Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984268 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 9:28am On Aug 04, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response....I have a few questions:

For someone that has about 5yrs work experience in naija and say maybe a year break from work (for home keeping reasons) and decides to go the internship route to refresh on skills & gain 'Canadian work experience', what would be the person's fate after the internship period? What I mean is could such one still be placed at least close to mid level or?

Secondly, I read some info on requirements for internship by most of those big coys...eg Accenture (CGPA requirements et Al)....would it be same requirements for new immigrants?

Your usual kind response would be highly appreciated!

Blackbuddy:

Please pardon the delay in replying. The training programs could come in the form of those organized by settlement agencies, bridging programs and/or internships.

Let me illustrate based on my experience and research with examples;

Access Employment, http://accesemployment.ca/index.php/working-in-your-sector

They have great sector specific training programs which help internationally trained professionals to understand the Canadian work environment and prepare you for focused job search. They aid with resume writing, interview prep and most importantly, networking. Please use the link above to research/contact them

COSTI, http://www.costi.org/programs/employment.php

They extensive expertise and experience in operating successful employment programs aimed specifically at assisting internationally trained individuals to obtain meaningful employment. Please see their link above as well.

Career Edge
, https://www.careeredge.ca/for-job-seekers/register-iqp/

They assist experienced newcomers by connecting Canadian employers to job seekers through a paid internship. Following the internship, you are better equipped to tackle the wider job market and may be retained by your employer on a permanent, elevated basis.

YMCA Employment Services, http://ymca.ca/What-We-Offer/Employment-Services

Their programs are more general in nature for those who want opportunities in lower level work opportunities or trade occupations and youths. They also have placement opportunities, mentorship and one on one support.

Dixie Bloor Neighborhood Centre
, http://dixiebloor.ca/employment-2/job-search-workshops-for-newcomers-to-canada/

They have short job search workshops which are designed to help you identify steps to reach your employment goals and understand specific occupations in Canada. They also teach you how to get connected with mentoring programs, job development, business directories etc.

Dufferin-Peel’s Adult Education Centres, http://www3.dpcdsb.org/programs-services/adult-education/work-experience-co-op-programs

They offer a range of training programs that provide development in professional and language skills with co-op placements.

Newcomer Center of Peel, http://www.ncpeel.ca/index.php/services/look-for-employment

They also have training programs.

The Mentoring Partnership, http://www.thementoringpartnership.com/mentoring/mentee/

A great way to get guidance from a professional working in your field of experience, I am a registered Mentor with this organization.

For general newcomer assistance, how to learn about child care assistance, to do your taxes, general job search, how to register for things available to newcomers, try Centre for Education and Training, https://www.tcet.com/newcomer-info-services/locations

This is not an exhaustive list please but just a few quick examples of where you can go to get assistance in the GTA, Ontario. For those outside Ontario, please check here and research your target province and city, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/services/index.asp

Once again, everyone please pardon my late responses to your personal messages. I'm humbled by your messages, good wishes and prayers and I will try to keep up with the requests for info and tips as time permits. I know we can all succeed and our journeys will end in praise.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 04, 2017
Gud morning house......after landing in Canada with tourist visa, pls is it possible to change the tourist visa to work permit visa without not coming back to Nigeria and reapply?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 12:20pm On Aug 04, 2017
Surdycole2:
Gud morning house......after landing in Canada with tourist visa, pls is it possible to change the tourist visa to work permit visa without not coming back to Nigeria and reapply?

No Sir.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by atiteb4: 12:23pm On Aug 04, 2017
AmAm just frustrated with this lautech striKe issue. Have been in 500level since November 2015 without no carry over, just this stupid strike. I pray I start applying like you guys next year. May God continue to bless this thread and bless you all.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:36pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ehrnie:

Many thanks Salford.

How do I prove my residency in the province? I'm assuming bank letters or letters from the GP (addressed to me) will suffice...Kindly advise.

My UK license expires in about 6 years. Do I have to exchange it for a Canadian license? I want to keep both i.e. the Canadian and UK license - is this possible.

Apologies for the many questions. embarassed
No need to apologize...lol.

For new immigrants,
You would need a valid photo ID issued by a governmental organization e.g Passport, and an original
correspondence mailed to your address or a rental/lease agreement. The documents must include your full name, address and date.

You won't be able to keep your UK license....After 90 days, It's ilegal to hold a drivers license from two different jurisdiction.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 2:02pm On Aug 04, 2017
salford1:

No need to apologize...lol.

For new immigrants,
You would need a valid photo ID issued by a governmental organization e.g Passport, and an original
correspondence mailed to your address or a rental/lease agreement. The documents must include your full name, address and date.

You won't be able to keep your UK license....After 90 days, It's ilegal to hold a drivers license from two different jurisdiction.

Thanks Salford - lol @ no need to apologize. Whew angry the thought of giving up my hard earned UK license seems such a wrench but if that's the requirement, then that's what I'm going to do.

Many thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ehrnie:

Thanks Salford - lol @ no need to apologize. Whew angry the thought of giving up my hard earned UK license seems such a wrench but if that's the requirement, then that's what I'm going to do.

Many thanks.

Britain has reciprocal agreements with Canada, so
you can also change it back to a UK license or use same to drive in the UK if you visit. smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2017
ltee:

Guys I am in the same dilemma like Babachir, kindly assist here. kindly assist with booking information.

Cc Babachi also check out wakanow. I got a wonderful deal there via Turkish airlines for October
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2017
salford1:

Britain has reciprocal agreements with Canada, so
you can also change it back to a UK license or use same to drive in the UK if you visit. smiley

Now, that makes me happy wink many thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
toyogirl:
Thanks for the detailed response....I have a few questions:

For someone that has about 5yrs work experience in naija and say maybe a year break from work (for home keeping reasons) and decides to go the internship route to refresh on skills & gain 'Canadian work experience', what would be the person's fate after the internship period? This depends on the terms of the internship with that organization in the sense that some organisations have a policy to provide the internship as a form of corporate social responsibility to assist new immigrants or recent graduates with no work experience but they will not retain the intern at the end of the period. Some other organisations will retain the intern based on good performance and if they have space. You may perform well but if there is no space for you, you leave and move on so that somebody can have the chance to intern. It's like NYSC in Nigeria, some people serve and are retained by the organization. Some people serve and are offered a permanent role but turn it down and move on. Others serve and there is no offer to retain you, you carry your discharge certificate and go then another batch of corpers come in. Life goes on, you take the experience you have garnered and use it to develop your professional life and enhance your job searchWhat I mean is could such one still be placed at least close to mid level or? This is entirely based on the organisation taking you on and their internal policies for interns. Most organisations will try you out on a junior role and then upgrade you if they like your performance. The idea is to test you out and see if you merit increased responsibility. It's the same way you would act if you were an employer. You start out small, and then increase the scope to see if performance and quality of output is consistent before you increase responsibility

Secondly, I read some info on requirements for internship by most of those big coys...eg Accenture (CGPA requirements et Al)....would it be same requirements for new immigrants? Requirements is the same for everybody wether new immigrant, new school leaver, Canadian citizen etc. Everybody competes on the same level playing field, same opportunity, it's just that some organisations reserve intern slots for newcomers, some slots for women, some slot for gay people, some slots for Indigenous people but you all face the same process to get in

Your usual kind response would be highly appreciated!

Hi, please see my input above.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:09pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ehrnie:

Hi – many thanks for your detailed response. Very much appreciated. smiley

Just a few things (still) to clarify though.

Re: Q4 – how do I process my PR status? Apart from the documentation at the PoE and giving them an address in CAN to send my PR card to, what else is expected? Nothing more, once you land and your COPR is stamped with the date you entered Canada, that is when you become a PR and the entry visa in your passport is cancelled. At that point you are a landed PR wether at the airport or border point for those who will drive through US border.

With regards to my Social Insurance Number, I'm meant to take my passport + CoPR issued by IRCC (since I wouldn't have gotten my PR card in the short time frame) to the nearest service CAN office. If everything is okay, i will get my SIN that same day and will not need to part with any of my original docs. Is this correct..? Please correct me if I am wrong You are correct, you will never have to leave your original documents with anyone at any point for SIN

Many thanks and apologies for the back & forth…it’s just that I really want to make the best use of the 10 days I will be short landing for…

Hi, see above please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 4:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
lavivaavril:

Cc Babachi also check out wakanow. I got a wonderful deal there via Turkish airlines for October

How much?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ayoola03:
Hello house! Ayaff come again o my Canadian elders please come to my aid. I am on study permit and I will be travelling to canny next week, my change of name newspaper advert is coming out tomorrow. The plan is once I land my hubby will be planning to apply to join me soon. now my question is will the worn affidavit and the news paper advert page be enough for his application without changing my surname on my passport because my stamped passport still carry my surname or I will need to request for a new passport bearing my new surname in ottawa? Thanks in anticipation
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 5:00pm On Aug 04, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

How much?

Family of two - 567k. Pls tell me if it's not that wonderful so I can go and drag my money back from wakanow wink

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akaewu: 5:23pm On Aug 04, 2017
salford1:
Wtf moment of the day.
Spent 2 days preparing for the job gathering all sorts of permits, only for it to be cancelled. An angry bird has a nest on the breaker that was meant to be replaced. Environment dept was called to help in moving the bird and the nest...we were told that since it wasnt an emergency, we had to stand down, and the work had to be postponed for 2 weeks till the chicks in the nest fly off with their mum. Mobilization cost down the drain. All forms of life are precious in Canada.

wow ..!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 5:27pm On Aug 04, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, see above please.

Many thanks blackbuddy!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
Thank you!

Blackbuddy:

Hi, please see my input above.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 7:39pm On Aug 04, 2017
lavivaavril:

Family of two - 567k. Pls tell me if it's not that wonderful so I can go and drag my money back from wakanow wink

Is this for one way or return ticket?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2017
ugoiyke79e:

Is this for one way or return ticket?

One way ticket

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2017
lavivaavril:

Oh wow! Great deal.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 9:02pm On Aug 04, 2017
@Fusion23 Sent you a PM please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2017
pls ooohhh This is calling on all past, recent and future PPR holders Portharcourt and environs.....Imo,Abia,Bayelsa,Delta,Ebonyi, Anambra etcc.......

I have been reliably informed that an IOM(Pre arrival Orientation) session can be arranged for us with venue in portharcourt in November if we can make up to 15 participants.
Enugu just had a session and others upcoming are in lag and Abuja..
Pls anyone interested should indicate.
Thanks

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ayoola03:
Hello house! Ayaff come again o my Canadian elders please come to my aid. I am on study permit and I will be travelling to canny next week, my change of name newspaper advert is coming out tomorrow. The plan is once I land my hubby will be planning to apply to join me soon. now my question is will the worn affidavit and the news paper advert page be enough for his application without changing my surname on my passport because my stamped passport still carry my surname or I will need to request for a new passport bearing my new surname in ottawa? Thanks in anticipation

Gurus in the house, pleaee I need an input on this, kindly help a sister. I will be leaving in few days, if at all there is anything i need to fix before leaving your candid advice will go a long way and will be highly appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 10:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
40manlappy:
@Fusion23 Sent you a PM please

seen just replied
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 7:16am On Aug 05, 2017
MummyJaygirls:
pls ooohhh This is calling on all past, recent and future PPR holders Portharcourt and environs.....Imo,Abia,Bayelsa,Delta,Ebonyi, Anambra etcc.......

I have been reliably informed that an IOM(Pre arrival Orientation) session can be arranged for us with venue in portharcourt in November if we can make up to 15 participants.
Enugu just had a session and others upcoming are in lag and Abuja..
Pls anyone interested should indicate.
Thanks
@ mummyjaygirls, when is the Lagos session scheduled?This is great news.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 10:17am On Aug 05, 2017
mamacajah:

@ mummyjaygirls, when is the Lagos session scheduled?This is great news.

Its sometime in October. register on www.planningforcanada.ca to get a slot

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 1:52pm On Aug 05, 2017
Using Skype to call Nigeria for $9.50 monthly... 300minutes

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:36pm On Aug 05, 2017
Ekpekus:
Using Skype to call Nigeria for $9.50 monthly... 300minutes
i think skype carried you on with the old rate. If your current subscription expires and not set to auto renewal, or you cancelled your subscription and try to renew, then skype would place you on the new rate. I just checked again, and it is currently at circa $10 for 60min. When i inquired, they said the Nigerian goverment imposed a special tax on foreign calls coming into Nigeria, we sef the feel APC change...lol

https://techpoint.ng/2016/10/14/ncc-set-to-increase-international-termination-rate-by-625-percent/

https://www.otubio.com/estore/nigeria-increases-international-call-rates.aspx

http://www.diasporascope.com/nigerian-communications-commission-who-increased-international-calls-to-nigeria-by-600-by-paul-omoruyi/

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 2:54pm On Aug 05, 2017
salford1:

i think skype carried you on with the old rate. If your current subscription expires and not set to auto renewal, or you cancelled your subscription and try to renew, then skype would place you on the new rate. I just checked again, and it is currently at circa $10 for 60min. When i inquired, they said the Nigerian goverment imposed a special tax on foreign calls coming into Nigeria, we sef the feel APC change...lol

https://techpoint.ng/2016/10/14/ncc-set-to-increase-international-termination-rate-by-625-percent/

https://www.otubio.com/estore/nigeria-increases-international-call-rates.aspx

http://www.diasporascope.com/nigerian-communications-commission-who-increased-international-calls-to-nigeria-by-600-by-paul-omoruyi/

You are right boss.

I thought it is just me that noticed this.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2017
i am slated for August 8 seminar
MummyJaygirls:

Its sometime in October. register on www.planningforcanada.ca to get a slot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 5:28pm On Aug 05, 2017
lavivaavril:

Wow, that's a good idea one. where in Canada r u Landing? am looking for good deals to Ottawa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 8:50pm On Aug 05, 2017
trishachi:

Wow, that's a good idea one. where in Canada r u Landing? am looking for good deals to Ottawa.

Thanks. Im landing in Toronto. I kinda noticed flights to Ontario are cheaper than flights going anywhere else in canny. Just my observation though

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.