Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) (68989 Views)

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 16 Years After / Why Buhari Was ‘Banned’ From Entering U.S. For 15 Years — Atiku / Muhammadu Buhari Cantonment Giri, Abuja Commissioned By Army (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by teelaw4life(m): 4:17pm On Jan 27, 2017
ajademola2000:
The first name is Taiwo Majekodunmi not Tiwo. He was my family, we were together in Mafoluku that same morning the incident happened but I left before it all started. Rest in peace Taiwo Majekodunmi and my niece pelumi Majekodunmi

May their Souls rest in perfect peace.

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by YesNo(m): 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2017
Very horrible experience... We were living upstairs in surulere while this was happening in ikeja. all the sliding Windows and doors bursted due to the effect of vibrations.

the colours in the sky and the vibrations on the ground that night... you wouldn't want to see war in your life.

#neverforget

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by nefertitiram: 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remember that day... I was at a salon gossiping with friends when everything began to shake. We all began to run home but on getting home our people were running out. I remember taking cover inside on gutter. I lost my shoe

See pandemonium! We were all so scared. The glass windows of the houses were shaking vigorously.
We were all helpless... People abandoned their cars and ran. The safest place to be was on the streets.

We thought it was an earthquake, we must have died a thousand times that day, till we heard breaking news from one car's radio. That it was a bomb blast at the army cantonment...even though we lived in gbagada

For days they kept pulling out bodies of parents and kids who drowned in the canal.

15 years already... We must be getting really old

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ajademola2000(m): 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2017
teelaw4life:

May their Souls rest in perfect peace.
Amen sir, thanks
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by LorDBolton(m): 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2017
Can't forget that day, I was prolly still in js1

Was watching the "shell cup final" on NTA (ironically it seems it was being played at nat'l stadium surulere)

The way the sky turned red?
Way the ground shook?
Way EVERYONE (from the aboki shop running barefeet to my igbo neighbour frantically packing anytin + his family into his benz regular to seeing my yoruba friends family speeding off in their mitsubushi gallant)

My mom speaking bini asking my grandma if they were bombing benin.

Power went off.

That day I understood what chaos meant... it definitely contributed to my conviction that religion is a sham!

The only true thing about africa is TRIBE... everyone was running to their VILLAGE! They thought it was a coup attempt!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by basmur(m): 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2017
THE BOMB BLAST SOUND THAT DAY WAS SO MUCH LOUDER... EACH SOUND CAUSIN SOME SORT OF VIBRATION OF THE GROUND IN MY AREA THEN.......RIP to the dead
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by nefertitiram: 4:31pm On Jan 27, 2017
walexy1:
I sion started, everyone ran outside the house to the balcony to observe what was happening, some ps.

k ck of the explosion and were bent outwards, louvers went breaking, falling out of windows, people running out of their homes. A particular man was actually taking his bath when the next

We ran from Maryland through Mende, through a swampy area, God saved us too, cos we almost drowned if not for a military man that helped us climb on a rickety bridge floating over the swamp. Just as people ran into the Oke Afa swamp thinking it was land, many ran into this swamp too, but God had mercy on us (myself and my mum), we would have drowned too. On the other side of the almost dilapidated wooden bridge, we continued our "Isreali" journey, running without shoes to Alapere where my mum's Aunt stays. Even @ Alapere, people were still running, but we couldn't anymore cos we had no strength left in us after the whole experience.

I can't recount everything here, it was too much to see, but thank God for saving us. For everyone whose lives were lost, I say may they rest in peace.

January 27th, 2002, a day I will never forget.

Peace!!!!!!

Your recount of events brought tears to my eyes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by giftedben: 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2017
I was in St. Agnes catholic church Maryland, imaging we were in the house of God but that day we had no men of faith. i could still remember the priest saying don't run! don't run! you are in the house of thee lord. Omo See running. we all thought the world was coming to an end. in 2face voice "Nobody won die but they won go heaven" grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by robonski15(m): 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2017
A very terrible day.... Was playing super Mario with my friends in the living room, all of a sudden we heard the first blast, we rushed out and someone was saying it was a filling station on fire. We heard the second blast much more louder this time the roof was beginning to crack.

We rushed out again and we saw lots of people already running, then I saw my uncle coming in and warned me never to run i said yes sir.. The third blast was the killer blast I ran out and mixed with the crowd the flames where just so huge it seems it was coming towards us..

We got the oke afa close to the canal we were all matching on like zombies all of a sudden from no where I saw my uncle calling me walking towards me he pulled me out and said i told you not to run . That was my saving grace we took another route straight to aswani. I lost two of my neighnours.. Ayatu and habiba keep resting in peace.

18 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by pelumi10: 4:36pm On Jan 27, 2017
Check out my Short Story titled "Pay Back"
He pulled her up gently, she looked at him and gave a faint smile "I never knew you will bring me pain one day, I have never thought that you will be the reason for my death" she said as she gave up the ghost....

Read Full Story Here
https://www.nairaland.com/3592700/pay-back-short-story
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by walexy1(m): 4:41pm On Jan 27, 2017
RoyalMail:

Permit me to use your story on our blog..

Thanks

www.ajayiwrites.com

You are free bro!

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ephi123(f): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
nefertitiram:
I remember that day... I was at a salon gossiping with friends when everything began to shake. We all began to run home but on getting home our people were running out. I remember taking cover inside on gutter. I lost my shoe

See pandemonium! We were all so scared. The glass windows of the houses were shaking vigorously.
We were all helpless... People abandoned their cars and ran. The safest place to be was on the streets.

We thought it was an earthquake, we must have died a thousand times that day, till we heard breaking news from one car's radio. That it was a bomb blast at the army cantonment...even though we lived in gbagada

For days they kept pulling out bodies of parents and kids who drowned in the canal.

15 years already... We must be getting really old

cry So sad

Yet I don't think they did any proper inquest into the deaths that occurred on that day. Nigeria has no value for human life.

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by okeoghene4real(f): 4:52pm On Jan 27, 2017
It was a horrible day. My eldest brother ran with only boxers from oshodi to ojo. We still bless God for his life.
Though lost a lot of neighbors.
Idris, kemi and others continue to rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by alaskido(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2017
The names I read on the plague confirms that they buried Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo in the same grave and here they are on NL fighting themselves. What a funny world grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by walexy1(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2017
nefertitiram:

Your recount of events brought tears to my eyes

I understand the feeling, but you know life goes on. Thank God for life!
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Abass07(m): 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2017
Ojo buruku esu gbomimu
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2017
January 27th... BlackSunday

We just got back from church that evening and mom was in the kitchen warming stew for Sunday ritual rice when the first sound went off...
She shouted from the kitchen that I should go pack our school uniforms and lock the windows since we thought it was about to rain.. .
Then the second sound went off, this time the front windows facing the direction of the cantonement blew into the house.
Omoh! See take off.. . I ran out of the house forgetting the broken glasses on the floor, I slashed my leg and bleed while running.... .
Everyone was running to different directions, the thick smoke made it worse as 5pm seemed like midnight.
My dad locked everyone else inside the house despite the tremors.
Me wen be James Bond don run from Ikeja to cement around iyana ipaja with empty leg and a deep glass cut.

I actually passed out at cement close to a filling station cos I lost so much blood and exhausted.
I woke up the next day at infinity Medical Centre cos a good Samaritan saw me and carried me there.
No fones den so I took them to my house 2 days later, my family was already mourning grin grin until I appeared...
Rip Jamal, kemilotun, adebago... A sad day indeed

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Ego2(f): 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2017
on this day my aunt lost her 2nd son(her fav boy) dunno if he's dead or alive. he got missing when everyone was running for their lives tho she still believe he is alive somewhere after moving from one church to the other. while i was @ my cousin bday party.

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Mbediogu(m): 5:05pm On Jan 27, 2017
SirJeffry:
Can someone refresh my memory on what really happened then? Was it boko haram?

Neither was it Massob nor IPOB. It was also not Afenifere or any Ijaw group. Na army arrangement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Babarex(m): 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2017
This Day i will always remember...Soldiers and Police Takeoff Kabakaba...thank God We made it...REST IN PEACE to all the Victims.

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2017
My secondary school was close to the armoury, was looking forward to going to school the next day being Monday, until around 5-6pm we started hearing the blast from as far as Mushin...
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Electroweb(m): 5:19pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remember it just like yesterday. I was staying at Mafoluku, Oshodi. People were running from the unknown. Abandoning their homes. Abandoned Children crying. Confused parents looking for children. A woman fell into a dry canal in my area (Shogunle) then, no one stopped to help her. Others that slipped and fell while running were trampled on. This must be a tip of iceberg of what civil war was all about. A terrible memory. Initially we thought the Ikeja cantonement was under attack. Later we heard it was bombs detonating on their own. What caused it?The worst were the souls lost in the canal. It was dark. Those in front marched into the canal first while others followed into the dark. The canal swallowed people. That was the first time I heard the name of the canal. Its 15 years already. Its funny the way time flies.

May their souls continue to rest in peace.
Amen

3 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Reptyle(m): 5:20pm On Jan 27, 2017
Hmmm! I remember this terrible day like yesterday.

I was living in Navy Town, Ojo and as far as that place was from ground zero in Ikeja, we could clearly hear the booming explosions, see the tower of smoke billowing into the sky and feel the earth trembling beneath our feet with each deafening boom!!!

Suddenly we noticed people running out of the barracks both on feet and in fast moving cars because the Navy have an armament dump right besides the barracks mostly containing old and disused, but still active bombs, torpedoes and the likes. There was fear that the earth tremors caused by the explosions in Ikeja could trigger some of the old and disused bombs in the Naval armament dump. That would have led to another tragedy of equal, if not even larger proportion than the Ikeja one because the dump sits between the densely populated Navy Town on one side and the equally densely populated Kirikiri Prisons and Town on the other.

Thankfully, nothing of such happened and I recall that in the wake of the Ikeja tragedy, the Navy launched a major operation in conjuction with some foreign experts to evacuate and destroy some of the expired bombs housed within the dump and only retain those that were still in good condition. It took some weeks before some families felt safe enough to return to the barracks.

It was a terrible day indeed.

May the souls that perished find rest.

2 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remember that day that year. I was visiting a cousin at Meiran and everyone thought there was an ongoing military drill at Command - Ajasa Barracks. We later heard Oshodi was burning ,ikeja was burning, coup rumour n I couldn't get home that night until the next day.

RIP to those who lost their lives. The images on T.V of those that drown at Oke-Afa was graphic.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by lilreese: 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2017
Nigeria is crused
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by mecussey(m): 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2017
Tunenez:
I'd never forget that day, i was in my family residence in GRA Ikeja roughly 2KM from the cantonment. Every single window in our house shattered, many doors got jammed. It was crazy. The day after our compound was filled with ashes and debris. A day never to forget indeed.

...and Indomie generation are here craving for war..only if they know the effects of bombs alone not to talk of the bullets and current missiles.

5 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Phargbemmy(m): 5:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remembered coming home from school that day on visitation to see my Dad(R.I.P), when at about some few minutes to 5pm we heard the first blast. My dad having fought on the Nigerian side in the civil immediately rounded us all up and informed us that, that were *bombs* and possibly Lagos is under invasions.

We went out side to see fighter jets on the horizon and this gives credence to his claims. He asked us to stay huddled together in a place and not stray outside again until when the bombs stopped around midnight or thereabout.

It was late that night we heard the news and thanked God cos my dad feels its another civil war starting.

Rest in Peace Elder Fagbemi Mathias of the Nigerian Army.

RIP to all who lost their lives that day and may God continue to give strength to all who lost loved ones, amen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by RaptorX: 5:53pm On Jan 27, 2017
HomeOfMe:
I remember that day chai! Very catastrophic day,i dont even know why govt didn't make it a memorial day like 9/11. I was at alausa when i heard the sounds,at first i thought it was earthquake as people were speeding and bashing their vehicles,i was terrified,i thought America has drop ballistic missile in Lagos. May the dead rest in peace.
The government did not make it a memorial day because human life is cheap in Nigeria and the government sees mass death in Nigeria as less mouth to feed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by mecussey(m): 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
ab11baddo:
OMG.... WAT A DAY I WON'T FORGET..... Still a kid in ikotun...... My whole house was trembling to its foundation.... I was scared.... My dad was in ikeja dat Day..... He said he didn't know how he survived it.... He just kept on running.... Dat day I know obasanjo isn't human..... He left there not quite long.... Even in an hurry.... People get jars FORGET... No one can take ur life when God has not deem it fit.

Sometimes, you wonder if babalawo is helpful...obj have survived many near death experiences.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by tutudesz: 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
michaelobinna:
My secondary school was close to the armoury, was looking forward to going to school the next day being Monday, until around 5-6pm we started hearing the blast from as far as Mushin...
which set?
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2017
tutudesz:

which set? 2000/2006 set

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Christmas Tree That Cost Imo State Govt N600M / Kiki Osinbajo Outfit To DJ Cuppy's Foundation's Fundraising Event / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.