Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (694589 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ridsan4real(m): 9:32am On Feb 16, 2017
TWoods:

Far easier than most. If you're good, you can self petition in the EB1A category. If you're very productive (i.e. good quality papers in high impact factor journals with good number of citations), you can easily apply in the EB1B category. Both should not take more than a year. If you're just below those, you can petition in EB2-NIW... all three categories do not require the PERM stage.

You are far better positioned with a phd than anything else.

Frankly, if you're a very good phd, you should not be talking to a recruiter... companies should be talking directly to you. I never went through a recruiter... i applied direct and got offers right after my first interviews. Easy.
God bless u TWoods for this enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by revenant: 10:07am On Feb 16, 2017
For those of you that have gone through the WES Evaluation process, what exactly was thier means for sending document for verification to your school. Is it through e-mail or postal address.I got a mail from WES on the 14th stating that photocopies of my documents have been sent to my school for verification, I got to my school registrar office they were asking me what was the mode in which WES sent the document.
Secondly what channel did you guys used in communicating with WES. I have been using thier e-mail us channel through their help section.Your responses will be highly appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fortissimo502: 1:04pm On Feb 16, 2017
See mature discourse. It pleases me when people can respectfully disagree.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 1:36pm On Feb 16, 2017
Fortissimo502:
See mature discourse. It pleases me when people can respectfully disagree.
I'm telling you. I just dey happy since, especially concerning baba himself.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by mrsmith11(m): 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2017
revenant:
For those of you that have gone through the WES Evaluation process, what exactly was thier means for sending document for verification to your school. Is it through e-mail or postal address.I got a mail from WES on the 14th stating that photocopies of my documents have been sent to my school for verification, I got to my school registrar office they were asking me what was the mode in which WES sent the document.
Secondly what channel did you guys used in communicating with WES. I have been using thier e-mail us channel through their help section.Your responses will be highly appreciated.

The school E-mail provided on the transcript request form.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by iCool(m): 2:43pm On Feb 16, 2017
Hushee:

Abeg who be baba?? grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Christian129(m): 3:14pm On Feb 16, 2017
yesterday's discourse was very lit and enlightening. Thumbs up Femi and Amanze

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by revenant: 3:34pm On Feb 16, 2017
mrsmith11:

The school E-mail provided on the transcript request form.

Thank you man, its been done went back there today.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:17pm On Feb 16, 2017
ridsan4real:

God bless u TWoods for this enlightenment.

No problem. Anytime.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:19pm On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
thanks a lot, let's build a rapport face to face sir cool

I live in the northeast. We should catch up sometime if you're in the area.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2017
amanze15:
I beg your pardon for the uncoordinated argument, my point with femi321 is that as a P.h.D. student in the United States you have better chances of getting employed in Academia than looking out for a job with a scanty/sketchy resume. so you work for Sinopec cheesy cheesy grin na joke o

Lol Sinopec ke? My view is it depends, your resume is sketchy only if you choose to let it be. As à phd, you should have at least 2-3 published first author research papers, another 3-5 co author papers, have attended (and presented) at professional conferences. Apply for travel grants, poster awards etc. That's a fairly strong resume that should give you leverage for an industry position. Don't just sit in the lab all day.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Chapecoense(m): 4:27pm On Feb 16, 2017
Please, does having some form of scholarship(not full) increases one's chances at the embassy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Okusi(m): 6:02pm On Feb 16, 2017
Hushee:

with baba's replies from day 1, i know he's one oga @ the top. Even though I'm nowhere near them right now, they've made me feel its easy to reach the top when you take the right steps and not the SHORT CUTS! God bless you guys @lagosismyhome, Femi321, Amanze15, Twoods, MsNas and every other gurus.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2017
fredoricko:
1st decision, admit
Southern Illinois university Carbondale
Ms Electrical engineering.
no funding yet
3 more to go.
electrical engineering/ control systems at Wichita state university is very good, you can look it up

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:03pm On Feb 16, 2017
Okusi:

with baba's replies from day 1, i know he's one oga @ the top. Even though I'm nowhere near them right now, they've made me feel its easy to reach the top when you take the right steps and not the SHORT CUTS! God bless you guys @lagosismyhome, Femi321, Amanze15, Twoods, MsNas and every other gurus.

Amen amen...remember us when you get to the top ooo.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OjaP: 8:07pm On Feb 16, 2017
Ph.D. talks:

In the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry; technical professionals do not need a PhD unless you want to work in R&grin. Most engineers - whether reservoir, drilling, production, facilities etc. only need a bachelors to get a job. At most, they get a masters in petroleum engineering or other related fields. But many of these engineers usually get an MBA if they decide to get a masters. For geologists with a Ph.D., you will be hired and posted to the exploration department if you don't want to do research. In the industry, Ph.D. holders are seen as too analytical and scientific, they turn everything into research which is not good for the oil business which cares about production, maximizing profits, time bound and operating in safe environment. Although Ph.D. holders are paid more than their masters counterpart but they are the first to be laid-off the moment the price of oil and gas drops as we are currently experiencing. In all of these, experience counts a lot.

Brilliant contributions folks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by virginice: 8:17pm On Feb 16, 2017
sometimes it does. If you have 75 %, I am pretty sure it will, even 50 % does. But basically, convincing the V.O. that you are who you are, and that you can be independent if you have funding or not is the main thing.

Goodluck!

Chapecoense:
Please, does having some form of scholarship(not full) increases one's chances at the embassy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Teedawg: 8:40pm On Feb 16, 2017
Chapecoense:
one may never know when you're there you don't know what may or may not help you some people do have scholarships but still don't get approved some don't but get approved good luck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 11:08pm On Feb 16, 2017
Chapecoense:

It's not everything but it does enhance your chances. Get it if you can. At least you take one possible question (funding) off the table at your visa interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 11:10pm On Feb 16, 2017
Okusi:

My brother, there is no secret to success other than hard work, honesty, managing your time well, being diligent at your duty and of course... prayer.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 11:13pm On Feb 16, 2017
OjaP:
Ph.D. talks:

Although Ph.D. holders are paid more than their masters counterpart but they are the first to be laid-off the moment the price of oil and gas drops as we are currently experiencing. In all of these, experience counts a lot.

In my experience, it's been the other way round. Yes lots of bachelors degree engineers were laid off with the downturn in oil prices but the rest of us are doing just fine, we get raises, fly business class around the world...

Here is my point - do whatever it takes to put yourself in a position to be the best you can be. If that means getting only a bachelors, that's fine too. All destinies are not the same. When all is said and done and it's time to return to your ancestors, let it not be said that you did not achieve all you were born to achieve.

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by seeker88(m): 11:26pm On Feb 16, 2017
@Twoods, boss! you are making so much sense since after your ban grin I am really enjoying your contributions and learning a lot from them. Welldone sir!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 16, 2017
In the past 24 hours, I have learned so much from this thread. Kudos to you all. smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Chapecoense(m): 12:33am On Feb 17, 2017
Virginice, Teedawg and TWoods thanks alot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by jyemsta(m): 12:43am On Feb 17, 2017
teepee4Him:
Greetings house.

I have few naira(s) and I'm in need of dollars - 'about 200 - 250' (at a good and negotiable rate). Anyone interested can kindly PM me.

Thanks.
Pm texrem

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 12:51am On Feb 17, 2017
iCool:

Abeg who be baba?? grin
You know na. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Walspring: 1:35am On Feb 17, 2017
strictlynaija:

Thanks bro

Let's give the thanks to God

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Walspring: 1:40am On Feb 17, 2017
amanze15:
we found a common ground, even ugly girls become side chicks lol, Femi o daa aro grin cheesy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Walspring: 1:46am On Feb 17, 2017
OjaP:
Ph.D. talks:

In the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry; technical professionals do not need a PhD unless you want to work in R&grin. Most engineers - whether reservoir, drilling, production, facilities etc. only need a bachelors to get a job. At most, they get a masters in petroleum engineering or other related fields. But many of these engineers usually get an MBA if they decide to get a masters. For geologists with a Ph.D., you will be hired and posted to the exploration department if you don't want to do research. In the industry, Ph.D. holders are seen as too analytical and scientific, they turn everything into research which is not good for the oil business which cares about production, maximizing profits, time bound and operating in safe environment. Although Ph.D. holders are paid more than their masters counterpart but they are the first to be laid-off the moment the price of oil and gas drops as we are currently experiencing. In all of these, experience counts a lot.

Its been a long time prof and i was expecting to see your post on this..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OjaP: 1:52am On Feb 17, 2017
TWoods:

In my experience, it's been the other way round. Yes lots of bachelors degree engineers were laid off with the downturn in oil prices but the rest of us are doing just fine, we get raises, fly business class around the world...

Here is my point - do whatever it takes to put yourself in a position to be the best you can be. If that means getting only a bachelors, that's fine too. All destinies are not the same. When all is said and done and it's time to return to your ancestors, let it not be said that you did not achieve all you were born to achieve.

You are right. I guess it also depends on a company policy and many other factors. In 5 years; I have survived two acquisitions and 3 layoffs. Like you said, it all depends on positioning yourself well.

Are you an Engr. ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OjaP: 1:53am On Feb 17, 2017
Walspring:

Its been a long time prof and i was expecting to see your post on this..

I have been coming around whenever I get a chance. We have been operating lean lately, so work load has increased + I have to work on school. Its been crazy. How have you been?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Laird(m): 1:55am On Feb 17, 2017
T.Woods , OjaP, Amanze15 well spoken, well said. Got enough gems in this information You posted( I have been researching online and asking questions for over a year) so this Your posts highlight and affirm some information that may be specific to my strategy plan situation. Thank You

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.