Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (484) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988666 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

To be honest we have all learnt a thing or two , well I have so I think your suggestion here is also in good faith. Thank you for the advise and I will sure to remember that.

grin grin grin
The end !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I walk away as well, please re-read my post. I just modified it for you grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifeoma77(f): 5:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

Ifeoma grin grin I can picture you with your mouth still wide open. Yes I ran away from her, I ran and never looked back. The rage, the temper displayed and like I stated the audacity was very distubing for me, if we decide she will handle something I should respect and accepet the manner she handles it even if I feel I could have done it better.

This ensures there are no conflicts and unnecessary arguments.

And can I point out that this was just a relationship, if we were married I'd have no choice than to swallow it ofcourse but am grateful it was not too late to run so I did an Usain Bolt grin grin grin

No jokes, I started feeling feverish after reading your post.
I will put you in my prayers

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
Our family friends’ home was attacked in Nigeria and the robbers shot and wife jumped in front of husband and took a bullet in her head and died.
Bsbabe:

I also did not want to respond anymore as respectfully, it appears we have deep divergences on this topic but with this your last example, I can only say a big wow! I don't even know where to pick it up from so I will just leave it at the fact that I am wowed at your decision and the reason for it, especially the bolded.

With respect to the armed robber example you gave, I will also give you a real life example. I have an ex-colleague who's house was attacked in Lekki. Her husband scaled the fence and left his wife (with only a sheet around her), a pre-teen daughter and a baby boy with the armed robbers so go figure.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 21, 2018
Ifeoma77:

No jokes, I started feeling feverish after reading your post.
I will put you in my prayers
That'd be very much appreciated. Atleast I won a prayer slot today, what has my other arguementators won ? Nada tongue tongue tongue

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2018
Sigh. Honestly women are raised to die on the line (apparently also literally). I thank God that’s changing.

vcole:
Our family friends’ home was attacked in Nigeria and the robbers shot and wife jumped in front of husband and took a bullet in her head and died.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:33pm On Dec 21, 2018
make I go check sef maybe I am bsbabe2. Lol
Bsbabe:

@vcole, are you sure you guys are not us? My least loved room in the house - the kitchen. Where will you find my husband when he is off the sofa? The kitchen. Meanwhile, he doesn't know how to hold a drill. In fact, I have a date this weekend to set up the treadmill while he says 'well done' grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ndukaezennia1: 5:33pm On Dec 21, 2018
See my sister all these argument is just for talks. Bros did not like that babe finish. She did not fit into his ideal woman. All these ones were are stating here is gist. Most Naija men can relate with his dumping line. Once we want to ex a babe we feel we dont want to move forward with. We brand her disobedient and stubborn because there is nothing tangible we can hold her to. I can bet you that when @guitarlife meets a feminist that suits his ideal woman. We wont hear all these story. Loool!

Bsbabe:

"The rage"..."the temper"..."being irate"... "almost getting into a fight"... all these are from your perspective and is your side of the story though. And from the little we know of your expectations of women, even raising her voice a pitch higher may just be her showing enough disrespect to prove she can never be a 'submissive' wife.

And then I would ask, did you educate her that what she did was dangerous and why you had felt there was no need to get into a fight with the driver? If your sister had done it, would you have disowned her? No, you would have enlightened her because she is your sister and you love her and won't want her to do it again. Where was the love for your girlfriend here when your only reaction was to dump her because she simply didn't "fit the mould". That's the love Christ said husbands should have for their wives. In my opinion, you were looking for perfect submission where perfect love did not exist.

I really do wish you the best in finding what you seek but I believe you should take some time to think about what the married people here have told you and that is you will never find that perfectly submissive human being you seek as no human being (male or female) is wired to be an 'addendum' or a 'footnote'. You will have to sacrifice some of your firmly held beliefs for you to make that partnership work if you don't want it to end up being a failed project (and yes, I use the word partnership). My two cents.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2018
There was a circulated photo of a vulture waiting for a starving Sudanese girl to die and feast on her, during the 1993 famine in Sudan, taken by Kevin Carter, a South African photojournalist who later won the Pulitzer Prize for this 'amazing' shot(edited and left out here because of its inhumane posture).

Kevin however lived just a few months to enjoy his supposed achievement because he later got depressed and took his own life!

He was actually savouring his feat and being celebrated on major news channels and networks worldwide for such an 'exceptional' photographic skill.

His depression started when during one of such interviews (a phone-in programme), someone phoned in and asked him what happened to the child. He replied, "I didn't wait to find out after this shot as I had a flight to catch..." And the person replied, "I put it to you that there were two vultures on that day; one had a camera".

His constant thought of that statement led to depression and his ultimate suicide.

In whatever we do, let humanity come first, before what we can gain out of the situation.

Kevin Carter could have been alive today and even more celebrated if he had just picked that little girl up and taken her to the United Nations Feeding Center where she was attempting to reach.

In all we do, let's always think of others and how we can be of benefit to humanity.

And when we seek elective office, let's think of how we can use it to benefit the people foremost

A New Nigeria is possible

#Copied

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:42pm On Dec 21, 2018
Ndukaezennia1:
See my sister all these argument is just for talks. Bros did not like that babe finish. She did not fit into his ideal woman. All these ones were are stating here is gist. Most Naija men can relate with his dumping line. Once we want to ex a babe we feel we dont want to move forward with. We brand her disobedient and stubborn because there is nothing tangible we can hold her to. I can bet you that when @guitarlife meets a feminist that suits his ideal woman. We wont hear all these story. Loool!

Gbam....

Imagine someone breaking his girl's heart just because he got a Canadian Visa.
I knew there was more to this
To me the post below doesn't make any sense at all.
But then again to each his own

Guitarlife:

This was the reason I broke my relationship, the prospect of waiting one year or more to sponsor a bride in a new marriage with both spouses thousands of kilometers apart appeared too depressing . I hope I can get a decent spouse in CAnny sha .....

These are the sort of sacrifices we have to make for a good life and secured future.... cry cry cry

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
TheCongo2:

Gbam....

Imagine someone breaking his girl's heart just because he gets a Canadian Visa.
I knew there was more to this ...

Bros you want start another 3rd world war here, na you go fight am o grin grin grin grin
I nor dey for this one wey you dey find upandan o lol.

Okay so dont believe everything you read online jare, some of these things are properly garnished to generate the maximum effect at the time and might not represent the true position of things. tongue tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:51pm On Dec 21, 2018
“What kind of woman will display such rage” “Na Margaret thatcher” etc etc. Comments like that and the reasoning behind them are the matter of discussion and not necessarily guitarlife and his relationships. He reserves the right to not be with someone who has a temperament that he believes is not compatible with his.
The holes in using that as a basis of argument for all females is the issue being discussed. She should not exhibit such because she is a woman, let us even neglect the fact that she actually successfully closed a deal and got money back oh. If she was a male friend, would their friendship end or will friend get a pat on the back and a high five?
Is temper reserved for men alone? If it was the man in the relationship who insisted on getting the extra 2 bucks back and haggled with the driver, would it even be an issue? Won’t most people see it as acceptable for him to display his “rage?”

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 5:52pm On Dec 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

I am a bit confused by your stand in the bolded ?
1. Are you saying its okay to divorce ?
2. Are you a christian or muslim, its the holy book that says women should submit if you want to have a happy and long lasting marriage not me (Turns out the book is right as nations that have this order reversed have the highest divorce rates).
3. Each person has a choice to make, for me I have decided it is in my best interest to avoid women who want to stand up to their men. Are you saying there are no women even in the western countries who do not consider submission slavery ? Are you saying all the women abroad stand up to their men and form equality?
4. Lastly, are you inferring that the only set of women that submit are those that are financially handicapped ?
5 . I had to address the last bolded, Marriage for you may appear like an hobby or a to-do list but for some men, men like me its a lifetime commitment to support and remain faithful to one partner. Now you'd agree it will be tragic to get married to a lady who thinks she has the right to pop out of marriage at the slightest hint of unhappiness like you have posited she has a right to, ofcourse she does but I do not pray to meet such a woman in this life .
I pray for a woman who understands the sanctity of marriage and is ready to weather the storm even in those times when things will not be rosy, this is life and not a film or hollywood fantasy movie, challenges will come and such a woman with the mindset you described above will run.

I can't explain how I feel reading your mindset towards marriage. Men like you scare me and one of my motivations to immigrate is to drastically reduce the chances of me and my unborn daughters coming across a man with your mindset. Sadly, your kind abounds in Nigeria.

You see, I understand you perfectly. My husband reasons just like you and he's always quick to bring religion and submission into the picture. I am a quiet and agreeable person and in hindsight, it's part of the reason he thought I would make a good wife. When I began pushing back by saying 'NO! This and that is inhumane and not acceptable', he labels me a nag, says I am unforgiving and always threatens divorce, all in a bid to shut me up. That threat really got me into 'submission'.

Maternal is right about the divorce rate in Nigeria being lower due to financial constraint. I tell you if Nigerian women had the needed support, many would have walked out. If I wasn't lucky to have a family that can financially, morally and emotionally support me, 'submission' would have been my lot.

Someday soon I plan to walk away. I do wish to get married again but the thought of being with a Nigerian man frightens me. I'm so drained I don't think I can go that route again.

**I'm sorry to share this much but I really wish men like you would understand better.**

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 5:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
slimlanre:

I have been a silent observer on this thread for a while. I must commend the selfless efforts seen here.

@Salford, the bolded has been my prayer since the 1st time i had to go to the emergency two years ago when my wife was pregnant. After being triaged, we waited for close to 5 hours to see a doctor. I couldn't believe i was in the "emergency unit". We eventually lost the baby. It opened my eyes to the Healthcare system in Canada, precisely Calgary. It is a major challenge, the wait times, but since it is "free", most Canadians just live with it.

Wow. After reading this, I'm grateful to God again for all He does. I did have some bleeding while pregnant and I went to the emergency unit of the Foothills hospital in Calgary. I didn't have to wait even for 5 minutes before I was taken to the observation room.
Guess we all have different experiences. I pray that we all remain in constant good health in Jesus name. Amen.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Pegzzyg(f): 5:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
Waoh! Seriously?
You should be glad you "Had" a Lady firm to her words.... Short story, I was in the car with Hubby then "BF" someday hanging out when this driver scratched His car, very little scratch ni sha o & then he came down to rant, we came down together too & immediately I was shouting, ranting & doing all sorts before I realized Hubby wasn't communicating so, I kept quiet. The Guy couldn't talk much self knowing He was wrong & entered His car back to zoom off, immediately we entered the car, Hubby gave me what you call warning of my life NEVER to EVER interfere in any dealings in public when He is present that I should @least give him that respect! Trust me, my head did "reset" & I never tried such ever again not even the day that an hungry P-man stopped us, checked our boot as we hanged out after work so it was late before asking for money stylishly from Hubby, I was mute (even when I was burning within to give him a mouth-full). What am I saying? You might be loosing a diamond unknowingly... What I did that day as "Nwa Afo" Igbo is what is called initial gra gra, I shouldn't have done anything but I did knowing Bf is around should quarrel escalate... I am never a violent person. Mind you, He was Bf then, we were not even engaged. Today we're Married with a Lovely Child! You really need to change your orientation. Trust me, some people change & you can never know people enough in the long run...... I really hope you end-up not marrying a pretender. All the best in your endeavours Guitarlife
Guitarlife:

While I respect your opinion , yet again I am stating that the bolded already addresses that area of your concern.

Have you thought that the man can ask the woman to take the key and drive ? But one person has to lead, even a pack of wolves is not led by 2 it never works.
This clearly shows my position , I wonder why people intentionally choose to twist my position.
The man is the head of the home but from this statement you'd see that the wife is welcome to take initiatives too. This concept is learned over a lifetime for many and at times never learned for some so I won't expect that it'd be so easy for you to comprehend if you haven't already.

I have decided not to comment on this again but you have forced me now, let me explain something. Now A man his wife and 2 kids, an armed robber comes into the house and their is gun that the family can use to defend themselves and a place to hide for 2 people .

Which 3 people do you think will hide ? The wife and the 2 kids
Which person do you think will carry the gun and face the robber ? The man, he will put his life down for his family.

Now we have a situation where some one must carry the pregnancy while someone must wait and pray eagerly for safe delivery , who does what here ? The wife carries the pregnancy (An heroic thing and grossly underrated feat in this part of the world)

Now from my analogies you will see that the man and the woman are not equal but rather unique in their differences. The inability of western countries to acknowledge this uniqueness and accomodate it is responsible for the dysfunctionality of marriages over there.
For all their education and exposure marriages hard last 2 years and this should tell you there is something wrong somewhere, I am not saying the African approach is entirely perfect but the foundation has to be well laid to prevent problems.

Lastly, I will tell you something that should drive this home, this happened with my former babe and this was one of the major pointers for me that made me run. We were both travelling - a public transport, so what happened the car broke down in the middle of the road and the driver needed to give us part of the money we paid so we can board another vehicle to our final destination.

So lets just say we paid 10 naira and the journey had only gone 50% so technically the man was supposed to give us 5 naira right ? Well I told my bae to wait for me in the car, I went to meet the driver and after some back and forth the driver gave me 3 naira, I protested but I didnt get ahead so I came back to her and told her I got 3 naira and altho it was not fair we could just overlook the 2 naira.

My bae became irate went to meet the driver and got into a fit or rage long story short she succesfully retrieved 2 naira and came back to me grinning from ear to ear with a sense of accomplishment visibly written on her face. That moment I knew I had made a mistake being with her.
Why ? (Please note I paid for the journey 100%).

1. The rage and anger displayed was something I had never seen in her, I could never have imagined she was capable of such.
2. The audacity to go and re-negotiate with the driver was not only insensitive to me but showed a lack of respect for my judgement.
3. The reason I choose to allow the driver get away with the 2 naira was because I felt this illiterate drivers sometimes could be violent and dangerous and there was not point risking my life over 2 naira - now her decision to proceed to wrestle for the rest of the money to me showed a lack of proper orientation in value system.

So I had to type this much to put some things in perspective for you, like I said earlier relationship issues are quite tricky and this event I narrated was only the last straw the broke the camels back as I had seen some traces of this kind of behaviour at some time earlier.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 21, 2018
Zutlin:

I can't explain how I feel reading your mindset towards marriage. Men like you scare me and one of my motivations to immigrate is to drastically reduce the chances of me and my unborn daughters coming across a man with your mindset. Sadly, your kind abounds in Nigeria.

You see, I understand you perfectly. My husband reasons just like you and he's always quick to bring religion and submission into the picture. I am a quiet and agreeable person and in hindsight, it's part of the reason he thought I would make a good wife. When I began pushing back by saying 'NO! This and that is inhumane and not acceptable', he labels me a nag, says I am unforgiving and always threatens divorce, all in a bid to shut me up. That threat really got me into 'submission'.

Maternal is right about the divorce rate in Nigeria being lower due to financial constraint. I tell you if Nigerian women had the needed support, many would have walked out. If I wasn't lucky to have a family that can financially, morally and emotionally support me, 'submission' would have been my lot.

Someday soon I plan to walk away. I do wish to get married again but the thought of being with a Nigerian man frightens me. I'm so drained I don't think I can go that route again.

**I'm sorry to share this much but I really wish men like you would understand better.**

Thanks for sharing. I pray you both receive grace to see where each other hurts. To be honest, people who hurt you in marriage are not necessarily "bad" people, they are just people coming with a different mindset and it is definitely possible for that mindset to change. I pray that happens for you but beyond that, I pray you receive peace and happiness irrespective of the decision you ultimately make.

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ambidextrause: 6:01pm On Dec 21, 2018
This your response is a banger! Can we get someone to just play you guitar for life? Beautiful!

Guitarlife:

I am a bit confused by your stand in the bolded ?
1. Are you saying its okay to divorce ?
2. Are you a christian or muslim, its the holy book that says women should submit if you want to have a happy and long lasting marriage not me (Turns out the book is right as nations that have this order reversed have the highest divorce rates).
3. Each person has a choice to make, for me I have decided it is in my best interest to avoid women who want to stand up to their men. Are you saying there are no women even in the western countries who do not consider submission slavery ? Are you saying all the women abroad stand up to their men and form equality?
4. Lastly, are you inferring that the only set of women that submit are those that are financially handicapped ?
5 . I had to address the last bolded, Marriage for you may appear like an hobby or a to-do list but for some men, men like me its a lifetime commitment to support and remain faithful to one partner. Now you'd agree it will be tragic to get married to a lady who thinks she has the right to pop out of marriage at the slightest hint of unhappiness like you have posited she has a right to, ofcourse she does but I do not pray to meet such a woman in this life .
I pray for a woman who understands the sanctity of marriage and is ready to weather the storm even in those times when things will not be rosy, this is life and not a film or hollywood fantasy movie, challenges will come and such a woman with the mindset you described above will run.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 21, 2018
Pele love. PM me if you have any psychological needs. Don’t forget, everything is temporary.

Zutlin:

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabestonic001(m): 6:07pm On Dec 21, 2018
gorgebaby:
Ha! Thank you God for my spouse, whose utmost desire is my happiness/well being and with that in mind, does all that he does smiley Canada will thus not bring anything he isn't familiar with.

Oh! Thank God for myself too, for also doing all that I do, ensuring that my spouse is happy and we have a happy family overall. That is what matters eventually, family/communal happiness and well-being, who cares how we achieve it?!

I apologise if I sound immodest, but all the arguments from last night opened my eyes to more reasons why I should thank God, even as IRCC dey hold my PPR for over a year smiley

I'm telling you.
Many Nigerians (men and women alike) will regret getting a PR later in life. The men, because they know next to nothing about love and the women, because the know next to nothing about marriage.

They'd be better off staying back in Naija or better still reformatting their mindsets towards marital harmony. A rebellious woman will be happy that Canadian system favors women and she will be glad to exploit that. A foolish man will be hell bent on his African mentality of marriage and get his life shattered in Canada.

I hope arguments of head and shoulder is dispelled for love, serving each other, honesty and purity.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 6:19pm On Dec 21, 2018
SkyWalk12:
Girl, you feel me. When I went to Jand for school, the first year I had zero Nigerian friends, best year hands down. They (the Asians that some people that have never crossed the border seem to have a problem with here) were always feeding me. My accent changed and my hair grew longer.

You are hilarious! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 21, 2018
cheesy grin

[quote author=Zutlin post=74055947][/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 6:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
Bsbabe:

Thanks for sharing. I pray you both receive grace to see where each other hurts. To be honest, people who hurt you in marriage are not necessarily "bad" people, they are just people coming with a different mindset and it is definitely possible for that mindset to change. I pray that happens for you but beyond that, I pray you receive peace and happiness irrespective of the decision you ultimately make.

You are very right. My husband is not a bad person but his mindset about marriage makes him a very very poor partner. I can only hope my impending exit awakens him and makes him treat his future partner way better.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:47pm On Dec 21, 2018
Zutlin:

You are very right. My husband is not a bad person but his mindset about marriage makes him a very very poor partner. I can only hope my impending exit awakens him and makes him treat his future partner way better.

May I please ask you how long have you been married?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 6:49pm On Dec 21, 2018
TheCongo2:

May I please ask you how long have you been married?

5 years.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
Pegzzyg:
Waoh! Seriously?
You should be glad you "Had" a Lady firm to her words.... Short story, I was in the car with Hubby then "BF" someday hanging out when this driver scratched His car, very little scratch ni sha o & then he came down to rant, we came down together too & immediately I was shouting, ranting & doing all sorts before I realized Hubby wasn't communicating so, I kept quiet. The Guy couldn't talk much self knowing He was wrong & entered His car back to zoom off, immediately we entered the car, Hubby gave me what you call warning of my life NEVER to EVER interfere in any dealings in public when He is present that I should @least give him that respect! Trust me, my head did "reset" & I never tried such ever again not even the day that an hungry P-man stopped us, checked our boot as we hanged out after work so it was late before asking for money stylishly from Hubby, I was mute (even when I was burning within to give him a mouth-full). What am I saying? You might be loosing a diamond unknowingly... What I did that day as "Nwa Afo" Igbo is what is called initial gra gra, I shouldn't have done anything but I did knowing Bf is around should quarrel escalate... I am never a violent person. Mind you, He was Bf then, we were not even engaged. Today we're Married with a Lovely Child! You really need to change your orientation. Trust me, some people change & you can never know people enough in the long run...... I really hope you end-up not marrying a pretender. All the best in your endeavours Guitarlife
Thank you for sharing this , I appreciate the time and effort.
I like the fact you agreed it was wrong to have overriden your spouse in that occasion, it takes a lot to do that especially on this thread when a lot of people are just lieing through there teeth in a bid to make a point, I salute that.

I also appreciate your advise, I am not a sexist or chauvinist I know it when a woman is incorrigible, atleast you admitted your oversight and it never happened again which to me is the dream of every man, but my former partner would never admit that it was wrong to have done that, just like some women on here are trying to justify.

I wish you goodluck in your marriage too. smiley smiley

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 7:23pm On Dec 21, 2018
vcole:

ceemac I read your first line and just didn’t have eye power to commit towards reading more. Just a little education cooking is for cooks. It is not a gender ascribed role and majority of the best cooks in the world are male, so go figure.
In the end, whether a head is hiding under the cloak of a religious or cultural practice that confers unmerited power upon said head or not, the advocates of a headship and 1 captainship or 1 drivership are all doing so for their own self interest to remain in the seat of power because it simply feels good and comes with perks. Whether you admit it or not, that is the truth.
Abeg my keyboard self don tire. You can reply oh or even throw insults sef but I won’t even care. #arguewithyourpastororimamorguruorwhoever

I can tell you have been immersed in the Canadian culture which is good, I respect women for what they are in its entirety, I didn't streamline the cooking as a duty of a woman, but she shouldn't in all sincerity now be using her mind to be sharing work, that in itself is actually my point. She mentioned it like it is only the woman that cooks which is erroneous. Me, I sha cannot marry a woman that will use mind and be doing cooking roaster for me, hunger go to beat am oo.. I can cook by myself and it is expedient she also tries to cater for herself and THE HOUSE altruistically.. She cannot say I will bear most of the financial responsibilities which I am willing to bear as a man and will now be using mind to share domestic chores.. She go wait so tey she go loose weight ooo..

My dad is a better cook than my mum, why he will always do it when my mom is not around or anytime he feels like when my mum is around, we will always pray mom should travel so we can enjoy the culinary expertise of my dad, but in all, my mum will never take that for granted. No wonder marriages before our generations lasted way better than what we are seeing now...

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
Is Canada where the best wives andị husbands are? If you are tolerating someone, they are doing so too. Marriage and staying married aren't gonna be for everyone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ceemac: 7:36pm On Dec 21, 2018
salford:
The arguments above further proves that the CBC was right after-all about the most common reason for divorce among immigrants. No matter how we twist it, some immigrant husbands especially from Africa, Asia and the Middle East would never accept a split of traditional responsibilities till strains start appearing in some marriages. The culture from back home is really strong.

Mum has now realised that dad can't just be sat in the living room with remote control on one hand and legs on the table while she does all the work at home.

I believe everyone has one or two things to learn from the arguments. Couples should endeavour to support themselves in Canada even if it requires splitting tasks into 50/50. Lets forget about pride, tradition or culture. it's all about working together to achieve success and a happy home.

Uncle Salford,

It will be 50/50 when both parties involved work the same job that will bring same income oo.. No one is gonna be one cent more than the other

Both parties will have the pregnancy for 4.5months and transfer it to the other for the rest 4.5months and on the delivery, the two parties will share the baby and deliver it the same time

Maternity leave and paternity leave will be shared equally also to cater equally for the newborn

The both parties will have to start work at the same time, close the same time and go and pick the kids in school at the same time

Until then 50 o ge 50 ooo..

While the above is never possible, the most important ingredient in marriage I should think is most importantly understanding, maturity and sacrifice.

O ju ti ri ooo..

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 21, 2018
Zutlin:

I am sorry that you seem to be having troubles in your marriage, I want you to know that Marriage is the perfect example for the term "no size fits all" , I believe the only opportunity I have to weed out incompatibility is during courtship once I get married, I am part of the school of thought that believes in the eternal sanctity of marriage so you'd expect me to bend over backwards in that case to make my marriage work.

What most people here dont seem to understand is that as long as I have my reservations and I am not married yet it is okay for me to back out and regardless of what they feel or how they think there are some women who believes in conceding the headship of the family to their husbands without feeling cheated.

This is the kind of person I believe I can work with and who is suitable and compatible with me, if conceding home leadership to the man doesn't seat with others then they should accept it's my prerogative and to each his own.

That is the kind of woman I want and in your own case it seems you are having a change of personality, I will not hit you for that but if it happens that in marriage the lady I marry decides to change then I take it as my cross and will probably adapt too as I really would not want my marriage to crash (God forbid).

See ? atlast every one is happy, but the thought of crashing a marriage is disturbing and sad, please find a way to make that marriage work. I will not tell you whether to submit or not thats your own choice to make but know that the world has enough broken homes already so do your best to keep your home together if you can/must.

I wish you all the best.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 7:58pm On Dec 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

This is the kind of person I believe I can work with and who is suitable and compatible with me, if conceding home leadership to the man doesn't seat with others then they should accept it's my prerogative and to each his own.
I'll like you to explain this "home leadership/submission" ish to me.

Is it that your word is final no matter the consequence?
Is that your future wife is not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours?

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 8:06pm On Dec 21, 2018
Bsbabe:

I also did not want to respond anymore as respectfully, it appears we have deep divergences on this topic but with this your last example, I can only say a big wow! I don't even know where to pick it up from so I will just leave it at the fact that I am wowed at your decision and the reason for it, especially the bolded.

With respect to the armed robber example you gave, I will also give you a real life example. I have an ex-colleague who's house was attacked in Lekki. Her husband scaled the fence and left his wife (with only a sheet around her), a pre-teen daughter and a baby boy with the armed robbers so go figure.

You're even going too far by using your friend as example. You that you're the one handling drill in your house, you're even likely to be the better shot grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
AZeD1:

I'll like you to explain this "home leadership/submission" ish to me.

Is it that your word is final no matter the consequence?
Is that your future wife is not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours?
Brotherly , we are in the cast and crew section of the ending of this movie o grin grin
See ehn! by asking this sort of question even without me ever mentioning something like that shows your mind is already pre-configured to interprete whatever I say in a particular direction.

And seeing that the storm is over (According to R. Kelly cheesy cheesy) now ill not be a good time to turn back the hands of time (another R. Kelly grin grin).

So I'd say lets :
Drink today and drown all Sorrow,
You shall perhaps not do it to morrow.
Best while you have it use your Breath,
There is no drinking after Death.

grin grin grin one love (According to Bob the son of Marley)

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.