Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,910 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model (6657 Views)

Atiku – ‘little Girls Who Want To Be Governor Now Have A Role Model’ / Tinubu Is My Role Model –kashamu / Jonathan Confesses:ibb Is My Father (role Model)-like Father Like Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2009
aisha2:

She was his daugther in law, she lost her husband Alh. Abdularaman Shagari in that Belview air crash, she just had a baby and her husband was going to see his new baby when he entered the ill fated belview plane

The loss is sad but she must be one strong individual to carry on helping the needy, I can see why you look up to her.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2009
Eziachi:

You can easily work it out. I was 18 when the war broke out. After the war, I was one of the fortunate few Biafran kids the red cross/Carita ferried to America and Britain to preserve what was remain. Seven years later I was a qualified othorpaedic surgeon in the U.K till today, married with a son who is also now a surgeon and an adopted daughter from Ethiopia, working as a news producer with Al Jazeera. I worked with the BBC for years and currently back into medicine as a consultant at the King's College Hospital London. .

Its like the saying goes 'you can't keep a good man down'. grin grin grin grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Eziachi: 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2009
bjmighty:

WOW!! shocked shocked shocked shocked If there is any God/god at all, he/she/it must really have been sooooo very good to you, am very happy for you. It shall be permanent. Well, you just inspired me someway!!!

I think you can become whatever you wish to become if you're in the right environment. I feel sorry for many young Nigerians, who have the brain but are led down big time by a clique of political eilite.
When the Red Cross society and Caritas took many of us abroad, we were very determined.
And among some among us I can remember are people like Chris Akabuisi who is from Mbaise in Imo state, who went on to win Olympic gold for Great Britain in 1984 olympics.

Patti Obigwe now called Patti Boulaye also from Mbaise, she later became the first black super model before the likes of Noami Campbell. Patti was also a successful recording artist/Actress in Britain. She was the "joy girl" in the joy soap advert in the 70s/80s if you're old to remember. She is a stuanch member of the British Tory party.

Then you have Philip Emeagwali, who ended up in American and later become one of the world finest engineer and computer scientist/geologist who was one of two winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, a prize from the IEEE, for his use of the Connection Machine supercomputer – a machine featuring over 65,000 parallel processors – to help analyze petroleum fields.

Just like me, Philip fought for Biafra also during the war and was even younger than me, he was just 14 years old. Still a good friend till today.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by illusion2: 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2009
Jarus:

Never even knew Fola Adeola was a Muslim until recently.
Just a co-incidence!!!!
There definitely are. Plenty. I'm sure Wale Tinubu is not successful because of his religion, neither are SLS and FA. So please leave religion out of it.
I'm a long time defender and admirer of Mike Adenuga, a Christian.

No probs bro. . . just pulling your legs  wink

aisha2:

Am not a moslem and neither are they all. Nuhu is a Christain.
The 'moslem' observation was for Jarus not you. I visited the website & i really,really duff my hat for Nuhu (his religious beliefs are actually not relevant).
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 01, 2009
also visited Nuhu's giplc website, found his activities commendable
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by mbulela: 4:20am On Dec 02, 2009
Jarus, you don come again.
forget all those FT articles, i read as much of them as you (if not even more), yet i take their writings on Nigerian business leaders with a pinch of salt.thay are not on the ground and do not know what is happening here.additionally, they are not willing to put in the necessary effort in investigating the persons in full like they will do with western business leaders. i have articles by reputable publications like the Mckinsey Quarterly where someone like cecelia ibru were painted as female role models in the Nigerian business space and the impression was given that she was banking wonder woman,when it was clear to any idiot that she was just running a hit and run bank built on fraud and deception.So articles like the FT one you quoted are neither here nor there. is it not the same FT whose sister publication called the Banker was dishing out awards after awards to this cowboy bankers?how are they different rom Nduka Obiagbena in that regard?
However, i do not wish to discredit the success of Wale Tinubu, my point is that it is overtly simplistic to just attribute his success to little savings probably from savings, family and friends is simply put, fictional at best.Nigerians are quick to believe that business leaders are cutting corners and basically briefcase businessmen fronting for the rapists in power because over and again, it has been proven to be true.
Wale Tinubu might not be in that class but the picture you paint is not believable by me.afterall, na naija we dey!!!
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by mbulela: 4:23am On Dec 02, 2009
Jarus:

Never even knew Fola Adeola was a Muslim until recently.
Just a co-incidence!!!!
There definitely are. Plenty. I'm sure Wale Tinubu is not successful because of his religion, neither are SLS and FA. So please leave religion out of it.
I'm a long time defender and admirer of Mike Adenuga, a Christian.

in Nigeria, anyone that is not a muslim, is automatically a Christian.
i find it amusing.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by mbulela: 6:44am On Dec 02, 2009
i have been thinking hard about adding a female to the list.
i have finally arrived at a choice;

Mrs Ayo Obe

Intelligent, professional, simple and cultured.
Committed to a cause, strong willed and admirable.
A good example of a Nigerian woman.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by rasputinn(m): 7:42am On Dec 02, 2009
NONE
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 02, 2009
mbulela:

in Nigeria, anyone that is not a muslim, is automatically a Christian.
i find it amusing.
Definitely no, even though that is the presumption for many people.
Mike Adenuga is practising Christian.

We have people like Wole Soyinka and co that dont associate with any religion.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 02, 2009
mbulela:

Jarus, you don come again.
forget all those FT articles, i read as much of them as you (if not even more), yet i take their writings on Nigerian business leaders with a pinch of salt.thay are not on the ground and do not know what is happening here.additionally, they are not willing to put in the necessary effort in investigating the persons in full like they will do with western business leaders. i have articles by reputable publications like the Mckinsey Quarterly where someone like cecelia ibru were painted as female role models in the Nigerian business space and the impression was given that she was banking wonder woman,when it was clear to any idiot that she was just running a hit and run bank built on fraud and deception.So articles like the FT one you quoted are neither here nor there. is it not the same FT whose sister publication called the Banker was dishing out awards after awards to this cowboy bankers?how are they different rom Nduka Obiagbena in that regard?
However, i do not wish to discredit the success of Wale Tinubu, my point is that it is overtly simplistic to just attribute his success to little savings probably from savings, family and friends is simply put, fictional at best.Nigerians are quick to believe that business leaders are cutting corners and basically briefcase businessmen fronting for the rapists in power because over and again, it has been proven to be true.
Wale Tinubu might not be in that class but the picture you paint is not believable by me.afterall, na naija we dey!!!
No problems, my bros.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 02, 2009
transformR:

The loss is sad but she must be one strong individual to carry on helping the needy, I can see why you look up to her.

Yes she is very Strong. She is not only a wonderful Social worker but the best Mom to her kids and people under her. When i started working in this field, I would be in her house sometimes till 11pm, and she will take her time to teach me all the ropes and put me through project writing, reporting presentation and paper presentation. There is always extra food in her house. Sometimes I would spend the night but when it was late she will always make her driver or one of her sons take me home. Believe it or not, I never knew her from Adam, Someone just asked me to meet her because at that time i was a working in a Bank and wanted to volunteer but under her influence and Guidance I quit my job and went into full time social Work. I have never looked back or regretted that decision for one day. This year I was given a National Award for a project she helped me write and implement. Am sure she will be so happy and proud
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by bilymuse: 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2009
yes, I II give it to that bald headed coward, run away general Ojukwu

Only in Nigeria: you can betray your people on the battlefield, run away to save your pathetic misery life and still come back to claim leadership.
Chai biafra people don kolo
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by mbulela: 1:45pm On Dec 02, 2009
Jarus:

Definitely no, even though that is the presumption for many people.
Mike Adenuga is practising Christian.

We have people like Wole Soyinka and co that dont associate with any religion.

any proof?
have you ever heard him profess the faith?
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2009
mbulela:

any proof?
have you ever heard him profess the faith?
It would be most surprising to learn otherwise o. Hope I'm also not wrongly presuming as I accuse many Nigerians of.

The slightest idea I have is that, he buried his mother, Oyin, in an elaborate Christian way.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by illusion2: 5:27pm On Dec 11, 2009
Jarus:

It would be most surprising to learn otherwise o. Hope I'm also not wrongly presuming as I accuse many Nigerians of.

The slightest idea I have is that, he buried his mother, Oyin, in an elaborate Christian way.
With emphasis on elaborate undecided. . . .as against the not so elaborate Islaimc way. . . . . . grin grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 12, 2009
@illusion2,
Na wa 4 u o. What has an innocent usé of word got to do wt religion comparison? Did I say there cannot be eleborate islamic way? Folawiyo's burial. Okoya's mother's burial etc. Never had religion comparison when i posted dat comment. U need to grow bigger than all dat, dude.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by illusion2: 7:34pm On Dec 12, 2009
Jarus:

@illusion2,
Na wa 4 u o. What has an innocent usé of word got to do wt religion comparison? Did I say there cannot be eleborate islamic way? Folawiyo's burial. Okoya's mother's burial etc. Never had religion comparison when i posted dat comment. U need to grow bigger than all dat, dude.
grin grin you should be proud of your convictions my friend  wink
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by obiem(m): 9:41pm On Dec 12, 2009
Eziachi:

Then you have Philip Emeagwali, who ended up in American and later become one of the world finest engineer and computer scientist/geologist who was one of two winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, a prize from the IEEE, for his use of the Connection Machine supercomputer – a machine featuring over 65,000 parallel processors – to help analyze petroleum fields.

Just like me, Philip fought for Biafra also during the war and was even younger than me, he was just 14 years old. Still a good friend till today.

Phillip Chukwurah Emeagwali, sheer genius and world renowed computer scientist

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie @ only 31 she has carved a niche for herself in the world of literature, winning several renowed awards and of course in line for a Nobel prize in the future.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 13, 2009
illusion2:

grin grin you should be proud of your convictions my friend  wink
I am very, very proud of it and openly make people know I'm a Muslim, anywhere!!!!
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by AndreUweh(m): 10:45pm On Dec 13, 2009
The Asagba of Ahaba, Obi (prof) Chike Edozien. For his relentless effort toward Igbo unity. For his unflinching support to Ohanaeze ndi Igbo.
He has been involved in so many peace resolutions in Igboland.
Helped broker a deal on the keenly contested post of Ohanaeze secretary-general this March.
Helped restore peace between Achuzia and Irukwu, the former Ohanaeze sec-gen and pre-gen.
He has been canvassing for additional states to Ndigbo. Also, He has been clamouring for Ndigbo in Rivers and Delta states to unite with their kins in the south east.
May you live long, Obi C. Edozien.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Owerri Youths Brought Down The Zuma Statue In Owerri / 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) / Adulterated Petrol: No Sanctions For NNPC, Importers, Say Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.