Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,026 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids (3079 Views)

How Do You Cope If Married To Someone You Don't Love? / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / Do Parents Have A Say In Our Financial Matters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 1:04pm On Jan 29, 2017
This question keeps going through my mind and there was a time we had this argument in class. Taking care of intellectually impaired kids is not an easy task since they'll be dependent on the parents all through their life, it drains the parent physically and mentally. Some argued the child should be aborted if they discover any abnormalities, some people even suggested euthanasia if the kid has been born while others felt it's not right and the kid has a right to live. How do parents cope with these kids and what's the best thing to do?
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
They're called special kids and they have professionals whose job is to teach these kids.
There is a saying that "no matter how pikin be, him mama like am like that".

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by dingbang(m): 1:21pm On Jan 29, 2017
Just pray that u don't give birth to one

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by thorpido(m): 5:02pm On Jan 29, 2017
Parents with such children cope.It's a big challenge they have to take but many take it in their strides.
Sometimes some take them to special kids' homes where professionals take care of them.
A few abandon them.There are many cases where such children have been left at the gates of hospitals or wards.
Sometimes,the parents let them die.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:13pm On Jan 29, 2017
thorpido:
Parents with such children cope.It's a big challenge they have to take but many take it in their strides.
Sometimes some take them to special kids' homes where professionals take care of them.
A few abandon them.There are many cases where such children have been left at the gates of hospitals or wards.
Sometimes,the parents let them die.

That's why it's better to do an ultrasound to detect abnormalities in the child. It's better not to bring them to this world instead of letting them suffer. I feel bad the way some people treat them and how they're discriminated.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
dingbang:
Just pray that u don't give birth to one
Everybody's prayer is to give birth to an healthy and a mentally sound kid.

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 29, 2017
Why're you calling them imbeciles?
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:20pm On Jan 29, 2017
Benita27:
They're called special kids and they have professionals whose job is to teach these kids.
There is a saying that "no matter how pikin be, him mama like am like that".
That statement doesn't apply to all parents, I've seen mother maltreat this kind of kids. While others dump them with their old mother in the village...
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:25pm On Jan 29, 2017
NotOfThis:
Why're you calling them imbeciles?

Imbeciles are people with moderate or severe intellectual disabilities, I'm not using it in a derogatory way. What do you feel is better to call them?
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by thorpido(m): 10:36pm On Jan 29, 2017
Peachess:

That's why it's better to do an ultrasound to detect abnormalities in the child. It's better not to bring them to this world instead of letting them suffer. I feel bad the way some people treat them and how they're discriminated.
If you do an ultrasound and you detect abnormalities,what would it be?Abortion?Some people do not support that.
Moreover,some of these abnormalities,especially intellectual disabilities are usually not picked up on ultrasounds.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by thorpido(m): 10:38pm On Jan 29, 2017
Peachess:

Imbeciles are people with moderate or severe intellectual disabilities, I'm not using it in a derogatory way. What do you feel is better to call them?
mentally challenged or children with intellectual challenges is better.

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
thorpido:
If you do an ultrasound and you detect abnormalities,what would it be?Abortion?Some people do not support that.
Moreover,some of these abnormalities,especially intellectual disabilities are usually not picked up on ultrasounds.
I did some research and I discovered some intellectual disabilities can be detected. I'm not a fan of abortion either but in this case, if she child is going to be maltreated and not giving the best care then I think abortion would be the best option.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:52pm On Jan 29, 2017
thorpido:
mentally challenged or children with intellectual challenges is better.
OK, thanks for the correction. I've changed it.

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2017
Peachess:

That statement doesn't apply to all parents, I've seen mother maltreat this kind of kids. While others dump them with their old mother in the village...
You haven't seen those mothers who still cherish their autistic kids?.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 1:25pm On Jan 30, 2017
Benita27:
You haven't seen those mothers who still cherish their autistic kids?.
Some do while some don't, that's why I said 'some'. My point is if you can't take care of them or love them the way you'll love normal kids... then don't bring them at all.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 30, 2017
Peachess:

Some do while some don't, that's why I said 'some'. My point is if you can't take care of them or love them the way you'll love normal kids... then don't bring them at all.
Are all normal kids loved?. grin
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:22pm On Jan 30, 2017
Peachess:

I did some research and I discovered some intellectual disabilities can be detected. I'm not a fan of abortion either but in this case, if she child is going to be maltreated and not giving the best care then I think abortion would be the best option.
I have a sister who's autistic and it's not easy at all.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 3:12pm On Jan 30, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

I have a sister who's autistic and it's not easy at all.
When I was still in KG there was this autistic kid in my school and I remembered how nobody wanted to play with her and I feel bad each time I think about it. I feel their pain that's why I feel sorry for them each time I see them. They don't treat them well here.

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2017
Benita27:
Are all normal kids loved?. grin
Not all normal kids are loved, that's why I feel some people shouldn't give birth at all if they can't treat them well
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2017
Peachess:

When I was still in KG there was this autistic kid in my school and I remembered how nobody wanted to play with her and I feel bad each time I think about it. I feel their pain that's why I feel sorry for them each time I see them. They don't treat them well here.
That's very true. I feel so much pain anytime I see my sister and know she will have to be dependent on others for life. Even in school, her teachers advised us to withdraw her and take her to learn a trade. People meant to help her.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by sunnymighty(m): 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2017
If U av a Child or a young adult with Special needs and U are in Lagos contact the Professionals on- 08060801000
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by sunnymighty(m): 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

That's very true. I feel so much pain anytime I see my sister and know she will have to be dependent on others for life. Even in school, her teachers advised us to withdraw her and take her to learn a trade. People meant to help her.

For more Enquiries PM or whatsapp me on 07087924283
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 30, 2017
Well, cos of technology, we can detect birth/child defects in early stages of pregnancy and abort if we don't want the stress.

The rate at which people give birth to 'special kids' this days is alarming. like seriously, what happened to the human race

I've known a few special needs kids (Particularly autistic) and it can be very very frustrating dealing with them. It requires a whole lot of patience.

Infact, with a particular kid, the mum is still in denial of her daughter's special needs. she makes up all sorts of excuses, (at some point I think she's just pretending not to know). luckily for them, they're rich, she's in one of those British schools and the little girl is brilliant - the girl can read what her mates can't. she's 4 years old and yes, she reads!!!
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 7:04pm On Jan 30, 2017
Joavid:
Well, cos of technology, we can detect birth/child defects in early stages of pregnancy and abort if we don't want the stress.

The rate at which people give birth to 'special kids' this days is alarming. like seriously, what happened to the human race

I've known a few special needs kids (Particularly autistic) and it can be very very frustrating dealing with them. It requires a whole lot of patience.

Infact, with a particular kid, the mum is still in denial of her daughter's special needs. she makes up all sorts of excuses, (at some point I think she's just pretending not to know). luckily for them, they're rich, she's in one of those British schools and the little girl is brilliant - the girl can read what her mates can't. she's 4 years old and yes, she reads!!!
That's my point, some people will tell you it's bad to do it but when they give birth to the kid, they start maltreating the kid like they made themselves that way.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 7:14pm On Jan 30, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

It must really be tough on you guys, and it's really nice you guys are taking care of her. Unlike a distant relation of mine who once had an a special kid(I dunno the type but I remember he couldn't walk, spittle dropping from his mouth, he had no control of himself... I was very little then, can't remember that much). His mum left him with the grandma but he didn't survive his sixth birthday.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:23pm On Jan 30, 2017
Peachess:

It must really be tough on you guys, and it's really nice you guys are taking care of her. Unlike a distant relation of mine who once had an a special kid(I dunno the type but I remember he couldn't walk, spittle dropping from his mouth, he had no control of himself... I was very little then, can't remember that much). His mum left him with the grandma but he didn't survive his sixth birthday.
But you know you can't detect autism during pregnancy and it's very difficult to manage in Africa.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:27pm On Jan 30, 2017
Peachess:

Autism is also difficult to detect during pregnancy and is hard to manage in Africa because of the high illiteracy level.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 8:44am On Jan 31, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Autism is also difficult to detect during pregnancy and is hard to manage in Africa because of the high illiteracy level.
tensazangetsu20:

But you know you can't detect autism during pregnancy and it's very difficult to manage in Africa.
Yeah, it's difficult cos professionals are not much here. I read hereditary, alcohol consumption and taking some kind of drugs can cause autism. I heard some people outgrow autism (very rare), I dunno if it's true tho...
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:05am On Jan 31, 2017
Peachess:

Yeah, it's difficult cos professionals are not much here. I read hereditary, alcohol consumption and taking some kind of drugs can cause autism. I heard some people outgrow autism (very rare), I dunno if it's true tho...
I tried sending you a PM but I don't think that feature is working.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by shaybebaby(f): 10:08am On Jan 31, 2017
As a mum to a child with autism, feel free to ask me anything. I don't know it all, still learning as he grows but can share my experience.

1 Like

Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:49am On Jan 31, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
I tried sending you a PM but I don't think that feature is working.
Check your mail, I just replied.
Re: How Do Parents Cope With Intellectually Impaired Kids by Peachess(f): 10:58am On Jan 31, 2017
shaybebaby:
As a mum to a child with autism, feel free to ask me anything. I don't know it all, still learning as he grows but can share my experience.
I'm a very curious person hope you don't mind tho. Did you discover it when he was still a baby? Is it hereditary one of the factors that causes autism?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Think I'm A Bad Person. Married Peeps Please Advice. / Lord! WHY DO Black People Have So Much Kids For? / Men And Marriage- Fathers' Day Reflection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.