Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? (4388 Views)

Non-jewish Peoples/religions Knew Of The Flood / How True Is Noah's Arc And The Story Of The Flood / Is The Biblical Account Of The Flood Truthful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 11:39pm On Dec 06, 2009
I was going through the "DNA prove of god" thread and I noticed that you as usual was waiting for science to discover something then quickly run to it and claim victory that your own god alone is responsible for it. I will like to ask you some specific questions regarding the Noah's flood story since you believe it was a historical account and the staggering amount of biodiversity we have on the planet. I want you to explain since you claim to "know"  everything  grin. Saying that "God did it" with out offering mainstream scientific explanations to back up your claims will NOT fly. . . . . .Since you are always shouting that science agrees with the bible then you have to provide scientific evidence to back up the bible and show that they truly agree without making blind and baseless assertions and claims. . . . . . .

If you look around you all you see is a great amount of biodiversity, I want you to explain how species diversity and distribution seen in the world today fits in with the flood story. According to the Noah’s ark story the following can be deduced. . . . .

1. The ark contained two or seven of every kind of land animals including birds.
2. Any terrestrial organisms not on the ark was completely destroyed during the flood that destroyed all life on earth.
3. As the flood waters receded, the ark came to rest atop the mountains of Ararat in present day Turkey.

We have a great amount of biodiversity on our planet. Functional ecosystems can be found everywhere we look, from the arctic tundra to underground caves to the great ocean depths where sun light does not reach and where there is no oxygen at all. Most of these organisms we see possess very specific adaptations and can only thrive within a narrow range of conditions. According to the flood story all terrestrial life were contained within the ark. This implies that the repopulation of every continent and island on the planet started from a single location i.e Turkey. 

When you think of habitats with very high biodiversity on the planet places like the Amazon rain forest, or Australia come to mind not Turkey. So here are my questions for you. I want you to explain to me using what ever scientific model you can lay your hands on as to how exactly did all of these organisms get distributed to their respective habitats after the flood? Was there human intervention, or was everything just left to go where it pleased on its own? If humans were involved and were responsible for sorting this out, then why do we see rich biodiversity on islands and in caves that are void of human life? Who was the person that was giving the task of taking the Polar bears to the arctic region or the mountain lions to north America?. . . . . How exactly did the very delicate animals and insects of the Amazon get shuttled halfway around the world since everything started from the Mountains of Ararat in Turkey? Remember scientific explanations only. . . . . . .

If humans were not responsible, then why do we see certain groups of animals restricted to very specific regions of the world? Why are there so many marsupials, kangaroo, and koala in Australia but none in Europe or Asia?. . . . . . Why is the Galapagos tortoise found only on the Galapagos Islands? Why aren’t there penguins at the North Pole? Or polar bears in Antarctica? and also keep in mind that even if  we are to believe that everything was somehow “delivered” to where it belongs, there will not be a functional habitat waiting when it gets there. . . . . . .

How do you explain the distribution of species throughout the world since you believe that everything(all life on the planet) began again after the flood about 4500 years ago some where in Turkey?. . . . .  You can consult the holy spirit to give you scientific explanations for the diverse biodiversity we see around and how we can reconcile it with the Noah's flood story which says that everything restarted from Turkey since that was where the boat settled after the flood. . .
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by noetic15(m): 12:43am On Dec 07, 2009
kudos for the well thought out thread. . . . its been a while since we had a real debate in this section. . .but ur OP was rather long.
In no particular order let me state the following,  . . . . . .

1. The diversification of species is NO evidence for evolution or any anti-creation concept. The bible was clear that God made beasts after their own kind. . .my biblical understanding is that this implies that species were made of various degrees with divergent attributes and God's final conclusion was that "all He has made was Good"

This diversification is no evidence for evolution simply because unless and until we are able to have an acceptable scientific explanation for the pioneer concept of life, from evolutions perspective, we CANNOT accept the claims of evolutionists. my point is that it is simply ridiculous to claim that the pioneer organisms that kick started evolution and subsequently life were non-organic (non-living) substances. This claim is both scientifically and intellectually unacceptable.
So if we cannot define the very origin of life and species by evolutionary concepts. . . .I think it is absolutely RIDICULOUS to accept any evolutionary claim on the diversification of life.

2. Bio-diversity fits perfectly into noah's account of the flood. . if u objectively look at the biblical claims,  . . . .
ur OP does not take into account the "spontaneous regeneration-ability" of plants,  . . which is also a scientific fact.
by biblical accounts we can assume that 7 kinds of every plant was preserved. . . . is it out of place to guess what noah did with them once he got out of the ark?

3. To understand the redistribution of these organisms/animals is to first comprehend the way by which they were gathered. how did they get into the ark? and why were they in the ark?
I will answer u this way. . . . . noah's events was a re-creation/preservation from damnation of life on earth by a super-intelligent creator. by this I can infer that since we have a potent evidence in the case of polystrate fossils which suggest that the flood took place. . .I can confidently assert the scientific plausibility of these preserved animals moving on (after the flood) to find adaptable areas. . .dont forget that by virture of scientific knowledge we can assert that adaptation is a necessity for organic survival. 

Submissively, I state that
A. the animals once off the ship of noah survived based on instincts and adaptable tendencies pertinent with life. They did NOT require a human being to transport them to their places of habitation like u thought. adaptation is a scientific fact.

B. the flood (water) on its own was a means of transportation. the present location of rootless polystrate fossils in Australia attests to this fact.

4. Since ur post assumes or rather submits that there was indeed a flood. . . . .would it be out of place to state that the super-intelligent being who caused the flood and made room for preservation also redistributed His creations. . . . but of course u dont consider this notion scientific, but u conveniently dismiss the scientific plausibility of creationism.

5. If by (3) above we can agree on the redistribution of plants then we can also analyse ur concerns of present day ecosystems.
An ecosystem is NOT a preceding component for the survival of an organism, because an organism is part of an ecosystem. This implies that an ecosystem is incomplete without an organism, since it is the environment along with the interdependent organism that forms an ecosystem.
In lieu of the above. . . let me state since the flood water and adaptation techniques were the primary modes of transportation, and since an ecosystem is only "form-able" with the existence of an interdependent organism. . it is safe to assert that ecosystems are a product of necessity, as such present ecosystems as mentioned by u are products of the redistribution of orgnisms and are as such NOT a big deal.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 1:03am On Dec 07, 2009
Very interesting reply I must say. . . .I need to attend to some private business for now and will definaley post my thoughts with regards to your reply tomorrow. Take care and good night. . . . . wink
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 4:53am On Dec 07, 2009

Pangaea

Pangaea, Pangæa, or Pangea (pronounced /pænˈdʒiːə/[1], from Ancient Greek πᾶν pan "entire", and Γαῖα Gaia "Earth", Latinized as Gæa) was the supercontinent that existed during the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras about 250 million years ago, before the component continents were separated into their current configuration.

The name was first used by Alfred Wegener, the German originator of the continental drift theory, in the 1920 edition of his book The Origin of Continents and Oceans (Die Entstehung der Kontinente und Ozeane). He postulated that all the continents had at one time formed a single supercontinent, Pangaea, before later breaking up and drifting to their present locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangea

Continental drift

Continental drift is the movement of the Earth's continents relative to each other. The hypothesis that continents 'drift' was first put forward by Abraham Ortelius in 1596 and was fully developed by Alfred Wegener in 1912. However, it was not until the development of the theory of plate tectonics in the 1960s, that a sufficient geological explanation of that movement was found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Drift
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 4:57am On Dec 07, 2009
Pangea animation

Antonio Snider-Pellegrini: Opening of the Atlantic

Continental Drift:

Map of Pangea:

wiki
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by BSD: 5:01am On Dec 07, 2009
Great thread!
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 5:12am On Dec 07, 2009
It is known that sea level is generally low when the continents are together and high when they are apart. For example, sea level was low at the time of formation of Pangaea (Permian) and Pannotia (latest Neoproterozoic), and rose rapidly to maxima during Ordovician and Cretaceous times, when the continents were dispersed.

For oceanic lithosphere that is less than about 75 million years old, a simple cooling half-space model of conductive cooling works,[1] in which the depth of the ocean basins d in areas in which there is no nearby subduction is a simple function of the age of the oceanic lithosphere t. In general,

[center][/center]

where κ is the thermal conductivity of the mantle lithosphere, and is approximately 10-6 [m2/s], and hr is the depth of the ridge below the ocean surface. After plugging in rough numbers for the sea floor, the equation becomes:

[center][/center]

where d is in meters and t is in millions of years, so that just-formed crust at the mid-ocean ridges lies at about 2,500 m depth, whereas 50 million-year-old seafloor lies at a depth of about 5000 m.
As the mean level of the sea floor decreases, the volume of the ocean basins increases, and if other factors that can control sea level remain constant, sea level falls. The converse is also true: younger oceanic lithosphere leads to shallower oceans and higher sea levels if other factors remain constant.

Area A can change when continents rift (stretching the continents decreases A and raises sea level) or as a result of continental collision (compressing the continents leads to an increase A and lowers sea level). Increasing sea level will flood the continents, while decreasing sea level will expose continental shelves.

Because the continental shelf has a very low slope, a small increase in sea level will result in a large change in the percent of continents flooded.

If the world ocean on average is young, the seafloor will be relatively shallow, and sea level will be high: more of the continents are flooded. If the world ocean is on average old, seafloor will be relatively deep, and sea level will be low: more of the continents will be exposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercontinent_cycle
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by PastorAIO: 9:36am On Dec 07, 2009
The OP is long. Before we get there shouldn't be ask how all the species in the world got onto the Ark in the first place.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 11:20am On Dec 07, 2009
@ tpia did you bother to read the article you posted from wikipedia before posting it? What has Pangaea got to do with the biodiversity and the Noah's flood? Did you not see where it states in the article you pasted that "the supercontinent that existed during the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras about 250 million years ago, before the component continents were separated into their current configuration."

How do you reconcile Pangaea with the Noah's flood story that is claimed to have happened just 4500 years ago? Or are you trying to say that all the Continents were together just 4500 years ago? Do you have any evidence for this?
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 12:15pm On Dec 07, 2009
noetic15:

1. The diversification of species is NO evidence for evolution or any anti-creation concept. The bible was clear that God made beasts after their own kind. . .my biblical understanding is that this implies that species were made of various degrees with divergent attributes and God's final conclusion was that "all He has made was Good"

I understand your position very well with regards to creationism  and the biblical creation account but I just wanted us to limit the discussion to the Noah's flood and how terrestrial life began from a single point where the ark settled. You final statement about God declaring that "all he made was good" contains a lot of problems but I am not interested about that debate here on this thread. . . . .

This diversification is no evidence for evolution simply because unless and until we are able to have an acceptable scientific explanation for the pioneer concept of life, from evolutions perspective, we CANNOT accept the claims of evolutionists. my point is that it is simply ridiculous to claim that the pioneer organisms that kick started evolution and subsequently life were non-organic (non-living) substances. This claim is both scientifically and intellectually unacceptable.
So if we cannot define the very origin of life and species by evolutionary concepts. . . .I think it is absolutely RIDICULOUS to accept any evolutionary claim on the diversification of life.

Here I will have to disagree with you, I know you need to believe that evolution is wrong or invalid,(I am not saying it is true) But the definition of evolution has nothing to do with the pioneer concept of life, once life is here on the earth evolution attempts to provide explanation for the staggering biodiversity we see around us. The theory has never tried or attempted to talk about the pioneer concept of life that is why there are so many theistic evolutionist who believe that their various gods created life and used the evolutionary process to diversify life. I am not saying that evolution is true all I am saying is that it attempts to provide explanations for the biodiversity we see around us.

2. Bio-diversity fits perfectly into noah's account of the flood. . if u objectively look at the biblical claims,  . . . .
your OP does not take into account the "spontaneous regeneration-ability" of plants,  . . which is also a scientific fact.
by biblical accounts we can assume that 7 kinds of every plant was preserved. . . . is it out of place to guess what noah did with them once he got out of the ark?

I am sorry to say but you are equivocating here. How is it out of place to guess what Noah did with the plants if the story is actually true? I will just assume for just for this thread that God created the plants again, just the way he created them in the beginning as recorded in genesis 1. The bible only talks about God telling Noah to gather together all terrestrial life and organisms and birds that fly in the air in pairs so that he will preserve them and later use them to repopulate the planet after the flood(Which is claimed to have destroyed all life on earth).

3. To understand the redistribution of these organisms/animals is to first comprehend the way by which they were gathered. how did they get into the ark? and why were they in the ark?
I will answer u this way. . . . . noah's events was a re-creation/preservation from damnation of life on earth by a super-intelligent creator. by this I can infer that since we have a potent evidence in the case of polystrate fossils which suggest that the flood took place. . .I can confidently assert the scientific plausibility of these preserved animals moving on (after the flood) to find adaptable areas. . .dont forget that by virture of scientific knowledge we can assert that adaptation is a necessity for organic survival. 

I am sorry to say but you are still equivocating. . . . We have already talked about plolystrate fossils and my understanding is that geologist have provided more than enough evidence for how some of them were formed and their explanations does not involve a global flood, it involves local flood and volcanoes etc. How exactly did the Mountain lion move from Turkey and finally settled in a habitable environment like North America? How did the Kangaroo, and Koala get to Australia. Besides, just how would all those animals know which direction to walk in to find a habitat in which they could thrive?

Submissively, I state that
A. the animals once off the ship of noah survived based on instincts and adaptable tendencies pertinent with life. They did NOT require a human being to transport them to their places of habitation like u thought. adaptation is a scientific fact.

You have to provide evidence to show that this is possible.How will a polar bear survive in Turkey What about a kangaroo? How will such animals survive from turkey and move almost half the world across to their present location? How do penguins get to the south pole from Turkey? I did not really say that they relied on humans to transport them I was only stating the possibilities of how they could have gotten to their various locations. 

B. the flood (water) on its own was a means of transportation. the present location of rootless polystrate fossils in Australia attests to this fact.

We will always disagree on this, the rootless polystrate fossils very different geological explanations and geologist do not attribute it to any global flood at all. . . . .The flood water could NOT be a means of transportation because according to the story Noah and the animals did not get out of the ark until the water had completely receded and the ground was dry.

4. Since your post assumes or rather submits that there was indeed a flood. . . . .would it be out of place to state that the super-intelligent being who caused the flood and made room for preservation also redistributed His creations. . . . but of course u dont consider this notion scientific, but u conveniently dismiss the scientific plausibility of creationism.

Is this not the same thing you accuse evolutionist of doing? Supposition and assumption, your statement above is nothing but special pleading IMO. You claim that science supports your beliefs but run and throw the god did it card when you have no credible explanation.

5. If by (3) above we can agree on the redistribution of plants then we can also analyse your concerns of present day ecosystems.
An ecosystem is NOT a preceding component for the survival of an organism, because an organism is part of an ecosystem. This implies that an ecosystem is incomplete without an organism, since it is the environment along with the interdependent organism that forms an ecosystem.
In lieu of the above. . . let me state since the flood water and adaptation techniques were the primary modes of transportation, and since an ecosystem is only "form-able" with the existence of an interdependent organism. . it is safe to assert that ecosystems are a product of necessity, as such present ecosystems as mentioned by u are products of the redistribution of orgnisms and are as such NOT a big deal.

Let me reiterate that the flood waters can NOT be a mode of transportation because according to the story Noah and the animals DID NOT go out of the ark until the water had completely receded and the waters were dried from the earth according to the story. . . .

"In the six hundred and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried from off the earth, and Noah removed the covering of the ark and looked, and behold, the face of the ground was dry." God tells Noah to leave the ark, Noah offers a sacrifice to God, and God resolves never again to destroy the earth"
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2009
mazaje:

@ tpia did you bother to read the article you posted from wikipedia before posting it? What has Pangaea got to do with the biodiversity and the Noah's flood? Did you not see where it states in the article you pasted that "the supercontinent that existed during the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras about 250 million years ago, before the component continents were separated into their current configuration."

How do you reconcile Pangaea with the Noah's flood story that is claimed to have happened just 4500 years ago? Or are you trying to say that all the Continents were together just 4500 years ago? Do you have any evidence for this?

I dont hold any strong opinions about the various date theories yet since i havent really examined them- if you find anywhere I insisted Noah's flood happened 4500 years ago then point it out.

This is the section of your post I was responding to for the main part:

We have a great amount of biodiversity on our planet. Functional ecosystems can be found everywhere we look, from the arctic tundra to underground caves to the great ocean depths where sun light does not reach and where there is no oxygen at all. Most of these organisms we see possess very specific adaptations and can only thrive within a narrow range of conditions. According to the flood story all terrestrial life were contained within the ark. This implies that the repopulation of every continent and island on the planet started from a single location i.e Turkey. 

When you think of habitats with very high biodiversity on the planet places like the Amazon rain forest, or Australia come to mind not Turkey.

So here are my questions for you. I want you to explain to me using what ever scientific model you can lay your hands on as to

how exactly did all of these organisms get distributed to their respective habitats after the flood?

Was there human intervention, or was everything just left to go where it pleased on its own? If humans were involved and were responsible for sorting this out, then

why do we see rich biodiversity on islands and in caves that are void of human life?

Who was the person that was giving the task of taking the Polar bears to the arctic region or the mountain lions to north America?. . . . .

How exactly did the very delicate animals and insects of the Amazon get shuttled halfway around the world since everything started from the Mountains of Ararat in Turkey?

[size=14pt]Remember scientific explanations only. . . . . . . [/size]

If humans were not responsible, then why do we see certain groups of animals restricted to very specific regions of the world? Why are there so many marsupials, kangaroo, and koala in Australia but none in Europe or Asia?. . . . . . Why is the Galapagos tortoise found only on the Galapagos Islands? Why aren’t there penguins at the North Pole? Or polar bears in Antarctica? and also keep in mind that even if  we are to believe that everything was somehow “delivered” to where it belongs, there will not be a functional habitat waiting when it gets there. . . . . . .

How do you explain the distribution of species throughout the world since you believe that everything(all life on the planet) began again after the flood about 4500 years ago some where in Turkey?. . .

I know you were probably responding to a specific statement by noetic but just want to explain a few things.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by banom(m): 3:35pm On Dec 07, 2009
Tipia well done ooo shocked shocked shocked you are doing great.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 3:39pm On Dec 07, 2009
banom:

Tipia well done ooo shocked shocked shocked you are doing great.

I am now beginning to believe that you became a christian only to lure tpia and see if you can get down with her. . . . grin grin grin
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 3:44pm On Dec 07, 2009
tpia.:

I dont hold any strong opinions about the various date theories yet since i havent really examined them- if you find anywhere I insisted Noah's flood happened 4500 years ago then point it out.

This is the section of your post I was responding to for the main part:

I know you were probably responding to a specific statement by noetic but just want to explain a few things.

I understand very well the point you were trying to make. What I was trying to show is that Pangea according to the article you sited happened about 250 million years ago. . . That could not be the means of transportation used after the flood because the flood is claimed to have happened about 4500 years according to the bible. . . .
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2009
Eocene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eocene

During the Eocene, the continents continued to drift toward their present positions.

At the beginning of the period, Australia and Antarctica remained connected, and warm equatorial currents mixed with colder Antarctic waters, distributing the heat around the planet and keeping global temperatures high. But when Australia split from the southern continent around 45 mya, the warm equatorial currents were deflected away from Antarctica, and an isolated cold water channel developed between the two continents. The Antarctic region cooled down, and the ocean surrounding Antarctica began to freeze, sending cold water and icefloes north, reinforcing the cooling.

the beginning of the Eocene, the high temperatures and warm oceans created a moist, balmy environment, with forests spreading throughout the Earth from pole to pole. Apart from the driest deserts, Earth must have been entirely covered in forests.

Polar forests were quite extensive. Fossils and even preserved remains of trees such as swamp cypress and dawn redwood from the Eocene have been found on Ellesmere Island in the Arctic. The preserved remains are not fossils, but actual pieces preserved in oxygen-poor water in the swampy forests of the time and then buried before they had the chance to decompose. Even at that time, Ellesmere Island was only a few degrees in latitude further south than it is today. Fossils of subtropical and even tropical trees and plants from the Eocene have also been found in Greenland and Alaska. Tropical rainforests grew as far north as the Pacific Northwest and Europe.

Palm trees were growing as far north as Alaska and northern Europe during the early Eocene, although they became less abundant as the climate cooled. Dawn redwoods were far more extensive as well

Eocene-Oligocene extinction event

The transition between the end of the Eocene and the beginning of the Oligocene, called the Grande Coupure in Europe, occurring 33.9 ± 0.1 Ma, is marked by large-scale extinction and floral and faunal turnover (although minor in comparison to the largest mass extinctions).

Most of the affected organisms were marine or aquatic in nature. They included the last of the ancient cetaceans, the Archaeoceti.

This was a time of major climatic change, especially cooling, not obviously linked with any single major impact or any major volcanic event. One cause of the extinction event is speculated to be volcanic activity. Another speculation is that the extinctions are related to several meteorite impacts that occurred about this time. One such event happened near present-day Chesapeake Bay, and another in Central Siberia, scattering debris perhaps as far as Europe. The leading scientific theory on climate cooling at this time is decrease in atmospheric CO2, which slowy declined in the mid to late Eocene and possibly reached some threshold approximately 34 million years ago.

This boundary is closely linked with the Oligocene Oi-1 event, an oxygen isotope excursion that marks the beginning of ice sheet coverage on Antarctica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eocene-Oligocene_extinction_event

Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 07, 2009
mazaje:

I understand very well the point you were trying to make. What I was trying to show is that Pangea according to the article you sited happened about 250 million years ago. . . That could not be the means of transportation used after the flood because the flood is claimed to have happened about 4500 years according to the bible. . . .

the dates are subject to various interpretations. I'm just focusing on the actual events that could explain some of what you asked.

The bible doesnt specifically say 4500 years. That's a date some schools of thought hypothesized. Likewise the 250 million is hypothesis, not fact, meaning it can be contested like most other things in this world. Note however I'm not saying negating one affirms the other.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 07, 2009
here's one find carbondating the end of the last North American Ice age to a mere 7000 years ago:

Melting glaciers in Western Canada are revealing tree stumps up to 7,000 years old where the region's rivers of ice have retreated to a historic minimum, a geologist said today.

Radiocarbon dating of the wood from the stumps revealed the wood was far from fresh—some of it dated back to within a few thousand years of the end of the last ice age.

"Thus they really indicate when the glaciers overrode them, and their kill date gives the age of the glacier advance," Koch said. The age of the newly revealed ancient trees also indicates how long the glaciers have covered this region.

The radiocarbon dates seem to be the same around the world, according to Koch. There have been many advances and retreats of these glaciers over the past 7,000 years, but no retreats that have pushed them back so far upstream as to expose these trees.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/071030-tree-stumps.html

Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 07, 2009
The OU geologist has proposed that some 300 million years ago, during the late Paleozoic, glacial ice extended into what is now western Colorado. The problem is, western Colorado at that time sat directly athwart the equator, in a region that conventional wisdom believes to have enjoyed a warm tropical climate.

http://www.oufoundation.org/sm/winter07/story.asp?ID=229

Geoscientists have long presumed that, like today, the tropics remained warm throughout Earth's last major glaciation 300 million years ago.

New evidence, however, indicates that cold temperatures in fact episodically gripped these equatorial latitudes at that time.

Geologist Gerilyn Soreghan of Oklahoma University found evidence for this conclusion in the preservation of an ancient glacial landscape in the Rocky Mountains of western Colorado. Three hundred million years ago, the region was part of the tropics. The continents then were assembled into the supercontinent Pangaea

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/headline_universe/olpa/TropicsGlaciers_31July08.html&edu=high
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 4:44pm On Dec 07, 2009
What exactly are you "explaining" tpiah? grin grin. You are posting articles that talk about 300 millions of years when there was no life on earth I believe as possible explanation of how animals got around after the Noah's flood?
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by noetic15(m): 5:50pm On Dec 07, 2009
mazaje:

I understand your position very well with regards to creationism  and the biblical creation account but I just wanted us to limit the discussion to the Noah's flood and how terrestrial life began from a single point where the ark settled. You final statement about God declaring that "all he made was good" contains a lot of problems but I am not interested about that debate here on this thread. . . . .
ok . . .

Here I will have to disagree with you, I know you need to believe that evolution is wrong or invalid,(I am not saying it is true) But the definition of evolution has nothing to do with the pioneer concept of life, once life is here on the earth evolution attempts to provide explanation for the staggering biodiversity we see around us. The theory has never tried or attempted to talk about the pioneer concept of life that is why there are so many theistic evolutionist who believe that their various gods created life and used the evolutionary process to diversify life. I am not saying that evolution is true all I am saying is that it attempts to provide explanations for the biodiversity we see around us.

you should be familiar with my position on evolution by now. I am more interested in how the original life formed before it began diversifying. Evolution claims that this is from non-organic substances which is false. . . .but lets put this aside.

I am sorry to say but you are equivocating here. How is it out of place to guess what Noah did with the plants if the story is actually true? I will just assume for just for this thread that God created the plants again, just the way he created them in the beginning as recorded in genesis 1. The bible only talks about God telling Noah to gather together all terrestrial life and organisms and birds that fly in the air in pairs so that he will preserve them and later use them to repopulate the planet after the flood(Which is claimed to have destroyed all life on earth).

You do not deny the presence of these plants in the ship. . . . all I did was to ask what u though Noah did with them once he was out of the ark?
Like u rightly pointed out, .God's plan was to repopulate the earth. . but I disagree that God re-created plants. That we may not have the answers does not rule out the possibility of the obvious.

I am sorry to say but you are still equivocating. . . . We have already talked about plolystrate fossils and my understanding is that geologist have provided more than enough evidence for how some of them were formed and their explanations does not involve a global flood, it involves local flood and volcanoes etc.

I am afraid that the above assertions from ur "geologists" are FALSE. one does not require the knowledge of rocket science to decipher how elements as huge as rootless polystrate fossils could find themselves at the other end of the world. . .in an ageless form. u dont have to dismiss the facts to suit ur notions. the fact is that there are rootless polystrate fossils in australia who could only have been there through a global flood.

How exactly did the Mountain lion move from Turkey and finally settled in a habitable environment like North America? How did the Kangaroo, and Koala get to Australia. Besides, just how would all those animals know which direction to walk in to find a habitat in which they could thrive?
You have to provide evidence to show that this is possible.How will a polar bear survive in Turkey What about a kangaroo? How will such animals survive from turkey and move almost half the world across to their present location? How do penguins get to the south pole from Turkey? I did not really say that they relied on humans to transport them I was only stating the possibilities of how they could have gotten to their various locations.

u miss the whole point mazaje.

1. u make an assumption that the earth was as developed as this 45oo years ago. that explains why u would consider it impossible for a kangaroo to find its way to australia without having a private jet. Nope. . .the earth without the somplexities and ancient civilizations can best be described as an open field.
The natural instincts of adaptation and the urge to survive coupled with no restriction in mobility (since there was no life on the planet) is enough basis to explain the redistribution of these animals.

what do u think the state of the earth was after the flood and after the land had dried. the habitual nature of the earth would be the same all over the earth. . that all animals survived is a miracle science calls ADAPTATION.

We will always disagree on this, the rootless polystrate fossils very different geological explanations and geologist do not attribute it to any global flood at all. . . . .The flood water could NOT be a means of transportation because according to the story Noah and the animals did not get out of the ark until the water had completely receded and the ground was dry.

U can dispute the fact that the flood water could not have transported the inhabitants of the ark (for which u are right) but u cannot dispute the fact that it could have transported "other" substances like the polystrate fossils.

Is this not the same thing you accuse evolutionist of doing? Supposition and assumption, your statement above is nothing but special pleading IMO. You claim that science supports your beliefs but run and throw the god did it card when you have no credible explanation.
u would notice that I did not lay emphasis on it, I simply drew ur attention to it.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 6:41pm On Dec 07, 2009
noetic15:

you should be familiar with my position on evolution by now. I am more interested in how the original life formed before it began diversifying. Evolution claims that this is from non-organic substances which is false. . . .but lets put this aside.

OK. . . . .

You do not deny the presence of these plants in the ship. . . . all I did was to ask what u though Noah did with them once he was out of the ark?
Like u rightly pointed out, .God's plan was to repopulate the earth. . but I disagree that God re-created plants. That we may not have the answers does not rule out the possibility of the obvious.

I don't deny the presence of plants on the ship even though the story does not mention the presence of plants on the ship. According to the story a dove was sent to go and see if the water had subsided and the dove came back with a fresh olive leaf in her beak implying that there were plants that survived the flood. . . . .Why do you disagree that God re-created the plants?

I am afraid that the above assertions from your "geologists" are FALSE. one does not require the knowledge of rocket science to decipher how elements as huge as rootless polystrate fossils could find themselves at the other end of the world. . .in an ageless form. u dont have to dismiss the facts to suit your notions. the fact is that there are rootless polystrate fossils in australia who could only have been there through a global flood.

Local flood yes but global flood? There is no evidence for that at all. . . .A local flood could be responsible for their formation so there is no need to assume that it must be a global flood. . . .

u miss the whole point mazaje.

1. u make an assumption that the earth was as developed as this 45oo years ago. that explains why u would consider it impossible for a kangaroo to find its way to australia without having a private jet. Nope. . .the earth without the somplexities and ancient civilizations can best be described as an open field.
The natural instincts of adaptation and the urge to survive coupled with no restriction in mobility (since there was no life on the planet) is enough basis to explain the redistribution of these animals.

what do u think the state of the earth was after the flood and after the land had dried. the habitual nature of the earth would be the same all over the earth. . that all animals survived is a miracle science calls ADAPTATION

Personally I am more interested in the mechanism and I was anticipating to see which mechanism you will provide as to how the animals moved around to their current location. You talked about the natural instincts of adaptation and the urge to survive coupled with no restriction in mobility with out stating how exactly the process would have worked out. As an experiment, we could take a random sample of organisms from the Amazon, or the Australian outback, or the African Serengeti and move them to a swampy plain, void of any life (which is how conditions after the flood would have been). And then we will try to see how well they will survive. My guess is that the herbivores would starve, in the absence of plants, but even if there are plants available, The carnivores would start out eating the herbivores, The carnivores will eventually run out of food and starve as well. Depending on the location we chose for the experiment, the cold blooded animals would have a hard time maintaining their internal body temperature and would die out. . . . . Chances are, it would be too hot for some and too cold for others. Ectotherms are very sensitive to temperature changes. So based on these difficulties I believe that you simplistic assertions are not credible and convincing enough. . . .

U can dispute the fact that the flood water could not have transported the inhabitants of the ark (for which u are right) but u cannot dispute the fact that it could have transported "other" substances like the polystrate fossils.
u would notice that I did not lay emphasis on it, I simply drew your attention to it.

Ok lets assume that the flood waters truly formed the polystrate fossils. That explanation is quite understandable and can be agreed by any body familiar with the topic, The problem how ever is the process with which all the animals left Turkey to their present day location. But then there’s the second part of the problem, even if the animals can get from point X to point Y, why point Z? Why not A or B or C? This is what I was getting at in the first post. The kangaroo would probably do just as well in the African Serengeti as it does in the Austrialian Outback. So why is the kangaroo, and most of the other marsupials, in Australia? Why aren’t there any grizzly bears in northern Europe? Why don’t we see Galapagos tortoises living on most tropical islands instead of just the Galapagos?
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Kay17: 6:42pm On Dec 07, 2009
pls, how were the mountain lion and the kangaroo capable of crossing the large body of water that separated Turkey from their present habitats?
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 5:01am On Dec 08, 2009
mazaje:

What exactly are you "explaining" tpiah? grin grin. You are posting articles that talk about 300 millions of years when there was no life on earth I believe as possible explanation of how animals got around after the Noah's flood?

I'm saying the world during Noah's time wasnt the same as we know it today.

The continents were most likely not the same as now. The tropics, north and south poles were interchangeable.

If the earth only had one supercontinent at different periods, then that provides a land bridge for animals and humans to migrate over time. Continents drift constantly- the movement is just so slow as to be unnoticeable.

Besides, in the food chain, animals depend on different types of plant life. So its not too far fetched to wonder if plants getting localised to one region, would eventually cause animals to also move there. And vice versa.

For your polar bear analogy- algae/plankton determine fish concentrations and maybe type. Polar bears will follow the fish to somewhere where they can conveniently catch them. Habitat, etc.

Not to mention the fact that millions of species are even extinct- what you see today isnt the actual representation of the total.

And dont ignore man's contribution either- he takes different animals along wherever he goes.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 10:24am On Dec 08, 2009
tpia.:

I'm saying the world during Noah's time wasnt the same as we know it today.

The continents were most likely not the same as now. The tropics, north and south poles were interchangeable.

Do you have any scientific evidence to show that the continents were not the same as we have them about 5000 years ago(during the time of Noah)?

If the earth only had one supercontinent at different periods, then that provides a land bridge for animals and humans to migrate over time. Continents drift constantly- the movement is just so slow as to be unnoticeable.

The early earth scientifically ia about billions of years old not 4500 or 5000 years old. . . . .So this point is moot. . .

Besides, in the food chain, animals depend on different types of plant life. So its not too far fetched to wonder if plants getting localised to one region, would eventually cause animals to also move there. And vice versa.

How did the Mountain Lions of North American move from Turkey to North America? How did the incests found in the Amazon move from Turkey to the Amazon? What did they eat on the way?

For your polar bear analogy- algae/plankton determine fish concentrations and maybe type. Polar bears will follow the fish to somewhere where they can conveniently catch them. Habitat, etc.

Are you trying to tell me that the polar bear swam all the way from Turkey to Its present location?

And dont ignore man's contribution either- he takes different animals along wherever he goes.

There are a lot of species living on islands and caves void of any human. . . .
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Kay17: 12:30pm On Dec 08, 2009
the insects swam there and were sustained by water ONLY grin grin
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2009
majaze if you take time to go through my previous cut and pasted articles, you'll find the answers to most of your questions there.

I pasted them for a reason. They are scientific articles detailing the earth's history.

Ignore this time frame issue since it will only derail this particular thread.

I'm assuming this is a genuine thread and not just a Christianity bashfest as usual.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2009
kay17

you dont really seem too bright. Are you trying for a "smart" effect?
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 6:39pm On Dec 08, 2009
tpia.:

majaze if you take time to go through my previous cut and pasted articles, you'll find the answers to most of your questions there.

I understand what you were trying to explain but I find it unacceptable because those events happened when there were no humans present on earth as written in the various articles. . .You were trying to be scientific by providing scientific answers but why accept the scientific process only when it fits your own theory and position with regards to the mechanism and way of transport and discard the dates because it does not fit your own theory? Why accept the theory of Pangaea or continental drif as the mechanism responsible for the movement of animals from present day Turkey to their various locations all over the world but refuse to accept the date that was theorized for the occurance of the said events? I do not accept expalanations because continental drifts and Pangaea were theorized to have happened about 250 million years ago while the Noah's flood is said to have happened just 4500 years ago. . . .

I pasted them for a reason. They are scientific articles detailing the earth's history.

Ignore this time frame issue since it will only derail this particular thread.

And according to those articles there were no humans on earth when some of the events occured. . .

I'm assuming this is a genuine thread and not just a Christianity bashfest as usual.

The tittle of the thread is Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic?
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Kay17: 7:38pm On Dec 08, 2009
@tpia, as regards to migration of these animals ( kangaroo, mountain lions, dodo bird, jaguars and the insects) how were they able to cross the enormous ocean separating their continent from Turkey, you could have said God in his miraculous ways, transported them with his divine hand but you run to science to get your yourself out of your quagmire. it simply backs up evolution. you people's blunders are piling up: first earth was created in 6 days now global flood and concentration of animals in one ark.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 08, 2009
Kay 17:

@tpia, as regards to migration of these animals ( kangaroo, mountain lions, dodo bird, jaguars and the insects) how were they able to cross the enormous ocean separating their continent from Turkey, you could have said God in his miraculous ways, transported them with his divine hand but you run to science to get your yourself out of your quagmire. it simply backs up evolution. you people's blunders are piling up: first earth was created in 6 days now global flood and concentration of animals in one ark.

did you miss the cut and paste articles I referred to earlier?

look up Panthea.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 08, 2009
mazaje:

I understand what you were trying to explain but I find it unacceptable because those events happened when there were no humans present on earth as written in the various articles. . .You were trying to be scientific by providing scientific answers but why accept the scientific process only when it fits your own theory and position with regards to the mechanism and way of transport and discard the dates because it does not fit your own theory? Why accept the theory of Pangaea or continental drif as the mechanism responsible for the movement of animals from present day Turkey to their various locations all over the world but refuse to accept the date that was theorized for the occurance of the said events? I do not accept expalanations because continental drifts and Pangaea were theorized to have happened about 250 million years ago while the Noah's flood is said to have happened just 4500 years ago. . . .

And according to those articles there were no humans on earth when some of the events occured. . .

The tittle of the thread is Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic?

human footprints have been found in the middle of dinosaur ones (apparently meaning they're the same age), so when exactly humans first appeared is still being speculated.

anyway, my point here is I'm not arguing about dates (which arent set in stone mind you), but rather giving you a picture of the earth's topography in the past. Nobody has a time machine to go back and verify if events happened millions or thousands of years ago.

The time kinks arent a problem- I dont recall posting anything about 5000 or 4500 years. The 250 million is part of the scientific school of thought and included in the articles I posted- its not supposed to be the main focus.

So far, you've insisted the earth of Noah's time was exactly the same as it is today, therefore you and kay 17 are pulling up all kinds of weird analogies like how did mountain lions get to north america. Can I ask you how cows got to Africa?

secondly, if you believe the story of Noah is a myth, then you could have worded your question differently. I'm just saying.

However, continental drift is a fact.

Looking at any map of the world, you'll see the continents do fit into each other like puzzle pieces.
Re: Biodiversity And Species Distribution, How Does It Fit With The Flood Neotic? by mazaje(m): 4:08pm On Dec 09, 2009
tpia.:

human footprints have been found in the middle of dinosaur ones (apparently meaning they're the same age), so when exactly humans first appeared is still being speculated.

Hope you didn't get this ridiculous assertion and propaganda from the answers in genesis website. . . . . .

The time kinks arent a problem- I dont recall posting anything about 5000 or 4500 years. The 250 million is part of the scientific school of thought and included in the articles I posted- its not supposed to be the main focus.

So far, you've insisted the earth of Noah's time was exactly the same as it is today, therefore you and kay 17 are pulling up all kinds of weird analogies like how did mountain lions get to north america. Can I ask you how cows got to Africa?

Do you have any evidence to show that Noah lived 250 million years ago?

secondly, if you believe the story of Noah is a myth, then you could have worded your question differently. I'm just saying.

However, continental drift is a fact.

Looking at any map of the world, you'll see the continents do fit into each other like puzzle pieces.

According to some of the articles you posted events like continental drift and Pangea happened when there were no humans on earth how then do you reconcile that with the Noah's flood story?. . . . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheists On Nairaland Plagiarize The Work Of Foreigners On Online Forums. / Satan Doesn't Exist; All These Abrahamic Religions Are Deceiving Everybody / What Lies Have Lucifer Told You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.