Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,655 members, 7,813,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! (2522 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 02, 2009
Sweetheart you won't be a "changed" person for long. Once you have eaten the forbidden fruit there is no turning back. grin grin grin
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 9:36pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Sweetheart you won't be a "changed" person for long. Once you have eaten the forbidden fruit there is no turning back. grin grin grin

I reject it, is not my potion to go back to darkness again, Christ have giving me the grace and his grace is sufficient.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 02, 2009
banom:

I reject it, is not my potion to go back to darkness again, Christ have giving me the grace and his grace is sufficient.

But he didn't give you skills.

Come on fellow, we are the Enlightened. You can't eliminate your doubts just after a night. wink
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 9:41pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Come on fellow, we are the Enlightened. You can't eliminate your doubts just after a night. wink

it was a day that Christ saved the world.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 02, 2009
Refuse dogmatism. It is darkness.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 9:43pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Refuse dogmatism. It is darkness.

what dogma ?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 02, 2009
Christianity and any other form of spirituality are pure dogmatism. You are leaving an illusion. Wake up!
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 9:47pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Christianity and any other form of spirituality are pure dogmatism. You are leaving an illusion. Wake up!

hahaha, i think i am in a better position to tell which is illusion between Christianity and Atheism, meanwhile are you a christian or an Atheist ?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 02, 2009
I have changed my mind. Remain a Christian. grin
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by viaro: 9:48pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

And atheism is not dogma?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 02, 2009
Atheism is the negation of any form on dogmatism!
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by viaro: 9:52pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Nope, that is your atheism, not the atheism of other atheists who are as dogmatic about their own atheism to the exclusion of all other worldviews.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by MrCrackles(m): 9:52pm On Dec 02, 2009
Topic. . .
GBAM!!!!!!
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by manmustwac(m): 9:54pm On Dec 02, 2009
@post
thats what i used believe, how can a christian become an athiest then go back to christianity again? What are the odds on something happening in his life that'll make him go back to athiesm?

@banom
anyway i wish u all the best in your new belief system and i'll do my best to make sure your conversion topic gets on the homepage smiley
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 9:55pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

You make me laugh again though in my village style this time,

when you here words like conservatives, liberals , we tend to think that a liberal is an opposite of a conservative or extremist , forgetting that liberalism is another form of conservatism.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:57pm On Dec 02, 2009
I totally agree there is no going back the doubts will haunt you forever, unless you were never an atheist grin
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by viaro: 9:59pm On Dec 02, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

I totally agree there is no going back the doubts will haunt you forever, unless you were never an atheist grin

Not true. Are you trying to say that no atheist is known to have converted to any religion (not only Christianity)? What qualifies someone as "atheist" in such a way that conversion to any worldview other than atheism is [b]im[/b]possible?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 02, 2009
banom:

You make me laugh again though in my village style this time,

when you here words like conservatives, liberals , we tend to think that a liberal is an opposite of a conservative or extremist , forgetting that liberalism is another form of conservatism.

Maybe you mean democracy. Things are always different when considered in facts and in theory.

Speaking in theory, Atheism is meant to free your mind from any bond. You can't stop being one once you have been. I guess you were never an Atheist, because you'd know what I am talking about.  wink
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 10:00pm On Dec 02, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

I totally agree there is no going back the doubts will haunt you forever, unless you were never an atheist  grin

of course you are right, presently one of my greatest doubt is the story of the forbidding fruit and the fall of man, i find it very difficult to accept, but i hope God will help me in due time.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by viaro: 10:00pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Atheism is meant to free your mind from any bond. You can't stop being one once you have been. I guess you were never an Atheist, because you'd know what I am talking about.  wink

Could I also ask you the same questions as above? Here -

viaro:

Are you trying to say that no atheist is known to have converted to any religion (not only Christianity)?
viaro:
What qualifies someone as "atheist" in such a way that conversion to any worldview other than atheism is [b]im[/b]possible?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 02, 2009
You refuse to see the point. Atheism is not something, it's the negation of something. If I negate a being, it means it doesn't exist. You keep trying to identify it with an existing system of belief, which is wrong.

It's not a system, it is rather the absence of a system.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by banom(m): 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Maybe you mean democracy. Things are always different when considered in facts and in theory.

Speaking in theory, Atheism is meant to free your mind from any bond. You can't stop being one once you have been. I guess you were never an Atheist, because you'd know what I am talking about.  wink

sorry , can you give me a concise definition of what[b] freedom[/b] is   ?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 02, 2009
Why do I need to define it for you? It's something you live. Of didn't you feel free when you were or you thought you were an atheist?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by viaro: 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

You refuse to see the point. Atheism is not something, it's the negation of something. If I negate a being, it means it doesn't exist. You keep trying to identify it with an existing system of belief, which is wrong.

Again, you're wrong - for that up there is your own idea of atheism, which is not the atheism of many other atheists who hold their own atheism to the exclusion of all others.

Atheism is 'something', even though it portends to hold a 'negative' idea about another 'something'. If atheism (your own atheism) is not 'something', you would be least concerned about anyone who has been one, let alone your statement that "You can't stop being one once you have been" - how do people 'stop' being something that is not 'something'?

That was why I asked you directly: "Are you trying to say that no atheist is known to have converted to any religion (not only Christianity)?"

When you say that an atheist cannot stop being an atheist, it contradicts the fact on ground that many atheists have left atheism behind for their new found belief systems - religious or philosophical. That is fact, not fancy.

Secondly, since many atheists like to believe that an atheist cannot stop being one (even though that is so, so untrue), I wanted to know why you would repeatedly maintain that idea in the face of its fallacy. To which, my second question: "What qualifies someone as "atheist" in such a way that conversion to any worldview other than atheism is [b]im[/b]possible?"

It's not a system, it is rather the absence of a system.

Atheism is a system as much as any other worldview. This will become obvious in the course of the thread, and your subsequent answers to questions like the above.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 02, 2009
How am I wrong? I am not into any form of dogmatism, so I am perfectly in the position to give any interpretation according to my own experience. Saying I am wrong is absurd because there is no rule you can abide to to actually prove that I am wrong.

Secondly once someone has experienced the doubts, it is hard to go back. We aren't speaking about something physical, but spiritual, which makes it very difficult to go back to spiritual after you yourself has experienced its fallacy. Even Banom agreed that he has not fully accepted Christianity and still battles with certain episodes.

Atheism is the absence of a system and when you negate the spiritual, you hardly go back. Remember Cartesio? I guess you know how he ended. He wanted to start by negating everything and ended up being just half of what he actually is and that may also occur to Banom, if for real he was an Atheist, which I doubt.

Atheism is not skepticism or cynicism, so nothing stops you from embracing another religion after going through a period of NO dogmas. But you become extremely analytical and critical and your new faith had better been something with solid foundation.

I can's see an an Atheist who was once a Christian becoming a Muslim or a Jew. It's out right impossible. They can embrace a philosophy but never a spirituality.
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by viaro: 11:03pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

How am I wrong? I am not into any form of dogmatism, so I am perfectly in the position to give any interpretation according to my own experience.

Let me help: you are wrong. Again, you are wrong! How, you ask? For one, you're making a dogmatic statement repeatedly that flies in the face of the facts on ground. It is NOT TRUE that an atheist cannot stop being an atheist - which is as false as false can be. To help you see the fallacy in that statement was why I asked that question repeatedly: "Are you trying to say that no atheist is known to have converted to any religion (not only Christianity)?"

If you tell me that no atheist is known to have converted to any religion, then a second question becomes pertinent: "What qualifies someone as "atheist" in such a way that conversion to any worldview other than atheism is im[/b]possible?" Both questions are sequenced to help point you to the fallacy of your repeated assertion.

A second thing is that your reply confirms my point: when you say that you're giving 'any interpretation according to [b]my own
experience', is that not what I have often noted about "your own idea of atheism"? To remain in the cubicle of your own idea/experience(s) does not mean therefore that outside of that experience nothing else stands. In fact, when you do a little looking around, you find the world has moved on beyond your own ideas about what you are trying to make out of atheism; and to repeatedly maintain that attitude of 'your own' idea/experience(s) is as dogmatic as you allege in others.

Saying I am wrong is absurd because there is no rule you can abide to to actually prove that I am wrong.

You're wrong - that is not absurd; and I just explained above. There is actually a rule beyond "your own"; and to clap about 'your own' in the face of others is dogmatic.

Secondly once someone has experienced the doubts, it is hard to go back. We aren't speaking about something physical, but spiritual, which makes it very difficult to go back to spiritual after you yourself has experienced its fallacy.

Don't make me laugh! grin
What does your own atheism know as "spiritual"? How do you 'experience' between the two (physical and spiritual) in order to qualify your own atheism as different from the atheism of others? Difficult to go back to the spiritual, you say? That is only to be considered for discussion when and only when you can explicate between the spiritual and the physical - otherwise, it were better that you don't use words carelessly around in your posts.

However, if I'm not preempting anything here, let me point out that I'm already aware of several positions of atheists who see themselves as Spiritual Atheists (SA). Here are just two among the many different shades of this 'SA's -

[list](1) There is no consensus among Spiritual Atheists regarding the literal existence of one's own "spirit" or a collective "spirit"; however, there is consensus that if any "spirit" does exist, it is not external to the universe and it is not "supernatural".
http://www.spiritualatheism.com/[/list]

[list](2) Spiritual Atheism is the absence of belief in the existence of "God", defined as an entity external to the universe that created and rules the universe; but the presence of belief in the existence of "God", defined as the personification of the universe itself.
http://wikibin.org/articles/spiritual-atheism.html[/list]

While the first acknowledges that there is no concensus among SAs, the second, however, distinguishes itself from "traditional atheism" (as I noted earlier between different types of atheism, like your own as distinct from those of other atheists) - and then goes on to highlight a few systems considered as "spiritual atheism" -

[list]The following spiritual philosophies are generally considered to be part of the Spiritual Atheism family:

*Buddhism
       *Non-literal Christianity (also known as Esoteric Christianity)
       *Non-literal Islam (also known as Esoteric Islam)
       *Non-literal Judaism (also known as Esoteric Judaism)
       *Non-literal Theism (also known as Esoteric Theism)
       *Hinduism
       *New Age
       *Paganism
       *Pantheism
       *Panentheism
       *Spiritual Humanism
       *Spiritual Naturalism
       *Taoism
       *Wicca[/list]

Which one do you identify with? And if you cross out all the above and more, does your own atheism mean the very same thing as other atheists' atheism?

Even Banom agreed that he has not fully accepted Christianity and still battles with certain episodes.

I don't see how banom was saying the same thing as your assertion that an atheist cannot but remain an atheist.

Atheism is the absence of a system and when you negate the spiritual, you hardly go back.

Excuse me? Lol, let me just allow you to hold your very limited view - as it is way too off the curve from what atheism is to many other atheists. Wnat more - I can post loads for your consideration.

Remember Cartesio? I guess you know how he ended. He wanted to start by negating everything and ended up being just half of what he actually is and that may also occur to Banom, if for real he was an Atheist, which I doubt.

I remeber Cartesio; but I don't see how that name is the cut-and-dry mold into which every atheist must be cast to qualify as atheists through history. Nor do I see how Banom is trying to negate everything and end up negating himself, lol.

Atheism is not skepticism or cynicism, so nothing stops you from embracing another religion after going through a period of NO dogmas. But you become extremely analytical and critical and your new faith had better been something with solid foundation.

People who leave atheism behind have their reasons for doing so - and atheists who are far too concerned thereto have been very cynical, not to mention a die-hard skepticism that they bind on themselves. It is the dogmatism of these latter that I'm asking again that you consider.

I can's see an an Atheist who was once a Christian becoming a Muslim or a Jew. It's out right impossible. They can embrace a philosophy but never a spirituality.

I'm not asking you about multi-level conversions and deconversions; but simply: "Are you trying to say that no atheist is known to have converted to any religion (not only Christianity)?"
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

When will you atheists stop living in your delusions? No seriously you are "enlightened" about what?
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 02, 2009
Hello my honey pie!! Missed you! kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 02, 2009
michelin89:

Hello my honey pie!! Missed you! kiss kiss kiss kiss

shocked grin kiss kiss
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:31pm On Dec 02, 2009
[size=13pt]Banom nor try at all. . . . . . . sad

Just see what i mean he choose to be an atheist because of the accident of his dad but i wasn't really an atheist and only claim to be one. . . i think couple of weeks ego some so called God worshippers must have bribe him to re-save the death Jesus the jewish guy and he simply nod his head like a kid to their demand. . .well, i wish him the best of luck on his new path but hope he realise what he's doing before it gets too late.
[/size]
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by mantraa: 3:26am On Dec 03, 2009
When we were very young we used to believe in father christmas. When we learned to think rationally we stopped believing it. How can one decide to go back to believing it again after discovering to truth that it was all lies. You need to face reality, you cannot return to the ignorant bliss of childhood. You might try but i think that one day soon you will become a born again atheist!
Re: Banom: Once An Atheist, Always An Atheist! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:43am On Dec 03, 2009
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I'm 83 And I'm Tired-bill Cosby / Blw International Day Of Service / Is Trinity Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.