Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,489 members, 7,830,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) (68991 Views)

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 16 Years After / Why Buhari Was ‘Banned’ From Entering U.S. For 15 Years — Atiku / Muhammadu Buhari Cantonment Giri, Abuja Commissioned By Army (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by mizeniola(f): 10:01am On Jan 28, 2017
holamiday:
O really. I always thought you nairalanders are ghosts. grin I attended Command primary & secondary too.

Cheers!
lol......thought you all were fallen bodies too
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 10:02am On Jan 28, 2017
Memory
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Codyt(m): 10:20am On Jan 28, 2017
slurryeye:
I remember this day like yesterday

It was January 27, 2002. I was preparing for Jamb then. My family went to my hometown for a relative burial leaving only me at home. After reading for a while, I decided to switch on the TV. I cant remember which teams were playing, but I know I was carried away by the football match. All of a sudden, I heard a big bang. I initially thought it was my neighbour kids. I thought to myself that if it's any of those kids disturbing my peace, I will beat the crap out of them. Few seconds later, I heard another bang. But this time around the ground was vibrating. I said to myself, wait a minute, these kids can't have such power to bang and vibrate the ground. So I decided to go outside and observe what was going on. To my utmost surprise, I saw mammoth of crowd, everyone looking confused to what was going on. Then I went to the top floor of the 3rd house to my house which is a 3 storey building to have a better glimpse of what was going on. There I saw crowd of adults all speculating what was happening. Some said the military has overthrown Obasanjo, some said another civil war has broken out - Papa Chidi started talking about the ordeal of the civil war, and how he prayed never to witness another war in his lifetime, some said it was Cameroun fighting Nigeria because of Bakassi peninsula etc. Bro Dee came up with the most reasonable speculation that from his observation that he thinks it is an explosive factory that mistakenly caught fire and set up the chain reaction. While everyone was speculating what the situation is, Mama Mary out of nowhere with anxiety and fear written all over her face shouted let's start running to the 4th street away. Then I said how are we sure those people there are not trying to run to our own street. Bro Dee looked at me and said this young man is very intelligent. He told Mama Mary to calm down that we will continue to listen to radio to know what the problem is, then after we know what the problem is, we can strategize what to do next. After about 30 minutes later, we heard in the radio that it was a mistake from military cantonment that caused explosives to start exploding. Not too long afterwards, my pops eventually got through to my neighbour who he had tried to call like a million times in order to talk to me. He narrated what he heard from my hometown, and I told him I'm aware of the situation and everything is fine with me. I could feel panic in my mom's voice at the background (the fear of a mother). It wasn't until the next day that we heard of the bad news of how a lot of lifes were lost in the Oke afa canal. That day, I saw Mama Mary, and I asked her if she heard of the Oke afa tragic news, she said yes. Then I told her that can she see why it's not good to start running when you don't know what you're running from. She said my brother it is TRUE o. My heart goes out to all the family that lost someone in this tragedy especially the parent that lost all their kids. May God continue to condole them and may all the innocent souls lost continue to rest in peace. I pray we don't witness this kind of tragedy again in Nigeria

Moral of the lesson: Don't run when you don't know what is pursuing you, and don't pray for war when you haven't witnessed one before.
Gbayi my brother!!
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Great504: 11:07am On Jan 28, 2017
[quote author=hucienda post=53178650]Heydays of the fourth republic with President Obasanjo at the centre and Governor Tinubu at Ikeja.

This was an avoidable tradegy but Nigeria being what she is, it happened and as with other similar occurences in the country, fifteen years later, is still left where it was swept under the carpet.

Bless their souls.
[/quote : tragedy not tradegy
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Rendition(m): 12:15pm On Jan 28, 2017
ajademola2000:
The first name is Taiwo Majekodunmi not Tiwo. He was my family, we were together in Mafoluku that same morning the incident happened but I left before it all started. Rest in peace Taiwo Majekodunmi and my niece pelumi Majekodunmi
. Condolences, may der soul continue to rest in peace
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Rendition(m): 12:20pm On Jan 28, 2017
giftedben:
I was in St. Agnes catholic church Maryland, imaging we were in the house of God but that day we had no men of faith. i could still remember the priest saying don't run! don't run! you are in the house of thee lord. Omo See running. we all thought the world was coming to an end. in 2face voice "Nobody won die but they won go heaven" grin
do u do services in evening ?,cuz me wey be cele sef don dey huse wen it started and dat was very close to evening
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by giftedben: 3:57pm On Jan 28, 2017
Rendition:
do u do services in evening ?,cuz me wey be cele sef don dey huse wen it started and dat was very close to evening

yes i do. it was during my post confirmation time.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by haryomikun(m): 2:28am On Jan 29, 2017
Ganiyat72:
It is not afternoon, but evening. It started few minutes before 17GMT.
God saved my life and that of my younger brother. We ran from mafoluku to ejigbo with leg that night, and as God will have it we also came back that night, although very late, to the suprise of my family members who are serching for us.
Hmmm. I don't understand this thing sef. If you were in oshodi then why did you run? The explosion happened in ikeja and besides the place it happened is quite far away from mafoluku.

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by haryomikun(m): 3:02am On Jan 29, 2017
lucas101:
Then we were living in Otta. Doing my assignment in fear of Mr. Hassan's cane in Iganmode Grammar school. Suddenly the dors started to open n close with each bang.....due to the distance it was more like a thunderstorm but the ground was shaking. But RIP to the dead.

Those who made bomb don craze ooooo
Wait sef. I don't understand people again sad
How can something that happened at Ikeja, people felt it in otta. Same ota wey I dey stay here. Ikeja wey be like 1 hour away from Sango
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by otitokoroleti: 5:02pm On Mar 20, 2017
okeoghene4real:
It was a horrible day. My eldest brother ran with only boxers from oshodi to ojo. We still bless God for his life.
Though lost a lot of neighbors.
Idris, kemi and others continue to rest in peace.
hw person no go shine teeth at the bolded? RIP to the dead though
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by KingAzubuike(f): 8:46am On Mar 11, 2019
Ego2:
on this day my aunt lost her 2nd son(her fav boy) dunno if he's dead or alive. he got missing when everyone was running for their lives tho she still believe he is alive somewhere after moving from one church to the other. while i was @ my cousin bday party.

Has he been found yet? And how old was he when he got missing?
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Ego2(f): 5:04am On Mar 12, 2019
KingAzubuike:

Has he been found yet? And how old was he when he got missing?
nah... hasn't been found.... he was 13 or 14

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Christmas Tree That Cost Imo State Govt N600M / Kiki Osinbajo Outfit To DJ Cuppy's Foundation's Fundraising Event / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.