Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (343) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984686 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fizzywah(m): 9:18am On Aug 05, 2018
I am in a similar situation, submitted on the 9th of July as well.. A friend waited 2 days after tracking showed passports had been dispatched from Accra. If you're waiting for a PUM or whatever it's called, VFS may not send. She went there anyway and the passports were ready. I'll be going on Monday to pick up.

cheromel:

I also submitted on July 9 and online status shows it has been dispatched from Accra too. I wonder what is taking them so long to send PUM.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:11am On Aug 05, 2018
Thanks. I am not looking forward to that cold sha. Lol.
vcole:
you dress warm. Get a car, underground parking, good winter tires. Go out when necessary and wait out the 6 months. Lol! Don't be terrified. You will survive. Your lil boy would even love it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by michael1(m): 10:22am On Aug 05, 2018
[

Thanks

quote author=Flaj post=69982322]
Will the airline allow your wife to fly? I'm assuming she's 7 months gone and might be more when COPR lands. Niobe77 was in a similar situation when PPR landed but wrote to CIC informing them about the situation, she was asked to notify them within 30 days of the baby's birth though she didn't intend to birth in the US.
You can mail them to let them know that you may not be able to land till after your baby's birth. Better still look through her posts but
MAKE SURE YOUR BABY HAS A STATUS IN CANADA BEFORE YOU LAND[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:34pm On Aug 05, 2018
XX01:

Look for internships, mentoring programmes to help with networking, etc. The key is to know someone who can help you.

A good school has all this especially those with a Co -Op program.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cheromel: 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2018
Fizzywah:
I am in a similar situation, submitted on the 9th of July as well.. A friend waited 2 days after tracking showed passports had been dispatched from Accra. If you're waiting for a PUM or whatever it's called, VFS may not send. She went there anyway and the passports were ready. I'll be going on Monday to pick up.

Please if you go on Monday and succeed in collecting your passport, let me know here so i can plan to go there. Thanks a bunch!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2018
AZeD1:

A good school has all these especially those with a Co -Op program.

How about the year or years you stay in school? People have been getting good jobs without having to go back to school. Imagine someone has MBA, you still want to go back for MSc, it's redundant. Learning to be more Canadian is more important.

Soft skills is very important here. In an interview, it could be the differentiation. The ones using Canadian schools to screen out are usually smaller companies. Their main problem will be if you can fit in their team which is where you're soft skills training becomes important. Canadian experience is not Canadian job experience nor is it Canadian school experience, it's if you're Canadian job ready. One hurdle is getting the job, the next is keeping it by fitting in with the team.

Let me qualify my statement. People that already have good educational qualifications and know their stuff, don't need to go back to school. You need the right connections.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2018
Newmum0615:
Thanks. I am not looking forward to that cold sha. Lol.

I liked the cold. Not immediately but it grew on me. Just layer up. Summer can be so hot.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by styv(m): 1:47pm On Aug 05, 2018
Guys please I need urgent information on the following:

1. Process of obtaining Ontario Driver's license: what documents do I need to go with from Nigeria? Will my current DL and Intl DL suffice?

2. How do I provide information on accompanying goods? Do I group items under categories and estimate the value of the entire group (e.g clothes and personal effects) or must I list them all one by one?

3. What documents do I need to present for Child Care Benefit, specifically with declarating previous years' income?

Anyone with answers pls help out. I know these may have been answered before in this thread, so I'll also appreciate if anyone can help out with the links.

Thanks already.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:16pm On Aug 05, 2018
XX01:

How about the year or years you stay in school? People have been getting good jobs without having to go back to school. Imagine someone has MBA, you still want to go back for MSc, it's redundant. Learning to be more Canadian is more important.

Soft skills is very important here. In an interview, it could be the differentiation. The ones using Canadian schools to screen out are usually smaller companies. Their main problem will be if you can fit in their team which is where you're soft skills training becomes important. Canadian experience is not Canadian job experience nor is it Canadian school experience, it's if you're Canadian job ready. One hurdle is getting the job, the next is keeping it by fitting in with the team.

Let me qualify my statement. People that already have good educational qualifications and know their stuff, don't need to go back to school. You need the right connections.
I think much also depends on your career choice. Alot of technical jobs prefer candidates trained at Canadian unis or colleges. Some provincial government cooperations, crown cooperations or engineering firms even prefer local graduates from a Uni/college in Alberta or Sask to a graduate from a uni in Ontario or Nova Scotia. However, some recuiters would not care and still invite a candidate for an interview. It's now left for the candidate to shine over others with local education and experience - This is the hard nut to crack. Your bridging programs and all other soft skills would be tested here as well as your knowledge.

The above example is for technical jobs (trades, technicians, technologists, engineers, etc). I can't say much for other careers.

Sometimes we just have to put ourselves in the shoes of the recruiter or better still hiring manager. They are humans and often times would prefer to go with a tested product than one that is not, especially if public safety is an issue.

For the lady asking about customer services, sales or teller jobs, a recruiter won't probably care where she got her education from. Alot of those jobs require only an high school certificate, good communication skills and passing basic security clearance. Going back to school won't be necessary for such jobs and many other similar jobs.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luvluvluv: 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2018
So how did everyone get to canada? Just curious. Is there a thread for this?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:07pm On Aug 05, 2018

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2018
No impact in my opinion. It may just cost you more because you will pay annual dues for the original province and also the one you decide to eventually transfer to. The annual dues is split btw the national CPA body and the provincial so when you want to transfer, you must be in good standing with the original provincial body (paid) and the province you are transferring to will collect their own too. I may be wrong tho

Newbeecey:
Hi, I just wanted to know what impact there is of doing the CPA conversion with a particular province especially from Nigeria and then immigrate to a different province upon landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2018
Ohh ok. Hopefully somebody can confirm this.
Muchaio:
No impact in my opinion. It may just cost you more because you will pay annual dues for the original province and also the one you decide to eventually transfer to. The annual dues is split btw the national CPA body and the provincial so when you want to transfer, you must be in good standing with the original provincial body (paid) and the province you are transferring to will collect their own too. I may be wrong tho

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 4:09am On Aug 06, 2018
salford1:

I think much also depends on your career choice. Alot of technical jobs prefer candidates trained at Canadian unis or colleges. Some provincial government cooperations, crown cooperations or engineering firms even prefer local graduates from a Uni/college in Alberta or Sask to a graduate from a uni in Ontario or Nova Scotia. However, some recuiters would not care and still invite a candidate for an interview. It's now left for the candidate to shine over others with local education and experience - This is the hard nut to crack. Your bridging programs and all other soft skills would be tested here as well as your knowledge.

The above example is for technical jobs (trades, technicians, technologists, engineers, etc). I can't say much for other careers.

Sometimes we just have to put ourselves in the shoes of the recruiter or better still hiring manager. They are humans and often times would prefer to go with a tested product than one that is not, especially if public safety is an issue.

For the lady asking about customer services, sales or teller jobs, a recruiter won't probably care where she got her education from. Alot of those jobs require only an high school certificate, good communication skills and passing basic security clearance. Going back to school won't be necessary for such jobs and many other similar jobs.

I guess you're right. My experience has been in finance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 10:20am On Aug 06, 2018
Osaze Osaze Osaze.... My good friend
Osaze007:
Hello all
What’s best way to get job in financial services with a foreign degree
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Osaze007: 10:34am On Aug 06, 2018
smslive2:
Osaze Osaze Osaze.... My good friend

Loooooool this man don follow me finish

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 12:20pm On Aug 06, 2018
Vfs Globals have refused to pick my calls today claiming they are experiencing bulk calls and operators are busy...Na em I say make I come beg una make una free their line small na, make my call for go through to one of their agents...lol. Which kind busy be this today...

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 12:28pm On Aug 06, 2018
Newmum0615:
I am extremely terrified about landing during the winter season. How do y'all cope? I have a little boy cry

We are in this together o...got 2 babies and an adolescent too and the thought is scary, but medicals expire December and i don't want to do any waiting with cic again other than waiting for PR card.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2018
balogunsam:

We are in this together o...got 2 babies and an adolescent too and the thought is scary, but medicals expire December and i don't want to do any waiting with cic again other than waiting for PR card.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2018
Me that shakes like a fish out of water with small AC sef. It is well o.
balogunsam:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 3:12pm On Aug 06, 2018
grin You can't hide.
Osaze007:

Loooooool this man don follow me finish

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 3:48pm On Aug 06, 2018
XX01:

Please how can one integrate into their banking career with my bsc accounting, 2.5 yrs experience in banking...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by foreverkind1(m): 5:33pm On Aug 06, 2018
XX01:

Hello, I studied bsc in finance. Will be coming to Canada for msc in finance, what's the finance market in Canada like..will I be able to get PR without ICAN?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2018
Newmum0615:
Me that shakes like a fish out of water with small AC sef. It is well o.

Hahaha...same as my wife...you better change your visa to Qatar or Dubai o grin
How did VFS go?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vivicintia(f): 6:00pm On Aug 06, 2018
Please can I get a job b4 coming to Canada.

Like banking job

I have experience in customer service and ask a teller.
If possible how can I apply?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vivicintia(f): 6:03pm On Aug 06, 2018
XX01:

Plenty bank jobs. You can start as customer service and then move up but learn Canadian communication techniques.

ACCES Employment also have a lot of programs for those from a banking background.

Thanks please I sent you pm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by illiasnwm: 6:56pm On Aug 06, 2018
Hello Guys,

I'm currently a Post-Grad student in British Columbia, I was able to successfully bring my wife and daughter here..

my wife has a SOWP and my daughter has a visitors' visa since shes' just 2 years old.

My program ends next year and it would be the end of 3 years post graduate study for me in Canada.

My question is.. How do I go about converting my self, wife and daughter to PR holders... I know I should be getting a three years PGWP after my program ends.. Just looking for advice from someone that's been through this.

Merci!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 6:58pm On Aug 06, 2018
Right...
Muchaio:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:03pm On Aug 06, 2018
illiasnwm:
Hello Guys,

I'm currently a Post-Grad student in British Columbia, I was able to successfully bring my wife and daughter here..

my wife has a SOWP and my daughter has a visitors' visa since shes' just 2 years old.

My program ends next year and it would be the end of 3 years post graduate study for me in Canada.

My question is.. How do I go about converting my self, wife and daughter to PR holders... I know I should be getting a three years PGWP after my program ends.. Just looking for advice from someone that's been through this.

Merci!

Once you're a PR, you should be able to change their status. I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS. I know a person who did the EE I think. After school they worked in a designated profession, got work experience, did the English exam, and got enough points. That's what they told me. But whatever you do don't leave Canada, or try to do the legitimization process outside of Canada.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by illiasnwm: 7:06pm On Aug 06, 2018
maternal:

Once you're a PR, you should be able to change their status. I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS. I know a person who did the EE I think. After school they worked in a designated profession, got work experience, did the English exam, and got enough points. That's what they told me. But whatever you do don't leave Canada, or try to do the legitimization process outside of Canada.

THanks Maternal... No advice is too small.. Appreciate it..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beem4cupid: 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2018
Hello, is there any one that got transcript from LASU recently. I need a good contact. I will prefer the possibility of getting the transcript by hand but if not, I dont mind a contact that can follow up for me. I know it is often addressed to institutions but na naija we dey... pls it is urgent
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:20pm On Aug 06, 2018
illiasnwm:
Hello Guys,

Merci!
While you are on you PGWP, explore the express entry or provincial nominee programs offered to international grads. If your province does not have a program in place for international grads or it uses an occupation list, check out the PNP programs offered by other provinces specifically geared towards international grad.
Goodluck.

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.