Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,493 members, 7,830,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) (68992 Views)

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 16 Years After / Why Buhari Was ‘Banned’ From Entering U.S. For 15 Years — Atiku / Muhammadu Buhari Cantonment Giri, Abuja Commissioned By Army (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by mizeniola(f): 6:07pm On Jan 27, 2017
hmmn....fifteen years oooo....the blast started in my block.... cbq 71.... back then. my mum was seven months pregnant...... didn't lose the baby though...... thank God for our lives...... after cooking pounded yam that afternoon with egusi..... .didn't get to eat....

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by airminem(f): 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2017
The Explosion Eruptd From Ikeja Military Cantonment That Day And Less Than 3 People Lost Their Lives From The Cantonment..The Effect Of The Explosion Outside The Barrack Cost The Thousands Of Life Lost.
It Was Unfortunate My Sister.
R I P
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by kherington: 6:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
My only memory about the incident was that the then commissioner of police lagos state mike okiro and two other nigerians that i don't remember their names appeared on nta network to inform nigerians on what happened They were speaking in ibo hausa and yoruba
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by rezzy: 6:20pm On Jan 27, 2017
I stayed at Ajangbadi at that time, mom sent me to pluck pumpkin leave from a neighbor's compound, suddenly the sky became dark and dust raising from the ground and the ground was shaking,. Omo, I ran home quickly, then at night we heard the news.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by lucas101: 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2017
Then we were living in Otta. Doing my assignment in fear of Mr. Hassan's cane in Iganmode Grammar school. Suddenly the dors started to open n close with each bang.....due to the distance it was more like a thunderstorm but the ground was shaking. But RIP to the dead.

Those who made bomb don craze ooooo
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by tutudesz: 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2017
[quote author=michaelobinna post=53184252][/quote] 1999/2005.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by R0LL0N(m): 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2017
walexy1:
I remembered that Sunday very well. We were staying at Onigbongbo, Maryland, ikeja then. A terrible Sunday i can't forget in a hurry. We stayed on the 1st floor of a three storey building and very close to the cantonment-our street was actually sharing fence with the ikeja cantonment.

When the 1st explosion started, everyone ran outside the house to the balcony to observe what was happening, some were initially saying it was a petrol tanker that exploded. We could see thick black smoke rising from the far end and immediately with a loud deafening explosion, everywhere became dark, and the whole building started shaking. In the panic and confusion, we all ran in different directions, i ran to the backyard staircase hoping to jump but was not possible because at that instant, everywhere was darkened, with serious shakings-like an earthquake attack- i had to run back to the front corridor and managed to jump the flight of steps.

In the confusion, my mum jumped from the 1st storey and was dangling, holding the railings of the balcony, her legs swigging free ready to take a free fall of about 16 meters down. While hanging there, she was shouting for help but no body wanted to give any form of assistance because they were all running for their lives. on jumping through the flight of stairs down to the ground floor, i saw my mum dangling from the railings on the last floor (topmost floor), almost falling, I screamed and shouted, pleading with the running crowd to please assist me in rescuing my mum. I then ran back to the first floor, with two other men, one to the first floor with me and the other to the next floor. We took hold of her slipping hands while the other man held her legs to gradually lower her to the second floor.

it was a terrible day, our ceiling fan blades received the shock of the explosion and were bent outwards, louvers went breaking, falling out of windows, people running out of their homes. A particular man was actually taking his bath when the next explosion happened, with soap leather all over his body and head covered in soap, the man joined the mammoth crowd running towards the Onigbongbo Bus stop.

We ran from Maryland through Mende, through a swampy area, God saved us too, cos we almost drowned if not for a military man that helped us climb on a rickety bridge floating over the swamp. Just as people ran into the Oke Afa swamp thinking it was land, many ran into this swamp too, but God had mercy on us (myself and my mum), we would have drowned too. On the other side of the almost dilapidated wooden bridge, we continued our "Isreali" journey, running without shoes to Alapere where my mum's Aunt stays. Even @ Alapere, people were still running, but we couldn't anymore cos we had no strength left in us after the whole experience.

I can't recount everything here, it was too much to see, but thank God for saving us. For everyone whose lives were lost, I say may they rest in peace.

January 27th, 2002, a day I will never forget.

Peace!!!!!!

so touched bro. may you not shed a sorrowful tears over your family

5 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by R0LL0N(m): 6:45pm On Jan 27, 2017
ajademola2000:
The first name is Taiwo Majekodunmi not Tiwo. He was my family, we were together in Mafoluku that same morning the incident happened but I left before it all started. Rest in peace Taiwo Majekodunmi and my niece pelumi Majekodunmi
take heart nairalander I feel ur pains

2 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by R0LL0N(m): 6:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
giftedben:
I was in St. Agnes catholic church Maryland, imaging we were in the house of God but that day we had no men of faith. i could still remember the priest saying don't run! don't run! you are in the house of thee lord. Omo See running. we all thought the world was coming to an end. in 2face voice "Nobody won die but they won go heaven" grin
lol death no good o
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by lekkipropertyy: 6:50pm On Jan 27, 2017
We felt the vibration in Lagos island at first we thought it was a fireworks from idumota day which was held on same day... it was a black day.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by iamdapsyj(m): 6:56pm On Jan 27, 2017
Admin401:

it's funny how i can't even remember what happened the next day or even the morning of that sunday

but i can clearly remember everything that happened that evening. if twitter was around back then they would have harsh tagged it

#blacksunday

lol, it was when tinubu then Lagos governor gave a live broadcast that eventually calmed my nerves. naija and speculation are 5&6.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by obiageIi(f): 6:57pm On Jan 27, 2017
efilefun:
The fact was the bomb was meant for OBJ but being an herbalist himself he saw what was coming and rounded up his visit to the cantonment quickly before the bomb starts detonating, it was a well planned "accidental bombing" to eliminate the ebora but who was behind it still remains a misery yet to be uncovered. May the souls of the departed continue to rest in peace
You mean Obj was at the cantonment earlier that day? Pls confirm
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Obodo999(m): 6:58pm On Jan 27, 2017
I was at nearby Ikeja General Hospital just across the road from the Cantonment when the explosion started. I abandoned my car at Allen Junction and walked home to Adeniyi Jones. People kept falling over on the shaking ground. I witnessed vehicles hitting people anyhow. No one stopped to help anyone. A terrible day embarassed
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 27, 2017
tutudesz:

1999/2005.
wow..You be my senior then, MRs Adebayo was principal then if I am correct, you remember mrs Koko
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Redslip: 7:10pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remembered we were playing 6 aside in the hockey field close to the ATD, at first we thought it was a random shooting coz it wasn't that loud initially but again shooting in barrack was rare until the sound became louder. Soccer game those days was real fun nobody want to leave despite those warning sounds that we heard not until a great breeze blew everyone. Actually I didn't heard any bang that made us to ran like hell that day but I recalled we all ran different direction. some of us met at the basketball court before we saw a another great bang with the cloud showing rainbow like colour and stars. It would have actually been a beauty to watch if it was in the movie, but it wasn't.

None of my friends at the Army field lost their lives despite our location
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
Deejacy2:
I was there as a Child in 2002, living in the Barracks.

I thank God for my Life and that of my Family.

That day was scary
I was a resident in the barracks then too. Experienced the whole thing first hand, even as a child. It was a terrible experience.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by efilefun(m): 7:25pm On Jan 27, 2017
Yea he had an event in the afternoon/evening but OBJ came pretty early and left around 11 am
obiageIi:

You mean Obj was at the cantonment earlier that day? Pls confirm
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 27, 2017
Still fresh in my mind, part of our roof fell and I think some glasses shattered, our neighbour's were blindly following many people like a herd to the canal luckily they survived, the following morning, many corpses were excavated from the canal.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by walexy1(m): 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2017
[quote author=R0LL0N post=53185439]
so touched bro. may you not shed a sorrowful tears over your family[/quo

Amen!!! Thanks!
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by HitlerGaddafi: 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2017
robonski15:
A very terrible day.... Was playing super Mario with my friends in the living room, all of a sudden we heard the first blast, we rushed out and someone was saying it was a filling station on fire. We heard the second blast much more louder this time the roof was beginning to crack.

We rushed out again and we saw lots of people already running, then I saw my uncle coming in and warned me never to run i said yes sir.. The third blast was the killer blast I ran out and mixed with the crowd the flames where just so huge it seems it was coming towards us..

We got the oke afa close to the canal we were all matching on like zombies all of a sudden from no where I saw my uncle calling me walking towards me he pulled me out and said i told you not to run . That was my saving grace we took another route straight to aswani. I lost two of my neighnours.. Ayatu and habiba keep resting in peace.
Thank God for your uncle.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Amostatics(m): 7:32pm On Jan 27, 2017
I was 4 then and I no die thanks to my sis who threw me into an unknown man's car I was found 3weeks later. Am still in my lovely barrack. grin cool
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by obiageIi(f): 7:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
efilefun:
Yea he had an event in the afternoon/evening but OBJ came pretty early and left around 11 am
Wow, thanks for the reply
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by robonski15(m): 7:34pm On Jan 27, 2017
HitlerGaddafi:

Thank God for your uncle.

I tell ya.. He is my hero..
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by blank(f): 7:35pm On Jan 27, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

Blank, there was GSM but it wasn't widespread like we have now.

GSM came into Nigeria in August 2001.

You're right cos my folks had but we at home did not have to be able to reach them.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Smooyis(m): 7:36pm On Jan 27, 2017
May the good Lord forgive their sins and accept their souls.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Glorygrace(f): 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2017
Yes,I heard of the incident from far away.May God deliver us from any such reoccurrence.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by tollyboy5(m): 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2017
best thread of the year I'm sure it would be made remembrance day in future. but u wonder what obasanjo has been using, and if its politics that lead to that that means Nigeria politics is too wild
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by tutudesz: 8:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
michaelobinna:
wow..You be my senior then, MRs Adebayo was principal then if I am correct, you remember mrs Koko
yeah,that was when command was fun!
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by adedehinbo(m): 8:08pm On Jan 27, 2017
thank God it happened on the weekend, hadn't been it happen during the week many command day students would increase the casualty, I attended command day,I thank God am alive
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:08pm On Jan 27, 2017
blank:

You're right cos my folks had but we at home did not have to be able to reach them.

Thanks for the feedback.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by adedehinbo(m): 8:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
tillaman:
Oh I remember this day, how can I possibly forget this terrible Sunday, twas so bad that we felt the impact in bariga then, it was so bad that ppl coming frm dat axis started spreading rumor that the British were d ones behind d blast prolly to cart sway with slaves, lol, may the souls of the departed rest on!!
u re right my Broda I lived at bariga then too,idiaba bustop akinsanya street.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by bobochem: 8:26pm On Jan 27, 2017
Dat day,all my family members and neighbours packed ourselves inside one old beetle car escaping to Ogun state.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Christmas Tree That Cost Imo State Govt N600M / Kiki Osinbajo Outfit To DJ Cuppy's Foundation's Fundraising Event / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.