Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (282) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984676 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 11:51am On May 02, 2018
Madir:
Hi friends!
I need large-size transportations in Canada (Toronto). Where it is possible to order such service?
We have found new house, it is necessary to move. I have found only Atlantic Coast Movers services.
It is the checked

Its like you move every month. Stop fooling yourself just advertise using the proper medium

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:09pm On May 02, 2018
Asinkwa:

TheCongo2 is not a Nigerian. In his African home country, French is their lingua franca.

Lol. I was going to ask too why TheCongo2 engaged him when simply writing he's not Nigerian would've ended the guy's ramblings. Then again knowing TheCongo2, he enjoys indulging people grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:10pm On May 02, 2018
Asinkwa:

I felt sorry for him. The question he should have asked first is what he asked last. TheCongo2 did not even answer him.

LMAO. Hahahaha. Y'all won't kill me this morning

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 1:33pm On May 02, 2018
gulpreet:
Lol. I'm with you. That's called DRAMATIC IRONY.

Guess my joke is lost cos most people on this thread are IT and accountants.

Bless you brother(or sister). Bless you!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lovetree: 3:13pm On May 02, 2018
hello house. Please I have a question concerning the catholic French school. I have an almost 5 year old and I will totally love it if she can attend a school where she'll learn how to speak French fluently, but my concerns are;

1) Will she accepted by school since she does not understand French at all and she won't be starting from Kindergarten.

2) Just need your opinion...In case she gets accepted into any French school, will she be able blend well into the system without affecting her grades, as she wont understand what is being taught at first till she understands the language.

Thanks a lot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:02pm On May 02, 2018
A very hot afternoon to us in Naija and a cool morning to the Canadians grin tongue

Abeg,I dey find accomodation.How have you been able to navigate the numerous and unattainable criteria (payment stubs,admission letters and reference letter from former landlord).
I just need a one bedroom with my bathroom and toilet to myself.Is that too much to ask for? cry

For those who have navigated these murky waters,kindly give pointers.Man is landing soon smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 4:59pm On May 02, 2018
Canadianfly:

I totally understand you and Nogen. My concern is I have 2 languages I speak at home with my kids. We want them fluent in Igbo, unlike these new generation parents that see native languages as "local". So we speak Igbo to the kids and English where they don't quite get what you're saying to them in Igbo. Of course they learn And communicate in English from school. Now my concern is if the French schools have a no English policy, my kids will be fluent in French from school and fluent in Igbo from home......English disappears. That's the concern I was raising at your initial post.
I wanted to know where and how they would continue English? I'm really concerned about this, if I sort out their not forgetting English, then it's French school all the way for them oh.
Your children are in English community, So they will speak English very well. You need not fear.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 5:41pm On May 02, 2018
Today na English vs French ... una just dey make me laugh.

I remember while growing up in Nigeria, the rule in my house then was, "No English". Other local languages accepted. We dey steal the english sef yarn for house.

I think every family has the right to choose what rocks their boats but if you (and/or your kids) have the opportunity to learn a new language, take the chance- the future too big wella. Me, I dey vex sef say my french never strong reach sef. By the time my french strong e go be - Igbo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Pidgin, English, Chinese and French.

21 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by reavealhidden: 6:08pm On May 02, 2018
maziude:

I remember while growing up in Nigeria, the rule in my house then was, "No English". Other local languages accepted. We dey steal the english sef yarn for house.

I think every family has the right to choose what rocks their boats but if you (and/or your kids) have the opportunity to learn a new language, take the chance- the future too big wella. Me, I dey vex sef say my french never strong reach sef. By the time my french strong e go be - Igbo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Pidgin, English, Chinese and French.

grin grin grin grin Actually the laugh was @ the bold....hehehehehe!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 6:14pm On May 02, 2018
reavealhidden:

grin grin grin grin

Boss, abeg define this your laugh... e be like mockery... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 6:18pm On May 02, 2018
maziude:
By the time my french strong e go be - Igbo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Pidgin, English, Chinese and French.

I envy your language skills. Well-done.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 02, 2018
maziude:

By the time my french strong e go be - Igbo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Pidgin, English, Chinese and French.

Mazi 1 of Ottawa. Tuale Sir! grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 6:47pm On May 02, 2018
Tojued:

I envy your language skills. Well-done.

Boss, wetin man go do na? at all at all na winch...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 6:48pm On May 02, 2018
reavealhidden:

grin grin grin grin Actually the laugh was @ the bold....hehehehehe!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 6:48pm On May 02, 2018
GlitteringStar:

Mazi 1 of Ottawa. Tuale Sir! grin cheesy

My garri sha...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:49pm On May 02, 2018
lovetree:
hello house. Please I have a question concerning the catholic French school. I have an almost 5 year old and I will totally love it if she can attend a school where she'll learn how to speak French fluently, but my concerns are;

1) Will she accepted by school since she does not understand French at all and she won't be starting from Kindergarten.

2) Just need your opinion...In case she gets accepted into any French school, will she be able blend well into the system without affecting her grades, as she wont understand what is being taught at first till she understands the language.

Thanks a lot

In regard with question 1, I would be tempted to say she will be accepted. But, one thing I have learned through exchanging with people on Nairaland is that the rules may applied differently from one school board to another one. So, it is best for you that you contact the school where you want to send your daughter to and ask them the question you have posted.

As far as your daughter been able to blend in, I would say that you have nothing to worry. For the most part, children have no issue with adjusting into a new environment and picking up a new language. A score of children come to North America yearly from places where English isn't spoken, but in no time they become fluent in English .

One thing I always tell everyone is to enroll a child in English HIGH School. This will ensure that the kid get prepare to go to University in the States or in Canada without facing the TOEFL wahala.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:26pm On May 02, 2018
Canadianfly:

I totally understand you and Nogen. My concern is I have 2 languages I speak at home with my kids. We want them fluent in Igbo, unlike these new generation parents that see native languages as "local". So we speak Igbo to the kids and English where they don't quite get what you're saying to them in Igbo. Of course they learn And communicate in English from school. Now my concern is if the French schools have a no English policy, my kids will be fluent in French from school and fluent in Igbo from home......English disappears. That's the concern I was raising at your initial post.
I wanted to know where and how they would continue English? I'm really concerned about this, if I sort out their not forgetting English, then it's French school all the way for them oh.

CF, what magic have you and oga been using to make them speak Igbo? How are you doing it?

The mistake we made as new parents then was to expose them too early to English TV cartoon...and to make matters worse, myself and wifey though we speak Yoruba, it doesn't come to my wife naturally and our day to day conversations is mixed with English & Yoruba overlapping.

What Congo said is so true- TV is a powerful language tool for the young minds- they are 6+ now and I'm fighting tooth and nail to make them speak Yoruba- downloaded Yoruba app on their tablets, try to speak it and interpret it to them, morning greetings is asked to be said in yoruba etc- I'm just getting to understand the full effect of those early years when they couldn't even speak but were watching the English cartoon- now people ask me whether we had always lived "abroad" because when they talk, you'll naturally conclude that they were born and bred in the US...intonation, manner of speaking and all!

I really am fearful that they may loose out on Yoruba...by the time we land in Canada. Any suggestions good people?

Could it too late for my kids to speak Yoruba? Lagos living is not helping matters- staying in apartment with minimal interactions with other kids- no assurance that the neighbours' kids even speak the language sef! grin

I feel so helpless!

It will all end in praise IJN!

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 02, 2018
TEECANN:

CF, what magic have you and oga been using to make them speak Igbo? How are you doing it?

I really am fearful that they may loose out on Yoruba...by the time we land in Canada. Any suggestions good people?

Could it too late for my kids to speak Yoruba? Lagos living is not helping matters- staying in apartment with minimal interactions with other kids- no assurance that the neighbours' kids even speak the language sef! grin

I feel so helpless!

I'm in my early 30's, I can't speak Yoruba fluently despite both parents being Yoruba. It didnt kill me. They will be fine

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gretop(m): 11:57pm On May 02, 2018
Finally, 281 pages in my bag with enough screenshots for future reference. I deserve some ACCOLADES.

Seniors in the house, I hail una

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 12:08am On May 03, 2018
Are you single? If yes, please go to Kijiji, Short let rentals. Even if it's only for 3 months, it will definitely help.

As a single person, whether Male or Female, you can't go wrong here.

Most of them do not want couples, talk less families. I tried.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-short-term-rental/gta-greater-toronto-area/c42l1700272

WoodcrestMayor:
A very hot afternoon to us in Naija and a cool morning to the Canadians grin tongue

Abeg,I dey find accomodation.How have you been able to navigate the numerous and unattainable criteria (payment stubs,admission letters and reference letter from former landlord).
I just need a one bedroom with my bathroom and toilet to myself.Is that too much to ask for? cry

For those who have navigated these murky waters,kindly give pointers.Man is landing soon smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 12:50am On May 03, 2018
TEECANN:

The mistake we made as new parents then was to expose them too early to English TV cartoon...and to make matters worse, myself and wifey though we speak Yoruba, it doesn't come to my wife naturally and our day to day conversations is mixed with English & Yoruba overlapping.

What Congo said is so true- TV is a powerful language tool for the young minds- they are 6+ now and I'm fighting tooth and nail to make them speak Yoruba- downloaded Yoruba app on their tablets, try to speak it and interpret it to them, morning greetings is asked to be said in yoruba etc- I'm just getting to understand the full effect of those early years when they couldn't even speak but were watching the English cartoon- now people ask me whether we had always lived "abroad" because when they talk, you'll naturally conclude that they were born and bred in the US...intonation, manner of speaking and all!

I feel so helpless!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 3:13am On May 03, 2018
as in ehn... this peaceengine has no chill at all. I have to give it to theCongo2 for being so cool about everything. Was actually expecting a sh*tstorm!
Asinkwa:

I felt sorry for him. The question he should have asked first is what he asked last. TheCongo2 did not even answer him.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 3:30am On May 03, 2018
Well said Mazuide... My wife and i landed in Montreal and while i found a job before landing, most of the jobs my wife has been applying to asks for fully bilingual applicants. Most of the people we meet here are trilingual and the like and you get to see first hand how this has exposed them to the rest of the world. We've finally decided she'll take the full time french courses being offered free of charge by the govt( they actually give you an allowance for taking the course full time) while i try to take part time courses. What little french we learned in high school has been long forgotten, wish i'd paid more attention wink .So i'd say, if you or your children have the opportunity to learn a new language, please take it.Especially being in this new environment...the opportunities are endless.

maziude:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Moravia: 6:33am On May 03, 2018
wengerly:
Anyone coming to YYC anytime soon, I volunteer to pick you from the airport to your destination anywhere within Calgary. Free of Charge

Have a great week ahead.

Hello Bro, I’m landing on Friday noon 12:20, the person I arranged earlier just told me he won’t be able to. Pls can you do me this favor?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:41am On May 03, 2018
Canadianfly:

Where do you live? English can't disappear in Canada honestly.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wengerly(m): 8:08am On May 03, 2018
Moravia:

Hello Bro, I’m landing on Friday noon 12:20, the person I arranged earlier just told me he won’t be able to. Pls can you do me this favor?

Buzz me on alagbaj@yahoo.com let's arrange.

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rexofungus: 11:48am On May 03, 2018
Is there anyone in Victoria, British Columbia here? I can not stay here without having Nigerians to gist with ohhh grin grin grin
I also need help with getting accommodation and jobs. I will be with my daughter (she's 16)

Thanks!! smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Marvi4real: 12:50pm On May 03, 2018
Hello fellow Canadians,
Contact me for the best discounts on your home internet, TV and home phone. I can help you save on your monthly bills(rates a low as $50 for unlimited internet monthly).
Welcome to Maple leaf.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ttmacoy: 2:35pm On May 03, 2018
Speaking French to them doesn't necessarily mean they will lose English but will be bilingual, and as you live in Quebec it may give them more opportunities in the future.

Nogen:

Nice. The Daycare where my son attends has been asking me to speak French to him at home. I told them NO. For now, the children only speak English at home. They can't afford to lose that.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kazchick(f): 2:52pm On May 03, 2018
Dear Team,
Please what are the pre-arrival agencies apart from ACCES that someone can contact for employment mentor-ship and employment connections. I want to maximize my pre-arrival opportunities that would help me land well and get a job in the shortest possible time.

Apologies if I did not use the right words but I hope you get the drift.

@canadafly, I miss your blog posts

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 4:40pm On May 03, 2018
ttmacoy:
Speaking French to them doesn't necessarily mean they will lose English but will be bilingual, and as you live in Quebec it may give them more opportunities in the future.

Oga, I live in an environment where day to day activity is done in French. Abi, You live here with me?

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.