Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) (40209 Views)

12 Amazing African Inventions That Changed The World / Sapele Schoolgirl, Success And Her Parents Speak On How Their Lives Have Changed / 5 Most Dangerous Snakes In The World.[pic] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by marshborn(m): 5:19pm On Feb 20, 2017
For maths lovers only wink

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by rottennaija(m): 5:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
@op, it would be good if you tell us how they apply in the world

100 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by livinus009(m): 5:40pm On Feb 20, 2017
Did it change the fact that World will come to an end??

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Amplitron: 5:53pm On Feb 20, 2017
rottennaija:
@op, it would be good if you tell us how they apply in the world
Do you know that since about 1600 when Europe started paying more attention to the discovery of those equations the human life span has literally doubled?
Do you know how fundamental calculus is to economics? Or is there anything that affects a nation more than its economy?
Do you know that without Laplace transform and the equation on information theory the internet won't happen?
The oldest of those equations up there is the Pythagoras equation. That is just too fundamental to finding unknown distances in the days when Europeans were taking over other lands in the world?

A=πr^2 was supposed to be on that list.

103 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 20, 2017
Negative numbers turning people insane since 2100 BC.

Imagine doing analysis of Complex numbers in Z2 plane. shocked shocked
You go die grin grin

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by MaziOmenuko: 8:19pm On Feb 20, 2017
When I saw the thread heading, I knew Pythagoras would be the #1. That eqn birthed the geometry aspect of mathematics.

Let me tell you a story.

When I was in js2, I left the school hostel and travelled home. Unfortunately, I met no one at home as my parents travelled (there was no handset then). I had to return to school the next morning after sleeping in my neighbours place. I didn't have a dime left on me as I had hoped to get some cash from home. On getting to the bus stop, I pleaded with a passenger to allow me sit on his laps so i wont have to pay transport fare. It was a small car, owned by young lad who wanted to make quick cash. When the car got moving, he insisted that i pay inasmuch as i wasnt occupying any seat. The passengers were furious at him.

After few minutes of arguing, he said that if only his passengers were science students, they will understand that irrespective of the fact that I wasn't occupying a seat, I still need to pay. That was the last thing he said, he didn't collect money from me but that statement stuck to my mind.

It wasn't until ss2 when I studied Newton's laws of motion that I understood perfectly what the young driver meant. Especially the mathematical derivatives of Newton's 2nd law where F = ma. It became clear that for the moving car under constatn acceleration, more force (fuel) would be needed if the mass increases. I was increasing the sum total of mass,m in his car and as such, he would need to burn more fuel to maintain acceleration.

Mathematic eqns become more interesting when it is applied; that is why engineering is the best course to study. Application of mathematical and science principles become alive when you design your first plant grin

435 Likes 51 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Aminu212: 8:25pm On Feb 20, 2017
nice post for people like me!!!
Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by 0955eb027(m): 8:25pm On Feb 20, 2017
Mat 402 Partial differential equation..
Thats how Prof Adeniyi asked us to derive D'alemberts wave equation.
Eyes con dey red for inside exam hall.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by rottennaija(m): 9:30pm On Feb 20, 2017
Amplitron:

Do you know that since about 1600 when Europe started paying more attention to the discovery of those equations the human life span has literally doubled?
Do you know how fundamental calculus is to economics? Or is there anything that affects a nation more than its economy?
Do you know that without Laplace transform and the equation on information theory the internet won't happen?
The oldest of those equations up there is the Pythagoras equation. That is just too fundamental to finding unknown distances in the days when Europeans were taking over other lands in the world?

A=πr^2 was supposed to be on that list.

What I meant was that the op should write of its application in real world, it will make lay men appreciate the topic more and can even make fp

5 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by excess4luv: 9:47pm On Feb 20, 2017
that Pythagoras theorem....
Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by chloride6: 10:04pm On Feb 20, 2017
That number 12 is wrong!

Clausius not boltmann discovered that entropy is never decreasing.

3 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Allwility: 10:42pm On Feb 20, 2017
I have a rationale that could disprove a corollary of the second law of thermodynamics. It's being in my head since my uni days. If I release this rationale, I fear it would render Equation 12 on that list invalid and create constant energy which would be a terrible thing for mankind. gringrin

10 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by MaziOmenuko: 10:55pm On Feb 20, 2017
0955eb027:
Mat 402 Partial differential equation..
Thats how Prof Adeniyi asked us to derive D'alemberts wave equation.
Eyes con dey red for inside exam hall.

I keep wondering why those math courses have simply-silly names: partial differential equations: you go think say the course go easy as na 'partial' and not complete. Na so we do one mat201 course wey dem call 'ordinary differential equations'. O'boy, there's nothing ordinary in that course. Na so so 2nd, 3rd and 4th derivatives full that course. Person never finish first derivative, na to dey struggle with 2nd, 3rd and 4th; that wan na die.

Have you noticed that the final solutions to those differential equations are more complex than the original problem? How then is that a solution? You solve a simple linear differential eqn and your answer becomes quotients of complex numbers, how is that a solution?

Na waoh!

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Chukwumeremeze(m): 11:33pm On Feb 20, 2017
The beauty of math is in it's complexity,

The appreciation of math is in it's application,

The understanding of math is proportional to galactic discovery.
cool

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by acenazt: 11:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
math! the course i wish never existed, make papa God Roast Them Pythagoras And Him Guys Those Damn Mathematicians.

11 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by SmartMugu: 5:15am On Feb 21, 2017
Posts like this should make it to Frontpage. Rather, we will end up seeing posts like "Davido's new sunglasses" etc first.

15 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by SmartMugu: 5:16am On Feb 21, 2017
acenazt:
math! the course i wish never existed, make papa God Roast Them Pythagoras And Him Guys Those Damn Mathematicians.
You should like maths. It's fun and changes how people think.

6 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by babseg(m): 6:21am On Feb 21, 2017
acenazt:

Haba

Everything you have typed on the Internet is mathematically encoded. So God might roast you first

10 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by vintino(m): 6:49am On Feb 21, 2017
"Seriously Maths is cool" well thats what they told me..

how i pass math 101 is still a misery to me till today..

looking at those equation above is just like reading Alien inscription.. am already feeling sleepy.

well we are all cut out for different things...
but i am very sure i will understand it if it carries currencies sign on them e.g # $ et al..

are lookin to buy from Aliexpress and pay on delivery? check my thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3640949/got-500-order-aliexpress-pay

6 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by obembet(f): 6:50am On Feb 21, 2017
Click like your u can tell us the time and share if u can

solve the rest

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Nobody: 6:50am On Feb 21, 2017
And also give me headache lipsrsealed
Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by kunlexyfred(m): 6:50am On Feb 21, 2017
marshborn:
This is the reason we have many unemployed graduate...

3 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Navalguy: 6:51am On Feb 21, 2017
but it cannot change Buhari health and nigeria

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Anthony0094(m): 6:53am On Feb 21, 2017
I like math

Solving it makes me feel alive

4 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Vicben(m): 6:53am On Feb 21, 2017
E=MC^2 is not on the list. that's another powerful (Physics) Maths equation.

11 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Nobody: 6:54am On Feb 21, 2017
Chai maths
Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by madridguy(m): 6:57am On Feb 21, 2017
Math tongue

1 Like

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Vicben(m): 6:58am On Feb 21, 2017
Allwility:
I have a rationale that could disprove a corollary of the second law of thermodynamics. It's being in my head since my uni days. If I release this rationale, I fear it would render Equation 12 on that list invalid and create constant energy which would be a terrible thing for mankind. gringrin
Why wait? Release it, moreover isn't that what mankind has also done? The world is waiting

2 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by blackjack21(m): 6:58am On Feb 21, 2017
marshborn:

livinus009:
Did it change the fact that World will come to an end??

Op, looks to me like the world hasn't changed very much.
Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by Rtopzy(f): 6:59am On Feb 21, 2017
Maths dear, do you know I've got phobia for you?

2 Likes

Re: 17 Mathematical Equations That Changed The World (pic) by lonelydora: 7:00am On Feb 21, 2017
Pk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Student Moulds Bronze Sculpture Of The Ooni Of Ife For His Project (Photos) / Unrest At FUTMINNA Since Yesterday Evening (Graphic Images) / Sex Scandal: UNN Suspends Mfonobong Udoudom Indefinitely, Launches Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.