that have a master's degree as a pre-requisite. So, having a PhD does not mean you have to apply for a job with that as a pre-req. You can apply for R & D related spots at companies or even research labs for a start, and then you work your way up.

Everything you said... bang on.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:29am On Feb 16, 2017
LagosismyHome:

This is just not true. If you get an MBA from wharton for example... you immediately open up avenues to get better jobs with better money. Fact. The higher up the education chain you go, you better your prospects for working at major corporations. It all depends on where you set your sights. If you're simply seeking to work for any company to make money, then a bachelors is ok for you. If you want to move into corporate America, then a bachelors is no longer enough.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:39am On Feb 16, 2017
TWoods:

This is just not true. If you get an MBA from wharton for example... you immediately open up avenues to get better jobs with better money. Fact. The higher up the education chain you go, you better your prospects for working at major corporations. It all depends on where you set your sights. If you're simply seeking to work for any company to make money, then a bachelors is ok for you. If you want to move into corporate America, then a bachelors is no longer enough.

O no .... MBA from Wharton with no experience you will struggle. .... it all about the school , networks, campus recruiting yes but it's also all about the experience as well.Majority of Wharton and top MBA intake have work experience . Its almost a silent requirement..... Top MBA / Work E.. together its a gold mine but without experience and just MBA ...na na na the hustle is very real.

bachelors is never enough after some years and growth .. ..... sure i never said otherwise .... what i said is about continous academic without work experience and the easy / barrier of entry into the industry/ corporate america but acknowledging that regardless sucess stories do exist

You gave example about research facility....sure a phd within that environment is expected and most suitable so its really a good example of what to target if u have a phd .... but outside of "research teams" within the industry / corporate america . How many phd "without experience" are new intakes ?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:25am On Feb 16, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I might agree for some sectors but not for most of the sectors. And what works for someone might not work for another. There are lot of cases of people who have gotten breakthrough with Phd without experience that i know of.Who says one cant be doing Phd and go for internships during summer, it all boils down to how you develop yourself and how strategic you are.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:30am On Feb 16, 2017
MsNas:

It all depends on the sector you are talking about. I know guys with Engineering degree and they got jobs with phd. This might be true for social science courses though but not some STEM majors.America's back bone is research unlike in our country Nigeria where a Phd holder can only work in academics, and US education incoporates normal office job skills unlike Nigeria where all we do is read book and pass exams. Its even easier to get a green card with a Phd than with a masters, so everything has its own merit and demerit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 6:24am On Feb 16, 2017
LagosismyHome:

O no .... MBA from Wharton with no experience you will struggle. ....

Anybody who struggles with an MBA from Wharton has other problems... lack of experience is not one of them.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by MsNas(f): 6:28am On Feb 16, 2017
femi321:
It all depends on the sector you are talking about. I know guys with Engineering degree and they got jobs with phd. This might be true for social science courses though but not some STEM majors.America's back bone is research unlike in our country Nigeria where a Phd holder can only work in academics, and US education incoporates normal office job skills unlike Nigeria where all we do is read book and pass exams. Its even easier to get a green card with a Phd than with a masters, so everything has its own merit and demerit
Lol. Tell me how easy it is for a PhD holder to get a green card. I didn't say PhD holders don't get jobs, don't get me wrong. I only said recruiters like to give them the "You're to qualified" story. Talk to anybody that is in the industry and they will affirm. It's even hard getting in with aasters sef unless you're in disciplines that give much credence to masters degree like Geology.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:28am On Feb 16, 2017
TWoods:

Anybody who struggles with an MBA from Wharton has other problems... lack of experience is not one of them.
Lmao @ 'has other problems'....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 16, 2017
MsNas:

Lol. Tell me how easy it is for a PhD holder to get a green card. I didn't say PhD holders don't get jobs, don't get me wrong. I only said recruiters like to give them the "You're to qualified" story. Talk to anybody that is in the industry and they will affirm. It's even hard getting in with aasters sef unless you're in disciplines that give much credence to masters degree like Geology.
Thats geology ,to me geology is even streamline..without oil comapany one is as good as useless. Engineering is diverse, there are many options. masters is hot cake in Engineering i don't know about any other major. There are some jobs you cant even apply for with Bachelors. Have you heard of EB1 and Eb2?? Those are other routes a Phd holder can pass to green card. A masters degree holder cant and you can even apply for yourself as a Phd holder. Anywaz, what really matters is hard work and grace of God.cheers

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 6:36am On Feb 16, 2017
MsNas:

Far easier than most. If you're good, you can self petition in the EB1A category. If you're very productive (i.e. good quality papers in high impact factor journals with good number of citations), you can easily apply in the EB1B category. Both should not take more than a year. If you're just below those, you can petition in EB2-NIW... all three categories do not require the PERM stage.

You are far better positioned with a phd than anything else.

Frankly, if you're a very good phd, you should not be talking to a recruiter... companies should be talking directly to you. I never went through a recruiter... i applied direct and got offers right after my first interviews. Easy.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 6:44am On Feb 16, 2017
TWoods:

Far easier than most. If you're good, you can self petition in the EB1A category. If you're very productive (i.e. good quality papers in high impact factor journals with good number of citations), you can easily apply in the EB1B category. Both should not take more than a year. If you're just below those, you can petition in EB2-NIW... all three categories do not require the PERM stage.

Frankly, if you're a very good phd, you should not be talking to a recruiter... companies should be talking directly to you. I never went through a recruiter... i applied direct and got offers right after my first interviews. Easy.
God bless you. I never even knew this until 5months ago when a Nigerian Prof in my Dept was advising I and the other Nigerian in my dept about doing Phd, both of us want to just get masters and go get this money.He was like the number of companies that will file for people are decreasing each day.I know someone with Phd degree that was working for Areva for almost 3years and they never filed for him, that is frustration and depression at its peak. He never knew of the Eb category then, when he knew was when he left that life of frustration,he applied himself and got it in 2weeks, they didnt tell me this story, i met him physically..Information is power and the type of advice one gets matters alot in life. Everybody wants to get a job and enjoy life but we never think of the long term, all we think of is the short term gain

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 7:20am On Feb 16, 2017
you are a research "plug" cool you work at a research facility, probably 1% of the total graduands of post-graduate studies get that gig. PhD students stand better chances at a non-profit institution where these big corporations can bankroll tons of research work. it might be more pronounced in a particular industry, I know a professor who got a war chest from NASA, she just had her student locked up in a lab in the Rockies mountain for a year. P.h.D. is great if you looking to do research and academia at some point in your career. your profile would definitely get you tenure-ship at some university in the future, bros no lie you are considering it wink grin cool
TWoods:

This is speculation at best. I have a phd and have always worked in industry - 6 years. All my colleagues are phds. Infact in my field, it is rare to find companies hiring anyone with anything less than a phd. The rare masters holder must have at least 5-7 years experience before he/she would even be considered at all. On the other hand, phds can apply right from school.

I think it all depends on a lot of factors. You say that 49% of faculty in the US are foreign born... that might simply be an artifact of the green card process. Its easier to get an H1B (you avoid the lottery) by working in a non-profit institution. If you're Indian or Chinese, your best bet after a phd is to stay back in school and apply for the EB1B category after 3-5 years rather than joining industry and spending 15 years on a green card line.

Many companies hire phds. I work for an oil company and at our research facility here in the Northeast... >80% of over 700 employees have a phd - most of them direct from phd programs (the vast majority are chemists, chemical engineers, petroleum engineers). The pharmaceutical industry is also a big source of phds.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 7:23am On Feb 16, 2017
definitely, it's not just 1's and 2's you must have put in a lot of efforts.
TWoods:

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 7:26am On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
you are a research "plug" cool you work at a research facility, probably 1% of the total graduands of post-graduate studies get that gig. PhD students stand better chances at a non-profit institution where these big corporations can bankroll tons of research work. it might be more pronounced in a particular industry, I know a professor who got a war chest from NASA, she just had her student locked up in a lab in the Rockies mountain for a year. P.h.D. is great if you looking to do research and academia at some point in your career. your profile would definitely get you tenure-ship at some university in the future, bros no lie you are considering it wink grin cool

The problem with posting here is that many people get the chance to say whatever they want... fact free.

1. I'm not a research plug. Research accounts for less than 30% of what i do - i simply enjoy research. I can decide to leave and become a marketing manager next week.

2. I work for the biggest oil company in the world... hardly a not-for-profit "research facility". Majority of its senior managers are phd chemical engineers, geologists and petroleum engineers.

3. I don't work off "research funding". Neither do anyone i know at our "research facility".

4. Finally, the idea that "P.h.D. is great if you looking to do research and academia at some point in your career" is laughably wrong. My colleagues and i would turn down going back to Academia even if you paid us $1m and full tenureship.

Its best to ask questions if you have no clue than simply expose yourself for knowing very little.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 7:31am On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
definitely, it's not just 1's and 2's you must have put in a lot of efforts.

Nothing is worth doing if you do not intend to invest a lot of effort into it.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 7:35am On Feb 16, 2017
real talk, just too much unlucky stories from some OG's lately who I know have been involved in some world class research work, who are frustrated by the current statuesque.
biikeys:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 7:52am On Feb 16, 2017
I beg your pardon for the uncoordinated argument, my point with femi321 is that as a P.h.D. student in the United States you have better chances of getting employed in Academia than looking out for a job with a scanty/sketchy resume. so you work for Sinopec cheesy cheesy grin na joke o
TWoods:

The problem with posting here is that many people get the chance to say whatever they want... fact free.

1. I'm not a research plug. Research accounts for less than 30% of what i do - i simply enjoy research. I can decide to leave and become a marketing manager next week.

2. I work for the biggest oil company in the world... hardly a not-for-profit "research facility". Majority of its senior managers are phd chemical engineers, geologists and petroleum engineers.

3. I don't work off "research funding". Neither do anyone i know at our "research facility".

4. Finally, the idea that "P.h.D. is great if you looking to do research and academia at some point in your career" is laughably wrong. My colleagues and i would turn down going back to Academia even if you paid us $1m and full tenureship.

Its best to ask questions if you have no clue than simply expose yourself for knowing very little.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 7:53am On Feb 16, 2017
TWoods:

Nothing is worth doing if you do not intend to invest a lot of effort into it.
thanks a lot, let's build a rapport face to face sir cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
I beg your pardon for the uncoordinated argument, my point with femi321 is that as a P.h.D. student in the United States you have better chances of getting employed in Academia than looking out for a job with a scanty/sketchy resume. so you work for Sinopec cheesy cheesy grin na joke o
I might agree with ''you have better chances in academia'' partially but what i will never agree with is ''become UNATTRACTIVE the moment you decide to continue with PhD''. NEVER!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 8:14am On Feb 16, 2017
femi321:
I might agree with ''you have better chances in academia'' partially but what i will never agree with is ''become UNATTRACTIVE the moment you decide to continue with PhD''. NEVER!
we found a common ground, even ugly girls become side chicks lol, Femi o daa aro grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
we found a common ground, even ugly girls become side chicks lol, Femi o daa aro grin cheesy
Lol safe Bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 16, 2017
1st decision, admit
Southern Illinois university Carbondale
Ms Electrical engineering.
no funding yet
3 more to go.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.