Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980620 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 20, 2017
Am I the only one that shares everything blackbuddy writes before even reading it? grin cheesy

Keep up the good work @blackbuddy

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LordSir1: 8:25pm On Sep 20, 2017
Yooku:

Dayummm son shocked shocked shocked at boldened....You must be one smart chap to have made that average...as long as it was honest work wink. Congrats on surviving Electrical Machines,Semiconductor Devices,Digital Systems and all that Engineering Math razzmatazz grin Some of us only managed to scrape through by the skin of our teeth....Now listen, *puts hand around shoulder*, I'm sure you are feeling real high and mighty with that CWA but the real work in the real world starts after school and in a couple of years (not more than 1 or 2 max) no one will give a rat's ass whether you had a CWA of 99.9% if you can't deliver in the real world. For your post-grad ambitions kindly scoot over to the student visa thread and put your 1st Class awesomeness to work by starting from Page 0 from right here https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part and by the time you are at Page 50 thereabout you will be in "pole position" as the Semiconductor Devices lecturer used to put it for your Canada ambitions. All the best!!
Lol na God ....thanks a lot, I'll do just that
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2017
You are how I imagined you to be. Loll

Canadianfly:

Routine routine routine! That's the way to go. And the good thing is, even when you have family was easy to get them off to sleep.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:06pm On Sep 20, 2017
Wura27:
You are how I imagined you to be. Loll

Lmao. How biko?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by FSOFF: 9:28pm On Sep 20, 2017
hello house,
please how long on the average does it take to get PUM from Accra VO, Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 9:33pm On Sep 20, 2017
I love this. I wonder why some people believe it cannot work

Canadianfly:

Hahaha @ your last paragraph. grin

I have never been one for helps sha, maybe coz I moved to Naija recently and I no get strength to beg anybody to do anything for me. I have always done Creche and Daycare. Pick the kids on my way back from work, bath everybody and call it a night. So I guess there will be no difference for me when I move hahahaha as per no depression lol. I'll miss my cleaner though. He comes twice a week. That's what I'm worried about when we eventually move. Getting a cleaner. In Yankee, you can get them very easily for $40 per week.
Any way, you'll be fine once you get into a routine. Get the kids into a routine, everybody to bed at 7pm so you can breathe. I was hardcore with my two kids, sleep trained them at 2 months to sleep through the night coz I can't come and die. That what I had time for other things, cooking, etc. In fact if you want me to share my excel sheet routine with you, send me a pm. Hopefully you won't be scared like this woman has her kid on robot mode hahaha cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by britiko: 10:29pm On Sep 20, 2017
Hamiltondreamer:
Came across some websites and thought to share
Housing
Realtor.ca (really good) went through it myself and almost teleported myself to canada
Hometrader.ca
Kjiji.ca (already known here)

Temporary housing
Toronto
Safehomestay.com
Staystudio6.com

Just a word of advice. Be careful with all these sites. Never transact except u see it physically because even pple physically present in canada are duped. So beware!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sweetrie(f): 10:54pm On Sep 20, 2017
Canadianfly:

I'll send it when I get home tonight. I haven't sent to Ugoiyke yet. Will send together tonight.
Thank you very much. I got it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 11:52pm On Sep 20, 2017
Ballerz:
Driving
So I came to the driving centre today.
The queue was s long. But I was determined to get that sorted and out of the way.
Came with my Letter from FRSC, the license itself and Passport.

It got to my turn, did all the documentation, paid the 105 CAD, I proceeded to the screen. My heartbeat started racing faster than Dywane Johnson. This is the fate of the furious. I had seen people who did not pass and had to go queue up again (you pay 15 CAD for retake) but because of the queue and time, I really needed to pass. I had done enough practice test in Nigeria. (Here is the link I used. http://www.g1.ca/g1-practice-test/ Practice till you are clocking 100%. The questions were exact.)

Download the driving instructions manual and read when you are less busy or bored. When you have a good understanding of their rules, the practice test will be quite easy and a breeze. (Just Google it or send me a mail, I will fwd the pdf one I have).

I have also been told, if you are not sure, just skip. The test is divided into two sections. 1. Knowledge and Sign test. You can only fail four per section. So strategy is to ensure you get your 16 straight. So if you don't know/not sure, just skip so that even if na the last four you fail, you are good to go because once you fail more than four, the test stops. e.g. you fail number 1-5, that is game over.

So sha, I continued my test with heart racing, finally finally screen said I passed. I bounced off my seat like a boss awaiting my temporary license / result confirmation.
Cheers folks

You are a Rolling Stone bro gathering no moss. Congrats for acing your knowledge test. Can you help me out with the link for getting the FRSC reference letter. My travel to Canada date is fast approaching (Oct 7th) so I hope I should be able to get the hard copy before then?
Secondly, for the driving test is it with manual transmission or automatic?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 12:44am On Sep 21, 2017
Wura27:

Am I the only one that shares everything blackbuddy writes before even reading it? grin cheesy

Keep up the good work @blackbuddy

grin grin You are not the only one o.

@blackbuddy - Thanks so much. already bookmarked the links.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:00am On Sep 21, 2017
Much thanks again to @Ballerz for sharing his driving test experience and other tips. For those looking at getting the FRSC experience letter, you can send a mail to NDLverification@frsc.gov.ng and use this simple template to make the request,

Good day,
 I ... residing at the above address is requesting for driving history document showing clean records without any suspension.

DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER:

DATE OF BIRTH:

I require this to formalize my Canadian Driver’s License

I shall be willing to authorize the pick-up of this original document once it is ready, while appreciating issue of the soft extract to my e-mail: ......
for commencement of the processing of Driver’s license at Canada

Thanking you anticipation of your action and response.

Even if you're already in Canada, you can make the request and get the soft copy of their response for your use for driving licence/car insurance as well and have someone back home courier the hard copy to you after you give them written authorisation to pick it on your behalf. Hope this helps.

46 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 4:20am On Sep 21, 2017
impish:
Hi Blackbuddy and thanks for the useful resources.

Just to mention that our scanned copy of the FRSC letter was rejected last week at the Ottawa test centre we went to. We were told to return when we had the original hard copy. Our experience may have just been due to the lady who attended to us, but just thought to mention anyway. We never intended to write the test that day anyway, so we did not push. We had only gone to make enquiries and to see if my husband's temporary licence would be accepted.

Best,

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

Mrs O. They will only accept the original of the letter.
The kind of screening she gave letter pass the one bank tellers check when customers present cheques.
Kept reading the three document line by line.
She finally asked " what is a class B" . I simply said equivalent to your Class G. I think it is higher sef cos with class B in Nigeria you fit drive lorry.
She tore off the bio data page attached and returned to me that she doesn't need it.
Gave the documents to her supervisor to sign off on it.
Get someone to DHL it to you.
Or, If you send me an email, I can speak to my colleague who is on secondment there to get your letter for you.
Cheers

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 6:07am On Sep 21, 2017
Try travelpaddy.com. go to their site
soja84:
Hi All.....I just got our Passports back and COPR today.We plan to travel in February but we intend to book our tickets this month because of price.Destination is Regina but I haven't been able to get any direct flight there hence I intend to use travelstart.I even called egyptair but was told they don't fly to Regina directly.When I checked through travelstart,You'll fly egyptair to Toronto,then connect aircanada to Regina.However,I'm worried about this travelstart issue that I just read.We have a toddler who can be very handful and I can't imagine him in this kind of situation.Please any idea on the best way to book these tickets without going through this kind of experience, guys?I will really appreciate you response.Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 6:35am On Sep 21, 2017
Good morning all. please i want to ask some questions and need urgent response.

Those that got their credentials notarised, did you have any need to use the notarised copies? i want to go and do mine today at ikeja court.

Then for our electronic gadgets (phones, laptops) any idea of how and where to get the adapters (step down) that will work in canny or is there no need to worry about that?

Am i to make the list of accompanying goods and goods to follow on a plain sheet or is there a form to download online for that? If i am to make the list how does it look like. i remember seeing someone write here that you will put a price/cost to all items listed.

I have no one to stay with when i land, i am yet to book for where i will stay. any suggestions on how to go about booking reservations (not hotels o) and companies that render such short stay accomodation because i intend to look for accomodation from where i will stay temporarily. Do i have to pay for the accomodation before leaving naija or can i pay when i get there?

Then my luggages, i have seen that such companies will pick you up from the airport. i really need such services as i cant pay taxi fare for my landing luggages over there (okoro woman).

I am leaving on Monday 25th 1.30pm naija time to Land on Tuesday 7.30am canny time.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 6:40am On Sep 21, 2017
I forgot to mention my landing will be done at Pearson-Toronto and i intend to stay in mississauga.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 7:13am On Sep 21, 2017
czaratwork:
Good morning all. please i want to ask some questions and need urgent response.

Those that got their credentials notarised, did you have any need to use the notarised copies? i want to go and do mine today at ikeja court. Not sure about this...

Then for our electronic gadgets (phones, laptops) any idea of how and where to get the adapters (step down) that will work in canny or is there no need to worry about that? Phones, TVs Laptops and most gadgets do not not need step down... They are compatible with 110 & 220V. What you might need tho is a 2-pin adapter that'll fit into the sockets over there.

Am i to make the list of accompanying goods and goods to follow on a plain sheet or is there a form to download online for that? If i am to make the list how does it look like. i remember seeing someone write here that you will put a price/cost to all items listed. I think there's a form for that somewhere on CIC website. I can't remember where I saw it. People who have landed can pls confirm.

I have no one to stay with when i land, i am yet to book for where i will stay. any suggestions on how to go about booking reservations (not hotels o) and companies that render such short stay accomodation because i intend to look for accomodation from where i will stay temporarily. Do i have to pay for the accomodation before leaving naija or can i pay when i get there? airbnb.com is a good and affordable option. you can book for a week, months... as you might need.

Then my luggages, i have seen that such companies will pick you up from the airport. i really need such services as i cant pay taxi fare for my landing luggages over there (okoro woman). I believe you should be able to get a mini van from the airport (Ballerz can help with that... He mentioned he used one from the airport).

I am leaving on Monday 25th 1.30pm naija time to Land on Tuesday 7.30am canny time.

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 7:52am On Sep 21, 2017
Blackbuddy:
Much thanks again to Ballerz for sharing his driving test experience and other tips. For those looking at getting the FRSC experience letter, you can send a mail to NDLverification@frsc.gov.ng and use this simple template to make the request,

Good day,
 I ... residing at the above address is requesting for driving history document showing clean records without any suspension.

DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER:

DATE OF BIRTH:

I shall be willing to authorize the pick-up of this original document once it is ready, while appreciating issue of the soft extract to my e-mail: ......

Even if you're already in Canada, you can make the request and get the soft copy of their response for your use for driving licence/car insurance as well and have someone back home courier the hard copy to you after you give them written authorisation to pick it on your behalf. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Where do you collect the hard copy from? Location/address?

or can they post to your address? and at what cost?

How long does it generally take for the letter to be ready from time of request?

Thanks in anticipation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 8:21am On Sep 21, 2017
czaratwork:

Thanks Boss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 8:27am On Sep 21, 2017
FSOFF:
hello house,
please how long on the average does it take to get PUM from Accra VO, Thanks.

Hi...it takes between a day and maybe 2 weeks.My status changed to approved 2 Fridays ago and as at last week Friday,I didnt get a pick up Mail hence I had to send a mail to accraimmigration@international.gc.ca and I got my PUM in 2hrs after sending the mail.Finally got my Passports and copr this Monday.So if your status has been approved,you can send a mail.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 10:02am On Sep 21, 2017
czaratwork:

Please has anyone used Ethiopian Airlines before that can give me review about them?It's about the cheapest and am worried because of the price compared to even egyptair.I don't mind using a slightly higher price if one will get better comfort.Make I no go dey pennywise but poundfoolish.Please help the needy.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wumwum007(m): 10:16am On Sep 21, 2017
Please i will like you to help me out whith this issue too, been battling it for a while now, i will appreciate it if i can get your email address so that you can help with your colleague who is on secondment there to help get my letter too

Ballerz:

Mrs O. They will only accept the original of the letter.
The kind of screening she gave letter pass the one bank tellers check when customers present cheques.
Kept reading the three document line by line.
She finally asked " what is a class B" . I simply said equivalent to your Class G. I think it is higher sef cos with class B in Nigeria you fit drive lorry.
She tore off the bio data page attached and returned to me that she doesn't need it.
Gave the documents to her supervisor to sign off on it.
Get someone to DHL it to you.
Or, If you send me an email, I can speak to my colleague who is on secondment there to get your letter for you.
Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 12:43pm On Sep 21, 2017
Blackbuddy:
Much thanks again to @Ballerz for sharing his driving test experience and other tips. For those looking at getting the FRSC experience letter, you can send a mail to NDLverification@frsc.gov.ng and use this simple template to make the request,

Good day,

DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER:

DATE OF BIRTH:

Thanks for this guidance. God bless you

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:46pm On Sep 21, 2017
trishachi:

Thanks for the info.

Where do you collect the hard copy from? Location/address?

or can they post to your address? and at what cost?

How long does it generally take for the letter to be ready from time of request?

Thanks in anticipation.

Please see another template you can use to request the FRSC extract with physical address for pick up indicated,

(Your Address)

April 24, 2017

The Corps Marshal
Federal Road Safety Corps Hq
Wuse Zone 4
Abuja

Dear Sir;

APPLICATION FOR DRIVING RECORD AND AUTHENTICATION OF DRIVERS LICENSE

I, (Name), hereby apply for my driving record and authentication of my driver’s license.

Attached is a copy of my Driver’s License.

Thank you as I await your response.

Yours sincerely

(Name)

For those outside Lagos, you can indicate the address of the closest FRSC Zonal Command to you or your family and friends who you can authorise to pick up for you. Based on experices shared with me, it could be ready for pick up between 3 days to 1 month. One can't rule out the efficiency of our dear people but at least, there's a process in place. Hope its clearer, cheers.

25 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:56pm On Sep 21, 2017
impish:
Hi Blackbuddy and thanks for the useful resources.

Just to mention that our scanned copy of the FRSC letter was rejected last week at the Ottawa test centre we went to. We were told to return when we had the original hard copy. Our experience may have just been due to the lady who attended to us, but just thought to mention anyway. We never intended to write the test that day anyway, so we did not push. We had only gone to make enquiries and to see if my husband's temporary licence would be accepted.

Best,

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

Thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't use the FRSC extract back when I got my Canadian licence but I know a chap who was able to get his processed using a printed copy. I agree with you that it depends on who's handling your request at their office. When I changed addresses here and went to get a new licence with my new address, the lady who attended to us didn't even bother to see our supporting documents! My wife and I looked at each other in amazement. So I guess who you interact with at the licensing office plays a part in how they handle your issue. I hope others have pleasant experiences.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 1:27pm On Sep 21, 2017
Congrats Ballerz,
Did you say 15 CAD for retake?Thats a serious matter. Id the FRSC letter a requirement - i am just curious.
Pls send the driving instructions manual to tribedan20006@yahoo.com

Ballerz:
Driving
So I came to the driving centre today.
The queue was s long. But I was determined to get that sorted and out of the way.
Came with my Letter from FRSC, the license itself and Passport.

It got to my turn, did all the documentation, paid the 105 CAD, I proceeded to the screen. My heartbeat started racing faster than Dywane Johnson. This is the fate of the furious. I had seen people who did not pass and had to go queue up again (you pay 15 CAD for retake) but because of the queue and time, I really needed to pass. I had done enough practice test in Nigeria. (Here is the link I used. http://www.g1.ca/g1-practice-test/ Practice till you are clocking 100%. The questions were exact.)

Download the driving instructions manual and read when you are less busy or bored. When you have a good understanding of their rules, the practice test will be quite easy and a breeze. (Just Google it or send me a mail, I will fwd the pdf one I have).

I have also been told, if you are not sure, just skip. The test is divided into two sections. 1. Knowledge and Sign test. You can only fail four per section. So strategy is to ensure you get your 16 straight. So if you don't know/not sure, just skip so that even if na the last four you fail, you are good to go because once you fail more than four, the test stops. e.g. you fail number 1-5, that is game over.

So sha, I continued my test with heart racing, finally finally screen said I passed. I bounced off my seat like a boss awaiting my temporary license / result confirmation.
Cheers folks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:03pm On Sep 21, 2017
Please see a link to The Official Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Driver's Handbook for Ontario,

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook

This link is for other provinces, http://find-a-driving-school.ca/drivers-handbooks/

18 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 2:12pm On Sep 21, 2017
Merci beaucoup Monsieur Blackbuddy.

Blackbuddy:
Please see a link to The Official Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Driver's Handbook for Ontario,

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook

This link is for other provinces, http://find-a-driving-school.ca/drivers-handbooks/

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Temeric: 4:21pm On Sep 21, 2017
Ballerz:
Long Post Alert
I was scheduled to fly with BA on Thursday Sept 14,2017.
Plan was to leave the house 4.30am and get to the airport for 5am unfortunately the cab man did not come on time. I got to the airport with 7 bags.

I had planned to pay for 5 extra bags at the rate of 200 dollars per bag. I got there they said all my bags were over weight. I said proceed I will pay for the charges. (I just wanted to board). She said all my bags were over weight. 7 bags became 8 bags. Split into 2 x 23kg and 6 x32kg. They billed me 1,890 which i paid (they were shocked), me sef was not thinking of the Naira equivalent if not, I for run but because I already had two interviews booked for the next day. BA lands 8.30 Toronto time. I had scheduled one interview for 11am and another for 3pm. So na the appointment dey my mind not the money I was throwing at extra and excess baggages (wasting)

On my way upstairs, NIS said they need to confirm my cash, I brought it out to count because they said they need physical confirmation since it is more than 10k. They told me to come to corner (I knew the implication of corner things, I said no) from there I went upstairs to board that is when they called my name that my attention is needed down stairs

On getting there I realised one of their staff in the course of assisting and commotion of "we need to take off" had removed the wine I wanted to chill and relax with fried chicken had removed it from my hand luggage and kept into a check-in luggage. Dammmmnnnn... It broke and damaged all my clothes in that bag which were mostly whites.

I still said let's take off, I dont mind. I will sort out the damaged bags when I get to destination, then later they said no that I need to sort out the bags and they need to take off. That is how i did not fly o.

First thing I did was to collect my flenty flenty money i had paid as excess and extra luggage. I asked them to put me on the next flight, that was when nightmare started. "You need to get in touch with your agent, since you did not buy directly from us, we cannot reschedule you". Called Travelstart (The worst agent in terms of customer service. They are ever non responsive.) From 8am i kept calling and did not reach them until 10.30am. While waiting for Travelstart, I decided to go the cargo route. Then I was told they will not come until 9.30am. So i became a refugee moving with my loads. Good thing is that the cab man that took me to the airport, i did not dismiss him.

Airfrance finally came and gave me an invoice of 184,000 for 192kg. Did the calculations still better than 1890 USD BA was going to collect. Then they said i will pay some fees - clearing agency, NDLEA, customs etc. Bottom line everything came to about 260k. Which was still acceptable. Meanwhile i was waiting for travelstart to confirm which flight they were putting me on. They came back and said the next available flight is Wednesday 20th. I said ok proceed. Then.... they came back again and said BA put a comment "Partial No show...." and because of this comment they cannot reschedule, that I have to get in touch with BA.

Some1 advised that since they had issued me boarding pass, they are obligated to put me on the next available flight at no extra cost, because it is their headache since i already have a boarding pass. Friday Morning 5am, 15th September, took off to go rake for BA (on what they mean by partial no show). The lady simply said "your agent do not know what they are doing. This was the same comment I put for others that we disembarked and their agents has rebooked them and the ones that bought from us were put on a flight for this morning" The Manager or colleague said, "Just delete all the comment so that they will not have any other excuse"
Waited till 9.30am before travelstart line will get opened, while waiting, I immediately went to same travelstart website and booked another flight on Egypt air for Sunday 17th September. Which was the cheapest i could see (540k). Made payment via bank transfer. So when they came online, they wanted to start stories, I said "for the fact that I have a Boarding pass, it is not my headache put me on the next flight or give me a full refund. Wole was the one that picked the call, later he called his supervisor (Victoria Awo something....) after narrating all that happened she was stammering about full refund but when i imsisted that I have boarding pass and I will shred them on social media and especially twitter. I said i no longer wish to speak to you but your supervisor, She said she is the supervisor. I said, i mean the supervisor's Supervisor and i threatened social media action. She said I should give her some minutes she will revert to me. Then I said please confirm my payment for Egypt. So you have two options now, put me on a BA flight and refund the Egypt or confirm my egypt ticket and refund my BA.

15 mins later she came back that she has spoken to the operations manager who said it is easier for them to put me on BA for Sunday and refund the Egypt and they are forwarding the request to South Africa Office. Thereafter I mailed the interviewers and rescheduled since it was confirmed that Sunday is a Go day either Egypt or BA, I will be airborne.

At 5pm she now came and said they will be refunding BA but will not be giving me my full 530k but 454k and they will confirm the Egypt ticket. Another drama started that i must collect my full refund. They said the 250 dollars penalty is from Air canada. I said you knw what, since I am a Canadian resident, send me a mail and I will sue Aircanada. She ran off the phone again and said I will get back to you.

Now that my Egypt Ticket is confirmed for Sunday. I started planning for Sunday. I had not eaten better food in 48hours. I returned to my house as a refugee since everything was sold and the house stripped. With ticket confirmed, I logged onto Egypt and purchased 4 extra bags which was meant to be 150 Dollars but buying online you get 20% discount. To pay for extra luggage became another nightmare. I really wanted this prepayment because what BA charged 210 USD (Even though on their website it says 200 USD) for is what I am going to get for 120 USD. The portal on egypt was not working, tracked them down on FB, they sent me a mail to send the request to. They responded to the email and gave me a number to call. (Calling Egypt from Nigeria is soooo expensive) I call Canada and US for one hour and i pay like 475 Naira but this egypt was less than 20 minutes and i saw 1635 as call charge.
Bottom line, I was able to make the purchase of 4 extra bags at 490 USD (because they charged in Dirhams) After the payment I was finally at peace. I decided to cargo the remaining 100kg of load from Nigeria to Toronto.
Sunday 17th September, I got to airport very well ahead of time. My scale was now very accurate because I went to purchase a new digital scale to get my readings right as the previous scale was really a deceiver.

Time for check-in started, put my stuffs on the scale, they were quite good. Told the dude to bubble wrap them and paid 1k per Bag. Got to the counter, told them i had paid for 4 extra bags. They asked for receipts and to sight the Credit card, which I presented. They rescaled my loads and were reading 26, 26, 25, 23, 23, 25. I simply told them their scale is faulty and went to call the bubble wrap guy. We confirmed their scale had shifted a bit forward, so they let me pass. Then, they said I should put hand luggage on scale which read 18kg. He said it was high. I told him it is laptop and books in there (Because I had 2 laptops and 1 tablet). I opened it for him and they were so kind and said split it and have a third carry-on which was just meant to be two. It was this same carry on, BA was adamnat that it must not exceed 2 that they messed up my whole trip. Everything work together for Good sha, because i collected my plenty Benjamins back, paid it cheaper on Egyptair and discovered how to do Cargo business. I will soon open my own african shop in Brampton/Missisauga. Please watch out.

On my way to Board, encountered immigration again. First trouble, that I filled the form with green pen. He gave me back the form and a blue pen to start tracing. I said never. Give me a new form to fill. I am not going to retrace anything. He said, He does not have another form, I said I will not retrace since your form did not indicate a particular ink I am at liberty to fill in whatever ink. His supervisor came and started story of can you fill Bank instruments in Green. I said yes, specifically when I was in Zenith Bank 10 years ago, we had a customer whose instruction says, his check must be written in green ink, u honour any other color, he will sue you.

So money matters, since I was travelling with over 10k USD, she said the Bank only gives 4k, I said yes I am at liberty to buy from Black market. She asked for receipt from aboki, I sid i dont have. She now started saying what will she fill on the system bla bla. I said fill whatever you like. I do not have aboki receipts and I have declared my cash. I have offered to show you transactions outflow from my account to aboki. She asked for my business card, I said I do not have. I mentioned i worked with XXXX and we are known globally, she said something, I responded "who knows Nigeria Immigration beyond this country. She said after oil, they generate the highest revenue. I said, na FIRS with over 4trn aanual revenue. She told her otondo colleague not process the form cos i do not have receipt from aboki cos there is nothing for her fill as evidence of funds. That her inputting the details here will reflect in the system in toronto.... For real? like she is talking to a novice. I simply said can I go? She said yes. I said thank you and I left. (All her tactics to make me shake body was checkmated.

I boarded o and it has been smooth.... I am typing this epistle on board enroute to Cairo, after which I am off to prepare for my Toastings with the interviewers.

Lesson point
1.Get an accurate scale and do not exceed your 23kg
Don't be late to the airport. Try get there at least 2 hours before the official check in time. This will give you enough time to catch your breathe after moving plenty bags

2. Do not fly BA if you know you have load because airport purchase was charged 210 dollars even though website said 200

3.Don't buy your ticket from Agents especially travelstart, if you can help it (Though they get you cheap fares and options) because when complications like this arises, carrier, will say get in touch with Agent

4. If you know you will have extra luggage, just buy online, that 20% discount makes alot of sense. 600 Dollars became 490 Dollars.

5. In every situation, always see the good side. Myself and someone I met on this forum are already planning on the implementation of our business line. Watch out.

6. There is a 15k discount code on travelstart TSLIL15000. You can use it if your are yet to book your ticket. Thank me later.
Cheers Folks
Oga stop blaming the airline or the travel agent. the whole problem was caused by you. I always use travelstart and wakanow and they have always been very good. people like you mislead the once who will not read in between the lines. you caused you problem yourself. I will keep using agencies to book flight and get the best deal. BA is a principled airline and don't tolerate this kind of your drama. I thank God you have learnt your lesson. i hope you really have learnt your lessons- if yes, please stop blaming the airline and even the agent.

Thank you for this code. it worked like magic. please guys go and try it. i got 15k reduction from the initial fare for real. can i use this more than once?

7 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.