Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981431 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teewhy31(f): 10:55am On Sep 19, 2017
Hello everyone, please I want to know if the details (basically name) on PR card is tied to your passport. Ehm, my passport bears my maiden name and my application as well. So wanted to be sure that I would have the option to state that my PR card bear my husband's family name.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mykelpato(m): 11:26am On Sep 19, 2017
Hello house... Can employers offer u a job from Canada and process E-visa for u? If so please.. I wil appreciate it when someone helps me with the link.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 12:14pm On Sep 19, 2017
nkigirl:

Hello Merrymum. I contacted you not too long ago about assisting or giving details on how to get an Angolan PCC

Please could you help?

Hi dear. No vex abeg, plenty tins. I just sent u a PM
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:23pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mykelpato:
Hello house... Can employers offer u a job from Canada and process E-visa for u? If so please.. I wil appreciate it when someone helps me with the link.

Hi, study the process at this link, cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 1:52pm On Sep 19, 2017
teewhy31:
Hello everyone, please I want to know if the details (basically name) on PR card is tied to your passport. Ehm, my passport bears my maiden name and my application as well. So wanted to be sure that I would have the option to state that my PR card bear my husband's family name.

Your PR card will bear the name you have on your COPR.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 1:57pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hello Ehrnie and all my senior colleagues,

Pls while filling in the application for EIT with APEGA did you use a Nigerian address for the address section or a Canada address. I have been trying to use my Naija address to no avail. It keeps giving the error message below:

Could not verify the following location: City [Lagos Mainland] State/Province: [Lagos] Country: [Nigeria]. Please check the spelling and try again

Pls any suggestion on this issue.

Ehrnie:
Hi All - I have an enquiry about APEGA Registration (for engineers) and I believe someone can help.

So I had my credential evaluation completed via WES, which what I used for my EE application. I have received my PR now.

To get myself prepared for Canada, I decided to register with APEGA to get EIT status. So, I applied for an upgrade of my WES report (i.e. I applied for the course-by-course evaluation). My understanding is that my universities do not have to send my transcripts, degree certs or complete any verification again since this was done previously. Strangely, I got an email from WES few days after applying for the upgrade that my application is pending because they are awaiting verification from my universtity. I am wondering why my university will verify what has already been verified.

I have sent two emails to WES via their contact page and yet no reply. I was on the phone this evening to a representative that was insisting my uni has to verify my transcript. I called again 2 hours after and spoke to another person. She also said the same thing (makes me think they have a scripted message they just read out to everyone). When she saw I wasn't having it, she said she will forward my enquiry to the appropriate dept and they will be in contact with me.

Please has anyone experienced this? Also, what medium can I use to call-out WES...as it is now this email and phone calls ain't working.

Sorry for my lengthy post...whew.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ugoeloka(m): 1:59pm On Sep 19, 2017
soja84:
Hi All.....I just got our Passports back and COPR today.We plan to travel in February but we intend to book our tickets this month because of price.Destination is Regina but I haven't been able to get any direct flight there hence I intend to use travelstart.[b]I even called egyptair [/b]but was told they don't fly to Regina directly.When I checked through travelstart,You'll fly egyptair to Toronto,then connect aircanada to Regina.However,I'm worried about this travelstart issue that I just read.We have a toddler who can be very handful and I can't imagine him in this kind of situation.Please any idea on the best way to book these tickets without going through this kind of experience, guys?I will really appreciate you response.Thanks.

hello @SOJA84... Can I please get the contact for Egypt air? I will like to contact them as regards travelling to canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
tribeD:
Hello Ehrnie and all my senior colleagues,

Pls while filling in the application for EIT with APEGA did you use a Nigerian address for the address section or a Canada address. I have been trying to use my Naija address to no avail. It keeps giving the error message below:

Could not verify the following location: City [Lagos Mainland] State/Province: [Lagos] Country: [Nigeria]. Please check the spelling and try again

Pls any suggestion on this issue.

Not sure I can fully answer your query because I didn't use a Nigeria or CAN address. I used a UK address and didn't have any issue. Why not try the step below;

As you type into the “City” field, a list of pre-existing entries will appear. The list will narrow down as you continue to type each letter. If the city already exists in the list, you can select it by clicking on the name when you see it. If the city does not exist, you can continue typing and enter the new city name.

Let's know if that works...

All the best!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2017
impish:
Hi Merrymum,

Thank you. Yes, we use abcmouse.com. It is one of our resources. Actually, before even starting, we did an assessment on there to determine the areas we needed extra work in. Also, we downloaded the app on my son's ipad and he loves it so

Anyway, back to abcmouse.com, based on the assessment, we were recommended certain lessons. We will reintroduce the ipad and incorporate those lessons into his curriculum, maybe in 2 weeks time. Today, he didn't even ask for his ipad, so we are making progress. Lol!

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

Nice!!! Good to know you find it helpful, so I'm encouraged to use it too. Thanks a lot. About weaning from the tablet, hmmm... kids these days like these gadgets too much. I fight with my small madam everyday about her watching nursery rhymes on my phone. But she almost always wins

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 4:35pm On Sep 19, 2017
Thanks Ehrnie.
I still couldn't get it to work. Ended up using an address in Canada.

Ehrnie:

Not sure I can fully answer your query because I didn't use a Nigeria or CAN address. I used a UK address and didn't have any issue. Why not try the step below;

As you type into the “City” field, a list of pre-existing entries will appear. The list will narrow down as you continue to type each letter. If the city already exists in the list, you can select it by clicking on the name when you see it. If the city does not exist, you can continue typing and enter the new city name.

Let's know if that works...

All the best!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teewhy31(f): 4:48pm On Sep 19, 2017
Oh! My maiden name.....thanks for your help.
SlowlybtSurely:

Your PR card will bear the name you have on your COPR.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:10pm On Sep 19, 2017
XX01:

It's my fear for my baby. He won't have ever gone to school here so he won't even know how to behave. Shey Pre-K starts 4 abi? It seems so far away.

@Impish, I am following your blog, bumper to fender.

Yea 4 or 5. I think it depends on province. Lol @ how to behave. That'll be the case for my last child. Just 6 months and I'm hoping the 1st child will also help in teaching when the time comes. Lol @ far away. I feel you. Even though my 1st is almost 3 now, 4 still seems like a million years away. But it's just one more year cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 6:20pm On Sep 19, 2017
tribeD:
Thanks Ehrnie.
I still couldn't get it to work. Ended up using an address in Canada.

Okay...cool
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkigirl: 6:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
The kind of stuff mothers go through. I have 2 kids. 7 and 4 and I have been checking Simon fraser school rankings online to know my preferred schools and the district so I can jejely look for houses there.
I hope my kids can adapt easily to school and not droo om grades due to adjustment. I heard its not easy

Meanwhile, someone told me a lot of mothers get depressed the first couple of months that they move because of the non stop housework and kids running around. Especially for people like me with 2 helps
***crying face***

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 6:33pm On Sep 19, 2017
(
Markab:
grin grin grin Bros all power belongs to God o
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:38pm On Sep 19, 2017
nkigirl:
The kind of stuff mothers go through. I have 2 kids. 7 and 4 and I have been checking Simon fraser school rankings online to know my preferred schools and the district so I can jejely look for houses there.
I hope my kids can adapt easily to school and not droo om grades due to adjustment. I heard its not easy

Meanwhile, someone told me a lot of mothers get depressed the first couple of months that they move because of the non stop housework and kids running around. Especially for people like me with 2 helps
***crying face***

Hahaha @ your last paragraph. grin

I have never been one for helps sha, maybe coz I moved to Naija recently and I no get strength to beg anybody to do anything for me. I have always done Creche and Daycare. Pick the kids on my way back from work, bath everybody and call it a night. So I guess there will be no difference for me when I move hahahaha as per no depression lol. I'll miss my cleaner though. He comes twice a week. That's what I'm worried about when we eventually move. Getting a cleaner. In Yankee, you can get them very easily for $40 per week.
Any way, you'll be fine once you get into a routine. Get the kids into a routine, everybody to bed at 7pm so you can breathe. I was hardcore with my two kids, sleep trained them at 2 months to sleep through the night coz I can't come and die. That what I had time for other things, cooking, etc. In fact if you want me to share my excel sheet routine with you, send me a pm. Hopefully you won't be scared like this woman has her kid on robot mode hahaha cheesy

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:47pm On Sep 19, 2017
FEB? Better to wait till April. Spring. February is still winter. 60days / 2 months will make a lot of difference.

soja84:
Hi All.....I just got our Passports back and COPR today.We plan to travel in February but we intend to book our tickets this month because of price.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Algbenguze: 6:54pm On Sep 19, 2017
Canadianfly:

I have never been one for helps sha, maybe coz I moved to Naija recently and I no get strength to beg anybody to do anything for me. I have always done Creche and Daycare. Pick the kids on my way back from work, bath everybody and call it a night. So I guess there will be no difference for me when I move hahahaha as per no depression lol. I'll miss my cleaner though. He comes twice a week. That's what I'm worried about when we eventually move. Getting a cleaner. In Yankee, you can get them very easily for $40 per week.
Any way, you'll be fine once you get into a routine. Get the kids into a routine, everybody to bed at 7pm so you can breathe. I was hardcore with my two kids, sleep trained them at 2 months to sleep through the night coz I can't come and die. That what I had time for other things, cooking, etc. In fact if you want me to share my excel sheet routine with you, send me a pm. Hopefully you won't be scared like this woman has her kid on robot mode hahaha cheesy

E no easy sha. Kudos to all you women out there.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:59pm On Sep 19, 2017
hi everyone been a minute. @Ehrnie, you are female! i am also a bit surprised at that revelation. LOL!!!

@impish well done @ your home schooling. I do not think I can home school my toddler, he is that child that literally lives for the great outdoors and thrives on socializing. He speaks to people on the elevator, in malls, on the street when we go for walks, etcetera. In fact, most of the people we have now met and been acquainted with is thanks to the lil' man. So, he has started off at a day home this fall. The past 4 months with him at home were "epic" coupled with the fact that I have an infant. It was just about time for him to go out. Rotflmao!
@the ipad situation, my son wasn't a TV or tablet child until we got here and he developed an addiction to his tablet that I got so worried about. Surprisingly after about 2 months he woke up one day and was over it. So, with kids I think they transition from one stage to the next. Try to reduce his screen time but don't fret over it, he would move on before you say Jack.

@salford1 this una weather na one in town. Last week, i forgot to check the forecast and dressed very light when I went out. Let's just say that would NEVER happen again! I literally froze my a** off and had to make an impromptu and unnecessary jacket purchase since I had a meeting and could not go back home.

However, so far so good in Calgary. Greetings to all!

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zaen: 7:07pm On Sep 19, 2017
teewhy31:
I'm having the same issue
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teewhy31(f): 7:18pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mehn....hope we can change later.sad though!
Zaen:
I'm having the same issue
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 7:30pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ugoeloka:
hello @SOJA84... Can I please get the contact for Egypt air? I will like to contact them as regards travelling to canada

Hi...just got your message.Lagos numbers:01-2712307,01-2712308 for reservation.01-2624407 for airport.However,I called the Abuja number,08188880883 or 08188880884.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2017
Snappyfingaz:

None of those international airlines will fly to Regina but you can book the flight and you'd always be reconnected from Toronto or else to Regina via any of the local airlines. I'd advise you use Flighthub. They will even suggest cheaper options for you but might be different date from what you really want.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2017
Canadianfly:

i am definitely sending you a pm as well! I am sure I need d routine...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 7:48pm On Sep 19, 2017
soja84:
Hi All.....I just got our Passports back and COPR today.We plan to travel in February but we intend to book our tickets this month because of price.Destination is Regina but I haven't been able to get any direct flight there hence I intend to use travelstart.I even called egyptair but was told they don't fly to Regina directly.When I checked through travelstart,You'll fly egyptair to Toronto,then connect aircanada to Regina.However,I'm worried about this travelstart issue that I just read.We have a toddler who can be very handful and I can't imagine him in this kind of situation.Please any idea on the best way to book these tickets without going through this kind of experience, guys?I will really appreciate you response.Thanks.

you ve got a PM sir. Check your inbox pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2017
Sleep routine is so key for kids. I didn't exactly have a help back in Nigeria as well so routines are so key.

I did have someone who did cleaning and ran errands on demand but my spouse and I still did domestic work so it was not such a drastic change. If your spouse is also domesticated then its easy as you both help each other out. If not, its still all good. You would not have to clean your house everyday if your kids aren't "messy" We vacuum once a week and try to wash the bathrooms once in 2 weeks but its more like once in a month now cheesy cheesy cheesy
We have wash days. Its Wednesdays for us., split into 3 washes for adults,kids and then my baby, just because we use different detergents for the kids.
If you don't like washing plates then the dishwasher is your friend. Load it up during the day and run the cycle at night.
We try to take our garbage out once every 2 days but its more like once every 5 days now cheesy cheesy cheesy
Currently grocery shopping is about once in 3 weeks.

It really is not as hard as you think. You would adjust easily. For me the hardest thing is if you are with your kids 24/7. You begin to realize that children do not do well when in a confined space. So, you can deal with this by taking them for play dates or even to the park regularly. They would be easier to handle and would sleep better when they are able to play and interact with other kids.

26 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.