Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (385) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988757 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 24, 2018
modath:

Anyone in need of Canadian Dollars in CANADA, to bank, to pay rent, or for any sundry needs not exceeding $5k (for now) can message me ..TOTALLY LEGIT funds...(Kindly investigate my antecedent on this platform before making contact)

I'm active on the E currency thread in the business section......

WhatsApp link on Siggy.......

grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ICTBEYONDBORDER: 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2018
Please what food stuffs can I bring to Canada.I will be joining you guys by December. Please kindly advise me. Thanks so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 5:23pm On Sep 24, 2018
No meat or anything that has soil on it.

ICTBEYONDBORDER:
Please what food stuffs can I bring to Canada.I will be joining you guys by December. Please kindly advise me. Thanks so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adolfdenis(m): 5:36pm On Sep 24, 2018
TFLASHOGEE:
men it the house have observe the tread carefully and it seems sport is not common in Canada cause I don't see any football related talks on here.
Are you a sportsman sir??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TFLASHOGEE(m): 6:38pm On Sep 24, 2018
adolfdenis:
Are you a sportsman sir??
lol am a sport loving person especially football ( soccer) so that why I asked the men in the house how they cope with the time difference on match days

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ICTBEYONDBORDER: 6:42pm On Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for this info. I appreciate.
Akingsqueen:
No meat or anything that has soil on it.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 7:54pm On Sep 24, 2018
Hello every one.
Please I need your advice.
When one comes into Canada with US dollars and want to open an account, what is the best option?
Is it more beneficial to change it to CAD in the bank or not?

Secondly, it appears I need to get a new phone alongside a sim card as my 9ja phone is not compatible. So which network is more newcomer friendly that wouldn't require credit history and all and also not expensive to maintain?
Please I need advise urgently.
Thank you all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SixSigma1(m): 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2018
einsteino:

why do these Technologist earn so much more than Engineers? Is it that their job exposes them to risk or is more laborious? do private firms pay them as high as this too? I wouldn't mind switching from an Engineer career to a Technologist for this o. I also noticed that on payscale.com, It is claimed that Engineer's salary is higher than Technologist's, could it be Technologist earn certain extra allowances and bonuses that makes their total income higher than that of an Engineer? I really don't mind switching from an Engineer to technologist or anything else if the money is right.

Also, as per unskilled blue collar labour, what did you need to get in? Thanks

einsteino:

Thanks so much for the reply. I would like to ask:

5. Since Engineering management roles don't mean more money, why do people care to take on more responsibility? do they do it just for the passion? or does it offer a better work-life balance?

I had hoped to continue in consulting engineering, but I am beginning to think what is the point? it is a life of stress, mandatory continuous professional devt and now less money.

einsteino:

just surprised? I would say I am stupefied cheesy

I really would like to know all the details of that "different means". My interest is to go where the money is, or at least where the pay is commensurate to the stress and challenge. Title and status is not my turf. I wasn't born an Engineer, I chose to be, so I can as well choose to redeploy my skill set and energy to an alternative career, even retrain, if it turns out to be more rewarding.

einsteino:

Thank you so much for this. I'm at a crossroad now. I am scheduled to begin an M.Eng in Civil Engineering program(co-op option), needed that to help with the Canadian education and Canadian experience. After this, I was hoping to get an E.I.T position but since I can earn more in an alternate career, I am really beginning to reconsider.

@ einsteino:

Before you go ahead to change your career plan, let me chip in from my personal experience as a Professional Engineer in individual contributor roles and as an Engineer in management roles in the private sector (either publicly traded or not publicly traded but not one man show type of company).

To start with, whether you are an Engineer, a Technologist, a Technician or a Trade person, your salary/wage depends on the industry you work in. Meaning that you should be comparing take home for an Engineer say in the steel manufacturing industry with the take home for Technologist, Technician or Trade person in the same steel manufacturing industry and not with Technologist, Technician of Trade person in another industry (like oil & gas because we know that oil & gas pays more in general than many other industries). Note that I am using the word “take home” instead of salary/wage. There is a reason for that and you will know why later in my write up.

No doubt the technologist, technician and trade person make a lot of money that many of us coming from Nigeria will not understand how and why but if you do the correct comparison as I explained above and also from my personal experience (working in automobile manufacturing industry, steel manufacturing industry and presently in oil & gas industry) you will realize that Engineers in a specific industry make more money than Technologist, Technician or Trade person in that same industry. This is why as you mentioned above payscale.com claims that Engineers make more than Technologist. Now here are the facts to support my point:

First, in my personal experience as an Engineer (individual contributor) in both automobile manufacturing industry and steel manufacturing industry (both in Ontario), if we were expected to work over-time (i.e. working more than 8 hours on a work day or working on Saturday, Sunday or statutory holiday), we get paid overtime as well. The amount ranges from one and half to double our calculated hourly rate. Yes, we are salaried employee but our salary is based on a 40 hour work week or 2080 hours in a year. So, the base hourly rate is calculated by dividing our annual salary by 2080 hours. While the overtime pay is being factored into the take home pay being reported here for the technologist, technician etc I don’t see it being factored in for the engineers that are also being paid overtime (in the private sector at least). Hence it is coming up as if they are making more than Engineers. Another aspect of Engineers take home pay that the technologist, technician etc are not paid in many private companies (because these people are most of the time unionized) is performance bonus and also being given stock option (for publicly traded private company) or profit sharing (for not publicly traded private company). In some years, your bonus could be as high as your annual salary (and it could be as low as nothing in some years especially during recession). So, as an Engineer, if you add your base salary, your overtime pay (if you are required to work overtime), your bonus (which I have always been paid least 4 different years in every 5 year period for example) and stock option (or profit sharing) you are looking at a take home that is more than what a technologist, technician or trade (with the same number of years of experience as you) will be taking home.

Now to my personal experience in management roles in the steel manufacturing industry (Ontario) and presently in the oil and gas industry (Alberta), all I can say is that if you have the opportunity to be hired or promoted into management role and your goal is to make money please take it. For most people (maybe not everybody) money is a key motivating factor that made us strive to get into management. Yes, in management role you work more than 40 hours in a week most of the time which you do not get paid for. The part of your work that will mainly make you work over 40 hours a week are mainly attending one management meeting or the other, writing one report or the other etc. However, while you don’t get paid for overtime you get the following: Performance bonus (which could be as high as double your base salary or as low as nothing), stock option, actual stock (this is different from stock option), profit sharing (if it is not a publicly traded private company). When it comes to your take home in management role especially in the middle level management role (Senior Manager/Director and Vice President) or senior level management role (Senior Vice President and C-Level), all I can say is that when you get into management you will never go back (similar to the saying that when you go black you will never go back). Even in the starting level management role (Supervisors and Managers), you will never regret being there.

@ einsteino: Take all of the above into consideration before your career plan.

25 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mikkyphp(m): 9:03pm On Sep 24, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Hahaha burmanthope rd w and mavis. U nko?
hahah...Burnhamthorpe rd w and credit woodlands...we be neighbours
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 9:35pm On Sep 24, 2018
mikkyphp:

hahah...Burnhamthorpe rd w and credit woodlands...we be neighbours

Wow yes o. U dey house make i show.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 9:53pm On Sep 24, 2018
Great post.
Referencing your moniker, what are the job prospects for six sigma certification.
Thinking of doing IASSC Lean Six Sigma certification. Background is Engineering. Work experience is in manufacturing.
SixSigma1:

Now to my personal experience in management roles in the steel manufacturing industry (Ontario) and presently in the oil and gas industry (Alberta), all I can say is that if you have the opportunity to be hired or promoted into management role and your goal is to make money please take it. For most people (maybe not everybody) money is a key motivating factor that made us strive to get into management. Yes, in management role you work more than 40 hours in a week most of the time which you do not get paid for. The part of your work that will mainly make you work over 40 hours a week are mainly attending one management meeting or the other, writing one report or the other etc. However, while you don’t get paid for overtime you get the following: Performance bonus (which could be as high as double your base salary or as low as nothing), stock option, actual stock (this is different from stock option), profit sharing (if it is not a publicly traded private company).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Trikings2000: 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Hahaha burmanthope rd w and mavis. U nko?

Wow...Nice one....will be landing in Copseholm Trail which is not far off

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 10:41pm On Sep 24, 2018
Trikings2000:

Wow...Nice one....will be landing in Copseholm Trail which is not far off

Nothing do you...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 10:55pm On Sep 24, 2018
SixSigma1:

While the overtime pay is being factored into the take home pay being reported here for the technologist, technician etc I don’t see it being factored in for the engineers that are also being paid overtime (in the private sector at least).

The overall pay reported in the initial post actually considered what everyone made in my cooperation for that year. OTs are included.

But then again, my example was for a government firm, and OT/bonuses for non-unionized tech staff are rare. The tax payers are always watching everymove we make.

"Total" pay doesnt are not always higher for workers in the same company or industry based on level of education. Some process operators popularly called power engineering technologists made over $200k, and this is around how much they make every year. These are guys with a diploma and around 5 years of work experience. This is more than their director's wage which is around $190k. The director might never cross the $200k mark till he retires. Non of our directors are also less than 50 years of age.

I stopped at senior engineering managers (around $160k per year). Most Engineering cap around here at my place of work. I excluded Senior Management (VPs and Directors) out of my posted figures. Reason being that they are a very tiny faction of the cooperation. It's a case of many are called, but few are chosen. e.g My employer has around 6,000 staff. That is a large cooperation by Canadian standards. Out of our 12 VPs, only 5 are Engs and 1 is a Technologist. We have around 20 Engineering Directors scatted around deverent business units.

However; a few of my colleagues have moved on to private firms for bonuses/stock options. They chose money over job security. A friend just moved on to Eaton last month for that reason..

The pay in the west is sort of messed up. An Electrician on a team i worked with also resigned last year to work for a firm that pays him $1000 per day as a contractor in Northern Alberta. This is almost equiavalent to a Family Physician's wage in Canada.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SixSigma1(m): 11:31pm On Sep 24, 2018
joo2018:
Great post.
Referencing your moniker, what are the job prospects for six sigma certification.
Thinking of doing IASSC Lean Six Sigma certification. Background is Engineering. Work experience is in manufacturing.

The job prospect for an Engineer with Lean Six Sigma certification at the minimum Black Belt level was excellent about 10-15 years ago when I ventured into it. While currently, the prospect may not be excellent but it is still VERY GOOD and I would advice you to consider it as an Engineer. Infact, that certification was what paved the way for me into management roles. My first two posts on this Nairaland platform in 2006 was about Lean Six Sigma. See the posts here:

https://www.nairaland.com/10173/six-sigma-black-belt-career#279217

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SixSigma1(m): 11:45pm On Sep 24, 2018
salford:

But then again, my example was for a government firm, and OT/bonuses for non-unionized tech staff are rare. The tax payers are always watching everymove we make.

I totally understand that you are referring to government work in your post. I only tried to chip in with what is applicable in the private sector so that people can see the whole picture.

salford:

"Total" pay doesnt are not always higher for workers in the same company or industry based on level of education. Some process operators popularly called power engineering technologists made over $200k, and this is around how much they make every year. These are guys with a diploma and around 5 years of work experience. This is more than their director's wage which is around $190k. The director might never cross the $200k mark till he retires. Non of our directors are also less than 50 years of age.

Again, this is only possible with government work and I totally understand why (tax payer's money). Trust me, in all the three industries I have worked in and currently working in (private organizations), the base salary alone (not including bonuses, stocks etc) at Senior Manager / Director level is way more than these number. When you now add bonus, stock, stock option etc you are talking about armed robber take home.

salford:

However; a few of my colleagues have moved on to private firms for bonuses/stock options. They chose money over job security. A friend just moved on to Eaton last month for that reason..

Gbam! There you go. The money is probably more important to them now at this point in their life / career than the job security that government work surely offers. I would do the same thing.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mikkyphp(m): 11:52pm On Sep 24, 2018
Fortissimo502:

PM me your number
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 11:59pm On Sep 24, 2018
I no sabi snap fine pictures o, so please manage these. Fall... winter is coming! Around my apartment Calgary SW

26 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:39am On Sep 25, 2018
SixSigma1:

I totally understand that you are referring to government work in your post. I only tried to chip in with what is applicable in the private sector so that people can see the whole picture.

Again, this is only possible with government work and I totally understand why (tax payer's money). Trust me, in all the three industries I have worked in and currently working in (private organizations), the base salary alone (not including bonuses, stocks etc) at Senior Manager / Director level is way more than these number. When you now add bonus, stock, stock option etc you are talking about armed robber take home.

Gbam! There you go. The money is probably more important to them now at this point in their life / career than the job security that government work surely offers. I would do the same thing.
I noticed that those that move are usually immigrants. Dey too like money grin - (Jokes).

I worked for a Consultancy in Calgary. Staff strenght was just over 50, and pay wasn't great. I got laid off during the bust after spending just over 1 year at the company. Since I moved into a government owned cooperation, I have been reluctant to even check out private firms again.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mikkyphp(m): 12:54am On Sep 25, 2018
Fortissimo502:

how far.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:57am On Sep 25, 2018
merrymum:
I no sabi snap fine pictures o, so please manage these. Fall... winter is coming! Around my apartment Calgary SW
Not bad at all. Amateur pics are better.
Fall is officially here.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Pipes1759: 1:46am On Sep 25, 2018
Hi guys, quick one pls...how true is it that if your nigerian drivers license has no driving history of up to two years..you cant use it to get class five...i did fresh license capturing before leaving naija and i dont want to waste dhl money for nothing....gurus on this matter, ur help is appreciated grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 6:38am On Sep 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply.
SixSigma1:

The job prospect for an Engineer with Lean Six Sigma certification at the minimum Black Belt level was excellent about 10-15 years ago when I ventured into it. While currently, the prospect may not be excellent but it is still VERY GOOD and I would advice you to consider it as an Engineer. Infact, that certification was what paved the way for me into management roles. My first two posts on this Nairaland platform in 2006 was about Lean Six Sigma. See the posts here:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 8:38am On Sep 25, 2018
SixSigma1:

@ einsteino:

Before you go ahead to change your career plan, let me chip in from my personal experience as a Professional Engineer in individual contributor roles and as an Engineer in management roles in the private sector (either publicly traded or not publicly traded but not one man show type of company).

@ einsteino: Take all of the above into consideration before your career plan.

Wow! You all are so kind. I wouldnt have minded paying to get this info, but here you guys are, sacrificing your precious time to offer it on a platter of gold for free. I cant be thankful enough for the indepth analysis on this topic you all have provided me with. Thanks so much Salford1, Maternal and SixSigma1

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:13am On Sep 25, 2018
einsteino:

Wow! You all are so kind. I wouldnt have minded paying to get this info, but here you guys are, sacrificing your precious time to offer it on a platter of gold for free. I cant be thankful enough for the indepth analysis on this topic you all have provided me with. Thanks so much Salford1, Maternal and SixSigma1
You are welcome boss.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 9:29am On Sep 25, 2018
The area dey very fine, you no need to sabi snap well and the picture go sure come out perfect. hehehehe

beautiful pix

merrymum:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 9:48am On Sep 25, 2018
Can someone please help with this. ��
Akingsqueen:
Hello every one.
Please I need your advice.
When one comes into Canada with US dollars and want to open an account, what is the best option?
Is it more beneficial to change it to CAD in the bank or not?

Secondly, it appears I need to get a new phone alongside a sim card as my 9ja phone is not compatible. So which network is more newcomer friendly that wouldn't require credit history and all and also not expensive to maintain?
Please I need advise urgently.
Thank you all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sect(m): 9:53am On Sep 25, 2018
SixSigma1:

Is it useful to non-Engineers? Especially one with general administration experience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 25, 2018
My people! Good morning from this side! My ontario people i greet.

So i have a friend coming in to new brunswick next month and she has a few questions to help her with settling down with her family. I’ve told her to open an account today though so she can post her enquiries!

New brunswick people! Say hiii!�������
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IAMCOMING: 11:06am On Sep 25, 2018
[quote author=9jaincanada post=71412967]

We Landed in St.John's International Airport Newfoundland and went through immigration before heading to our final destination (Halifax, Nova Scotia). Going through immigration was straight forward, it took less than 30 minutes. We already had a temporary accommodation arranged so we gave the information for our PR cards to be sent there.

Thank you so much for this...I have been looking forward to something on Halifax here!! will check out your blog also.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 11:07am On Sep 25, 2018
threadstone:

How may I be of service?

Hows life there apart from the cold and mosquitoes?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:17am On Sep 25, 2018
salford1:

I noticed that those that move are usually immigrants. Dey too like money grin - (Jokes).

I worked for a Consultancy in Calgary. Staff strenght was just over 50, and pay wasn't great. I got laid off during the bust after spending just over 1 year at the company. Since I moved into a government owned cooperation, I have been reluctant to even check out private firms again.

grin but Baba wetin we for like before? Cold? Lol... And you know once one moves abroad, folks at home erroneously assume you are swimming in money and feel a good portion of their bills should be yours.

Some of us are deputy parents a.k.a eldest child/son, we no get choice than to follow the money o, so long as e legit.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.