Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981984 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 3:19pm On Jul 17, 2017
debbiejosh:

I landed in YYC(Calgary), after declaring my Nigerian food stuffs, I was shown the way to the new immigrants registration room.

However, you would be on the regular immigration queue till you get to an official who redirects you, after seeing your visa.

No questions were asked, the official just told me to sign, and welcome to Canada, I should update my address and PR card Would be sent there.

No questions on POF, and I carried physical cash.

I then moved to another room to declare goods to follow (can't remember the name again)

Calgary was where I intended to land, but you can change your POE as long as it is not Quebec

Just received my PP and COPR..FSW.
I know it has been said here that for FSW one can land anywhere except Quebec, but on the COPR, there is "Province of destination" and "City of destination" already filled out.

Please confirm this wont be an issue as we have already started researching other areas to land.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:13pm On Jul 17, 2017
alt3r3g0:

I know it has been said here that for FSW one can land anywhere except Quebec, but on the COPR, there is "Province of destination" and "City of destination" already filled out.

Please confirm this wont be an issue as we have already started researching other areas to land.

Thanks

It will not be an issue, you are free to land and settle anywhere else except Quebec. I had Calgary on mine but landed and stayed in Mississauga when I came.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 4:29pm On Jul 17, 2017
Blackbuddy:

It will not be an issue, you are free to land and settle anywhere else except Quebec. I had Calgary on mine but landed and stayed in Mississauga when I came.

Thanks a lot!

One more question, the address you are to give for them to send the PR card, must you have it on hand at POE or can you update when one has settled down? If the latter..is there a cut off point to have it updated so it does not go beyond the six weeks?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:20pm On Jul 17, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Thanks a lot!

One more question, the address you are to give for them to send the PR card, must you have it on hand at POE or can you update when one has settled down? If the latter..is there a cut off point to have it updated so it does not go beyond the six weeks?

No, you can update it later online. However if you fail to list the address on time, it delays the processing and receipt of your PR cards.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 5:36pm On Jul 17, 2017
Blackbuddy:

No, you can update it later online. However if you fail to list the address on time, it delays the processing and receipt of your PR cards.

Many thanks. The plan is to do a soft landing towards end of the year...then make the move sometime next year (preferably when its a bit warmer). Is there a time of year when employment opportunities are more favorable?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 6:37pm On Jul 17, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Many thanks. The plan is to do a soft landing towards end of the year...then make the move sometime next year (preferably when its a bit warmer). Is there a time of year when employment opportunities are more favorable?

No such time, just as businesses are expanding/reorganising every day, so also people are continually getting hired and sadly fired too. It's only in winter that outdoor, semi skilled work may slow down due to the inclement weather but for professional opportunities, these are always happening somewhere. It's just about being in the right place at the right time, that is, your application is received at the right time for you and God does what only He can do.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2017
Principessa0:

Anybody can live in Vancouver. It depends on what part of Vancouver you want to live in. Also, you can find jobs if you seek, depending on what you want to do. Nothing is impossible.
Hello @principesda0, am coming in for MBA at Vancouver island university bc? Wanna find out about housing in Nanaimo, would appreciate any pointers sept 2017. Tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jesusbaby01: 8:04pm On Jul 17, 2017
debbiejosh:

You are right sir, in March even with my PR Card, I wanted to buy PTA, I wasn't given with a one way ticket, so you need to know which bank truly
honours PTA on a one way ticket, even with the immigrant visa.

STANBIC I got from them twice

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 17, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Thanks

Pls sir like how much do you spend for all your processing
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 10:12pm On Jul 17, 2017
Surdycole2:

Pls sir like how much do you spend for all your processing

You'll have to be more specific. Because there is pre ITA, post ITA and post PPR..and each phase varies depending on size of family.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:35pm On Jul 17, 2017
tripleace:

Thank you so much for your reply but I have gone through majority of website on this topic with very little information like what I have read here. Just need a fellow Nigerian in the agriculture field in Canada to correspond with.

Thank you all the same.
Your best bet would be to search on linkedin for agric professionals. I know Canada is big on exporting wheat, canola, grains and beef. Canola industry alone in Canada is worth $1.2B a year. You would have to look at the prairies (Southern Manitoba, Southern Saskatchewan and southern Alberta) in that order. A few pics of farm fields I come across often times. Wheat, bins, corn, and Canola.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 17, 2017
alt3r3g0:

You'll have to be more specific. Because there is pre ITA, post ITA and post PPR..and each phase varies depending on size of family.

for post PPR for single person
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 17, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

As airfare abi wetin?
but I thought the money I just needed is airfare and visa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 1:25am On Jul 18, 2017
Surdycole2:

for post PPR for single person

I used DHL and it was 19500 to send plus insurance, 21626 for pick up (2 passports). It seems VFS is 9800 per passport both ways. So DHL is more than twice that of VFS for 2 passports...but faster. People who have used VFS can shed more light on the time difference between the two so one can make an informed decision.

For mine sent 23rd June
Delivered 27th to AVO,
Cic approved and pick up letter 13th July
Contacted Dhl to pick up and pay 13th July
Delivered 17th July.
Cant say if weekends played a factor in my timeline.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by debris: 3:48am On Jul 18, 2017
alt3r3g0:

I used DHL and it was 19500 to send plus insurance, 21626 for pick up (2 passports). It seems VFS is 9800 per passport both ways. So DHL is more than twice that of VFS for 2 passports...but faster. People who have used VFS can shed more light on the time difference between the two so one can make an informed decision.

For mine sent 23rd June
Delivered 27th to AVO,
Delivered 18th July.

bro morning please i want to ask you according to your previous post why is other POE acceptable for landing except Quebec are there issues over there am asking cos my family friend willingly to recieve me when i get to canada lives in montreal Quebec.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 5:09am On Jul 18, 2017
debris:

bro morning please i want to ask you according to your previous post why is other POE acceptable for landing except Quebec are there issues over there am asking cos my family friend willingly to recieve me when i get to canada lives in montreal Quebec.

You can do your landing formalities in any other province then move to Quebec afterwards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 6:41am On Jul 18, 2017
debris:

Quebec has a different EE process. You can land in any other city and then move to Quebec.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 7:41am On Jul 18, 2017
alt3r3g0:

For mine sent 23rd June
Delivered 27th to AVO,
Delivered 17th July.

Congrats on your copr. My passports got to AVO on 21 June and cic approved on the site yesterday morning. However I havent recieved any pick up email as at this morning. Does the mail come to my email or its in my cic account? Just a worried jjc abeg
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 8:32am On Jul 18, 2017
pauloverdi:

Congrats on your copr. My passports got to AVO on 21 June and cic approved on the site yesterday morning. However I havent recieved any pick up email as at this morning. Does the mail come to my email or its in my cic account? Just a worried jjc abeg

Thanks. It comes to your email.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 10:36am On Jul 18, 2017
Hi All,

Glad to have found this thread. Congrats to all who got PPR.

My family and I will be relocating to Canada (Ontario) next month. We are very excited about our upcoming move.

I started a blog - mycanadianfling - on our journey through this process. I am also including some information on how to get started on this Canadian Immigration process. Please feel free to check it out and send me your comments. .

Thank you all.....

Mrs. O.

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 10:55am On Jul 18, 2017
Arrived Winnipeg yesterday with my family. All glory to God.

Royal Air Maroc was great. Was really impressed. to think I wanted to go for more expensive airline because of the bad reviews I read about them.

Canada is now mine to dominate and excel in.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by perks: 11:10am On Jul 18, 2017
papaking1:

Royal Air Maroc was great. Was really impressed. to think I wanted to go for more expensive airline because of the bad reviews I read about them.

Congrats. Can you share more information on your landing experience at the airport etc

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:17am On Jul 18, 2017
please tell me more about mississauga. That is where i want to land.I need to pm you.
Blackbuddy:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:20am On Jul 18, 2017
I want to pm you. i am relocating to canada in september and want to start a blog on an entirely different area.
impish:
Hi All,

My family and I will be relocating to Canada (Ontario) next month. We are very excited about our upcoming move.

I started a blog - mycanadianfling - on our journey through this process. I am also including some information on how to get started on this Canadian Immigration process. Please feel free to check it out and send me your comments. .

Thank you all.....

Mrs. O.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:25am On Jul 18, 2017
Have you booked yet? try travelpaddy.com they booked for me. you can call them on 09087206170
SlowlybtSurely:

I'm having same problem. Sent them an email but no response. You can try calling them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:27am On Jul 18, 2017
i booked eqyptair through travelpaddy.com or call them on 09087206170. they are quite good.
trishachi:

Ok. Thanks.
But how do you book Egypt Air? The airport selection tab on their site doesn't seem to work. I'v tried different browsers. Is anyone else having this problem?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fabdee: 11:33am On Jul 18, 2017
Congrats papaking......flourish and excel. Cheers!

papaking1:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 11:45am On Jul 18, 2017
papaking1:

Congrats papaking.. wow!this is making me nostalgic..and I am just starting the process, soon one day I will make a post just like this.

Please relax ,take your time and enjoy Manitoba!

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 11:51am On Jul 18, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Thanks. It comes to your email.
Hi. How long after your account was approved did you get pick up mail. My account got approved 17 July and passport was received 19 June. I wonder why mine is taking longer. Whats your visa office and Aor?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Really nice write up... keep it up.

I hope loads of people out there get to see it.

Well done!

impish:
Hi All,

Thank you all.....

Mrs. O.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by otokx(m): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
papaking1:

I am excited to hear about a nice experience on Royal Air Maroc, kindly elaborate on your transit experience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 2:48pm On Jul 18, 2017
impish:
Hi All,

Thank you all.....

Mrs. O.

Nice Blog.
Ontario's slogan is "Yours to Discover"

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.