Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (383) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980558 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:47pm On Sep 21, 2018
olugere:
Mr Salford,

I have the experience of 7years power engineer, any assistance

I guess you meant Power Systems Engineer. Much depends on you and what career path you intend to follow. You would need to ask yourself if you want to pursue a designation as an engineer(BEng or Bsc Engr.) or as a technologist (HND or Applied Science degree), or want to get into the job market asap by pursuing a certificate here in Canada e.g Power and Process operators pupularly called Power Engineers in Canada - This differs from Power Engineers in Nigeria.
From my previous post, your options are many.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 9:20pm On Sep 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

grin grin grin na wah o, there is no way your quotation will not be higher now, you are tooo big to send a mail abi.
I will note that while preparing your proforma invoice grin grin
Lol baba is nor like that o.
I just wanted to help reduce your workload so u don't have to login, add number etc.

If you just click the link straight to WhatsApp.
Abeg o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 9:25pm On Sep 21, 2018
cheromel:

Please did you carry a prescription for the medicines? I have been thinking of how I ll carry meds like antibiotics, antimalarial ,ventolin for my son, diclofenac tablets and some stomach meds like buscopan that will last for some months. I don't know weather to get prescription for them or just carry it in checkin luggage. I no want wahala.

No prescription. You know everything in naija is almost off the shelf so i just bought at will
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by habeeb246(m): 9:29pm On Sep 21, 2018
habeeb246:
Helllo people, I have apple store gift card 500 cad If needed, not iTunes. It was a gift from someone, 150/1 thank
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by omambala: 12:02am On Sep 22, 2018
[quote author=luffyhaki post=71233290] Group link Sent[/quote
please can you also send same to me. am landing soon. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by omambala: 1:28am On Sep 22, 2018
luffyhaki:
Do we have any Whatsapp group for those in or interested in migrating to Alberta? I am interested in joining same..Cheers

hello, please send the whatsapp link to me - comambala@yahoo.com thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kylexy61(m): 1:29am On Sep 22, 2018
Heavy storm in GTA today.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaincanada: 6:24am On Sep 22, 2018
oohunt:
This thread is about Life in Canada for immigrants or Permanent Residents.

It is an avenue for people that have emigrated to Canada (with their families) to share their experiences to help future hopefuls.

Kindly share your personal experiences and comments on:

* When you landed at the airport?
* What are the immigration rules to follow?
* How do you carry all that cash with you? For example: a family of 5 will need $25,923.
* Which province did you settle in and why.
* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighborhood, mortgage plans, proximity to work etc.
* How easy was it to settle in, with your kids? How did you go about finding the right schools for them? What is their school system like for toddlers (age 5 and below)?
* Can a mother combine work and taking care of the kids with the husband being in Nigeria?
* What culture shock have you experienced?
* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather
* Are there Nigerian food/restaurants etc? Are they very expensive?
* Can one start a business (exportation, consultancy) in Canada?
* How much does your family survive on in a month?
* And any other ...

This thread is for Living In Canada. For any questions outside this to go:

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13:
(https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part)

OR

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2:
(https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled) for the Permanent Residency process which is how most of us got here. 40manlappy has given a beautiful summary on how to get started and of everything you need to know on the first page. I hope to do something similar here soon.

We Landed in St.John's International Airport Newfoundland and went through immigration before heading to our final destination (Halifax, Nova Scotia). Going through immigration was straight forward, it took less than 30 minutes. We already had a temporary accommodation arranged so we gave the information for our PR cards to be sent there.

You are required by law to declare any currency valued at 10,000 Canadian dollars or more. It is not illegal to carry more than that, you are just required to declare it. Checkout Canada border agency for more details: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html. Some banks in Canada provide the option to open an account before you land in Canada if you are worried about travelling with a lot of cash. Scotia Bank: https://startright.scotiabank.com/international-application.html and RBC royal bank: http://www.rbc.com/newcomers/moving-to-canada-resident.html offer these options. You can contact them for more details.

We Settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We came in through the Nova Scotia Provincial Nomination Program, we choose Halifax as it was the capital and most developed.

I love Halifax because it is not to small or too big. There are 2 african grocery stores there, so finding food stuff was not a problem. Also most supermarkets sell alternatives which can be substituted in place Nigerian food ingredients. I wrote about this on my blog: https://9jaincanada.com/. We stayed in a temporary accommodation for a month, this gave us a chance to get to know the city before committing to signing a rental lease for a year. We choose to rent in the Clayton park neighbourhood where most people with families live, it also had access to local amenties such as shopping, supermarkets, public transportation etc. This was important to us as to we were not driving at that point. Point2homes is a good place to start if you want to have an idea of how much it costs to rent or buy a home in your chosen city: https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Rental-Properties-Listings.html

We choose to rent for a while, however if you are sure you will be permanently located where you land there are mortgage plans for newcomers with no credit history. You can be a home owner with as little as 5% down payment. You can buy a decent 2 bedroom home for about $250,000, this is affordable compared to house prices in Vancouver and Toronto.

Settling in was tough as our little one was under a year old. My husband was the first to go to work, I followed after finding a suitable daycare for my little one. I called around and went for tours before finally choosing a daycare. Children start elementary school at the age of five except in Ontario where they start at the age of 4. There are english and french-immersion schools available, no fees are charged. French immersion schools teach kids mostly in French with some english. Teaching in french reduces as they advance classes. This gives your child the opportunity to be bilingual which also opens creates more opportunities for them in the job market. If you get the chance to enrol them there, take it.

If you are coming to Canada without your significant other, it is possible to combine work and taking care of kids. It will be challenging, but planning ahead will help a lot. You can enrol kids who have started school in an after school program, childcare fees are subsidized if you earn below a certain amount annually. Also have backup for when kids are sick and sent home from daycare or school. Talk to people in the Nigerian community and babysitters in advance so you can compile a backup list for unplanned emergencies.

There wasn't really much of a culture shock for me, people in Halifax are nice and were always understanding and ready to help. Take it all in your stride and don't worry too much, you will be fine.

The trick to surviving winter period is investing in proper winter clothing and keeping up to date on the weather forecast. I will be writing about this in full details in my blog this sunday: https://9jaincanada.com/.

There is currently no Nigerian food restaurant in Halifax, however i have visited some in Toronto and Calgary. Food is quite expensive if you are comparing it to how much you would buy it in Nigeria. For Canadian standards, it is affordable.

Yes, you can start any business you want, there are numerous programs to support newcomers looking to start businesses in Canada. Your local immigrant serving organization can help you with this. ISANS is the one available in Halifax: http://www.isans.ca/ . They run training programs for people looking to start businesses in Canada.

Cost of living in a month is a personal decision to be made individually as preferences vary.

If you cannot do without to the hustle and bustle of Lagos, then Halifax might not be for you. Calgary has a huge Nigerian community after Toronto, it is also more affordable in terms of house prices and cost of living when compared to Toronto and Vancouver. This might be the place for you. Don't be dismayed if you also don't like the city you land in, gather some experience while you're there, then package yourself and research where to eventually call home.

91 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 22, 2018
Blackbuddy:
Hello all, I just got this. For those interested professionals in the GTA - Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, this is a nice opportunity to network and see what's happening in various sectors and industries. I'll make sure to be there smiley

Hello sir. How may I contact you off nairaland?
I have some questions I would like to ask you in private. I can't pm you because my nl email address is no longer functional.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by degame2468(m): 6:49am On Sep 22, 2018
[quote author=habeeb246 post=71407509][/quote]

Hi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:01am On Sep 22, 2018
Sis how did you book your flight. My card keeps getting declined.

GlitteringStar:

I had a good experience with them too. Though, mine was business class not economy. We really enjoyed ourselves. We had a 5.5 hour layover at Cairo. The time flew by so fast that my mum thought we had only spent an hour. cheesy I didn’t feel the long flight at all. They are not so bad in my opinion. The good thing is their fare is also not too expensive.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by phf2be: 8:57am On Sep 22, 2018
rainazoe:
Please how does one book Egypt air from naija.
You can book directly on their website and pay with a card or use a travel agency. I got a good deal on wakanow.com.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 9:31am On Sep 22, 2018
salford1:

Engineers earned btw 60k and 120k depending on experience. Technologists earned between 85k to 150k. Engineering managers earned circa 160k last year (over 14 years experience), electricians earned circa 140 to 160k (1 to 3 years experience). Power and process operators, 1 year experience and above (150k up to 200k).

However; unskilled blue collar would pay much lower than the quoted figure. When i worked unskilled labour in calgary, i was only earning $18.50 bucks an hour. If i moved to alberta when the oil sand was booming, it was easy to make 100k as an unskilled labour, but those days are gone.

why do these Technologist earn so much more than Engineers? Is it that their job exposes them to risk or is more laborious? do private firms pay them as high as this too? I wouldn't mind switching from an Engineer career to a Technologist for this o. I also noticed that on payscale.com, It is claimed that Engineer's salary is higher than Technologist's, could it be Technologist earn certain extra allowances and bonuses that makes their total income higher than that of an Engineer? I really don't mind switching from an Engineer to technologist or anything else if the money is right.

Also, as per unskilled blue collar labour, what did you need to get in? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kmgb: 11:00am On Sep 22, 2018
9jaincanada:

If you cannot do without to the hustle and bustle of Lagos, then Halifax might not be for you. Calgary has a huge Nigerian community after Toronto, it is also more affordable in terms of house prices and cost of living when compared to Toronto and Vancouver. This might be the place for you. Don't be dismayed if you also don't like the city you land in, gather some experience while you there, then package yourself and research where to eventually call home.

Very insightful, thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 12:04pm On Sep 22, 2018
Pls I need a quick response. Do they allow one to carry items like dry fish and stock fish?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:24pm On Sep 22, 2018
Oh thank you. My bank debit card was declined when I wanted to pay. I'd check wakanow.

phf2be:

You can book directly on their website and pay with a card or use a travel agency. I got a good deal on wakanow.com.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Trikings2000: 2:16pm On Sep 22, 2018
mzjennypher:
Hello everyone pls is it wise to book Airbnb for one month? I intend to stay in Mississauga near square one .landing first week Nov

I think it is a good idea as it helps you make informed decisions on where to live. Getting a permanent apartment may not be so easy afterall for new immigrants, hence I think it gives one the time to sewrch for one while getting to study the environment. If u do get a job it also gives u the opportunity to settle close to your work area. I just booked an Airbnb apartment for 28days in Mississauga and will be landing on Nov 12.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:29pm On Sep 22, 2018
einsteino:

why do these Technologist earn so much more than Engineers? Is it that their job exposes them to risk or is more laborious? do private firms pay them as high as this too? I wouldn't mind switching from an Engineer career to a Technologist for this o. I also noticed that on payscale.com, It is claimed that Engineer's salary is higher than Technologist's, could it be Technologist earn certain extra allowances and bonuses that makes their total income higher than that of an Engineer? I really don't mind switching from an Engineer to technologist or anything else if the money is right.

Also, as per unskilled blue collar labour, what did you need to get in? Thanks
Wages vary by employer and province. Canada is a unique country when it comes to wages. I can't really say if techs earn more or engineers earn more. You could have technologists earning lower or higher than engineers in private firms or government firm. Some reasons are given below:

1. If in a government role, Technologists and trades people are unionized and have a contract they renew every two or three years. This contracts increases their wages by a certain percentage every year. The union also tries to get them a sweet spot on the tax bands.

2. Both government and private firms techs technologists and tradesperson) are not placed on monthly wage like engineers. They are usually placed on hourly wages. Some work a 12 hours week e.g power engineering technologists and instrumentation technologists that are found in oil sands operations, hospitals, power generating stations etc, Civit techs in summer season (road maintenance). This factor also leads to enormous amount of overtime hours.

3. Some employers would recruit engineers, trades people and technologists for the same job e.g substation maintemance, and would offer same wage to them.

4. Engineers salary are low when they are in- training, but it starts increasing when they become PEng.

5. It's easier for engineers to land management roles than techs. Problem is that management roles doesnt always equal more money except you get towards the vp/director level in firms. Note that techs can also get to that level, but you would usually find more engineers in management positions especially in private firms.

These reasons are from my experience in Western Canada (Sask and Alberta). Natural resource extraction has somehow created an anomaly on how much people earn or how wages are structured. Payscale/wages might be very different in Ontario, Quebec or other parts of Canada.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amanonymous(m): 5:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
please guys am getting married next year. i tried relocating to the united state i couldn't get a hold of it pls guys i dont know anything about Canadian visa that's why am here . i need someone to tell me on the steps to take for the immigration application. God bless
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 6:21pm On Sep 22, 2018
I hope our Ottawa buddies are ok? God be with you guys over there.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-storm-hydro-war-scene-1.4834710

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaincanada: 6:40pm On Sep 22, 2018
Kmgb:

Very insightful, thanks

You're welcome.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaincanada: 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2018
mzjennypher:
Hello everyone pls is it wise to book Airbnb for one month? I intend to stay in Mississauga near square one .landing first week Nov

Yes it is, we booked airbnb for a month before finally deciding where to live. It really helped a lot as we got to know the city before committing to signing a year rental lease. I have written about things to consider and places to look when choosing temporary accommodation on my blog: https://9jaincanada.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-finding-the-perfect-temporary-accommodation. i hope this helps.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 6:56pm On Sep 22, 2018
Wow. That's rough. Thought tornados occur only in the prairies.
Newmum0615:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2018
Safe drive everyone. Already winter road conditions in the Prairie.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by modath(f): 8:17pm On Sep 22, 2018

Anyone in need of Canadian Dollars in CANADA, to bank, to pay rent, or for any sundry needs not exceeding $5k (for now) can message me ..TOTALLY LEGIT funds...(Kindly investigate my antecedent on this platform before making contact)

I'm active on the E currency thread in the business section......

WhatsApp link on Siggy.....

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 8:25pm On Sep 22, 2018
salford1:

Wages vary by employer and province. Canada is a unique country when it comes to wages. I can't really say if techs earn more or engineers earn more. You could have technologists earning lower or higher than engineers in private firms or government firm. Some reasons are given below:

1. If in a government role, Technologists and trades people are unionized and have a contract they renew every two or three years. This contracts increases their wages by a certain percentage every year. The union also tries to get them a sweet spot on the tax bands.

2. Both government and private firms techs technologists and tradesperson) are not placed on monthly wage like engineers. They are usually placed on hourly wages. Some work a 12 hours week e.g power engineering technologists and instrumentation technologists that are found in oil sands operations, hospitals, power generating stations etc, Civit techs in summer season (road maintenance). This factor also leads to enormous amount of overtime hours.

3. Some employers would recruit engineers, trades people and technologists for the same job e.g substation maintemance, and would offer same wage to them.

4. Engineers salary are low when they are in- training, but it starts increasing when they become PEng.

5. It's easier for engineers to land management roles than techs. Problem is that management roles doesnt always equal more money except you get towards the vp/director level in firms. Note that techs can also get to that level, but you would usually find more engineers in management positions especially in private firms.

These reasons are from my experience in Western Canada (Sask and Alberta). Natural resource extraction has somehow created an anomaly on how much people earn or how wages are structured. Payscale/wages might be very different in Ontario, Quebec or other parts of Canada.

Well said. The inflated salaries in Alberta has definitely increased the national averages. But lastly, people who recently came from naija are surprised when a "laborer" is earning more than an engineer. Salaries here are determined by different means, not by if you have a fancy degree or not.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 22, 2018
The gurus in the house. How did you ship your stuff down to canada o��� help a sister!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kylexy61(m): 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
Newmum0615:

Yeah. Apparently, the tumultuous weather yesterday was caused by an approaching cold front in Ontario, which kind of interacted turbulently with the existing warm weather. Yesterday marked the official end of summer in southern Ontario (climate-wise). Now that the cold front has made landfall, temperatures are going to drop significantly.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oolawepo(m): 11:54pm On Sep 22, 2018
Well done for the good job. This is my first time on this forum, am planning to immigrate to Canada very soon and I want to know how I can be relevant as an IT professional. B.SC Computer science and M.SC Information Technology. Pls advice me. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:46am On Sep 23, 2018
kneehighbootz:

Hello sir. How may I contact you off nairaland?
I have some questions I would like to ask you in private. I can't pm you because my nl email address is no longer functional.

Thank you.

Hi, please get a new address for NL and send me a PM then I can try to assist with your questions for privacy reasons.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nekdr: 6:24am On Sep 23, 2018
Please any group for those in calgary. Just landed and i need to connect with people
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:04am On Sep 23, 2018
salford1:

Thanks so much for the reply. I would like to ask:

2. by 12 hours week, do you mean they work for 12hours a day, all through the week(12 hours for 7days) shocked ?

4. It would seem even when they do get the P.Eng, their salary only increases to what some other sectors earn after 2 years experience.

5. Since Engineering management roles don't mean more money, why do people care to take on more responsibility? do they do it just for the passion? or does it offer a better work-life balance?

I had hoped to continue in consulting engineering, but I am beginning to think what is the point? it is a life of stress, mandatory continuous professional devt and now less money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.