Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980494 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Topboyz5: 5:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
papaking1:
Winnipeg is a nice beautiful city and the people are very nice.
Most Nigeria guys here seems to be doing care jobs which I do not actually fancy.

I am a bit confused on the right career path to pursue. I am ready to do any job right now but I need a long term career plan that will put good cash in my pocket.

Anybody living in Manitoba here that can give me some advice on the right career opportunities to pursue?

This is your personal decision. Sciences, IT is always hot cake.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2017
Yooku:

That was my first cert after graduating from Uni. Currently have a CCIE RS plus some Juniper and Alcatel-Lucent certs. Good prospects?

Where are you located?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:00pm On Jul 23, 2017
impish:

If you want your kids to attend Catholic schools (some of the best schools in Canada are Catholic), then you would need to show a baptismal certificate. You should have yours available for inspection as proof of you/your kids' Catholic faith during enrollment.

Actually the rule of enrollement into catholic schools have changed. Three years ago, one would need to show a baptismal certificate to enrol the kids in catholic schools but now this is no longer a requirement. Anyone can enrol his/her kids in catholic school so long as the person agrees to the fact that his/her kids will be introduced to the catholic faith by the school.
My kids do attend a catholic school in London, Ontario. I was never asked to show any baptismal certificate when I first enrolled them 2 years ago given the change of the rule. But a year earlier a baptismal certificate was required.

But to be on the safe side, people should still check with the Catholic school board of the City where they intend to move to. Maybe this change has been implemented only in some jurisdictions and not across Canada.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 6:49pm On Jul 23, 2017
Awww! Am just seeing this, thanks for the insight boss. Please how can I go about gettting a shared apartment max of 3bedroom and less than 1km to western,is the same link you provided also applicable? what are the factors to put into consideration before taking up an offcampus housing and is there any street or part of Richmond one should look up to as I will be more frequent in spencer engineering building SEB(engineering option). Thanks in anticipation boss

TheCongo2:

For the most part, there are many good neighborhoods in London. London is very nice.
If you want my personal opinion, I would recommend that you get in touch with this agency https://www.clvgroup.com/ and ask them if they have any apartment available on Wonderland Road South, London, Ontario. This agency own a lot of buildings around the city.
When I first moved here, I rented from them one of the apartment at one of the buildings on Wonderland road south. Wow... that place was amazing.

There is only 1 police station in London, Ontario. The police station is located at the corner of Dundas and Adelaide Street. Please avoid that part of the city as it is drug infected and too many street hookers have also invaded the place. Most of the homeless shelters are located within that vicinity.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:36pm On Jul 23, 2017
TheCongo2:

Actually the rule of enrollement into catholic schools have changed. Three years ago, one would need to show a baptismal certificate to enrol the kids in catholic schools but now this is no longer a requirement. Anyone can enrol his/her kids in catholic school so long as the person agrees to the fact that his/her kids will be introduced to the catholic faith by the school.
My kids do attend a catholic school in London, Ontario. I was never asked to show any baptismal certificate when I first enrolled them 2 years ago given the change of the rule. But a year earlier a baptismal certificate was required.

But to be on the safe side, people should still check with the Catholic school board of the City where thru intend to move to. Maybe this change has been implemented only in some jurisdictions and not across Canada.
I inquired with a new Catholic school (opening in sept) not too far from my place in Calgary. I was told that I need to show baptisimal certificate...without that, we would be put on standby till they cater for all Catholic faith pupils.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 7:38pm On Jul 23, 2017
512:

Hello sir,

I intend to land in a couple of weeks as well via Montreal. Can I PM you please? Need some guidance. Thanks
are you heading to Winnipeg? Student visa? Royal air Maroc? 29th August? Murtala Muhammed?

Sorry for so many questions, just looking for who someone with similar case as the say two heads better than one

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:41pm On Jul 23, 2017
jossyco:
Please I need help about migrating to Canada, who knows a very good agent here in Nigeria. I asked here cos I've seen posts from very mature people here. please help
why dont you make use of the express entry thread on nairaland. The money you would pay an agent would go a long way with helping to settle if and when you arrive Canada.

https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/674

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 9:07pm On Jul 23, 2017
TheCongo2:

Where are you located?

In Ghana currently
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coolhayor: 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2017
U guys are doing a fantastic job right here. God bless u all. Can see a lot of peeps from d USA baby delivery section here.

Here is my question, Is there any1 who is into sales & marketing. I like to know what d prospects look like for a sales mgr with a Multinational landing next year. I still love sales & marketing. I know it wont b a bed of roses but i need ur experience & advice b4 dropping my letter here.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2017
salford1:

I inquired with a new Catholic school (opening in sept) not too far from my place in Calgary. I was told that I need to show baptisimal certificate...without that, we would be put on standby till they cater for all Catholic faith pupils.

Cool. Then the change was just specific to some jurisdictions . Thanks for the info
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:46pm On Jul 23, 2017
TheCongo2:

Cool. Then the change was just specific to some jurisdictions . Thanks for the info
Yup. we had my kid registered somewhere else incase we dont make the cut.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:33am On Jul 24, 2017
amindondee:

Baba, i dont think you are seeing our mails oooo. no reply yet oo shocked

Oga Benek, check again, I've responded to yours, smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:38am On Jul 24, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Not mine ooo. Had to resend it thinking you may have missed it, still no response.

Hi, my sister in health care, I've replied your email as well smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:22am On Jul 24, 2017
Ayoola03:
Awww! Am just seeing this, thanks for the insight boss. Please how can I go about gettting a shared apartment max of 3bedroom and less than 1km to western,is the same link you provided also applicable? what are the factors to put into consideration before taking up an offcampus housing and is there any street or part of Richmond one should look up to as I will be more frequent in spencer engineering building SEB(engineering option). Thanks in anticipation boss

Wow ... You know already about Richmond Street, I am impressed.

Anyway, I took my kids out today to get you some pics of Western University and its surroundings.
To answer your question, yes you can share a room in an apartment within 1 km from the University.
One way to go about it is to post a free ad on kijiji indicating that you are a WU student looking for a room starting September 2017.
You will have to open an account with kijiji and it is free https://www.kijiji.ca/h-london/1700214

There is one building near the university that I would like to recommend you. The address of the building is 1235 Richmond Street. OMG, this building looks like a five stars hotel. (Please see picture below)
A lot of Western University students rent into this building during the school year.

I went into the building to speak to the Front Desk lady.
She told me that a student who wants to share a room in this building should expect to spend within $600 to $900 Canadian per month. There is a Free shuttle bus running from the building to the university every hour I think. The ride may take 5 to 15 minutes, depending on which part of Western University you going. The Spenser Building is located next to Western Road which is on the other side of the Western University. So, it would take you about 10 to 15 minutes with the shuttle bus.

Now, This building (1235 Richmond Street) has a website luxelondon.ca
If you want to share an apartment, you can post an ad on the website under "find a roommate" http://www.luxelondon.ca/roommate-matching

For more information about the building call 519-913-3334 and ask to speak to Fernando or send a email to admin@luxelondon.ca

On a different note, there is a number of other buildings next to 1235 Richmond and they all seem to be nice. I didn't ask about them given that the building 1235 seems to be standing out of the pack and it seems to be the place where I have seen many Western University Students.

If you want to call the www.clvgroup.com, don't ask them about the apartment on Wonderland Road South given that this will be too far from Western University. Instead, the clvgroup has a set of building on 939 Western Road, not to far from the University . It seems like a lot of Western University students rent there as well. I asked a resident if there is a free shuttle bus for Western University students but she told me she doesn't know of any. However, there is a City bus going from there to Western university.

cc: jugzy

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:43am On Jul 24, 2017
Driving through Western University

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:48am On Jul 24, 2017
CLV group apartments on Western Road - This location isn't the best of the neighborhoods but it is just an okay place

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:49am On Jul 24, 2017
Downtown London Ontario (Richmond Street is where all the excitements happen)

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 5:12am On Jul 24, 2017
512:

Hello sir,

I intend to land in a couple of weeks as well via Montreal. Can I PM you please? Need some guidance. Thanks

No shakes
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Amakyzuu: 6:32am On Jul 24, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 7:26am On Jul 24, 2017
Wow shocked! You just made me so speechless boss, I really respect your personality, owing to the fact that you do take your time to point a green light at most questions asked by many ignoramus like me on this thread, may the good lord continue to perfect all that concerns you. Thanks a bunch! I so much appreciate it and All your points are well noted! kiss

TheCongo2:

Wow ... You know already about Richmond Street, I am impressed.

Anyway, I took my kids out today to get you some pics of Western University and its surroundings.
To answer your question, yes you can share a room in an apartment within 1 km from the University.
One way to go about it is to post a free ad on kijiji indicating that you are a WU student looking for a room starting September 2017.
You will have to open an account with kijiji and it is free https://www.kijiji.ca/h-london/1700214

There is one building near the university that I would like to recommend you. The address of the building is 1235 Richmond Street. OMG, this building looks like a five stars hotel. (Please see picture below)
A lot of Western University students rent into this building during the school year.

I went into the building to speak to the Front Desk lady.
She told me that a student who wants to share a room in this building should expect to spend within $600 to $900 Canadian per month. There is a Free shuttle bus running from the building to the university every hour I think. The ride may take 5 to 15 minutes, depending on which part of Western University you going. The Spenser Building is located next to Western Road which is on the other side of the Western University. So, it would take you about 10 to 15 minutes with the shuttle bus.

Now, This building (1235 Richmond Street) has a website luxelondon.ca
If you want to share an apartment, you can post an ad on the website under "find a roommate" http://www.luxelondon.ca/roommate-matching

For more information about the building call 519-913-3334 and ask to speak to Fernando or send a email to admin@luxelondon.ca

On a different note, there are a number of other buildings next to 1235 Richmond and they all seem to be nice. I didn't ask about the other ones given that the building 1235 seems to be standing out of the pack and it seems to be the place where I have seen many Western University Students.

If you want to call the www.clvgroup.com, don't ask them about the apartment on Wonderland Road South given that this will be too far from Western University. Instead, the clvgroup has a set of building on 939 Western Road, not to far from the University . It seems like a lot of Western University students rent there as well. I asked a resident if there is a free shuttle bus for Western University students but she told me she doesn't know of any. However, there is a City bus going from there to Western university.

cc: jugzy

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 7:32am On Jul 24, 2017
This will really go a long way in helping new uwo international graduate students, thanks @ TheCongo boss with a good heart cool

[quote author=TheCongo2 post=58768457]CLV group apartments on Western Road - This location isn't the best of the neighborhoods but it is just an okay place[/
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 9:40am On Jul 24, 2017
Blackbuddy:

No, you can update it later online. However if you fail to list the address on time, it delays the processing and receipt of your PR cards.

For the address where the PR card is to be sent, must this be in the same province where you are registered? I wont be able to spend six weeks (which seems to be the earliest time that the PR card will be available), So i am wondering if i will have to land where i can get someone to forward it down.

Modified:
Example: Can I land in Calgary and give a mailing address in Ottawa?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 9:55am On Jul 24, 2017
Hahaha! MummyJaygirls, even we are concerned about the weather. But shey na humans dey live there na? We will all survive and beyond that, thrive in Jesus Name.

Mrs O, mycanadianfling blog

MummyJaygirls:

We intend movin in December, Jesus take the wheel o. We better look for thick coats

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 9:59am On Jul 24, 2017
Thank you! Thank you! This is extremely useful. I believe the new rule makes a lot of sense, and I hope that this eventually gets implemented across Canada.

TheCongo2:

But to be on the safe side, people should still check with the Catholic school board of the City where they intend to move to. Maybe this change has been implemented only in some jurisdictions and not across Canada.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by impish: 10:01am On Jul 24, 2017
Thank you for this. I guess I will have to check.

salford1:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 10:53am On Jul 24, 2017
TheCongo2:

I'll really love to settle in London, Ontario but someone tried to discourage me recently. Said the place is filled with Hispanics and very low class immigrants but I haven't found anything online to substantiate this claim. I am still seriously considering settling there. Can you please give me your first-hand experience of this city please.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 11:03am On Jul 24, 2017
I checked with a friend who is currently @ Windsor...He reconfirmed the high quality of Catholic schools but stated that anyone choosing to settle in the GTA has to present baptismal certificates for parents (husband or wife wd suffice) & children..

impish:
Thank you for this. I guess I will have to check.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:22pm On Jul 24, 2017
yimiton:

I'll really love to settle in London, Ontario but someone tried to discourage me recently. Said the place is filled with Hispanics and very low class immigrants but I haven't found anything online to substantiate this claim. I am still seriously considering settling there. Can you please give me your first-hand experience of this city please.
na waoh. which one be low class immigrant again...lol.
I hope that "someone" is originally from a first world country for him or her to classify immigrants into classes based on some funny criteria.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:55pm On Jul 24, 2017
alt3r3g0:

For the address where the PR card is to be sent, must this be in the same province where you are registered? I wont be able to spend six weeks (which seems to be the earliest time that the PR card will be available), So i am wondering if i will have to land where i can get someone to forward it down.

Modified:
Example: Can I land in Calgary and give a mailing address in Ottawa?

If you land in Calgary and give the intake officials an address in Ottawa, there may be funny questions which I can't help you answer. You never know what goes on in the minds of this people at times and it's just common sense to avoid a scenario that leads to unnecessary questions. You can indicate to them instead that you will soon move from your friend's place to a place of your own in Calgary and would prefer the PR card to come to your address which you will indicate online once you settle down. This is a more satisfactory answer if you prefer this route. Then when you go online, affix your preferred Ottawa or any address which must be done within 180 days of your landing, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/changeaddress.asp

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:44pm On Jul 24, 2017
yimiton:

When I first read your comments, my first intention was to get a voice recorder to go around the City and let Londoners address your concern. But, then I realized I wasn't going to be able to upload the voice file on nairaland.

The person who told you that London is filled with Hispanics and very low class immigrants didn't paint the correct picture of London to you. London is by far what that person had described to you.

First of all, Canada is not the States. You will never find a congestion of Hispanic immigrants anywhere in Canada like you would in the States.
Do you know that Mexicans don't need a visa to enter Canada? Nevertheless, a lot of Mexicans would prefer going through the trouble of risking their lives by paying thousands dollars to smugglers to cross the US border illegally or to jump the wall between US and Mexico all for the sake of living in the United States. For reasons known only to Mexicans, they don't want to come to Canada where a visa isn't a requirement to them. And a trip to Canada by plane would be safer and cheaper to a Mexican than paying smuggler to enter the States illegally. I don't think there is any place in Canada where you can hear the Hispanic language on an ongoing basis unless you go to a Hispanic Church or involved with Hispanic people . I never heard Spanish on the streets of London from random people.

If someone told you that he had seen so many Hispanics and very low class immigrants in London, Ontario, I can only see one thing: This person was staying at a homeless shelter in London. The homeless shelter is the only place that would fit the description of the London that was painted in your post. Not only the shelter is the place you would meet many new comers (mostly refugees or asylum seekers) who are trying to settle in London or in Canada but also Canadians who for one reason or another had lost everything and are trying to get back on their feet.

Anyone who has full time employment in London, regardless of the job type, would be aware that the work force in London is mostly made of white. You were given an incorrect picture of London by someone I strongly suspect had never got involved into the fabric of live that makes the City of London. A colleague friend of mine who is French Canadian (white) had always complaint to me that London is the first city she had ever lived in that is so full of white people. She is used to diversity. She was born in Montreal and had lived in a numerous cities in Canada and in Bordeaux, France. According to her, London has the highest density of white population per square inch in Canada.

London, Ontario, is the only place where I have seen African immigrant single mothers purchase their first homes. I went to school in New York City, I had been to Montreal, Toronto and it is close to impossible to see a single black mother purchase her home in those cities. In London, Ontario, I didn't see just 1 but a good number of them. As a matter of fact, almost everyone I know who had moved here had been able to purchase their first home.

By the way, where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

19 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.