Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,625 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (342) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980352 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2018
I am extremely terrified about landing during the winter season. How do y'all cope? I have a little boy cry

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2018
I did o. It bounced back.
Akingsqueen:
Pls send a mail through melankev@yahoo.com

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:37pm On Aug 03, 2018
Newmum0615:
I am extremely terrified about landing during the winter season. How do y'all cope? I have a little boy cry
you dress warm. Get a car, underground parking, good winter tires. Go out when necessary and wait out the 6 months. Lol! Don't be terrified. You will survive. Your lil boy would even love it.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 2:41pm On Aug 03, 2018
Really? Try sending a regular email then.

Newmum0615:
I did o. It bounced back.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2018
Jewel80:

Hi, i can only answer the first question. When i asked, they said 5-10 working days. Mine took exactly 5working days.

Sorry to bother how long ago did you submit your passport. I also need to know when one gets the passport back from vfs. Anyone who submitted recently? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Randomsue: 5:50pm On Aug 03, 2018
I learnt it takes about 10-15 working days.

Submitted on July 9 and yet to get passport back. It has been dispatched already from Accra and i'm just waiting for the pick up mail (PUM)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jewel80(f): 7:21pm On Aug 03, 2018
agates:

Sorry to bother how long ago did you submit your passport. I also need to know when one gets the passport back from vfs. Anyone who submitted recently? Thanks

Submitted July 12, received July 18

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jewel80(f): 7:23pm On Aug 03, 2018
Please guys, someone should help out with this..thanks!
Jewel80:
Hi guys! Are students required to show cash (POF) at point of entry? I might be carrying something less than $900CAD because i will be getting more money from a relative in Toronto after i open a bank account in canada. Is something less than $900CAD too small to show? I am thinking of also showing my tuition fees receipt since i have paid that.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 7:50pm On Aug 03, 2018
Jewel80:
Hi guys! Are students required to show cash (POF) at point of entry? I might be carrying something less than $900CAD because i will be getting more money from a relative in Toronto after i open a bank account in canada. Is something less than $900CAD too small to show? I am thinking of also showing my tuition fees receipt since i have paid that.

Hi, everyone is expected to declare cash they are landing with including students. This is more so for amounts equal to or over $10k. In your case, just declare what you have which shouldn't be an issue per your profile as a student and if asked, indicate that your relative will give you access to more funds as needed. It is a good idea to have evidence of tuition paid with you, have a safe trip and happy landing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 9:04pm On Aug 03, 2018
Hi, I just wanted to know what impact there is of doing the CPA conversion with a particular province especially from Nigeria and then immigrate to a different province upon landing?
Muchaio:

I think it's the whole CPA jare. Ontario too has changed. Now it takes over 1 month to even acknowledge your email. Submitted last document required January 3rd, it wasn't acknowledged until February 6th. Since then, silence. They actually said the process takes at least 12 weeks now due to increased workload. I'm just hoping they free me this month.

This whole waka is a test of patience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 9:08pm On Aug 03, 2018
@bolded, hello, would it have been cheaper if you are in canada?

Once they are satisfied, he send over notarised copied of two IDs and wait for finance dept to tell him the cost of membership. Mine is$965 (excluding tax) because I am still in Nigeria.

[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 9:19pm On Aug 03, 2018
Hi Vcole, does CCB in this instance qualify as social assistance or welfare?
vcole:
On the issue of invitations and sponsorships, I may be wrong but the ability to sponsor a spouse or relative as a PR is contingent on not receiving social assistance aka welfare at the time (or within 1yr) of the application.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 9:25pm On Aug 03, 2018
Please I would like to know the answer to this question when you get it . Thanks
vcole:
Thanks @rainazoe @vascey @muchiao Very useful info.
How long did it take you in total? Is an estimated 4-6mths realistic? Also if you have cpa ontario or bc membership, is it possible to transfer it to anothet province?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jewel80(f): 12:17am On Aug 04, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Hi, everyone is expected to declare cash they are landing with including students. This is more so for amounts equal to or over $10k. In your case, just declare what you have which shouldn't be an issue per your profile as a student and if asked, indicate that your relative will give you access to more funds as needed. It is a good idea to have evidence of tuition paid with you, have a safe trip and happy landing.
Bless you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 7:45am On Aug 04, 2018
Newbeecey:
Please I would like to know the answer to this question when you get it . Thanks

Yes that time frame is possible if you are able to confirm your degree on time and also finish the course very quickly.
Yes there is no problem with transferring your CPA to another province. Based on their rules, it actually appears flexible. I'm still in Naija though so maybe someone who has done it can shed more light.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kylexy61(m): 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2018
Its Caribana this weekend in Toronto.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2018
michael1:
Dear @Geebaby10 & @A555 and all

Good evening, my family just got our PPR today and our story is exactly like yours, initially planning to have our baby in US, however post receipt of PPR today, everything has changed.

Please I will really appreciate any help at settling down. My wife is EDD is late Sept/early Oct. We do have a someone in Sask but also willing to rent an apartment if that does not work out since we are looking at giving birth in Canada.

Please we will appreciate if you can kindly avail us your email address to aid us through this period.

Thank you

Please can folks chip in on this? Thanks in anticipation
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2018
michael1:
Dear @Geebaby10 & @A555 and all

Good evening, my family just got our PPR today and our story is exactly like yours, initially planning to have our baby in US, however post receipt of PPR today, everything has changed.

Please I will really appreciate any help at settling down. My wife is EDD is late Sept/early Oct

Thank you

Will the airline allow your wife to fly? I'm assuming she's 7 months gone and might be more when COPR lands. Niobe77 was in a similar situation when PPR landed but wrote to CIC informing them about the situation, she was asked to notify them within 30 days of the baby's birth though she didn't intend to birth in the US.
You can mail them to let them know that you may not be able to land till after your baby's birth. Better still look through her posts but
MAKE SURE YOUR BABY HAS A STATUS IN CANADA BEFORE YOU LAND

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cheromel: 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2018
Randomsue:

I learnt it takes about 10-15 working days.

Submitted on July 9 and yet to get passport back. It has been dispatched already from Accra and i'm just waiting for the pick up mail (PUM)

I also submitted on July 9 and online status shows it has been dispatched from Accra too. I wonder what is taking them so long to send PUM.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 4:01pm On Aug 04, 2018
Seniors, can we get some pictures of summer in Cannyland, pls, pls. It has been awhile.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 5:47pm On Aug 04, 2018
cheromel:

I also submitted on July 9 and online status shows it has been dispatched from Accra too. I wonder what is taking them so long to send PUM.

I heard it takes 21 working days. So say 15 days for approval another 7 days for dispatch perhaps
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vivicintia(f): 8:33pm On Aug 04, 2018
Hello house,

Please what's job opportunity like in Canada for bankers. I have 2 yrs experience in customer service and 2 yrs experience as a teller.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:16am On Aug 05, 2018
mostojr:

Serious? Why so? I just feel going to school to spend a year is a waste of time. She could get a job in 2-3 months Toronto if she starts searching from day 1.

Schooling is so overrated. Attending a settlement workshop is more beneficial. Especially if you're experienced. These days, employers hardly look at Canadian schooling like that. From the little I have seen in GTA.

Look for internships, mentoring programmes to help with networking, etc. The key is to know someone who can help you. Connect with as many recruiters online or on LinkedIn as you can. Send your Canadian style resume. Ensure you've done a job search type bridging programme to know how to answer Canadian style interview questions. That is, learn Canadian style communication techniques.

Most important is to be positive and always speak positively. They like hiring positive people.

24 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:29am On Aug 05, 2018
This poster just about summed it up about job search in Ontario.

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/299#68079136

12 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:32am On Aug 05, 2018
vivicintia:
Hello house,

Please what's job opportunity like in Canada for bankers. I have 2 yrs experience in customer service and 2 yrs experience as a teller.

Thanks

Plenty bank jobs. You can start as customer service and then move up but learn Canadian communication techniques.

ACCES Employment also have a lot of programs for those from a banking background.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blessedluvdfavd: 3:12am On Aug 05, 2018
So got a TV from factory direct but refurbished. Maybe check them out, that is if you don't mind buying refurbished items. Cheers!

10 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 6:46am On Aug 05, 2018
Good Morning senior colleagues

Please I have a certificate as an associate member ,Chartered Institute of Customer relationship member and also a PGD certificate of Chartered instute of customers relationship mgt.....

Please can I evaluate this certificate with WES or IQAS for two more or more certificate with my bsc to get more points...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 6:47am On Aug 05, 2018
Got to realize in some places, Car is not a luxury, especially if you have kids.

vcole:
you dress warm. Get a car, underground parking, good winter tires. Go out when necessary and wait out the 6 months. Lol! Don't be terrified. You will survive. Your lil boy would even love it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 8:43am On Aug 05, 2018
XX01:

Plenty bank jobs. You can start as customer service and then move up but learn Canadian communication techniques.

ACCES Employment also have a lot of programs for those from a banking background.

Wow...would love to work in a bank there n become a senior manager.... Am eyeing scotiabank,RBC....just hope I get in
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 8:49am On Aug 05, 2018
And please ..let's say one applies as single applicant...got the PPR ,travel and after like maybe a year of living in canny..one comes back to naija to marry fiancée...what steps will be taken to relocate her to join her spouse in Canada .. . just inquisitive
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 9:01am On Aug 05, 2018
adesbaba:
And please ..let's say one applies as single applicant...got the PPR ,travel and after like maybe a year of living in canny..one comes back to naija to marry fiancée...what steps will be taken to relocate her to join her spouse in Canada .. . just inquisitive

You could bring her over using spousal sponsorship route. Check https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:04am On Aug 05, 2018
koonlay5:
Got to realize in some places, Car is not a luxury, especially if you have kids.
you are right. I think that generally in north america, owning a car is a basic necessity.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.