Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981459 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2017
yimiton:

I thought the 3 months health insurance was compulsory?

No, health insurance cover is not compulsory. It is advisable though if a family member(s) has a health condition that can be pricey to manage.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 4:39pm On Sep 18, 2017
grin grin grin Bros all power belongs to God o
Snappyfingaz:

Bros give us light before you move to Canada na. Abeg!!! Lmao. Na joke I dey oh. I greet you sir.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by FSOFF: 7:37pm On Sep 18, 2017
hello house, been reading the thread and it's been very informative I must admit. Any dentist in the house let's hook up

Best Regards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 8:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
trishachi:

@Blackbuddy - I sent you a PM request boss, kindly check. Tnx

Hi, I've responded.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 8:07pm On Sep 18, 2017
Lmaoooo Ballerz- pls keep it coming... you have a very humorous way of describing thing. Sry bout ur Fish.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2017
@Ballerz, what a trip. Glad you landed safely after all the hassles. For lesson point one, what brand of digital luggage scale did you eventually use? I have one I bought from PRAG just to be sure its dependable.

Hope you rested well? Thanks in anticipation of your response.
Ballerz:
Long Post AlertLesson point
1.Get an accurate scale and do not exceed your 23kg
Don't be late to the airport. Try get there at least 2 hours before the official check in time. This will give you enough time to catch your breathe after moving plenty bags

2. Do not fly BA if you know you have load because airport purchase was charged 210 dollars even though website said 200

3.Don't buy your ticket from Agents especially travelstart, if you can help it (Though they get you cheap fares and options) because when complications like this arises, carrier, will say get in touch with Agent

4. If you know you will have extra luggage, just buy online, that 20% discount makes alot of sense. 600 Dollars became 490 Dollars.

5. In every situation, always see the good side. Myself and someone I met on this forum are already planning on the implementation of our business line. Watch out.

6. There is a 15k discount code on travelstart TSLIL15000. You can use it if your are yet to book your ticket. Thank me later.
Cheers Folks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 8:49pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hahahaha @ 60K fish. Pele oh Ballerz. These airport staff and their over zealousness. At least you got in safely. That's what counts. You and impish should do a writing collabo for real cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 8:55pm On Sep 18, 2017
impish:
Hi Iamsheye,

Lol! I have since posted twice oh! This weekend was a bit packed. Tried taking our son out to enjoy the sun (while we still have it) and then we were trying to study for the Knowledge test and put together his home school curriculum at the same time.

We have started homeschooling today. We took a 15 minute recess, so I am spending my own recess on Nairaland. Lol.

Hope you find the recent posts interesting and informative.

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

Read the new post. Very informative. I was just telling my husband about the homeschooling route today and he said our kids would not take me serious cheesy. How do you put on a game face for your child?
Oh and I saw a comment on your post about abc mouse. Checked it out, looks very very good. Your thoughts?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iamsheye(m): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2017
impish:
Hi Iamsheye,
Mrs. O www.mycanadianfling.com
Thank,Just read the posts it interesting
Looking forward to more posts
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by zaragirl: 9:59pm On Sep 18, 2017
Good day all,

Does anyone know of a reputable shipper that can offer shipping services via sea, I want to ship some of my items to Canada.

Any recommendations please.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:25pm On Sep 18, 2017
zaragirl:
Good day all,

Does anyone know of a reputable shipper that can offer shipping services via sea, I want to ship some of my items to Canada.

Any recommendations please.

Thank you.
Hi, if you're in Lagos you can go to NAHCO by the airport where they are based and sample their rates. A friend used Air France Cargo services and informed me they were good with a fair price back in 2015. You could consider them when making your enquiries at NAHCO, cheers.

3 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fabdee: 10:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
Sorry I'm just seeing this. I've not been here in a while. Busy packing up my boxes grin grin. Passport got to Accra on 28th, got pick up mail on the 31st.

soja84:
Hi...Congrats.Please how long did it take for you to get the 'Pick Up mail' after submission of your passport?My application has been approved,I have also been assigned document number but am yet to get the 'Pick Up mail'.

quote author=fabdee post=60355491]Signed...Sealed...Delivered! I officially welcome myself to this thread grin. Come october, I'm off to Edmonton! Let somebody shout hallelujah!!! grin grin wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by perks: 11:01pm On Sep 18, 2017
Ballerz:
Update

Landed in Pearson. Passing through was the fastest in the world.... e good to get PR o. It is all self service. Scan your card, scan the landing card you filled, it issues you receipt. waiting to collect bags, noticed another guy (Niyi), saw that his bag was in pristine state. So i said how come you were not checked again at Cairo, cos i saw other people's eja kika fish that was binned. he said he spread it in various bags. I had 6 bags he had 7, so it is not by number of bags.
My bags came o, noticed one tyre don commot, went to complain, they said attachments are not insured such as tyres, zips. That if i needed that covered I would have purchased insurance separately for that.

Cheers

@ballerz...pele for ur fish oooo. But I want to clarify, are u saying d landing formalities for new PR is automated in Pearson
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 11:43pm On Sep 18, 2017
Just 3 days after delivery? shocked

fabdee:
Sorry I'm just seeing this. I've not been here in a while. Busy packing up my boxes grin grin. Passport got to Accra on 28th, got pick up mail on the 31st.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 11:56pm On Sep 18, 2017
AlexanderGreat:

LMFAO!!! the bolded cracked me up

Loool its not a joking matter, lots of people going back to naija to look for wife of their taste.

very funny culture ..if you not careful u go turn senior bachelor ..and be forced to go on tinder grin.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:03am On Sep 19, 2017
Canadianfly:

Read the new post. Very informative. I was just telling my husband about the homeschooling route today and he said our kids would not take me serious cheesy. How do you put on a game face for your child?
Oh and I saw a comment on your post about abc mouse. Checked it out, looks very very good. Your thoughts?

It's my fear for my baby. He won't have ever gone to school here so he won't even know how to behave. Shey Pre-K starts 4 abi? It seems so far away.

@Impish, I am following your blog, bumper to fender.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 8:49am On Sep 19, 2017
Ballerz:
Update
We got to Egypt. They collected our passports - Toronto bound.

Cheers

Now - this really cracked me up! All the best wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 8:56am On Sep 19, 2017
Snappyfingaz:

Yes, you should do them when you get here.

Okay - that's fine. Many thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by fabdee: 10:29am On Sep 19, 2017
Yup yup
boldinc:
Just 3 days after delivery? shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olagold79: 10:33am On Sep 19, 2017
Hello house,

Thanks to everyone for the loads of informaion on this thread.

I do have a few questions as I am planning to get the PR, but I am really scared about the stories of difficulties in getting professional jobs.

I have a BSc in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering in Nigeria, and A masters of Materials and Processes Engineering from Estonia. I am currently working as a Bill of Materials Analyst after my Msc in Estonia.

My question is which is the best route to obtain the much-lauded "Canadian experience". I am considering taking power Engineering Diploma from NAIT or SAIT or somewhere in Ontario. Does anyone think this is a good prospect in terms of quickly getting into the industry or will it be better to pursue an MSC and get the Engineering certification. Which route has the highest possibilities/probability of getting into the industry and wihch provinces would you suggest.

Experinced answers will be highly appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olagold79: 10:41am On Sep 19, 2017
Another question I have: I do have an experience as a Plants Operations Manager in Nigeria around 2011. But at the moment ,I think the company no longer exists. I think adding this additional 1 year experience to my Estonian work experience it will boo my CRS score. How do I go about adding this work experience if I the CIC can no longer contact the comapny.

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.