Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,118 members, 7,828,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) (68978 Views)

2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 16 Years After / Why Buhari Was ‘Banned’ From Entering U.S. For 15 Years — Atiku / Muhammadu Buhari Cantonment Giri, Abuja Commissioned By Army (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2017
efilefun:
The rumor around my area then was that some filling stations were attacked by armed robbers who set the three filling stations beside each other ablaze and thats why we could hear those horrible ground shaking noises even thou i stay miles away from ikeja
Lol, the kinda funny stories ppl spread that time ehn
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Yomiwayne80(m): 3:44pm On Jan 27, 2017
It's the duty of some soldiers to guide bombs.... That's the only work they do at the barracks... The sleep with bombs and wake up with bombs. I can't ever fit
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2017
ammyluv2002:
May their souls continue to rest in peace. ...Amen!
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by HomeOfMe(f): 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remember that day chai! Very catastrophic day,i dont even know why govt didn't make it a memorial day like 9/11. I was at alausa when i heard the sounds,at first i thought it was earthquake as people were speeding and bashing their vehicles,i was terrified,i thought America has drop ballistic missile in Lagos. May the dead rest in peace.

3 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Tunenez(m): 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2017
I'd never forget that day, i was in my family residence in GRA Ikeja roughly 2KM from the cantonment. Every single window in our house shattered, many doors got jammed. It was crazy. The day after our compound was filled with ashes and debris. A day never to forget indeed.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by slurryeye: 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2017
favourmic:

Weting you remember

Come back for full story, I will be driving to work now
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
blank:
I remember that day so clearly. I felt it all the way in Ikoyi.

We kept on praying for our parents to return safely as there was no GSM and they went towards Ajao estate to visit some people.

Blank, there was GSM but it wasn't widespread like we have now.

GSM came into Nigeria in August 2001.

4 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2017
Black Sunday it was.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by mismore(f): 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2017
That day still looks like yesterday. The sound alone was deafening not to talk of the havoc it caused.

Upon all our running away from home, despite all rumors, the house was still intact when we got back.

Rest in peace to the dead......
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Annibiteye: 3:53pm On Jan 27, 2017
A day I'll live to remember 27th Jan 2002. Residing at Egbe via Oke afa. initially I thought it was a kind of thunderstorm, then the sounds persisted and sounding louder, panic here and there, children wailing and yelling in confusion. mmh...wahala don come o. Until much later when Asiwaju made a state broadcast on radio on the happenings that we were relieved a little. #Blacksunday in Lagos
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by kennytidistar(m): 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2017
Baba iyabo vs Ojuyobo, that nadeco boy no get conscience but weed wicked o. That day was terrible. Politicians killing masses because of post.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by fergieboy: 3:57pm On Jan 27, 2017
What happened bcox I was born in 2003 shocked
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by tillaman(m): 3:57pm On Jan 27, 2017
Oh I remember this day, how can I possibly forget this terrible Sunday, twas so bad that we felt the impact in bariga then, it was so bad that ppl coming frm dat axis started spreading rumor that the British were d ones behind d blast prolly to cart sway with slaves, lol, may the souls of the departed rest on!!

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by grafixdon: 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2017
That they was terrible. The day I'll never forget. Rest on victims...
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by grafixdon: 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2017
That day was terrible. The day I'll never forget. Rest on victims...
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by redcliff: 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2017
Useless country

1 Like

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by teelaw4life(m): 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2017
I could have been one of these fallen comrades except that i along with my uncle and so many other church members and anthony village residents would have drowned in the notorious odo iya alaro in gbagada. It was an unfortunate and black evening in the history of lagos. I remember coming back home at airport road and families in other compounds would get terrible news about the death of their family members. Lost a childhood friend too. Your sacrifice will not go in vain. We will make sure all the negligent elelments responsible for the deaths of innocent citizens pay dearly for their wickedness. Rest on soldiers. We'll never forget you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by wiloy2k8(m): 4:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
Coldfeet:
The sound wave startterd our window in far away Victoria island! Made me wonder what the sound must have felt like to those in its vicinity cry

War is not good imagine hearing that sound morning afternoon and night undecided

May their souls find rest.

omg cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by EmekaBlue(m): 4:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
Deejacy2:
I was there as a Child in 2002, living in the Barracks.

I thank God for my Life and that of my Family.

That day was scary
i lived there then also..#BarrackBoy
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ab11baddo(m): 4:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
OMG.... WAT A DAY I WON'T FORGET..... Still a kid in ikotun...... My whole house was trembling to its foundation.... I was scared.... My dad was in ikeja dat Day..... He said he didn't know how he survived it.... He just kept on running.... Dat day I know obasanjo isn't human..... He left there not quite long.... Even in an hurry.... People get jars FORGET... No one can take ur life when God has not deem it fit.

2 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 27, 2017
Bad day Satan drank water ooo.

We (me n my family) actually saw the lightening from our Jakande Estate, Isolo apartment, we initially thought it was fireworks, many people I knew never came back...dark thick cloud...

my mum's elder sister parked her car on her way from the island (Pedro) and trekked to Isolo....very bad day.
Thank God for the gift of live.

Eternal rest grant unto them oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. Amen

3 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by bluice2(m): 4:06pm On Jan 27, 2017
Deejacy2:
Lol Pele ohhgrin grin

Thanchu. It finally paid off well. grin.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Roland17(m): 4:07pm On Jan 27, 2017
The Ikeja military cantonment which housed the bombs also housed my Alma Mater, Command Day Secondary School Ikeja. I remember we always walked by the building while we walked home from school. Thank goodness this accident occurred on a Sunday, else, na another story we for dey talk today.

I remember me and my sister were preparing our clothing for school the following day when we heard the news. School was closed for a while and we reverted to evening school on a temp site which is now the perm site for the school. It was a difficult period because we returned from school very late and it altered our schedule.

The story plenti for one day, however, that experience made me and my classmates stronger mentally.

That generation of Commando's are always going to be special in the history of Command Day School Ikeja.

3 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by walexy1(m): 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2017
I remembered that Sunday very well. We were staying at Onigbongbo, Maryland, ikeja then. A terrible Sunday i can't forget in a hurry. We stayed on the 1st floor of a three storey building and very close to the cantonment-our street was actually sharing fence with the ikeja cantonment.

When the 1st explosion started, everyone ran outside the house to the balcony to observe what was happening, some were initially saying it was a petrol tanker that exploded. We could see thick black smoke rising from the far end and immediately with a loud deafening explosion, everywhere became dark, and the whole building started shaking. In the panic and confusion, we all ran in different directions, i ran to the backyard staircase hoping to jump but was not possible because at that instant, everywhere was darkened, with serious shakings-like an earthquake attack- i had to run back to the front corridor and managed to jump the flight of steps.

In the confusion, my mum jumped from the 1st storey and was dangling, holding the railings of the balcony, her legs swigging free ready to take a free fall of about 16 meters down. While hanging there, she was shouting for help but no body wanted to give any form of assistance because they were all running for their lives. on jumping through the flight of stairs down to the ground floor, i saw my mum dangling from the railings on the last floor (topmost floor), almost falling, I screamed and shouted, pleading with the running crowd to please assist me in rescuing my mum. I then ran back to the first floor, with two other men, one to the first floor with me and the other to the next floor. We took hold of her slipping hands while the other man held her legs to gradually lower her to the second floor.

it was a terrible day, our ceiling fan blades received the shock of the explosion and were bent outwards, louvers went breaking, falling out of windows, people running out of their homes. A particular man was actually taking his bath when the next explosion happened, with soap leather all over his body and head covered in soap, the man joined the mammoth crowd running towards the Onigbongbo Bus stop.

We ran from Maryland through Mende, through a swampy area, God saved us too, cos we almost drowned if not for a military man that helped us climb on a rickety bridge floating over the swamp. Just as people ran into the Oke Afa swamp thinking it was land, many ran into this swamp too, but God had mercy on us (myself and my mum), we would have drowned too. On the other side of the almost dilapidated wooden bridge, we continued our "Isreali" journey, running without shoes to Alapere where my mum's Aunt stays. Even @ Alapere, people were still running, but we couldn't anymore cos we had no strength left in us after the whole experience.

I can't recount everything here, it was too much to see, but thank God for saving us. For everyone whose lives were lost, I say may they rest in peace.

January 27th, 2002, a day I will never forget.

Peace!!!!!!

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by madridguy(m): 4:10pm On Jan 27, 2017
Black Sunday that can never be forgotten. RIP to the victims.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by eldoradoxx: 4:11pm On Jan 27, 2017
Rip to the dead. How times fly.
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by brownhawk: 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2017
geostrata:
angry
Na this day i know say somewhere called ikorodu existed grin grin

Trekked from ojota to ikorodu that night sad sad
GEOstrata I believe you
Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by ajademola2000(m): 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2017
The first name is Taiwo Majekodunmi not Tiwo. He was my family, we were together in Mafoluku that same morning the incident happened but I left before it all started. Rest in peace Taiwo Majekodunmi and my niece pelumi Majekodunmi

14 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by UjSizzle(f): 4:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
My brothers schooled there-- glad it wasn't a school day. I remember it happened on a Sunday I think. We felt the tremors at Akoka. Wasn't funny at all.

May their souls rest in peace.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by Amhappy(f): 4:16pm On Jan 27, 2017
In the heat of all that my auntie entered emergency labour,her treasure baby(my beautiful cousin) was born that day. Bitter-sweet.

3 Likes

Re: 2002 Ikeja Cantonment Bomb Blast: 15 Years After (Throwback Photos) by tutudesz: 4:16pm On Jan 27, 2017
Roland17:
The Ikeja military cantonment which housed the bombs also housed my Alma Mater, Command Day Secondary School Ikeja. I remember we always walked by the building while we walked home from school. Thank goodness this accident occurred on a Sunday, else, na another story we for dey talk today.

I remember me and my sister were preparing our clothing for school the following day when we heard the news. School was closed for a while and we reverted to evening school on a temp site which is now the perm site for the school. It was a difficult period because we returned from school very late and it altered our schedule.

The story plenti for one day, however, that experience made me and my classmates stronger mentally.

That generation of Commando's are always going to be special in the history of Command Day School Ikeja.
Really thank god O! if not I doubt if anyone would have made it out! Jss3 Diamond

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Presides Over Virtual FEC Meeting. Ibrahim Gambari In Attendance / Adamu Garba: Shekau’s Death Lesson To Nnamdi Kanu, Sunday Igboho / Lagos Pays Salary Before 23rd Of The Month, The Only State In Nigeria That Does

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.