Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Abel's Journal 3 ( The Call) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Abel's Journal 3 ( The Call) (516 Views)

Love Is A Game By Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abel's Journal 3 ( The Call) by jbgeorge: 12:20am On Jan 25, 2017
The call......

Now I am back home,a cold shower,had helped calm my nerves and a bowl of hot pap and bean cake had quieted my hunger pangs. Looking at my wall clock hung right above me, as I laid on my bed,I realized it was already a quarter to ten pm.

Picking up my phone,I checked for some missed calls from the one person I wanted to talk to most in the world right now. None from her nor anymore. Doing a quick calculation,I realized six hours had gone by since I called her and hung up on her. Really it pained me she hadn't returned the call,at least courtesy demanded that she did so......

I need to speak with her,really I do. I know the last time we spoke,she said words that were unforgettable but forgiven her I had,after all,his financial status had changed. Now,he could boast of money in his account,good clothes and shoes in his wardrobe, life had really changed and maybe at this point it wouldn't be a bad idea calling her to tell her what he has been up to.
Picking up my phone to dial Oluchi's number,my thoughts drifted to my mother,to the day I had returned home after Oluchi had broken up with me....
"Abel what happened to you? Why the long face?" She had asked immediately I stepped into the living room. None of us could ever hide our feelings from our mum,she was always very observant,it only took her seconds to know if we were troubled,just by one look at us.
"Oluchi broke up with me mum" I said as tears rolled down my cheeks,slowly I made my way to the plastic chair by the window.
'Oluchi broke up with you? Why? Did you two have a fight?" She asked standing akimbo
"Nothing of such mum" This time,she moved towards me and placed her hand on my head,lifting my gaze to meet hers.
"What happened my darling?"
"She stopped believing in me,she told me to my face I have no future"
"Oluchi said that to you?" My mum had asked,not hiding her astonishment.
" Yes mum,can you imagine that? Just because I have not being fortunate enough to get a job yet"
"Who does she think she is? God? Is your future in her hands? How dare she utter such nonsense?" My mum asked, I felt her anger blaze so much that my own skin boiled.
"Oluchi humiliated me mum,she discarded me like used tissue paper" I said as I rested my head on her bosom,crying like a baby.
"Abel my love,a girl who says such to you is not worth your tears,your future is bright,so bright that I will need a sun shade,its not how far but how well. God will give you the right woman when it's time,I can assure you of that my child" she said consolingly as she rocked me in her embrace." Its okay to cry dear but not after today,allow time to heal your wound, it was never meant to be"
"She means so much to me mum,so much"
"I know dear but its over now, in fact I suggest you leave town for a while to cool off,it will do you a lot of good,its not worth it talking about Oluchi. Henceforth, I forbid the mention of her name in this house"
"Mum,can't you help me talk to her?"
"God forbid! Does she have any regard for me? This is a girl who visited this house severally,many were the times she called me on phone just to say hello,I even built a cordial relationship with her mum,then all of a sudden she breaks my son's heart without coming to see me to discuss with me...no way Abel I won't call her,I don't want such a girl for a daughter in law,someone who is dependent on her own decisions,what she says is final, no Abel I won't call her" At that point I knew there was nothing I could possibly do,to change my mum's mind but I tried.
"Just a call mum please,do it for me,maybe she actually did...."
"You dare not make excuses for her Abel",my mum interrupted. "Even if I have a million naira worth of credit in my phone,I am not calling her. Get your things ready,on Monday you are leaving for Port Harcourt, you are spending one month with Emeka" she had said authoritatively.
"But I can't just go to PH mum,I need to look for a job"
"Put that on hold for now,you have survived all these months without a job another month of joblessness would not kill you,call Emeka and tell him you will be coming over on Monday and that's final"
I called Emeka and the following Monday I found myself with Emeka and one year later I found myself in one of the biggest accounting firms in Lagos.

The sound of a car horn brings me back to the present. Looking at the wall clock, "ten pm". I say out loud to my own hearing. I need to speak with this girl,the force behind my calling her is stronger than me. I pick up my phone,I went to my call log,attempting to dial her number,my thoughts drifted again,this time to Oluchi.

It was our first year in the University of Abuja and actually our first day attending lectures. I had been talking to a friend I had made during our registration when she walked in,beautifully dressed and looking so beautiful.
"Guy you never see woman before?" My friend had asked as he laughed
"She's beautiful Steve,can't you see?" I told him as my eyes followed her all the way to her chair.
"She's Oluchi Akpan" He told me.
"You must be kidding me,what kind of combination is that? Oluchi Akpan ? I asked not controlling my laughter at the same time stealing a glance at her as she flipped through a text book.
" I laughed too the first time I heard it bro but seriously that's her name"
" Meaning you do know her?"
"She is my sister's room mate,I met her when I visited my sister at her hostel,that was the very day she moved in"
"She is very beautiful,I will love to get to know her better"
"Need an advice? Stay clear off girls if you want to concentrate on why you are here"
"Thanks for the advice bro" I had told him,patting his back,at that moment Professor Adamu walked into the class thus ending our discussion.

From that moment,my thoughts never left Oluchi and I kept looking for an avenue to get to meet her. She appeared to be shy and so reserved. After spending one week in school,I was yet to see her around any friends,male or female. She was always on her own. There was just something about her that ignited the passion in me,I was only twenty years old at that time, I had my share of female friends right from my secondary school days but Oluchi was different, whenever I saw her,I saw forever with her. Not a day passed in the week that went by that she didn't walk through my mind,so much that my brain hurt.

The perfect opportunity to speak to her eventually came. It had been in the cafeteria, I noticed her sitting alone immediately I got in,a bottle of malt on the table,she was engrossed in the book she was reading. I saw my opportunity and I grabbed it.
"Hello Oluchi Akpan" I said with a smile as I approached her.
"How did you know my name?" She asked as she looked up at me,surprise written all over her beautiful face.
"One's name can't be hidden in the school environment you know" I told her as I sat on the chair opposite her.
"I am shocked,we have never met so wondering how you got to know my name"
"Wow,so you haven't seen this guy's face before?" She stared long and hard at me,avoiding eye contact.
"I am sorry I have not,I am a fresh man"
"And so I am and we happen to be course mates,anyway I wouldn't blame you,we are over three hundred in that class of ours but I couldn't help not noticing you the first day you walked in" I said and at that moment,I hailed myself for my toasting skills wondering where I got it from. I had never made advances at a girl before.
"Sorry I just haven't noticed you,we are so many"
"Its okay, I am Abel Osita" I introduced myself as I extended my hand for a handshake and she extended her left hand as she accepted my hand shake... A pretty left handed lady I said to myself.
"You know mine already but if I must ,I am Oluchi Inibong Akpan" she said with a shy smile. I noticed the dimple on her left cheek. "Funny names right?"
"Sure" I said laughing as we still held hands.
" My mum is an Igbo lady from Imo state and my dad from Akwa Ibom"
"Now I understand" I said as we let go of each other's hand." Nice meeting you Oluchi,so you speak both Igbo and Efik?"
"Yes,very well,I speak Yoruba and French too, very well"
"Wow!" I had exclaimed in admiration. "Plus English that's five languages, you are officially a linguist " I told her as I took that moment to admire her beauty, having come to see her for the first time,face to face.
Light skinned,well structured face,a beautiful well shaped nose,her eye brows were well carved and drawn,simple but beautiful make up......beautiful in all ramifications.
"You stay in the hostel? She asked at that point and I got embarrassed because she had caught me staring.
" Yeah I do"
"Nice meeting you,you are officially the first friend I am making since I got here"
"I am flattered" I told her in all honesty" and i sincerely hope it takes us places"
"Hope so too" She had said and for the first time,she met my gaze and at that moment there was a spark, a spark that told me I had found my forever.
From that day,Oluchi and I became inseparable,we were the best of friends,each other's confidant. In class she was called 'Mrs Osita'. When we were together,they called us 'Mr and Mrs'. It was not until our second year that I had asked Oluchi to officially be my girlfriend.

I had gone to visit her at her hostel,that day I was prepared to declare my feelings to her,we were standing in her balcony holding hands when I asked "Oluchi will you be my girlfriend?" She laughed out loud as she playfully hit my chest.
"Why are you laughing?" I asked wondering if I had said the wrongest thing ever said on planet earth " I am sorry if it came out wrong Oluchi but I have grown to love you so much,I want us to be more than friends,when I see you,I see forever with you,I want this relationship to go beyond here,we are already in our second year,I am twenty one and you,nineteen,before you know it,we will be done here. I want a future with you Oluchi"
"You know why I laughed Abel?" She asked as she put her hand over my shoulder....that sweet gesture assured me I was on track.
"Why?" I asked praying it was all good not withstanding the sweet gesture.
" The question of me being your girlfriend was uncalled for because I have been your girlfriend from the moment we met"
How relieved I had been to hear those words coming from her.
"You have come to mean a lot to me Abel and I want a forever with you too besides,I am already called Mrs Osita aren't I?" She asked and we both burst out in laughter.
"I am forever yours" I said to her as I gave her a warm embrace.
"I am forever yours too" At that point,I had felt I had gotten a part of my life so right,all was left was to get done with school,service,get a good job and settle down with the love of my life. How amazing that we were each other's first love.

But my forever had to end.......with a sigh,and taking my mind off my thoughts,I glance at the wall clock again,realizing it was ten thirty pm. Going back to my call log,I dialled Oluchi's number. On the fourth ring she picks up my call.
"Hello" came that sweet voice of hers.
"Hello Oluchi,its Abel" I quickly say to avoid her asking the same question that had spoilt my day earlier.
" Abel Osita?" She asked and I smiled a smile of hope.
"Yes,it's the same old Abel,you don't have my number anymore" I said in a sad voice with the aim to make her feel guilty.
"I have lost count on how many phones I have changed,sorry,how are you?" She said without waiting for me to accept her apology.
"I am fine" came my reply,full of hope,maybe we could come back together. "You?"
" Wonderful,God has been faithful,you still here in Abuja?"
"No,I have been in Lagos for three months now,I work here"
"Really? That's good,congratulations". My hope is amassing, we just could come back together.
" Thanks,its an accounting firm, I was given an accommodation and a car"
"Congratulations" she says again.
"You still with the same bank in Abuja?"
"Yes I am, in fact I was in Lagos two months ago for a training"
"Really? How I would have loved to see you again,its being about three years right?"
" I think so" she replies with an 'I don't give a heck' voice.
"How have you being,how's life?" I ask, wanting to be all chatty just like the good old days.
"Wonderful Abel,I went on a vacation to the US for three weeks,came back three days before the training I told you I came for in Lagos"
"That's nice,good to know you are doing well for yourself"
"Thanks,I rounded up my master degree program last year in Canada"
"Interesting" I mutter,now I am feeling she's doing the same thing she did three years ago,putting it to me that she's doing way better than me.
" I bought a plot of land December last year and God willing I will start building in a few months from now"
"That's lovely Oluchi,I am happy for you" I am forced to say, now she has succeeded in making me feel worthless, already regretting the call, she asks.......
"You? Hope life has been good to you too?" sensing a lot behind that question, came my reply.
"Yea it has,at least I am alive and well" I need to end the call before she hurts my feelings all over again I am saying to myself...........too late!
"Alright Abel,was nice hearing from you again, I need to go to bed now,I have a flight to catch in the morning,heading to Dubai"
"Okay"
"I appreciate your call,feel free to call me any time,we have moved on yes but should you need my assistance for anything you can always call me okay?"
"Good night Oluchi" I say slowly, hanging up the phone, not waiting to hear a word from her.

In my heart,I know it is good night forever between us.
I get on my feet, growing so mad! How could Oluchi have changed from who she was to who she is? Even after telling her about getting a job,an accommodation and a car,she still made him feel like a pauper. My mother had forbidden me to ever mention her name,now he was going to forbid himself of ever thinking about her.
Picking up his phone,he went to his contact list and deleted her number,going to Facebook,he went to his friend list,typed Oluchi Ini Akpan and clicked,'unfriend'

Now I have to move on for real with my life,what's lost is lost,I have to accept. I am only thirty years of age,I have got so many years ahead of me to be the man and more than the man Oluchi thinks I can never be. I will never think about her nor call her again,my mind is made up,so help me God!!!

What becomes of Abel? Watch our for the fast forwarded series of 'Abel's Journal'.......

(1) (Reply)

Letter To An Imaginary Lover / Can You Sue Your Parents For Being Ugly???? / How To Achieve Success Through Mental Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.