Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… (54440 Views)

Charity Nnaji Mocks Mompha As EFCC Arrest Him After He Disgraced Her For Begging / Update On Bobrisky Arrest, Toyin Lawani Didn’t Arrest Him (Details) / Freeze Reacts To Suleman's Statement That There'll Be Damages If DSS Arrest Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by ipreach: 9:52am On Feb 03, 2017
2face Idibia’s Planned Protest: We ‘ll Arrest Him, If… – Police

ABUJA—The Nigerian Police, yesterday, said it would not allow the anti-government protest planned by popular music star, Innocent Idibia, (2Face Idibia) to hold in Lagos, just as Ekiti State Governor and Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Governors Forum, Mr Ayodele Fayose; lawyer and human rights activist, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa; among other Nigerians, insisted that Nigerians have a right to freedom of expression.

The popular Afro-Pop artiste, 2Face Idibia, had earlier in the week, called for the support of his fans and colleagues via his social media platforms to join his march against the crippling economic state of the nation. The protest is slated for February 6, 2017.

In a video posted on his Facebook account on Tuesday, 2Face urged Nigerians to come out in a “peaceful and articulate manner” for the march, adding that “the need for urgent solutions to the challenges facing Nigerians has become very clear. Things are not getting better for the majority, we are still where we are, poor and desperate. I will no longer be quiet.”

The group coordinating the protest, @EiENigeria, wrote in its Twitter handle: “In view of the latest police update, how do we proceed with the march? Protest continues as planned. #IStandWiithNigeria.

Our leaders owe us their ears too and they must hear us. This march is about connecting the government with the citizens.”

We ‘ll arrest him, if… —Police

But the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, said the command will not let the protest hold in the metropolis. Owoseni said intelligence reports indicates that criminals might hijack the process to wreak havoc in Lagos.

He said: “Information reaching us revealed that some hoodlums are planning to hijack the peaceful protest and at such, we won’t allow it to hold in Lagos. We know that Tuface does not have the capacity to contain such a crowd and we will not fold our hands and watch while things go out of hand,” Owoseni said.

According to him, “no matter how good an intention is, hoodlums would always find a way to harass, rob and attack innocent members of the public who may wish to go about their lawful duties.

Owoseni had earlier said, the protest planners have not officially notified the police of their plan, stressing that the police encourage civil society groups to inform the force anytime they want to stage a protest because of their safety and that of others, as hoodlums seize such medium to perpetrate evil. The Police, however, threatened to arrest the singer if he dares hold the protest.

Fayose, Adegboruwa react

Reacting to Owoseni’s position, Governor Fayose reminded the commissioner that “the duty of the police to secure Nigerians is mandatory, not optional. Therefore, if there is any intelligence report suggesting the possibility of criminals hijacking the process, it is the duty of the police to provide security cover for the protesters.”

In a statement by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Governor Fayose noted that the All Progressives Congress, APC-led Federal Government must be made to understand that leadership is about accountability and to be accountable, leaders must listen to public opinion either by civil or peaceful protest.”

Fayose continuing, said: “Court of Appeal affirmed in its judgment in Inspector General of Police Vs All Nigerians Peoples Party that protest or gathering do not require police permit or interference as obtainable in an advanced democracy.

“Most importantly, the protest is said to be for and about good governance. So who is afraid of the protest? Who does the police represent or is representing in this issue?” Justifying the protest, the governor said: “Nigerians are hungry and angry, our currency is now above N500 to $1. If Nigerians want to show their anger, no one should prevent them. Nepotism, extra judicial killings, disobedience to court order and human rights abuses must stop.

“The conscience is an open wound and the guilty is afraid. If the APC-led Federal Government is now acting as if the protest is against it, it means the federal government has accepted to be guilty as charged. Like I said before, I support the protest.

Also, lawyer and human rights activist, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa called the bluff of the Police Commissioner, asking him to get a copy of the Nigerian constitution to guide his actions instead of threatening to cut short the wishes of the masses.

This is also as Niger Delta ex militants have pledged support to the protest, saying it is the best way to go. The ex militants vowed to heed the 2Face call for peaceful protest if it would call the attention of the government to the plight of Nigerians.

Adegboruwa said: “I have read reports credited to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police declaring that the rally slated for Lagos on Monday February 6, 2017, will not hold. I consider this to be an attempt to intimidate those who wish to partake in the rally, otherwise it cannot be a message for us veterans and indeed the deprived, oppressed and hungry people of Nigeria.

“For the information of the Police Commissioner, Nigeria is a democratic country governed strictly in accordance with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution. Section 39 of the Constitution grants freedom of expression, including the right to be heard and to disseminate information and ideas. Section 40 grants the right to associate and gather together. Section 38 grants the right to freedom of movement and peaceful assembly. I believe that Mr Fatai Owoseni has a copy of the Constitution, to guide his actions and utterances on this matter, instead of threatening 2Baba and law abiding citizens, who are responsible for his salary.”

He reminded Owoseni that the issue of police permit for citizens to gather freely expired with the coming into force of the 1999 Constitution and that hinging on it to deny people right to gather was like going back to the military era of shutting up citizens from legitimate expressions.

“I therefore, urge the good people of Nigeria, especially those who reside in Lagos, to join us en mass at Ikeja, for the rally on February 6, 2017. We cannot be intimidated in our own country, by the same people who are paid to protect us.

“This is not a rally by miscreants or thugs as to warrant the fears being expressed by the police commissioner. The statutory duty of the police is to offer us protection on Monday and help to maintain orderliness, throughout the period of the rally.

So come rain or shine, we shall hold the rally on Monday, as scheduled, because it is illegal for the police to seek to ban a lawful assembly,” Adegboruwa added.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/well-stop-2face-idibias-planned-protest/

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by PeaceGord: 9:55am On Feb 03, 2017
Buhari is simply a tyrannical fool

392 Likes 26 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by SubtleFRED(m): 9:57am On Feb 03, 2017
Police are all mad. How would you be denying someone the right to protest in a democratic country? They should be planning on how to try and make the protest safe and non-violent they are planning on making a fool of themselves by trying to stop the protest entirely. They should be careful lest the people rise against the government and they stain our streets with blood.

On the other hand,I pity 2baba if this protest is hijacked by hoodlums.

But since police don vex me by displaying sheer stupidity, #Istandwith2baba now angry

319 Likes 20 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by EternalTruths: 9:58am On Feb 03, 2017
Afonjas good morning

If mere protest is discouraged by APC, I wonder how the votes of Afonjas will count in 2019 grin

273 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by sarrki(m): 10:00am On Feb 03, 2017
Arrest him if he disturb the public peace
.if he constitute nuisance to the public

Having said that he should be allowed to express his fundamental rights.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 10:02am On Feb 03, 2017
Buhari is a use less man sad

181 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by sarrki(m): 10:04am On Feb 03, 2017
BUHARIISCURSED:
Buhari is a use less man sad

Check your multi vibrator link

I think it's faulty

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by MadeInTokyo: 10:05am On Feb 03, 2017
grin grin grin

I can now finally agree with Igbos that Nigeria is indeed a Zoo.

Buhari the stark illiterate remains the first and only Head of State to lead Nigeria into two different recessions at two different terms as Head of State.

I and my family Stand with Tuface

Thunder fire Buhari, the Nigeria police force and the Federal Government ---- DSS, Police and Nigeria Army can quote me.

290 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:06am On Feb 03, 2017
sarrki:
Arrest him if he disturb the public peace
.if he constitute nuisance to the public

Having said that he should be allowed to express his fundamental rights.
Arresting him won't solve a thing. The appropriate thing to do is to allow him hold his protest while providing security to check activities of hoodlums.

NB: I am not for or against his protest, this is because I consider it to lack objective and focus. However, I wish them well

11 Likes

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by ddippset(m): 10:09am On Feb 03, 2017
Very good. Arrest him and throw his idoma asss in cell if he tries anything. After chopping from the pdp government he has suddenly discovered his human right and good governance credentials. He's messing with the federal government here, this aint no plantashun boys beef.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Joephat(m): 10:15am On Feb 03, 2017
if he goes down, we will all go downnn.

#Istandwith2baba.

167 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Anago5000: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Arresting him won't solve a thing. The appropriate thing to do is to allow him hold his protest while providing security to check activities of hoodlums.

NB: I am not for or against his protest, this is because I consider it to lack objective and focus. However, I wish them well
Ogbeni Tonye.Have you ever stood for a thing? look how messed up ur life have become.damn you

338 Likes 26 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 03, 2017
Arrest him and make him a bigger hero

206 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by luckyz4rea(m): 10:34am On Feb 03, 2017
When did Nigerian Police start securing/protecting the lives of citizens? Their staff are in all parts of Nigeria abusing and misusing their offices yet they are not called to order!

Oga you can't stop any protest because you've not given us the real reason why you don't want the protest to hold!

Mention the hoodlums or whoever that you know will hijack or use the protest as an avenue to cause havoc cause your basis for halting of the protest can't hold a candle and can't stand the test of Nigerian time not to talk of the time of the western countries!

Even on the day of Trump's swearing in people protested in the USA, how much more when government's policy isn't causing any positive change in the life of the masses!

If 2face isn't using the protest for his own selfish whim but for all citizens then it is worth more than having a kind of government where criminals are confidently stealing and mismanaging the mass' resources without punishment despite the level of poverty known not only to us but the world.

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Annie939(f): 10:36am On Feb 03, 2017
okay
Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by slimghost(m): 10:50am On Feb 03, 2017
Anago5000:
Ogbeni Tonye.Have you ever stood for a thing? look how messed up ur life have become.damn you

lol. You know the clown too well.

181 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 03, 2017
SubtleFRED:
Police are all mad. How would you be denying someone the right to protest in a democratic country? They should be planning on how to try and make the protest safe and non-violent they are planning on making a fool of themselves by trying to stop the protest entirely. They should be careful lest the people rise against the government and they stain our streets with blood.

On the other hand,I pity 2baba if this protest is hijacked by hoodlums.

But since police don vex me by displaying sheer stupidity, #Istandwith2baba now angry
The police is trying to display ineptitude by saying hoodlums will take over the protest.Why is there police in the first place?

109 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by madridguy(m): 11:20am On Feb 03, 2017
Injustice. Freedom of expression is allowed.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Nbote(m): 11:21am On Feb 03, 2017
Anago5000:

Dats cos he's a hypocritical coward who would rather sit dan stand...

143 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by SubtleFRED(m): 11:22am On Feb 03, 2017
Love Machine:
The police is trying to display ineptitude by saying hoodlums with take over the protest.Why is there police in the first place?
I tire ooo
They should be the ones putting all hands in deck to make sure it isn't hijacked by hoodlums but they know they are incompetent and unfit and the only way to hide it is by stopping/preventing the protest.

They are even the hoodlums robbing some areas sef.
Thunder fire them!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by SIRmanjar(m): 11:34am On Feb 03, 2017
ddippset:
Very good. Arrest him and throw his idoma asss in cell if he tries anything. After chopping from the pdp government he has suddenly discovered his human right and good governance credentials. He's messing with the federal government here, this aint no plantashun boys beef.
Wot did u sniff?Ar u ok

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by masseratti: 11:37am On Feb 03, 2017
If the cp can't stop hoodlums from hijacking the protest/march he should resign please, its not by force to be a commisioner of police.

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by kingsamosy(m): 11:41am On Feb 03, 2017
our leaders are our greatest problem is this country

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by kingdompropty: 11:43am On Feb 03, 2017
Arrest taya. The police keep encouraging more of more youth to join in the protest. grin

I am gonna be there live.....

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Kemperor: 11:43am On Feb 03, 2017
We must protest where dem lik am or not...
Told ya all dat dis is a regime...

11 Likes

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Abudu2000(m): 12:38pm On Feb 03, 2017
then they will have to arrest us all coz non of these is gonna make us scared, we coming out doesn't mean we can handle our affairs in fact, 2face is rich enough to afford anything he wants but it makes me sick that the same people he is tryna fight for are the same people who see him as evil and selfish,when will Nigerias rise above their fears

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Bitterleafsoup: 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2017
Leaders are a reflection of the people they lead. CHANGE our LEADERS not RECYCLE.
#enoughisenough
#NIGERIAFIRST

8 Likes

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Bitterleafsoup: 1:07pm On Feb 03, 2017
madridguy:
Injustice. Freedom of expression is allowed.
shocked

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Bitterleafsoup: 1:11pm On Feb 03, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Lack objective?
The objective is to practice democracy at any level. This is how every movement starts. That is the focus, to start a movement to put #NIGERIAFIRST
#enoughisenough

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:13pm On Feb 03, 2017
Bitterleafsoup:

Lack objective?
The objective is to practice democracy at any level. This is how every movement starts. That is the focus, to start a movement to put #NIGERIAFIRST
For real?
Re: 2face Idibia’s Protest: Police To Arrest Him, If… by Omenkata: 1:14pm On Feb 03, 2017
Anago5000:
omo see finishing
it's like i dey learn work from you guy's hand ooo

Tonyebarcanista my boy see ya laifu grin

69 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

DJ Cuppy Supports Her Fiance As He Opens An Auto Shop / Regina Daniels And IK Ogbonna Hang Out Together / Portable Incorporates His Brand, 'Zeh Nation' (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.