Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. (943 Views)

Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. / 'Nigeria Shakira' Blasted For Promoting 'Half Caste Cream' By Dancing In Panties / Facebook Love Leads To Marriage (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by okekekelechib(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2017
The word ÒSÚ is an Ibo word for OUTCAST. This particular word has caused so many problems in the east due to some beliefs. No relationship can lead to marriage without the questions like; (1) Who is she/he?
(2) Where does she/he comes from?
(3) I hope she/he is not òsú?
Sometimes i wonder why Africans discriminate themselves, yet we call the Whites racists. If a Dìàlà cant marry an ÒSÚ. You even see this thing among christian brothers and sisters yet we preach one love.
Does been òsú or dìàlà a basis for a successful home?
This word has done some many harms in families, relationships, and marriages.
Can u marry an ÒSÚ?

1 Like

Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by wHyyyyyyyyyY: 1:33pm On Feb 05, 2017
Hm
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by younghartz(m): 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2017
Hmmm

How can someone describe osu?
like what makes them being called osu?
if there is no harm that will befall me after marriage then I'd marry her

1 Like

Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 05, 2017
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by annayawchee: 2:00pm On Feb 05, 2017
The osu ish is no longer practised in almost all the communities in igboland... Civilization ti take over.... Proudly Nwa afo Imo
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by subtlemee(f): 2:04pm On Feb 05, 2017
I hear of this thing everytime though I'm not Igbo please what's the history and how did it originate?
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by annayawchee: 2:07pm On Feb 05, 2017
subtlemee:
I hear of this thing everytime though I'm not Igbo please what's the history and how did it originate?
in the days of our forefathers, the 'osus' are people dedicated to the gods.
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by Alexk2(m): 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2017
okekekelechib:
The word ÒSÚ is an Ibo word for OUTCAST. This particular word has caused so many problems in the east due to some beliefs. No relationship can lead to marriage without the questions like; (1) Who is she/he?
(2) Where does she/he comes from?
(3) I hope she/he is not òsú?
Sometimes i wonder why Africans discriminate themselves, yet we call the Whites racists. If a Dìàlà cant marry an ÒSÚ. You even see this thing among christian brothers and sisters yet we preach one love.
Does been òsú or dìàlà a basis for a successful home?
This word has done some many harms in families, relationships, and marriages.
Can u marry an ÒSÚ?
That concept only exist in the subconscious of the real illiterates. How can you call someone OSU, cast or half cast and in some other places "slaves" just because of the history you're told? It's even more shameful that some Christians are holding to such beliefs and practices at the expense of biblical injunctions.
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by subtlemee(f): 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2017
annayawchee:
in the days of our forefathers, the 'osus' are people dedicated to the gods.

Okaaaaaaay..but how were they grouped to still be identified till now
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by Nwaonyeocha: 3:40pm On Feb 05, 2017
How I wish what you said here is true.

OSU is real and being propagated by many kindred in Igboland. Infact, only a negligible few kindred have succeeded in abolishing it for real. unfortunately, christianity has been dealt with via OSU related issues. They will always tell you that the Rev. Fr, have no wife or in-law thus they cannot legislate in such matters.
Personally, I was delayed due to this in my marriage. Two wonderful ladies I meet years back were rejected by my family owing to this OSU stuff.
I love this topic and I can add much information to it.

Alexk2:

That concept only exist in the subconscious of the real illiterates. How can you call someone OSU, cast or half cast and in some other places "slaves" just because of the history you're told? It's even more shameful that some Christians are holding to such beliefs and practices at the expense of biblical injunctions.

1 Like

Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by Alexk2(m): 4:15pm On Feb 05, 2017
Nwaonyeocha:
How I wish what you said here is true.

OSU is real and being propagated by many kindred in Igboland. Infact, only a negligible few kindred have succeeded in abolishing it for real. unfortunately, christianity has been dealt with via OSU related issues. They will always tell you that the Rev. Fr, have no wife or in-law thus they cannot legislate in such matters.
Personally, I was delayed due to this in my marriage. Two wonderful ladies I meet years back were rejected by my family owing to this OSU stuff.
I love this topic and I can add much information to it.

Truth is, it's only ignorant that'll make people call and treat someone as an OSU....that's why I said it's illiterates that act like that. Note that illiteracy isn't a function of academic qualifications and achievements, rather it is a thing of the mind.
Let's look at it this way, what makes us better than those people classified as OSU? The story of OSU itself is a history we all should be ashamed to tell cause it's inhumane and arguably worse than slavery. All clans, tribes and ethnic groups in Nigeria have similar historical records and that don't make us less human or subhuman.

As far as i'm concerned, I don't care is she's an OSU, half cast of former slave and I'm not even interested in knowing....as far as she's my taste, we're good to go!

1 Like

Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by okekekelechib(m): 4:30pm On Feb 05, 2017
This tin is a problem to igbos n need to b tackled once n for all. If e neva happen to u, u no go knw. A man lost his gal cus she was tagged half osu; ie mom was osu but dad was not.
Re: ÒSÚ Caste System; A Barrier To Marriage. by chiozor: 5:20pm On Feb 05, 2017
[quote author=Alexk2 post=53441960]

Truth is, it's only ignorant that'll make people call and treat someone as an OSU....that's why I said it's illiterates that act like that. Note that illiteracy isn't a function of academic qualifications and achievements, rather it is a thing of the mind.
Let's look at it this way, what makes us better than those people classified as OSU? The story of OSU itself is a history we all should be ashamed to tell cause it's inhumane and arguably worse than slavery. All clans, tribes and ethnic groups in Nigeria have similar historical records and that don't make us less human or subhuman.

As far as i'm concerned, I don't care is she's an OSU, half cast of former slave and I'm not even interested in knowing....as far as she's my taste, we're good to go! [/quote. ^^^^are you married?when times comes you will not have the mouth,if she is osu. You either go alone and marry her or get new girl as you will advised. It is really strong in igboland

(1) (Reply)

Valentine Outing Gone Wrong... / Insanity Or Good Innovation (photo)?? /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.