Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,243 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1984152 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oribi(m): 10:30pm On Aug 05, 2017
MummyJaygirls:
pls ooohhh This is calling on all past, recent and future PPR holders Portharcourt and environs.....Imo,Abia,Bayelsa,Delta,Ebonyi, Anambra etcc.......

I have been reliably informed that an IOM(Pre arrival Orientation) session can be arranged for us with venue in portharcourt in November if we can make up to 15 participants.
Enugu just had a session and others upcoming are in lag and Abuja..
Pls anyone interested should indicate.
Thanks

interested

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 12:55am On Aug 06, 2017
Good day fam,
I have almost completed my transition from the express entry thread to this one thanks to the fact that I got PPR yesterday and have sent passports to Accra VO.

I have been thinking seriously about how best to move my funds to Canada successfully considering the fluctuating exchange rates? Do banks still issue PTA to PR visa holders? What's the maximum duration of bank statement I can print out and hold as POF for POE purpose?

Cc black buddy, salford1, maternal, fusion23

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 1:07am On Aug 06, 2017
oribi:

interested

I sent u a pm ..
let us discuss d IOM session pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 1:37am On Aug 06, 2017
freeradical:
Good day fam,
I have almost completed my transition from the express entry thread to this one thanks to the fact that I got PPR yesterday and have sent passports to Accra VO.

I have been thinking seriously about how best to move my funds to Canada successfully considering the fluctuating exchange rates? Do banks still issue PTA to PR visa holders? What's the maximum duration of bank statement I can print out and hold as POF for POE purpose?

Cc black buddy, salford1, maternal, fusion23

they rarely ask, don't let me say the don't ask for proof of funds at point of entry

try with the PTA mine was said i was in the air when it was approved after putting so much pressure on them and applied 3 weeks before departure, but then things were so bad even the airport fx didnt have .

Also see if u can open dorm account or ask bankers around.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 6:10am On Aug 06, 2017
@salford1 I want to clarify something for some sake, is it possible to get an engineering degree from a Canadian university and still end up as a tradesman, how does one go about it?

I was chatting with a friend and he mentioned how tradesmen earn a lot more so he (my friend) wants the degree for the respect and status quo but wants to work as a tradesman for the money! How does he achieve this?

He's only 19, (he's joining nairaland soon tho)

Cc:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by holatunde1759(m): 6:32am On Aug 06, 2017
atiteb4:
AmAm just frustrated with this lautech striKe issue. Have been in 500level since November 2015 without no carry over, just this stupid strike. I pray I start applying like you guys next year. May God continue to bless this thread and bless you all.

Baba not only you, I'm not only pissed off but frustrated as well. I pray we resume ASAP and start my processing too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 7:23am On Aug 06, 2017
Fusion23:

they rarely ask, don't let me say the don't ask for proof of funds at point of entry

try with the PTA mine was said i was in the air when it was approved after putting so much pressure on them and applied 3 weeks before departure, but then things were so bad even the airport fx didnt have .

Also see if u can open dorm account or ask bankers around.
Thanks. I'd start applying for the PTA right away
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oribi(m): 7:28am On Aug 06, 2017
ugoiyke79e:

I sent u a pm ..
let us discuss d IOM session pls
boyleyayo@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 12:23pm On Aug 06, 2017
freeradical:
Thanks. I'd start applying for the PTA right away
Errmm why PTA when the parallel market rate (aboki's price) is same or lower than current PTA rates and that's without the stress smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 1:27pm On Aug 06, 2017
Happy Sunday house.
Pls I need ya advice on how to handle my family's landing. I am due for school at Vancouver next month and my hubby isn't leaving his work for d next 2 yrs, my questions are:
1. Do we all land next month when I resume or can I resume and they come for landing by Christmas ?? (Our medicals expiring may next year)
2. How are split landings generally handled?

Thank you for ur helpful responses
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by telias: 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2017
Adiahabasi:
Errmm why PTA when the parallel market rate (aboki's price) is same or lower than current PTA rates and that's without the stress smiley

Not lower. PTA is N360
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2017
Adiahabasi:
Babe Abeg link me wit d aboki

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
Happy sunday folks. Would like to hear from the experienced folks their experiences flying any of the African airlines (ethiopian, egypt air, royal air maroc, rwandair, etc) to canada. What are the unique upsides/ downsides of each carrier? Please share your experiences so we jjc's can make an informed choice. The rates I'm seeing on travelstart for some of them compared to the general average rates seem a bit too good to b true
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:17pm On Aug 06, 2017
Homguy:
Good day friends, I have been following this thread for a while due to my intent to migrate to Canada when possible. I and my fiancee have written the IELTS exam. We passed very decently (8 /9). However, as a pharmacist in Nigeria, is it compulsory i do a qualifications assessment before applying to the pool?

Secondly, i have a friend in Canada whose willing to stand as a relative, however, he is really a family friend. My question is would the difference in our family names be a problem? And would i be required to migrate to the same city he is in?
Thanks

Cc; Maternal
Justwise
Fusion23
MummyJaygirls.
Oohunt.

Go here to ask your questions sir-> https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/736#59210465

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:22pm On Aug 06, 2017
Torontoparrot:
pls can you tell me how you did the processing from start to finish till you have your PR, steps you past through , thanks for your time

Ask your questions here-> https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/736#59210465

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
Abeg wat else did u give dhl along with ya pum to pick up ur passport from Accra?? Any other form??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 8:16pm On Aug 06, 2017
Torontoparrot:
pls can you tell me how you did the processing from start to finish till you have your PR, steps you past through , thanks for your time
There is a thread for the Canada express entry which has all the answers u seek. Do well to read that thread and all d info about express entry on CIC's website.

You can come back and ask a more specific question but do so on the same thread and mention me. I'd b glad to come and answer to d best of my knowledge and if I can't I'm positive someone else will.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ladylco: 8:54am On Aug 07, 2017
Good Morning,

Please is there a train or bus service that travels from new york to Toronto? how can I go about this and which station and I have about 3 big luggages, Please I need advise.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:32am On Aug 07, 2017
ladylco:
Good Morning,

Please is there a train or bus service that travels from new york to Toronto? how can I go about this and which station and I have about 3 big luggages, Please I need advise.

Thank you

I would love to know too. Could be some fun trip!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 12:01pm On Aug 07, 2017
Blingyrie:
Happy Sunday house.
Pls I need ya advice on how to handle my family's landing. I am due for school at Vancouver next month and my hubby isn't leaving his work for d next 2 yrs, my questions are:
1. Do we all land next month when I resume or can I resume and they come for landing by Christmas ?? (Our medicals expiring may next year)
2. How are split landings generally handled?

Thank you for ur helpful responses

Hi - see official CIC info below

ORDER OF LANDING FOR FAMILIES/DELAYED ARRIVAL: There are two options for family landings. Whichever option you choose, it is important to remember that the principal applicant must always be the first landed.
Option A: The entire family (including the principal applicant) lands together. If you choose this option, all family members must land at the same time and at the same port of entry.
Option B: The principal applicant lands first alone. The dependants may then follow the principal applicant at a later date provided their COPR’s remain valid.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KW01: 2:26pm On Aug 07, 2017
hi @blingyrie..... when did you receive AOR? I did medicals in May as well and received AOR in June. I am currently waiting for PPR. I am surprised you are leaving next month!.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 2:50pm On Aug 07, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

I would love to know too. Could be some fun trip!

Fun trip? Don't you watch horror movies? Just kidding: check busbud.com if they have buses going that route
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2017
You surely do have a good heart and I like your spirit bro...keep it up!!!

Blackbuddy:

Hi, I moved to the GTA in June 2015 and settled in Mississauga. I came with my whole family and my wife and I (bankers) started the job hunt also attending the excellent newcomers training with Acess Employment. After 3 months, my wife got several job offers in her field and accepted an offer from a multinational conglomerate which was bought over by America's largest bank and she's doing very well there, even training other new employees now. I got my own break after 6 months as I was focused on finding a job equal or higher than my last position in Nigeria. I got several job offers as well from top banks and finally decided to accept an offer from a top 5 bank in a senior position. A lot of people here who follow Canadavisa forum know my story and I'm a good example of favour and determination.

Don't let anyone tell you that settling in Ontario, Toronto or any big city for that matter was a mistake. There are Nigerians who came before us doing very well and many more will come behind and do just as well. Remember, the battle is fought, won or lost in the mind first of all and then the physical manifestation follows. Sure there may be those who are satisfied with playing in smaller ponds but there are also others who take the plunge and swim in big waters. Abraham left a small, humble beginning for great adversity to claim a big destiny, not the other way round. Same for when Joshua led the chosen into the midst of giants and they prevailed. It's never about the size of the dog going to fight but the size of the fight in the dog. If you decide to go to a smaller city and start over, it's good and fine as it's your journey in life. If you decide to stake your claim here and get your prize as God is doing it for those of us here, that's also fine. You can send me a private message to share some further support and maybe connect you with other successful Nigerians/Canadians on ground here so you learn and gain from them. It wont cost me anything to lift you up, it only glorifies God.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zenanted(m): 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2017
I have been following this thread for a while now but I'm yet to read about anyone who lives in Canada or landed with a Temporary work permit... Does that mean that it doesn't work for Nigerians or what? Pls someone should clarify me because i once met somebody who wants to travel with the W-1 visa to Canada.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:46pm On Aug 07, 2017
Quick question to folks who have been in Canada long enough, how does one renew an expired license?

So my Manitoba drivers license expired 2 years ago, after I left Canada, and now I am applying through the EE route. Say I get back to Manitoba, or any other province like Alberta or Ontario, how do I renew it? Would I be asked to take another driving test? Whats the process or renewing an expired Canadian license? And does the fact that it's been 2 years count? Just thinking ahead....Thanks guys.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 1:12am On Aug 08, 2017
Ehrnie:

Thanks Salford - lol @ no need to apologize. Whew angry the thought of giving up my hard earned UK license seems such a wrench but if that's the requirement, then that's what I'm going to do.

Many thanks.

I know the feeling... we worked hard for that bad boy right there!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 2:24am On Aug 08, 2017
CanadianNurse:
@salford1 I want to clarify something for some sake, is it possible to get an engineering degree from a Canadian university and still end up as a tradesman, how does one go about it?

I was chatting with a friend and he mentioned how tradesmen earn a lot more so he (my friend) wants the degree for the respect and status quo but wants to work as a tradesman for the money! How does he achieve this?

He's only 19, (he's joining nairaland soon tho)

Cc:
It is possible but not common. One of the smartest guys I have met in the electrical industry has 3 designations: journeyman, certified engr. technologist and PEng....that is atleast 10 years of schooling. It's all a matter of choice.

The downside is that an Engineering degree does not qualify one to work as a tradesperson. The trades just like Engineering are regulated professions with very strong unions; hence, one would be required to spend another 4 semesters of schooling split into one semester per year (for Electrical) i.e 8 months on the job training and 4 months of classes per year. Total = 4 years. Another option is to challenge the journeyman red seal exams, but he would need to show proof that he has worked as a trades person in the past before he can be allowed to sit for the challenge exams.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 2:36am On Aug 08, 2017
Canadianfly:
Quick question to folks who have been in Canada long enough, how does one renew an expired license?

So my Manitoba drivers license expired 2 years ago, after I left Canada, and now I am applying through the EE route. Say I get back to Manitoba, or any other province like Alberta or Ontario, how do I renew it? Would I be asked to take another driving test? Whats the process or renewing an expired Canadian license? And does the fact that it's been 2 years count? Just thinking ahead....Thanks guys.
If the expiry is less than 3 years, you would only be recommended for an eye test and proof of residency. If it has expired for over 3 years, then you would need to do the written and road test again.
To renew an expired license of less than 3 years, just walk into a registry or government office responsible for issuing driver's license. You would be required to proof your residency, pay fees, pass a vision test, have your pic taken, then expect it in the mail.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 4:30am On Aug 08, 2017
Strathmore stampede wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 4:31am On Aug 08, 2017
Rodeo...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.