Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1989918 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2017
Mcowubaba:

Nice videos.. But there is no absolute/definite guideline for settlement for immigrants, when you get there, with time you'll adjust properly.
Videos like this just assist you in understanding the whole process

Yes it's not meant to be an absolute guideline. Just to highlight some key things especially the soft skills and communication bit. Hadn't heard anyone talk about that anywhere before.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 10:16pm On Jul 10, 2017
czaratwork:
is it my email i am to check or where? i am not used to private chat on nairaland. i have 3 i have not been able to check

When you get the notification in the email you used to register, respond with yes or whatever you want and the person will be able to send you emails which you can respond to.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 12:03am On Jul 11, 2017
@Blackbuddy: Please check your mail.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Osemigho: 3:40am On Jul 11, 2017
wengerly:

Hello Osemigho, have you gotten Calgary contact?

Yes. But still looking for more.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 4:27am On Jul 11, 2017
Gymme:
Most foreign doctors start with 'care jobs' which is closer to their profession while they write their MCC exams. If you've got atleast 2 years of independent practice and written MCCEE, you 'may' get a job in BC. There is currently a program for that.

You could also apply to be a Clinical Trainee being supervised by a physician but NO PAY just the clinical experience which will give you upper hand over other candidates, say, you want to apply for residency.

Gymme, thanks for these infos, am also trying to get reliable info about these care jobs! I think it's better a doctor attempts some related healthcare job than working in McDonald's.... grin

Apart from saskatchwean and bc, are you aware of any other provinces which favour doctors? Right now, i am not a big fan of settling in big cities but just where I can easily get a good care job and also find a good medical pathway, write my exams and make progress!.....if not I have a family in Toronto but that's not, what is doing me now...lol

Btw are you practising now in canada?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 4:34am On Jul 11, 2017
Babachi:

Thanks vcole would keep in touch when I do land. From my search on carms I believe its only 2 exams for residency. Mccee and NAC. I don't even mind starting off as a physician assistant just that I read for Ontario you ll need to attend a 2yr program before you are eligible for certification.

Yeah I realised even some of these assistant jobs need some certifications!! It is well!

Ps, i sent you mail!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 4:38am On Jul 11, 2017
vcole:
@babachi, you may wanna hold off on registering for any exams until you land. There is a possibility of a review which would reduce the exams to 2 instead of 3 starting from next year. Well, as I am sure you already know, no license means no doctor job. There are physician assistant/clinical assistant jobs but you need a certification for that which you would pay for and in the grand scheme of things you may not wanna do that. There are also medical assistant jobs....like office assistant for a clinic, pays well but you need certification too. Bottom line is to get any job that pays okay and then work on your licensing exams or going back to school, etc etc. Please bear in mind that it may take you anywhere between 12-24 months to get licensed....

I wonder which would pay off better, getting a medical related certification first? or going to school while making efforts at Medical exams and licence.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 5:47am On Jul 11, 2017
Blackbuddy:

An interesting topic. Hope my 2 cents above helps someone out.
very insightful post u made up dere, nice one!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wengerly(m): 7:17am On Jul 11, 2017
Osemigho:

Yes. But still looking for more.

Ok, if you need more information, you can send me a mail with a number and best time I can call you.

Mail: qualityhair99@gmail.com.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 11:59am On Jul 11, 2017
Principessa0:
Hello all,
I work in Canada. I would like to send money to my family back home. What method do you guys use to send money to loved ones back home? At least some method with better exchange rate. Btw, I live in British Columbia.
Thank you.

We can Talk.
You credit me Canada Account, I credit your "loved ones" Naira.
Let us agree rates.
Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Principessa0: 3:29pm On Jul 11, 2017
dustydee:

Try transferboss.

Thank you. I'll check them out.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Principessa0: 3:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
Fusion23:

Money Tangle

http://www.moneytangle.ca/

there is also world remit but the rate is a bit lower
Thank you. I will check it out.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tripleace(m): 10:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
To all who have contributed, I am filled with so much gratitude for expirence you have selflessly poured out, God bless you all.
To call you Gurus, is an understatement, you are more that Gurus. Thank you once again.

I notice two thing by ready from the first page to the last that:
1. Not so much has been said about Winnipeg Manitoba as compared to other province. Could anyone please open up the needful as regards this province?

2. What is the prospect for an Agribusiness Consultant with about 14 years work experience, with a first Degree in Botany, Post Graduate In Crop Protection and MBA In Agribusiness (all degrees obtained in Nigeria)? Taking into perspective that Certification and work experience in Canada are prioritised over and above degrees not obtained in Canada?

3. Where would be the best province to settle as per job/business opportunities with someone in the Agricultural Sector?

Is their anyone living in Manitoba with useful information on the above?

What is the agricultural industry like in Winnipeg Manitoba?

Do you need to be certified? And what type of certification would be best?

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2017
tripleace:
To all who have contributed, I am filled with so much gratitude for expirence you have selflessly poured out, God bless you all.
To call you Gurus, is an understatement, you are more that Gurus. Thank you once again.

I notice two thing by ready from the first page to the last that:
1. Not so much has been said about Winnipeg Manitoba as compared to other province. Could anyone please open up the needful as regards this province?

2. What is the prospect for an Agribusiness Consultant with about 14 years work experience, with a first Degree in Botany, Post Graduate In Crop Protection and MBA In Agribusiness (all degrees obtained in Nigeria)? Taking into perspective that Certification and work experience in Canada are prioritised over and above degrees not obtained in Canada?

3. Where would be the best province to settle as per job/business opportunities with someone in the Agricultural Sector?

Is their anyone living in Manitoba with useful information on the above?

What is the agricultural industry like in Winnipeg Manitoba?

Do you need to be certified? And what type of certification would be best?

Thank you.

Bro, I see you've been on this for about 2 weeks with no response. I guess not many or no-one here might be able to give you the info you need. I did a Google search on Agriculture in Canada and came up with this link which could be a starting point for your study and further research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Canada
Cheers and all the best!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 10:48am On Jul 12, 2017
I was told by a friend that his friend was turned down on his way to boarding to Canada because he had one way ticket, this kind of embarrassment should not happen to someone relocating. the agency that bought my ticket is travelpaddy.com. i recommend them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 1:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
czaratwork:
I was told by a friend that his friend was turned down on his way to boarding to Canada because he had one way ticket, this kind of embarrassment should not happen to someone relocating. the agency that bought my ticket is travelpaddy.com. i recommend them.

You are relocating. Thus you can travel with a one way ticket. People need to know their stuffs if not this airliners will tell you crap.
I was travelling to SA last week and the lady was asking for proof of funds. I told her bluntly. It is not your business. I have my Cards and Credit cards, so I do not need to travel with cash. When she saw I was grandstanding she just free the matter whereas another colleague Husband was told to go back to the bank to bring the cash of 3k USD he claims to have, he went (as a gentle guy) before he came back, they said they had closed checking in. He spent another 70k changing the ticket to SA. bottom line, don't let them tell you crap.
Moreso, when I was going to land in January, they asked to see ticket to ensure it is return, but when they saw the type of Visa that it was COPR - they said they don't need it to be a return ticket.
Bottomline, don't take BS from people who don't even know their left from their right.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Topmag: 4:15pm On Jul 12, 2017
[quote author=vcole post=56780967]Thanks y'all. -[/quot

@vcole, please if one gets pregnant after submitting application, do I have to inform IRCC or wait till passport is requested.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 5:08pm On Jul 12, 2017
Babachi and Jugzy any update?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2017
Please you are not the only sharp guy in Nigeria. I heard the gist of my friend's friend being turned back (probably he did not show them his visa before payment) before booking for my ticket and when they got back to me that there is a new developement, that they need to sight my visa before accepting their payment i was not surprised. meanwhile this information is for green horns like me not for sharp guys.
Ballerz:

You are relocating. Thus you can travel with a one way ticket. People need to know their stuffs if not this airliners will tell you crap.
I was travelling to SA last week and the lady was asking for proof of funds. I told her bluntly. It is not your business. I have my Cards and Credit cards, so I do not need to travel with cash. When she saw I was grandstanding she just free the matter whereas another colleague Husband was told to go back to the bank to bring the cash of 3k USD he claims to have, he went (as a gentle guy) before he came back, they said they had closed checking in. He spent another 70k changing the ticket to SA. bottom line, don't let them tell you crap.
Moreso, when I was going to land in January, they asked to see ticket to ensure it is return, but when they saw the type of Visa that it was COPR - they said they don't need it to be a return ticket.
Bottomline, don't take BS from people who don't even know their left from their right.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 6:23pm On Jul 12, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:
Nothing oh! Waiting for you since you submitted before me. Will inform the house of any update
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 6:26pm On Jul 12, 2017
Please do we qualify for personal travel allowance after getting COPR and buying a one way ticket
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2017
Babachi:
Please do we qualify for personal travel allowance after getting COPR and buying a one way ticket

Some banks, not all will honor your request for PTA based on your COPR. Others will insist on seeing a return ticket so you might want to shop around to see which will be favorable to you and also consider black market if you're buying a large quantity of FX.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Some banks, not all will honor your request for PTA based on your COPR. Others will insist on seeing a return ticket so you might want to shop around to see which will be favorable to you and also consider black market if you're buying a large quantity of FX.

You are right sir, in March even with my PR Card, I wanted to buy PTA, I wasn't given with a one way ticket, so you need to know which bank truly honours PTA on a one way ticket, even with the immigrant visa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
Hloo.... Gud evening house, I will like to travel and work in Canada, but am currently in Nigeria.... pls can I apply for job online?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 8:30pm On Jul 12, 2017
Surdycole2:
Hloo.... Gud evening house, I will like to travel and work in Canada, but am currently in Nigeria.... pls can I apply for job online?

You can certainly try but until you have evidence of legal right to remain in Canada, the process might be a waste of your time. This is because it is an expensive and lengthy process for Canadian employers to apply for LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment in order to bring in a worker from outside. They have to prove that they could not find anybody in the whole of Canada to do the job that they want to bring in a foreigner for. Canadian employers prefer to just hire someone who has the right to remain here or is a citizen and there are thousands of such people already in Canada with more coming in daily. It is not impossible if you can find a willing employer and you have a unique set of skills and qualifications like nuclear physics or brain surgery, etc but if you're like most of us that have commonplace work experiences, you're better of applying first for a Permanent Resident visa and then looking for work accordingly. I suggest you go to the first page of this thread (https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled) and learn what you need to do to get a PR visa, all the best.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2017
Blackbuddy:

@Blackbuddy: Please can you check your email
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 8:38pm On Jul 12, 2017
amindondee:

@Blackbuddy: Please can you check your email

Hello @amindondee, I'll try to assess the email account I have for nairaland. I don't use it often but hope to revert to you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
Blackbuddy:

You can certainly try but until you have evidence of legal right to remain in Canada, the process might be a waste of your time. This is because it is an expensive and lengthy process for Canadian employers to apply for LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment in order to bring in a worker from outside. They have to prove that they could not find anybody in the whole of Canada to do the job that they want to bring in a foreigner for. Canadian employers prefer to just hire someone who has the right to remain here or is a citizen and there are thousands of such people already in Canada with more coming in daily. It is not impossible if you can find a willing employer and you have a unique set of skills and qualifications like nuclear physics or brain surgery, etc but if you're like most of us that have commonplace work experiences, you're better of applying first for a Permanent Resident visa and then looking for work accordingly. I suggest you go to the first page of this thread and learn what you need to do to get a PR visa, all the best.

Thanks for the quick response.....I really appreciate that a lot's, after granting me PR visa, probably getting job.... hope I won't come back to Nigeria to come and apply for working visa again?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 8:41pm On Jul 12, 2017
Surdycole2:

Thanks for the quick response.....I really appreciate that a lot's, after granting me PR visa, probably getting job.... hope I won't come back to Nigeria to come and apply for working visa again?

With a PR visa, you are free to pursue work opportunities and live in Canada. You don't need a separate work visa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 8:51pm On Jul 12, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hello @amindondee, I'll try to assess the email account I have for nairaland. I don't use it often but hope to revert to you.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2017
Blackbuddy:

With a PR visa, you are free to pursue work opportunities and live in Canada. You don't need a separate work visa.

Thanks sir.....pls I will like to contact you, pls can you drop me ur mail this is mine Sodiqtaiwo74@gmail.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jugzy: 10:07pm On Jul 12, 2017
None yet. Still waiting. I have been looking out for an update from you.
SlowlybtSurely:

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.