Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,293 members, 7,860,705 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:40 PM

Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! (998 Views)

Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
It''s nothing important  or scary.

I was wondering if anyone could be of help.
My sister is around from Nigeria for about 6 weeks and she needs a 'job'. Nothing serious, she just needs something to do because she claims she gets bored when I go to work and ofcourse she does not mind extra cash to shop with when going to 9ja.

We live in Essex and she is willing to consider anything around.
If you have got a shop, or a business or u need a trustworthy Nigerian to take care of your kids (babysit). She is available until January.

I have tried locally but can't seem to be able to get something temporary.

Incase you are wondering, she's a 'british gal' so you won't be employing an illegal worker.

If you can help, please send me an email on justmagnets@gmail.com
Thank you
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by yommyuk: 1:57am On Dec 09, 2009
Tell her to apply for an NI number and get her arse to the Job centre cool
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by EloSela(f): 5:52am On Dec 09, 2009
If she is British then she should have an NI number which should enable her to sign up for legal temp work at an agency. There is plenty of temp work around now as students haven't broken up for the hols yet.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 09, 2009
The truth is she just arrived last week and this is her first time of visiting.

She is really 'british' but schools in Nigeria. I think NI takes about 3 weeks or so, don't u think??

Anyways thanks for the advice, I'll get her to apply for her NI still.

I think people awaiting NI do work as well, not too sure??
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 09, 2009
She is booked for an interview for the 30th of Dec

Too late in my opinion.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by joxiri: 8:19pm On Dec 09, 2009
aysomething
ttll your sister to check bars and restaurants she could get a cash in hand bar job
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by EloSela(f): 8:24pm On Dec 09, 2009
I thought all British born people got their NI numbers automatically when they turned 16.  

Never mind, I have just checked and it is only people who have been resident in the Uk and in receipt of child benefit that get it sent to them automatically. She should still be able to work though by showing her passport as proof that she is British and letting her employers know that her NI number is on its way.

http://www.paypershop.com/phpBB2/working-without-an-ni-number-t360.html
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by N101: 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2009
Ayosometin

Probably best to let her go to the interview so she won't have to worry about an NI card next time around.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 10, 2009
Thanks guys.
She is going to attend the NI interview anyway.
Found a job on jobcentre website yesterday for pickers/packers. I called them up.
She is going to register on Monday. I just hope they accept her without her NI Number.

Oncer again, thanks everyone
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by jaybee3(m): 11:44am On Dec 10, 2009
the jobcentre will give her a temporary number that she can use until the real number arrives.
Buy her a return ticket to charing cross so she can go drop her CV's at all the retail outlets in west-end. I am sure she will get something cos they normally recruit temporary staffs for xmas busy period.

What abt bank account?
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by KennyG6(m): 12:42pm On Dec 10, 2009
forget about jobcentres jare, she already told us she is only here for a while. It seems as if most of u havent heard of the economic downturn in UK, scores of ppl turn up at jobcentres everyday with little or no jobs on offer. Ayo, the best thing is to put the word out to people u knw and check local stores as well.
If she doesnt mind she can talk to the likes of Chelsea FC or Goldrange about being Match day stewards or events person at the O2 or other concert venues. These roles are flexible and can be done around her time/schedule
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 10, 2009
jay bee:

the jobcentre will give her a temporary number that she can use until the real number arrives.
Buy her a return ticket to charing cross so she can go drop her CV's at all the retail outlets in west-end. I am sure she will get something cos they normally recruit temporary staffs for xmas busy period.

What abt bank account?

Thanks for that Jaybee

She told me she has recieved the letter of invitation for the NI Interview in the post this morning.

I think West-end is far o considering the fact that she is here for a while. Maybe she should try Lakeside instead.

She is using one of my accounts for now, she has applied for an easy cash one though but you know it takes a while.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 10, 2009
Kenny_G:

forget about jobcentres jare, she already told us she is only here for a while. It seems as if most of u havent heard of the economic downturn in UK, scores of ppl turn up at jobcentres everyday with little or no jobs on offer. Ayo, the best thing is to put the word out to people u knw and check local stores as well.
If she doesnt mind she can talk to the likes of Chelsea FC or Goldrange about being Match day stewards or events person at the O2 or other concert venues. These roles are flexible and can be done around her time/schedule

Hey thanks Kenny!!
I actually saw the job on the jobcentre website and called up the agency that put up the advert. They asked her to come and register. I doubt if that has to do with Jobcentre anymore.
The word of mouth is serious o, I have even told some church members. I hope she gets something by next week( especially the one for monday), if not we''ll try the FC and other concert venues.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by thameamead(f): 2:16pm On Dec 10, 2009
if she does not mind working as a kitchen porter or waitress, tell her to go to Blue Arrow or Plan in Victoria (its about a minute work from victoria station) they 've got lots xmas work,
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by thameamead(f): 2:19pm On Dec 10, 2009
blue arrow sends people to arsenal and chelsea but mostly to hotels, if she wants to work everyday, then she should stick to hotel work,
Re: Nigerians In The Uk! Please Read! by yommyuk: 2:23pm On Dec 10, 2009
word grin

(1) (Reply)

Am I Allowed To Do This? / Self Service Kiosk Vs Website For Plane Ticket Purchase / Study In Ukraine 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.