Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,710 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

9 Problems Of Left Handed People - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9 Problems Of Left Handed People (5360 Views)

His Wife Caught Him Red-handed . You Just Can't Believe What Happened. / I Caught My Husband Red Handed / The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2017
Gaara101:

This is the first time I'm hearing about discrimination towards left handed people in the Job sector.
How true is this? I'm curious about it.
By the way,I wasn't hurt. It was for dramatic effect. grin

That job discrimination existed decades ago but not today, except a few stereotyped myopic bosses who are too archaic to accept it's not a problem to be lefty. At least, Bush, Clinton and Obama led the US (with their left hand) for over two decades and I don't think they ruined America, did they?

2 Likes

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 4:51pm On Feb 20, 2017
amicable09:

Don, thing is, it has nothing to do with the individual (child) when he's less than 3. In your own case, they tried to stop you late and that's why you had difficulty switching. I've once taught nursery and primary school kids. I had a kid who wrote the way you did at that time because he had eye problems. His parents didn't know. He wrote 9 as P. In Primary 3 when I was his class teacher, he had not learned to read because of his eyes.

Another kid, basic 1, same challenge, lefty. I took my time with him and achieved success grin. Once a child passes 7, I have a philosophy I operate with, I let him be. There's so little one can do with them. They've been moulded completely.

Well, until I am sure that they are not being discriminated against when it comes to employment, I'll still work on helping the child be flexible. It's the future I'm looking at.

Lefties are not being discriminated against for employment purposes. If anything at all, they're admired for their uniqueness. So please, let's let these children be and let them use whatever hand they're born to use.

As for my age when I was being turned into a dumbo, I was about 4 yrs old or so. It was nursery 1 - the very first class when a child starts to learn to write. As I was told, my dad had said "no one in his generation has used left and neither did anyone in his wife's family. So how is his (DonOms) own like that?"

My point is, while you're right that early correction works, it's needless. It's the 21st century and as much as you won't support the killing of twins for being supposedly sinister, let's not support the correction of left-handedness because it seems harmless to do.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 20, 2017
DonOms:

That job discrimination existed decades ago but not today, except a few stereotyped myopic bosses who are too archaic to accept it's not a problem to be lefty. At least, Bush, Clinton and Obama led the US (with their left hand) for over two decades and I don't think they ruined America, did they?
Of course, they didn't.
Thanks for the reply. I've been searching for left handed people facts and I never came across that. Its shameful that 'bosses' with those mindset still exists.
Once again, thanks. smiley
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 20, 2017
DonOms:

Lefties are not been discriminated against for employment purposes. If anything at all, they're admired for their uniqueness. So please, let's let these children be and let them use whatever hand they're born to use.

As for my age when I was being turned into a dumbo, I was about 4 yrs old or so. It was nursery 1 - the very first class when a child starts to learn to write. As I was told, my dad had said "no one in his generation has used left and neither did anyone in his wife's family. So how is his (DonOms) own like that?"

My point is, while you're right that early correction works, it's needless. It's the 21st century and as much as you won't support the killing of twins for being supposedly sinister, let's not support the correction of left-handedness because it seems harmless to do.

I completely agree with you. The 'correction' is needless. There are no harm, neither has any sinister effect been recorded that correlates with the handedness of an individual.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 7:21pm On Feb 20, 2017
Gaara101:

Of course, they didn't.
Thanks for the reply. I've been searching for left handed people facts and I never came across that. Its shameful that 'bosses' with those mindset still exists.
Once again, thanks. smiley

You're welcome. The truth is, that a concept is popular does not equate rightness. Did you know that for a long time centuries ago, sandals were made with no left or right designs? People just put their foot into any one of the pair 'cos it's the same. Was that popular in that time? YES. Was it right? NO. So someone figured it out and made things right.

Same with killing of twins in Calabar which Scottish woman Mary Slessor fought against. Was a second of twin children truly a devil? NO. Did Calabar people believe it? YES. Maybe because one know-it-all dibia said so. Until someone came all the way from Aberdeen and proved them wrong.

Point is: Any person can start up a stupid idea and everyone will believe despite it being wrong. So don't mind those people who stereotype us lefties and associate us with all sorts - their stereotyping days are well numbered.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Melsan: 8:43pm On Feb 20, 2017
DonOms:

Yeah, I know, right? How do you do?
Yeah..How do you do too?..Been a while.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Ranchhoddas: 9:11pm On Feb 20, 2017
Only very backward people will discriminate against lefties. I would not change to right even if I could. My left-handedness is one of my selling points.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 11:20pm On Feb 20, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Only very backward people will discriminate against lefties. I would not change to right even if I could. My left-handedness is one of my selling points.

grin Like a boss, init?

1 Like

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 11:23pm On Feb 20, 2017
Melsan:
Yeah..How do you do too?..Been a while.
Very well, thank you. Yeah, always off and on here; hardly comment too.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 5:55am On Feb 21, 2017
WRITING IN SPIRAL BOUND NOTEBOOKS IS FUNNY cheesy.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 5:56am On Feb 21, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Keep comforting yourself tongue.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Ranchhoddas: 7:30am On Feb 21, 2017
ToriBlue:
Keep comforting yourself tongue.
What?
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Melsan: 10:18am On Feb 21, 2017
[quote author=DonOms post=53903773]
Very well, thank you. Yeah, always off and on here; hardly comment too
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 21, 2017
OP, you forgot about writing on white board in front of classes.

They always complain that you're blocking what you're writing with your body, as if it's intentional angryangry.

As for PS, Sony eventually started producing pads for left-handed people and games started providing orientation for lefties;
Though those pads costs quite a lot then sha..... sad sad.

The main problem with being left-handed is that writing ish. You always have to contort your body and shift your elbow to ensure adequate writing sad. It's cool sha....
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 21, 2017
SirWere:
OP, you forgot about writing on white board in front of classes.

They always complain that you're blocking what you're writing with your body, as if it's intentional angryangry.

As for PS, Sony eventually started producing pads for left-handed people and games started providing orientation for lefties;
Though those pads costs quite a lot then sha..... sad sad.

The main problem with being left-handed is that writing ish. You always have to contort your body and shift your elbow to ensure adequate writing sad. It's cool sha....

I forgot to add that.I can remember vividly when I was serving,my students were always complaining whenever I am writing on the board.

I was teaching Physics, what I did was to dictate the theory aspect of it and solve the calculation part on the board. grin
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Cherlene(f): 7:28pm On Feb 21, 2017
Principe:
(9) HE WHO LAUGHS LAST.......:When you hear that four out of the six last American Presidents are left handed;that Einstein was a south paw or when you hear that left handed people are smart and gifted.

Lovely,
I am left-handed too.

Cherlene

1 Like

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by redcurry(f): 11:16am On Feb 22, 2017
JackBaueress1:
I can handle the scissors perfectly.

I am a leftie though i write with my right hand and do every other thing with left hand.
same with me as well.I was forced to write with my right in primary by my teacher(how I So much hated her for that )
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by bullynotpals: 11:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
Join us this year as we celebrate the official maiden edition of lefthanders day Nigeria August 13, 2018 in Lagos and Abuja

#lefthandersdayNaija

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mothers......... Please Help My Baby. / Ladies, How Do You Handle Sexual Urges While Single? / Burnt Out - Any Advice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.