Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (43649 Views)

"English That Only Makes Sense In Nigeria" Trends On Twitter, Ah Naija Self / Drop An English That Will Move Mountains And Dry Up River Niger. Mine Is? / Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by teamsynergy: 9:03am On Feb 09, 2017
I gave up on all these pronunciation ish the day I first witnessed an English man conversing with a market woman and the man was able to pick and understand what the woman was saying..... if you have been to other African countries and hear them speak English, u go give credit to Naija wa....walahi, we dey try

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by twaintoy(f): 9:04am On Feb 09, 2017
"I am not hearing you" embarrassed me some weeks ago. English is too complex.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by katniss(f): 9:05am On Feb 09, 2017
I hate it when people say "more better"

2 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by fpeter(f): 9:06am On Feb 09, 2017
Nice one there!
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by theway83: 9:06am On Feb 09, 2017
I done Bleep up in big time.
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by emmanuel4758(m): 9:07am On Feb 09, 2017
GreenMavro:
wink

English is not our moda tongue...

assuming na common mistake in yoruba or bini now, i go contribute.

abeg, is this statement 'GIVE HIM HIM THING' a correct sentence? angry angry
yes as far as u no get sense
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 09, 2017
i speak, u undastnd. knowin all these wont put food on my table. ;Di speak, u undastnd. knowin all these wont put food on my table.
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by 989900: 9:07am On Feb 09, 2017
Revert.

Revert back.

Kindly revert. #correct

Etymology is ephemeral.

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Royalfurnitures: 9:08am On Feb 09, 2017
Thanks very much our teacher, teach us more

Please check out my signature for quality and durable furniture

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by theway83: 9:08am On Feb 09, 2017
English is my problem while Yoruba is my hobbies

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Bustincole(m): 9:13am On Feb 09, 2017
Check dis pix and u will see a bunch of Naijiriya artist

Most of dare music are usually in Yoruba and Pidgin

So the Bleep is dat who English epp

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by EMMAXBLESS(m): 9:18am On Feb 09, 2017
thanks man but I love my own language than anything else #shout_out_to_great_naija_languages
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Nobody: 9:21am On Feb 09, 2017
2romantic:

There are many commonly misused, misspelled, and mispronounced words in English. I will try to mention, to the best of my knowledge and experience, the most commonly abused words here.

HEARING: The word HEAR is a verb. The incorrect use of hearing is usually over phone communication for example “I am not hearing you’’ This is wrong. The correct way to say this is: “I cannot hear you’’

Simply put: HEAR is a Non-continuous Verb.
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 09, 2017
BodePolScience:
lots of embarrassment, I think language or grammar ought not to trouble us as correct pronunciation doesn't really matter, what matters the most is efficient communication. We have the US, Austria and British pronunciations so why should we be bothered with lots of rules and seemingly inconsistencies inherent in language.

My thought anyway
nice tot sir, we be English ppl? Chaina they succeed without English, why they wan kill us, tomorrow somebody will still come and say the corrected one is also wrong, wetin sef

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Kaxmytex(m): 9:22am On Feb 09, 2017
Comprehension ni koko jor... inasmuch u comprehend wetin i dey yahn....i fink we are good to go

why giving myself unnecessary problem ontop anoda man's language....
shey theresa may and trump sabi yoruba ni?
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 09, 2017
metallisc:
really
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by ImaIma1(f): 9:24am On Feb 09, 2017
But it is our lingua franca

GreenMavro:
wink

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by MrDraey(m): 9:30am On Feb 09, 2017
revert
verb
rɪˈvəːt/
return to (a previous state, practice, topic, etc.).
"he reverted to his native language"
synonyms: return, go back, come back, change back, retrogress, regress, default; More
INDIAN
reply or respond to someone.
"we texted both Farah and Shirish, but neither of them reverted"
2romantic:

There are many commonly misused, misspelled, and mispronounced words in English. I will try to mention, to the best of my knowledge and experience, the most commonly abused words here.

HEARING: The word HEAR is a verb. The incorrect use of hearing is usually over phone communication for example “I am not hearing you’’ This is wrong. The correct way to say this is: “I cannot hear you’’

There are legal uses of the word though. There is the noun hearing which means the ability to perceive sounds. e.g. There are people who have very acute hearing.

Also, another noun form of hearing means an opportunity to state one’s case e.g. I think I had a fair hearing in court.

ATE: As we all know, ate is the past tense of eat. The problem with this word for most people is not so much in the use as in the pronunciation.

Very many people pronounce the word as “ETE’’ as in TETE, whatever that means.

The correct pronunciation of this word is ATE as in HATE without the “H’’

It might be embarrassing to mispronounce this simple word in public.

REVERT: Haven’t we all seen it in email correspondences, “Please Revert’’ or in some cases, “Revert Back’’.

Contrary to what many think, revert doesn’t mean reply.

Revert means return to (a previous state, practice etc.) For example, “You look so much better now that you are on a diet; please don’t revert to eating junk food’’.

If revert is used correctly as above, it would suffice on its own and not require the inclusion of “Back’’ as in “Revert back’’ as this would be redundancy.

MISCHIEVOUS: When someone is full of mischief, that person is said to be mischievous. People know this already but the problem with this word is the pronunciation.

The word is pronounced MIS-CHIEVIOUS by many. Blink and you miss it. Did you spot the difference? Yes, the letter “I’’. There is no letter “I’’ after the letter “V’’ and there isn’t supposed to be one, not in the spelling and definitely not in the pronunciation.

DEFINITELY: Definitely means beyond doubt. The problem with this word for many is not in the usage or the spelling, but like in the previous word, the problem is in the pronunciation.

This word is pronounced by many as DEF-I-NATE-LY.

It should instead be pronounced as it is written. DEF-I-NITE-LY.

PRONUNCIATION: This list would not be complete without this commonly mispronounced word. (No pun intended)

Pronounce is a verb and the noun form of it is pronunciation.

I believe the origin of the problem with this word is the disparity in the spelling of the verb and the noun.

Many people already know the word pronounce and they know how to spell it, so they probably just apply the modification from pronounce to pronounciation directly which is wrong. The correct spelling does not have the second “O’’.

The correct spelling and pronunciation is PRO-NUN-CI-A-TION. I reiterate, no pun intended.

So, to avoid embarrassment, please take note of these words and correct yourself appropriately.

www.laffhub.com/blog/common-mistakes-in-english-that-might-embarrass-you
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Gaskia: 9:32am On Feb 09, 2017
OP, kindly see meaning no. 12 below:

pronunciation
(IPA): /ɹə.ˈvɜː(ɹ)t/

etymology ▼ show
Noun
(plural reverts)

1. One who, or that which, reverts.
(religion) One who reverts to that religion which he had adhered to before having converted to another ▼ show
(Islam) A convert to Islam. ▼ show
(computing) The act of reversion (of e.g. a database transaction or source control repository) to an earlier state.
We've found that git reverts are at least an order of magnitude faster than SVN reverse merges.
translations (Islamic usage: convert to Islam)
French: conversion

2. Verb
(reverts, present participle reverting; past and past participle reverted)

3. (transitive) To turn back, or turn to the contrary; to reverse. ▼ show
To throw back; to reflect; to reverberate.

4. (transitive) To cause to return to a former condition.

5. (intransitive) To return; to come back.
If they attack, we will revert to the bunker.
▼ show

6. (intransitive) To return to the possession of.
When a book goes out of print, rights revert from the publisher to the author.

7. (intransitive) Of an estate: To return to its former owner, or to his or her heirs, when a grant comes to an end.
8. (transitive) To cause (a property or rights) to return to the previous owner.
Sometimes a publisher will automatically revert rights back to an author once a book has gone out of print.

9. (intransitive) To return to a former practice, condition, belief, etc.

10. (intransitive) To return to an earlier or primitive type or state; to take on the traits or characters of an ancestral type.

11. (intransitive) To change back, as from a soluble to an insoluble state or the reverse.
Phosphoric acid in certain fertilizers reverts.
(intransitive) To take up again or return to a previous topic.
(intransitive) To convert to Islam. ▼ show

12. (intransitive) To reply; to come back.
Please revert before Monday.

13. (transitive) To treat (a series, such as y = a + bx + cx2 + ..., where one variable y is expressed in powers of a second variable x), so as to find the second variable x expressed in a series arranged in powers of y.
translations (to turn back, or to the contrary; to reverse) ▼ show
translations (biology: to return to an earlier or primitive type or state) ▼ show

This text is extracted from the Wiktionary and it is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by ralph28(m): 9:33am On Feb 09, 2017
Pronunciation is non academic.
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by smudge2079(m): 9:37am On Feb 09, 2017
olaezebala:
IN lagbaja's voice
"I speak, u hear,
when u speak , I understand
toro ba ti ye ra, Idea lo ju
if i fire and u laff, i don't care..."
na d beginning of crazy be dat! No dey fear to express ur self... Tabon mehnnn... Gbo gbo gbosa
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Davifeghe(m): 9:42am On Feb 09, 2017
See how i come waste my mb
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by mrjaybaba(m): 9:43am On Feb 09, 2017
You are blocking my view .

Who builded this gada ?

Enter your shuu and follow me

cheesy
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by jaymantin(m): 9:43am On Feb 09, 2017
[quote author=BodePolScience post=53542302]lots of embarrassment, I think language or grammar ought not to trouble us as correct pronunciation doesn't really matter, what matters the most is efficient communication. We have the US, Austria and British pronunciations so why should we be bothered with lots of rules and seemingly inconsistencies inherent in language.

True bro, just check pronunciation of the word DIARY....you will see that one is British while the other is American.

Na only for naija we dey carry English for head forgetting the real info

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by ayabemm16: 9:52am On Feb 09, 2017
In the dictionary, the word ate is transcribed /et;/ thus, pronunciation is just et and not as "hate"
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by excel4us: 10:05am On Feb 09, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]good thinking
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by adamsfriday27(m): 10:15am On Feb 09, 2017
Imagine hw dis guy is commandin english dat am strngling 2 hear or learn vry welll...God help my unborn children 2 b beta dan dis guy..amen
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Chiefobdk1: 10:15am On Feb 09, 2017
Even English men still gbagam...
Why should I be worried.... Wayne rooney still get corrected on twitter steady.
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Inferno17: 10:23am On Feb 09, 2017
No, English is our father tongue... Hope u were taught with ur "moda tongue" in school? Abasha. Look and learn
GreenMavro:
wink
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Omonigeriarere: 10:30am On Feb 09, 2017
2romantic:

There are legal uses of the word though. There is the noun hearing which means the ability to perceive sounds. e.g. There are people who have very acute hearing.

Also, another noun form of hearing means an opportunity to state one’s case e.g. I think I had a fair hearing in court.

ATE: As we all know, ate is the past tense of eat. The problem with this word for most people is not so much in the use as in the pronunciation.

REVERT: Haven’t we all seen it in email correspondences, “Please Revert’’ or in some cases, “Revert Back’’.

Revert means return to (a previous state, practice etc.) For example, “You look so much better now that you are on a diet; please don’t revert to eating junk food’’.

If revert is used correctly as above, it would suffice on its own and not require the inclusion of “Back’’ as in “Revert back’’ as this would be redundancy.

MISCHIEVOUS: When someone is full of mischief, that person is said to be mischievous. People know this already but the problem with this word is the pronunciation.

The word is pronounced MIS-CHIEVIOUS by many. Blink and you miss it. Did you spot the difference? Yes, the letter “I’’. There is no letter “I’’ after the letter “V’’ and there isn’t supposed to be one, not in the spelling and definitely not in the pronunciation.

DEFINITELY: Definitely means beyond doubt. The problem with this word for many is not in the usage or the spelling, but like in the previous word, the problem is in the pronunciation.

PRONUNCIATION: This list would not be complete without this commonly mispronounced word. (No pun intended)

I believe the origin of the problem with this word is the disparity in the spelling of the verb and the noun.

Many people already know the word pronounce and they know how to spell it, so they probably just apply the modification from pronounce to pronounciation directly which is wrong. The correct spelling does not have the second “O’’.

The correct spelling and pronunciation is PRO-NUN-CI-A-TION. I reiterate, no pun intended.

So, to avoid embarrassment, please take note of these words and correct yourself appropriately.

You forgot to add that over 80% of Nigerian graduates will use the word 'am' instead of "I'm".
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by Yezzy(m): 10:44am On Feb 09, 2017
2romantic:

Well. Am of a different opinion when it comes to ate. Jst imagine u trying to say you ate eight chocolates you hate. Wats it gonna sound like. We need to focus more on application and usage. Besides based on my observations and findings the RP for ate is /et/
Re: Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You by bollify(m): 10:57am On Feb 09, 2017
Op, the first one is called stative verb as opposed to dynamic verb. Other of such verbs are like, hate, love etc. Their ING form is a noun we call gerund.

As for Ate, both pronunciation are correct. I.e /eit/ or /et/.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNILORIN Expels Salaudeen Waliu Aanuoluwa For Beating Lecturer To Coma / 12-Year-Old Student Impregnated By Katsina Vice Principal Puts To Bed / Ezeunala Ekene Franklin, Others Offered $4.35M Scholarships To Study In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.