Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians (13458 Views)

Freethinkers! How Did Your Self-awakening Start? / Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 7:45am On Feb 21, 2017
randomperson:
Wow... Beautiful thread.
Anyways, like many other humanities, am a church guy. I play keyboard and guitar for my church at home and my fellowship in school. I have been the president of my church based student fellowship, assistant music director of the church and a bible quiz champion right from my childhood....
So cutting those ties will have to be gradual. But I understand I can't continue like this forever. When a Pastor says something so inherently wicked and brandishes it as a proof of God's benevolence and u have to nod in agreement... The inner irritation is unhealthy...
So it's going to happen one day but one step at a time.

Hmm Oga grin grin

You see why christians call us devils
They would say you have been the worship leader for years just like Lucifer was in heaven.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 7:46am On Feb 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:
Everyone knows I'm atheist. I don't hide it. I try to educate people respectfully and my 'wit' helps me navigate uncomfortable situations.

I've lived with an aunt who is a deaconess in one of the big churches. She'd preach to me everytime, but with time, she got to respect me for being open and honest.. It influenced her perspective and, with time, she grew more relaxed and trusting around me.

Don't hide who you are for anyone. It's really not worth it. A lot of you have passion and zeal to change things, to change our sorry affairs. Surely, even logic agrees that silence is acceptance.

Ride your fears.

I like your style sir. This is what i have been saying.

Especially the bolded

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 21, 2017
LiberaDeus:

You think that 60% of lagosians are freethinkers?
Seriously, 60%
do you xtians live in an alternate universe?
For the fact that some people dont carry loudspeakers around and share church fliers, that makes them freethinkers?

Easy on him Pls
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by randomperson: 8:01am On Feb 21, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Hmm Oga grin grin

You see why christians call us devils
They would say you have been the worship leader for years just like Lucifer was in heaven.
Lolz... Lucifer indeed
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 11:56am On Feb 21, 2017
HolarQD:

I really need your advice sir. i was born and i also grew up a muslim. i came out about not being a muslim again mid last year. i currently squats with someone whom we went to arabic school together back in the days. he is much older than me and was more than surprise when i told him about it that he told my elder brother who in turn told all other family members. i am the kind of person that am strongly opinionated right from when i was little so most of them think am just being stubborn and tried to threaten me with isolation and other stuffs. early this year, it dawned on the guy am staying with that am really serious and that there is no going back again so he is no more disturbing me again. same with my elder brother and uncle that we are staying together here in abuja. the problem now is that i dont know how i can make my parents (they are staying in lagos) to know am really serious and there is no going back for me.

note: even though am a student; i practically and literally do everything for myself by myself

what kinda reaction has your parents been showing since they were informed of your stance? has there been a massive shift in their hospitality towards you?
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2017
randomperson:
Wow... Beautiful thread.
Anyways, like many other humanities, am a church guy. I play keyboard and guitar for my church at home and my fellowship in school. I have been the president of my church based student fellowship, assistant music director of the church and a bible quiz champion right from my childhood....
So cutting those ties will have to be gradual. But I understand I can't continue like this forever. When a Pastor says something so inherently wicked and brandishes it as a proof of God's benevolence and u have to nod in agreement... The inner irritation is unhealthy...
So it's going to happen one day but one step at a time.
I understand how feel so perfectly...

Something a pastor says a whole load of nonsense and you ask youself
"Did I really belive this sh.it"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by gnykelly(m): 1:26pm On Feb 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:
Everyone knows I'm atheist. I don't hide it. I try to educate people respectfully and my 'wit' helps me navigate uncomfortable situations.

I've lived with an aunt who is a deaconess in one of the big churches. She'd preach to me everytime, but with time, she got to respect me for being open and honest.. It influenced her perspective and, with time, she grew more relaxed and trusting around me.

Don't hide who you are for anyone. It's really not worth it. A lot of you have passion and zeal to change things, to change our sorry affairs. Surely, even logic agrees that silence is acceptance.

Ride your fears.

. hmmn
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by dalaman: 6:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
Acidosis:
as usual, you cannot take away madness from "these" freethinkers..

One thing they are good at is the tendency to play the victim card. See them brainstorming for survival strategy even while their perceived relevance anchors on a deep hatred towards God.

You want to stay immune from "insults", yet your beliefs anchor on a sheer hatred towards God? My brother, this na madness oo.

Nobody cares really, I meet a lot of freethinkers daily; 6 of 10 people you meet in Lagos today don't worship any God. Most don't even go to Church or Mosque; so what's the issue about?

There are lots of morally upright folks out there who do not belong to any denomination, so you folks should stop hiding and playing the victim card! The same freethinker that renamed holy ghost as holy goat is busy brainstorming for survival tips... lol, what a congregation of pathetic dunces. You want to be respected even while you resent others?

Meanwhile, for as long as you're quick to insult God, Christians, and religious beliefs, it is pointless searching for survival strategy... There's no peace for the wicked so get ready for INSULTS, particularly from ME. The headache is yet to start, trust me grin

As for the ma.d woman up here ^ ^, nobody take your comments seriously so stop the self inflicted convulsion. You are not better than the agbero freethinker who prefers to extort money from Danfo drivers on a Sunday morning. That you stay in your home with your tv on a Sunday morning doesn't make you any better; you're just fortunate enough to have western education like every other educated man or woman, religious or irreligious, who earn a few notes to stay off the streets.

What is this one saying?

4 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Seun(m): 6:59pm On Feb 21, 2017
mustymatic:
How many times have you been in "danger"? When white men generalise you black men as inferior to them you will try to get offended
Apologies. Most Muslims are peace-loving, but the number of non-peace-loving Muslims is high enough to make debating Muslims very risky, particularly in muslim-dominated places like northern Nigeria. Was a pastor's wife not killed recently for the 'crime' of preaching? Imagine that.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by mctowel01: 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2017
akintom:

Based on my experience in married life, am very clear about one thing, which is that relationships are as unique as each one.

This means that when you get involved with someone, you must strive to understand what works with the person.

In case an atheist have marriage in view when dating, i advice that full disclosure be the option (my personal opinion though).

You will be justified when complications (beliefs conflict) occurs in future, if only you have dealt truthfully at the onset.
i totally second this and I have a first hand experience of how couples with different incompatible religious views turned out. Infact, its now irreconcilable all because it started as an arranged marriage.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by HolarQD(m): 8:43pm On Feb 21, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

what kinda reaction has your parents been showing since they were informed of your stance? has there been a massive shift in their hospitality towards you?

we have actually not met since then. been talking only on phone. mom was really mad and said so many things but at the end pleaded with me to please go back to islam. dad really didnt say anything sha because i later denied saying to avoid problem with him
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by kennysympathy(m): 11:19pm On Feb 21, 2017
Op thanks for this trend. For me i don't even give a Bleep... My parents knows who I am. Even right from when I was a kid they knew I don't fancy religious gathering. It I got to age to decide my fate.

Anybody who comes across me, I will first let you know who I am. My close friends are almost giving in to my belief. because being a freethinker does not stop me to be good to good people, irrespective of who you are.

I know that one issue one will encounter will be in marriage, the other will be in terms of employment.

I think a network should be created in such a way we go into relationship with one another. I wish to marry a freethinker.

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by RosaConsidine: 3:17am On Feb 22, 2017
I'm a Christian by my personal consideration. More accurately, I would say I'm a Christian skeptic. My skepticism is not in the existence of God or Jesus or some of the more enduring, central tenets of Christianity but in the characteristics and nature attributed to God by Christian denominations. A lot of them are conflicting, contradictory and mutually exclusive. Yet proponents of these positions support them with equal conviction. I don't believe God can be all of these things the different denominations say he is and have all these characteristics ascribed to him all at once (and not to talk of the views non-Christian theists have of God). If there is just one God, then (he/she/it? God is Spirit, why do we ascribe a gender?) should have only one set of attributes and characteristics and each must not be at odds with the other if God is perfect and is perfection). I'm also a very logical person so I try to reason and ask questions and seek holes in views and theories on God all in an attempt to figure out exactly which set of attributes/characteristics does God have. What does all this have to do with the OP? I'll explain in my next post.

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by RosaConsidine: 3:36am On Feb 22, 2017
Being a skeptic, I'm never afraid to point out holes or irregularities in any theory regarding God or his attributes neither am I scared of asking questions when I read portions of the Bible that appear to be at odds with other parts or completely don't make sense (yes, I would admit, some Bible passages require a suspension of disbelief if you are to take them literally). This nature of mine has often put me at odds with the more "hardcore and completely religious Christians", some in my personal and social life. More than once, here on Nairaland, I have been called an atheist (which, quite frankly, I don't consider to be an insult any more than calling me a Buddhist or a Nigerian) by fellow Christians when I point out logical flaws in some if our religious beliefs. What they don't realize is that it's not that I want them to lose faith or abandon Christianity. Quite on the contrary, I feel there is a higher truth, one that can be known - not a mystery, that can stand the tests of logic and rationality and still be true regardless of personal views or bias. I'm searching for that truth and by pointing out flaws I want my fellow Christians too to search for it instead of just believing what we've been told.

The long and short of this - if I, who still identifies as and considers myself to still be a part of the fold can be vilified and castigated by other members just for not believing without question like they do, what hope is there for someone who says he/she is not only not one of the flock but not even a sheep at all?

Nigeria is a deeply religious country but the unfortunate fact of our religion is how bound it is to sentiment. I've seen some people say it's just the uneducated ones that are religiously sentimental but trust me, even educated Nigerian folks still dwell strongly on religious sentiment, choosing to have preconceived notions about people like or unlike them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by RosaConsidine: 4:02am On Feb 22, 2017
I once told a friend (a well educated fellow, mind you) that if I had I had to choose between hiring a gay atheist who has proven that he/she is of sound mind and competent at whatever job I'm offering and hiring an incompetent, straight Christian, I would pick the gay atheist without batting an eyelid. He was shocked. Why would I hire an atheist, a gay one at that over a Christian. I told him I would do what would help my business grow. In the place of business, competence is what matters, not religion or sexuality or tribe. And he goes what if the person starts turning all of my staff gay or atheist?This coming from an educated fella. I had to reply - for one, I don't think I would suddenly become gay or atheist just because there is a gay person around any more than Mikel Obi can become white by having a white girlfriend. If other employees start showing sings of being atheist or gay after I hire the person then they most likely had it in them all along and only just found the confidence to express it because they now see someone who is being upfront about his/hers. Besides, whichever religion or tribe or sexuality my staff belong to is none of my business so long as it's not affecting my business or their level of commitment and professionalism in the place of business.

The idea behind my above is experience is to illustrate how strong religious sentiments are in determining the choices of a lot of Nigerians. Clearly, my friend wouldn't hire an atheist or gay person no matter how competent the person is. Which is why in the country right now, I would advise anyone outside the two major religions to keep a low profile about their religious beliefs. To the average Nigerian Christian, Muslims are just unbelievers -anyone else is an occultic pagan out to destroy them with the powers of witchcraft. The average Nigerian Muslim holds similar views, seeing Christians as infidel unbelievers who can be redeemed or at least tolerated - anyone else is evil. So it may be necessary to keep up appearances for those outside these two major religions so as to get equal opportunities for business, careers, education, even friendship and association.

5 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by RosaConsidine: 4:25am On Feb 22, 2017
On a fair few occasions (even here in Nairaland), I've had to play the devil's advocate for atheists in situations where fellow theist are being irrational or have shown a crass misunderstanding of any beliefs outside ours (leading, again, to accusations of atheism which, again, I'm not bothered about as I don't have to defend my religious affiliation to a faceless person online). It's obvious that many of us Nigerians are sentimentally religious - choosing to stick to what we have ways believed without question. Could education solve this? I doubt - pretty strongly. A lot of well educated people hold these views. I think exposure is more important to dealing with this than (formal) education. I mean, if you work in a firm where there are atheists and the coexist peacefully with religious adherents and things are going fine, you would no doubt be forced to rethink your position in people that believe differently from you. A Nigerian that has spent an extended period in the US or UK or Canada or anywhere else where diversity is appreciated and encouraged usually comes back with a more tolerant view to people of other beliefs. Of course, this not to say there aren't Americans or Canadians who have problems with atheist or gay people - there actually are - a lot. However, on average living in a society where diversity is normal makes appreciate or at least tolerate diversity better. I converse a lot with younger people here in Nigeria and they are exposed to foreign media (and these things are normal as largely depicted by foreign media) and I've realized that progressively there is a more positive attitude to diversity amongst the younger generation. While the average Nigerian of our generation would see an atheist and think "occultist" or a gay person and think "pedophile", the average younger Nigerian is largely indifferent to atheists and just thinks gay people are weird. Eventually they would become the adults calling the shots and making the decisions and their views won't change but the general views on these things would change because it's different from what the previous generation believed.

6 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 8:03am On Feb 22, 2017
LiberaDeus Well-done ehn. I can't believe I came here late.

So you think I'm not a free thinker. As your free thinking is biased towards Deism, it is the same way mine is biased towards Christianity. grin

I support that freethinkers should be outspoken because I hate pretense with a passion but wisdom should be applied as to where ( so you won't kill yourself for nothing if it's in the north grin) and how ( stop mocking others decisions, respect is needed in conversations) and when ( just know the right time to say it, not to spite one but to make them understand) and to whom ( you should know who to trust about your faith and not to tell those that may use it against you. There's no book telling you to be outspoken like the Christians. But I insist your loved ones should be aware especially the one you would want to get married to).

A time is coming this wouldn't be issues anymore to your likes in Nigeria because the world is framed to be like that already. So I wouldn't be surprised when that time comes. Besides I can't wait for Jesus to come take me home cheesy

What I'm trying to say is Wisdom is what is needed for now for your own safety but be transparent to your loved ones and those that matter to you. Honesty is a key to so many things.

Well, me I can't hide Jesus but wisdom is still needed.

But don't you all forget you need Jesus. Your intelligence won't help you where and when it matters most.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by mmsen: 8:13am On Feb 22, 2017
Seun:
@avaa: Most importantly, never debate muslims. Once they start losing they will find something to be "offended" about and you'll be in danger.

Is that why they have a forum within a forum so as to stop them from being 'offended'...

And could I please have that stupid Islamic text removed from my profile. Thanks.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 8:23am On Feb 22, 2017
akintom:

Based on my experience in married life, am very clear about one thing, which is that relationships are as unique as each one.

This means that when you get involved with someone, you must strive to understand what works with the person.

In case an atheist have marriage in view when dating, i advice that full disclosure be the option (my personal opinion though).

You will be justified when complications (beliefs conflict) occurs in future, if only you have dealt truthfully at the onset.

Wow! cheesy

LiberaDeus, hope you are learning ooo. Don't go and deceive one Christian girl somewhere or you will not enjoy your marriage the way you should grin

There are indeed different types of atheists. The pure minded ones and the........ lipsrsealed
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 8:36am On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

But don't you all forget you need Jesus. Your intelligence won't help you where and when it matters most.

Pls state the exact WHERE and WHEN that matters, that my intelligence won't help me!
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by JackBizzle: 8:47am On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:
LiberaDeus Well-done ehn. I can't believe I came here late.

So you think I'm not a free thinker. As your free thinking is biased towards Deism, it is the same way mine is biased towards Christianity. grin

I support that freethinkers should be outspoken because I hate pretense with a passion but wisdom should be applied as to where ( so you won't kill yourself for nothing if it's in the north grin) and how ( stop mocking others decisions, respect is needed in conversations) and when ( just know the right time to say it, not to spite one but to make them understand) and to whom ( you should know who to trust about your faith and not to tell those that may use it against you. There's no book telling you to be outspoken like the Christians. But I insist your loved ones should be aware especially the one you would want to get married to).

A time is coming this wouldn't be issues anymore to your likes in Nigeria because the world is framed to be like that already. So I wouldn't be surprised when that time comes. Besides I can't wait for Jesus to come take me home cheesy

What I'm trying to say is Wisdom is what is needed for now for your own safety but be transparent to your loved ones and those that matter to you. Honesty is a key to so many things.

Well, me I can't hide Jesus but wisdom is still needed.

My guy, why are you talking with a forked tongue
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by fuckjesus(m): 9:32am On Feb 22, 2017
[color=#000099][/color] Its hard work being an irreligious individual in Nigeria..
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 9:53am On Feb 22, 2017
akintom:

Pls state the exact WHERE and WHEN that matters, that my intelligence won't help me!

In the "unknown" now. What if the "unknown" is the where and when it matters most? Your intelligence can't help you always because you are not omniscient, infact all of the intelligence put together is not even to the beginning level of the omniscient.

You know very well intelligence isn't death proof. After eating, sleeping and all the merry making and wealth gaining, the foolish and the wise here on earth have the same destiny, the same fate, the same end....

Isn't it amazing how intelligence can't separate you from the ignorant ones at some point?

I personally believe there's life elsewhere. Just as you may personally believe in the opposite. They are all beliefs.

And don't think of branching akintom, I won't follow you there. I still still have a whole lot to read on this thread.

Thank you.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 9:58am On Feb 22, 2017
JackBizzle:

My guy, why are you talking with a forked tongue

He don come. What's deceptive about that now? undecided

If Jesus is your problem in all I said there so far, please go look for Him and settle it with Him, OK? angry
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 10:11am On Feb 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

In my own case, I'm not as popular as Seun, but I try to make sure everyone that knows I'm an atheist already knows a lot of other good things about me and I do this like my life depends on it BECAUSE it might depend on it!

I'm known more for being charitable, very kind, considerate, jovial at times, very gentle, focused, knowledgeable about many things, always ready to help when I can, very slow to anger (very very slow to anger), good listener, counsellor etc of course that doesn't mean I'm a doormat or a sissy, far from it, I do stand firm and put my foot down when necessary but since my source of livelihood isn't in anyway connected to my area, those times are very rare and while I'm very private, I welcome almost anyone into my home

What this does is that once someone that has known me more for such things find out I'm an atheist, he/she doesn't have this violent emotional reaction or look of disdain

I've lost count of the number of times people have approached me to ask directly if I'm really an atheist like someone told them and I'll reply in the affirmative, they'll then say that they thought I was a "Christian" all these while because I behave like one

Brother Hope, are you sure? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 10:18am On Feb 22, 2017
Seun:
But I don't think I would want to hide my beliefs from someone I am dating, unless I'm not looking for anything serious with that person. If she can't handle it, then it was never going to work.

Bravo cheesy. I respect you more for that Evangelist Seun

@hopefulLandlord: Striving to be known for something positive before people learn that you're an atheist is a super idea; thanks for sharing it.

That sounds like you don't want to be loved for whom you are but for what you've achieved. In other words, you want people to love you for your achievement and not for you.

Do you really like it like that? undecided
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 10:36am On Feb 22, 2017
LiberaDeus:

We can't let darkness dominate just because they have more numbers. We hold the real light of mental freedom and I think its selfish for us to even go as far as pretending to be like them. You might never record any atheist convert but somewhere someone is seeing the real life of an atheist.

What's now the difference between you and the religious ones? undecided you keep calling each other darkness and calling yourselves light. Na wa oooooo

When some are thinking of liberating the soul, my oga is thinking of liberating the mind. Everything is just about mental power and intelligence to you.

The difference between you and the religious is that your nature of intelligence is contrary to theirs. You like playing around with being the smartest and the most intelligent.......

Who told you, you yourself have been liberated mentally? Or what makes you think so? The fact that you are free from religious mentality doesn't mean you are not in bondage to another form of mental captivity.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Seun(m): 10:51am On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:
What's now the difference between you and the religious ones? undecided you keep calling each other darkness and calling yourselves light.
The difference is that he is likely to be right, because his position is based on evidence and logic, while their position is based on blind faith.

The difference between you and the religious is that your nature of intelligence is contrary to theirs.
It's not about intelligence. It's about rationality, skepticism, intellectual honesty, scientific education, etc. Religious people can have high IQs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 10:59am On Feb 22, 2017
LiberaDeus:

If we are outspoken, our words will always exist in their minds and when they start questioning, those who are born to be free[ not the delusional, bigoted] will find that freedom.

The human mind is a pattern recognizing entity, you must throw signs or an idea into it, once that is done, even if it takes years the person who receives the idea will begin to see the patterns.

You've even stolen how to evangelize from churches grin

Heiii, LiberaDeus ooo grin

Now I understand what you mean by being outspoken, that's by preaching undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Packaging By Pastor Adeboye / 3 Kids Tortured By Prayer Houses & Thrown Into Streets Of Akwa Ibom Rescued(pics / What Is Your Favourite Gospel Music?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.