Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (322) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983239 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) (324) (325) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by krystal101(f): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2018
DereI:

I have no idea about the pilot training but one thing I know is that, going with your husband for a training is only temporary. What happens after the training?
If you can, you could begin your fsw process, then go for the training and when your passport is rewuested, you can submit either in Canada or back in Nigeria.
The best way to migrate to Canada right now is via the fsw/pnp.
Goodluck

Thanks a lot. But can we renew our documents while there? Sorry to bother you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 5:47pm On Jul 05, 2018
Philla80:
I have a Camry 2004 (4plugs) this car is tokunbo and just landed last week, in perfect condition, I'm giving out the car on rental for uber/taxify, contact me if ure a driver on uber and taxify, and you live around ojodu, magodo isheri, it's 35k per week, call me on 08075222960

More like it. Just becareful who you give your car to. Ain't this a good idea?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coolhayor: 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2018
I live in Winnipeg and it is a decent city. I have been here for a few months so my info may not be absolute.

There are jobs everywhere in Canada and including Manitoba. A search on indeed, workopolis or LinkedIn will give u a good view once u input d city and career area of choice. Although I will say for every 1 job in Manitoba and all the other provinces u have 9-10 in Ontario, 5-6 in Alberta & Quebec, 4-5 in BC. I am saying this from my job search experience but I stand to b corrected. Manitoba and Nova Scotia have more jobs than New Brunswick and slightly more than Saskatchewan.

Life is relatively cheap in Winnipeg compared to most Canadian cities especially housing except for Montreal and Halifax. Government also gives a bit of support to families and if u want u also have food banks and other free stuffs in some places across the city.

There a lot of Nigerians in Manitoba. In my opinion 70-80% of them are into healthcare support jobs, abt 7-10% of them are into customer service jobs, security or other survival jobs, the remaining percentage u find in white collar I believe. Based on this most Nigerians u meet immediately preach the majority jobs to u. I do not blame any1, to each his/her own. To get the healthcare jobs u only need some basic certificates u can get upon payment, no exams.

For the white collar jobs, all u need is do ur search well, highlight ur soft skills and experience, be ready to weather d storms if necessary, finally let God have His way.

Winnipeg is very hot in the summer and extremely cold in Winter, the farther north u go the more extreme the temperature especially the cold.

For the Manitoba PNP it used to be very simple if u had family or friends nomination before but it has been reviewed now. Friends is still possible but very very very slim, even family stands a very slim chance now because it favours people who have education and a full time job in Manitoba in some NOC, based on that you find the influx of students into Manitoba and the ones who graduated also getting full time jobs. These people are the ones I know getting nomination for now.

These information is not exhaustive, I will add more as I remember stuffs.

Seyitorl2:
Gooday house, please is there anyone on here living in or knows about life in mordern Manitoba.
2. The jobs
3.How easy is it to get a job in Morden?
4.any other important information I might need to have to prepare my family and I as I intend to apply going through pnp route and have no Manitoba supporter.
Thanks.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 5:56pm On Jul 05, 2018
Ramadan 2019 is in God's hand lipsrsealed.

[/quote]

This got me. Don't worry, Ramadhan 2019 is still about 11months away and besides there are Muslims there too and coping. I wish you the best hereon

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 7:15pm On Jul 05, 2018
coolhayor:
I live in Winnipeg and it is a decent city. I have been here for a few months so my info may not be absolute.

There are jobs everywhere in Canada and including Manitoba. A search on indeed, workopolis or LinkedIn will give u a good view once u input d city and career area of choice. Although I will say for every 1 job in Manitoba and all the other provinces u have 9-10 in Ontario, 5-6 in Alberta & Quebec, 4-5 in BC. I am saying this from my job search experience but I stand to b corrected. Manitoba and Nova Scotia have more jobs than New Brunswick and slightly more than Saskatchewan.

Life is relatively cheap in Winnipeg compared to most Canadian cities especially housing except for Montreal and Halifax. Government also gives a bit of support to families and if u want u also have food banks and other free stuffs in some places across the city.

There a lot of Nigerians in Manitoba. In my opinion 70-80% of them are into healthcare support jobs, abt 7-10% of them are into customer service jobs, security or other survival jobs, the remaining percentage u find in white collar I believe. Based on this most Nigerians u meet immediately preach the majority jobs to u. I do not blame any1, to each his/her own. To get the healthcare jobs u only need some basic certificates u can get upon payment, no exams.

For the white collar jobs, all u need is do ur search well, highlight ur soft skills and experience, be ready to weather d storms if necessary, finally let God have His way.

Winnipeg is very hot in the summer and extremely cold in Winter, the farther north u go the more extreme the temperature especially the cold.

For the Manitoba PNP it used to be very simple if u had family or friends nomination before but it has been reviewed now. Friends is still possible but very very very slim, even family stands a very slim chance now because it favours people who have education and a full time job in Manitoba in some NOC, based on that you find the influx of students into Manitoba and the ones who graduated also getting full time jobs. These people are the ones I know getting nomination for now.

These information is not exhaustive, I will add more as I remember stuffs.

Thanks for this bro/sis.
Ontario would usually have more jobs, followed by Quebec, then British Columbia, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba in that order, and then the maritimes and the Territories. Population seems to be the main driver.

It is also inportant to note that the competition for jobs are higher in more populated centres. e.g The health care support jobs you mentioned employing lots of Nigerians in Winnipeg is not easy to comeby in a city like Calgary. It's a survival job that is not back breaking; hence, there is more competion for such jobs in bigger centres. Why people stay on such jobs for a long time is a different story.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2018
We miss your pictures Uncle Salford
salford1:

Congrats on your landing. You mentioned your final destination being Manitoba.

It is usually best to get a phone line in your final province or town/city of final destination. Cost, bills, phone number(i.e Province and area code), t&c, tax e.t.c are different across provinces even within the same network. Also some network are also not available in some towns or provinces hence you would pay roaming charges.

Examples
My phone plan with the phone cost $95 per month in Alberta. Exact same plan and phone cost $65 in Saskatchewan.

Freedom/wind mobile which is a favourite among new immigrants would only work in big cities, once you move closer to the edge of the city, it would go into roaming which is expensive to maintain.

If you move to winnipeg and own an ontario line, some people without Canada wide plan won't call you because their network would charge for calling non-local line.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 12:07am On Jul 06, 2018
olajide21:
Ramadan 2019 is in God's hand lipsrsealed.

This got me. Don't worry, Ramadhan 2019 is still about 11months away and besides there are Muslims there too and coping. I wish you the best hereon

Thanks bro. Will start preparing my mind on that
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by BlackMimir: 12:27am On Jul 06, 2018
*clears throat*
Ehen my pipu, I don come o. Copr letter was got today.
Now my challenge na when I wan leave Melbourne and to which city for Canada.
Chei... decisiona no easy o.
And yes, it states that I will be landing in Ontario. I reckon that was from my application. Does it mean I have to, or I can stop by anywhere I have friends.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by phf2be: 7:48am On Jul 06, 2018
For those who landed with kids of school age, is there a possibility of getting places for them in public schools if one lands after September?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Wizard001: 8:09am On Jul 06, 2018
salford:

Interviews and reference?
i have up to 3 million naira now at hand,and i have family members in canada who are willing to accommodate me, will that amount be enough for me to move in and start work?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 8:38am On Jul 06, 2018
krystal101:

Thanks a lot. But can we renew our documents while there? Sorry to bother you.

What documents do you mean? International Passport? Apply for the fsw from within Canada?

If yes, then yes, you can do both.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 8:47am On Jul 06, 2018
BlackMimir:
*clears throat*
Ehen my pipu, I don come o. Copr letter was got today.
Now my challenge na when I wan leave Melbourne and to which city for Canada.
Chei... decisiona no easy o.
And yes, it states that I will be landing in Ontario. I reckon that was from my application. Does it mean I have to, or I can stop by anywhere I have friends.

The decision is entirely yours to make. I believe this research should have been done much earlier than now but in any case, just check out where you'd like to live, why youd like to live there, affordability of accommodation, job opportunities, advancement opportunities and then, make your decision.

Goodluck
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 8:55am On Jul 06, 2018
Very good response. @BlackMimir the items listed below should be your main drivers in determining where to settle.

Now the part where you mentioned landing in ontario? you applied through PNP or ?

DereI:

The decision is entirely yours to make. I believe this research should have been done much earlier than now but in any case, just check out where you'd like to live, why youd like to live there, affordability of accommodation, job opportunities, advancement opportunities and then, make your decision.

Goodluck
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by BlackMimir: 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2018
DereI:

Goodluck
Hi DereI,
Many thanks for your response. I always had my mind set on Ontario but just realised I have a friend in another province which would make the initial landing easier.
When I said what I did, it was more on a lighter note. Nonetheless, thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by krystal101(f): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2018
DereI:

What documents do you mean? International Passport? Apply for the fsw from within Canada?

If yes, then yes, you can do both.

Thanks a lot. We'll apply for FSW while we're there. I don't mind better suggestions @salford and the other gurus.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by BlackMimir: 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2018
ottawasenators:
Very good response. @BlackMimir the items listed below should be your main drivers in determining where to settle.

Now the part where you mentioned landing in ontario? you applied through PNP or ?

No I didn't.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Renikay: 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2018
Ok. Thanks
DereI:

It's 23kg per luggage.

Check their website for excess luggage information or simply give them a call. Although there are affordable cargo options in the airport.....you need to check that as well. Remember, the more kg you cargo, the cheaper you pay.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Sugaro: 2:05pm On Jul 06, 2018
vcole:
heeeyyyy heeyyy. @fusion23 @newmum hailings to you too.
Hi vcole, I sent you a pm pls, kindly respond thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:20pm On Jul 06, 2018
phf2be:
For those who landed with kids of school age, is there a possibility of getting places for them in public schools if one lands after September?

Of course, once you show proof of residence in the school's catchment area and there is space in their respective grades to accommodate them. Where a school can not accommodate kids due to space constraints, you will be referred to the closest other school in the neighborhood that can take them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jade912: 2:29pm On Jul 06, 2018
love my country
more info in here http://seriesonline.fm/search-movies/Canada.html

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2018
Wizard001:

i have up to 3 million naira now at hand,and i have family members in canada who are willing to accommodate me, will that amount be enough for me to move in and start work?
It is not about the money in your bank but having a valid resident visa to start with.

https://www.nairaland.com/4472519/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Jumdah20:
We miss your pictures Uncle Salford
Thanks Sir/ma

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:10pm On Jul 06, 2018
krystal101:

Thanks a lot. We'll apply for FSW while we're there. I don't mind better suggestions @salford and the other gurus.
If you qualify for fsw, then that is the best option. Cheaper and gives you PR. It takes just a year or less nowadays.

If you want to arrive here on a student permit before applying for PR, then you would first need to scale the student permit hurdle.

Check for student permit:
https://www.nairaland.com/4390108/canadian-student-visa-thread-part

Check for fsw:
https://www.nairaland.com/4472519/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by diamondextra: 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2018
Fortissimo502:

I'm also looking into this. Have you moved to Canada yet?

No i havent
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Issyman(m): 7:09pm On Jul 06, 2018
Landed seniors, we need pictures oo

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2018
So I finally braced the odds to step into the city center though public transit (not every day uber) and was at Square One mall in Mississauga. free wifi everywhere you go. cant imagine if ICM tries that in lagos (awon keyboard warriors and team snapchat grin cheesy).

First interview today, hopeful. Finally saw a police car today. Naija police catch your sub!

Almost got lost on the way back. No internet and i stopped at the wrong stop. Got on the next bus (apparently the $4 card is valid for 2 hours) so due to wrong stop, ended up home in another two buses.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2018
threadstone:
So I finally braced the odds to step into the city center though public transit (not every day uber) and was at Square One mall in Mississauga. free wifi everywhere you go. cant imagine if ICM tries that in lagos (awon keyboard warriors and team snapchat grin cheesy).

First interview today, hopeful. Finally saw a police car today. Naija police catch your sub!

Almost got lost on the way back. No internet and i stopped at the wrong stop. Got on the next bus (apparently the $4 card is valid for 2 hours) so due to wrong stop, ended up home in another two buses.
Get a TTC card and pay for the month. If you are jobless, you might be able to apply for a discount. I'm not sure how much it would cost, but in Ottawa a month's bus pass is $116 while its $58 with subsidy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Underwoodd: 8:56pm On Jul 06, 2018
DatechMan:

Welcome / Bienvenue
There is a GTA whatsapp group that I am part of. We meet physically once in a while. You can PM for an invite link.

Hi. I am also interested in the Whatsapp group. Sent you a PM. Thanks.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 9:42pm On Jul 06, 2018
AZeD1:

Get a TTC card and pay for the month. If you are jobless, you might be able to apply for a discount. I'm not sure how much it would cost, but in Ottawa a month's bus pass is $116 while its $58 with subsidy.

Leaving tomorrow, thats why i decided not to order for one.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2018
threadstone:

Leaving tomorrow, thats why i decided not to order for one.
Ok.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Glowingx: 10:43pm On Jul 06, 2018
Oakville
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dhaarmie: 4:11am On Jul 07, 2018
About 158 usd and that's for 23kg
Renikay:
Hello all, pls does anyone know the cost of extraluggage for egypt air? And what is weight allowance for the extra bags is it 23kg or 32kg? The rate am geting for Cargoing to Saskatoon is so scary that extra luggage is beginning to seem reasonable. Pls i need advise o. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) (324) (325) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.