Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,291 members, 7,954,164 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:29 PM

The Birth Of The Ghost - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Birth Of The Ghost (1064 Views)

The Birth Of Eric Kane (SHORT STORY) / Ghost Of The Past / The Birth Of A Woman's God - A Short Parody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 2:02pm On Feb 24, 2017
Read and enjoy

This is some sort of prequel to something I'm working on. It just dropped that here's a place I could write it. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2017
Copyright © 2017
All rights reserved. The reproduction or utilization of this work in whole or in part in any form by electronic, mechanical or other means, now or hereafter invented including xerography, photocopying and recording or in any information storage or retrieval system is forbidden without a written permission of from the author. Contact him at neonmediang@gmail.com.

All characters in this book have do not exist outside the imagination of the author and bear no relation whatsoever to anyone bearing the same name or names. They are not even distantly inspired by any individual known or unknown to the author and all incidents are pure fiction. Everything is pure fiction.

I copied Apollux here
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 2:06pm On Feb 24, 2017
This page is intentionally left blank

For no reason.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2017
I lay no claims to perfection
Except for deception

Colonel Sale Ibrahim drummed on his desk impatiently. Something was evidently on his mind, thus he appeared not to notice the presence of the two officers stiffened in front of his large oak desk. Breathing heavily, his eyes roved up and down sheaves of yellow paper he shuffled. The taller of the two officers standing in front of him made to speak.
"Shut up" Sale roared, "You speak when I ask you to", Sale muttered some Hausa swear words under his breath and continued without looking away from the stack of papers he was engrossed in.

Twenty minutes must have passed when Colonel Sale finally looked at the officers standing in front of him. He looked at them as though he was debating their capabilities. His dark piercing hawk eyes bore through their souls it appeared and both officers were scared to look him in the eye. It was said that Colonel Sale was related to General Murtala Mohammed, nobody knew if it was true or not. No one knew much about the guys in the Department of Military Intelligence, but considering their similar temperaments he might as well be the General's son.

He was about to speak then there was a knock. Lt Col Kabiru Bauchi stepped in, he walked a few steps and smartly saluted. Sale reciprocated casually as his mood considerably changed.
"KB my man, sit down" that was a polite order, Sale was in the habit of giving such if you found favor in his sight.

Kabiru was one of such men that had found the favor and confidence of Colonel Sale. He didn't stumble on such grace, he earned it with blood, sweat and the lives of 3 good men. His efforts payed off and about 7 Local Government Areas were liberated from insurgents and 3 High Value Targets captured. Col Sale since then took Kabiru as a confidant and sought his opinions on ranging issues.

Sale suddenly frowned, "Hey both of you, go and stand over there" he shouted at the standing officers pointing to a large shelf. As they made for the shelf, he called at the shorter officer "Come and make tea for KB".
"Oga them feminists go vex o" Kabiru chipped in laughing at the officer.
"I wish that qualified as a problem, I swear I'd be happy. Ghosts are our problem now. The Ghost is back". Giant Furrows appeared on Colonel Sale's forehead as he stressed on 'the ghost'. Kabiru knew something sinister was afoot.

"I have been able to gather some Intel about him. I'd have achieved more if not that I'm stuck with idiots", Colonel Sale glanced at the two young officers to make them know he referred to them.

Colonel Sale adjusted himself on his seat and ran a finger through his moustache. "This is all that we know about him, his parents were Missionaries, our agents, or anthropologists or even Technical Aid Corps members around Mali, Burkina Faso, Mauritania, we're not really sure.. "
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2017
Episode 2

“The Sahara is the man without God …
God made the country full of water so that men live and the desert to find their soul “
Tuareg proverb

July 23, 1995 Northern Mali

Mr Kenneth Ibrahim sat in the dark warm room with his guests sipping tea. The unforgiving heat constantly reminded him he was on the edge of the Sahara. His wife, Simi was in the back room with the women as was the culture. The hot tea soon had its effect and Kenneth was wet with sweat, soon only little islands of dry patches were left on his sky blue shirt. The dry patches reminded him of the Islands on Lake Fabuigine standing defiantly amidst the surrounding threatening lake.
Cheik Ould Houssein smiled at Kenneth, his brown stained teeth peeping behind his lips. “It is good. When the sweat dries you’ll feel cool”. Kenneth agreed, his five years with the clan gave him no reason to argue. The only light in the room came from the southern window, Kenneth deduced it was to avoid the hot rays from the sunrise and sunsets.

“Tell us about your country”, Cheik Ould Houssein said as dropped the green metal teacup. He usually visited Kenneth on some afternoons alongside some elders of the clan and they had lengthy talks, usually on places they’ve been to, culture and politics. Sometimes the Sheik asked him questions on religion. On days that he was not busy at the hospital, Kenneth was happy to chat. “You know the great River close to Timbouctou? Do you know it flows down to my country? In fact, our country was named after it” Kenneth began, the Sheik listened with rapt attention. It amused Kenneth on how much control he possessed at that moment over someone so powerful. “I was born in a town close to it, the locals call the river Kwara”. “Kwara” the Sheik repeated, looking at his chiefs who flanked him on both sides. As if on cue they too said “Kwara” as they nodded. Kenneth couldn’t help but chuckle, ordinarily that would have been considered rude. The Sheik was not someone to offend, in the week of Kenneth’s arrival the Sheik had ordered the execution of seven bandits. Kenneth had witnessed three of them, one of which the Sheik had carried out personally. The old man had brought out a knife from his indigo flowing robes and slashed the bandit’s throat. However, Kenneth and the Sheik were not two ordinary people, they had a deep friendship and respect for each other, and everybody respected Kenneth as they would the Sheik.

Kenneth had won them over with his kindness, humility and willingness to adopt their way of life. Most of the members of the clan questioned the sanity of a learned man leaving his prosperous country to come live with them. Many of the women asked Simi his wife why she didn’t divorce him. “Toureg women can divorce their husbands, you should have” a lady will say. Simi will often reply “Hush you, if I’d divorced him I’d never have met you would I?”

“God is great”, Cheik Houssein said aloud, “God is great” Kenneth and the chiefs chorused. Just at that instant a gust of wind blew handfuls of sand pouring through the vents in the mud wall right unto Kenneth’s face. Cheik Houssein laughed as Kenneth spat out sand, “I have told you to get a turban over and over but you would not listen. The great wind bears me witness”.

They talked about many things, interrupting their discussions with bouts of hearty laughter, the Cheik asking and Kenneth giving answers.
“I hear your country is building a new city”
“Yes my lord, I have never been there but my brother works there, they have named the city Abuja”
“You say we can generate electricity from sunlight?”
“Yes it is possible, I’ll ask my European friends if I can get some of the gadgets”
“You have come to make all of us Christians”
It didn’t sound like a question but Kenneth attempted to answer anyway.
“I’d be pleased if it were so”
The Sheik smiled scratching softly at his beards which had the colour of white guinea corn.
“I hear you are travelling to Bamako tomorrow”,
“Yes, if God wills it”, Kenneth answered. “Daniel my son will be starting school next week”
“God has willed it” Cheik Ould Houssein said. “Bilal has grown so fast. He’s just as Toureg as any boy here, I’m proud of you”.
“His name is Daniel”
“I call him Bilal”

They’d have kept on arguing had the Muezzin not called for prayers. The Sheik and his men stood up to leave. Each man shook Kenneth and touched his chest starting with the Sheik down to the youngest of the Chiefs who happened to be the Sheik’s eldest son. He was just about the same age with Kenneth. Bouller, for that was his name envied the relationship Kenneth had with his father the Sheik but that never stopped him from befriending Kenneth.
“Tonight, there’ll be a feast of songs in your honour” Bouller whispered.
“Wear a turban when coming” he added laughing as he walked briskly to catch up with the Sheik and his party who were far gone. Kenneth stood at his door watching until the men disappeared into the mud building that faced the orient.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2017
One day you'll leave this world behind
So live a life you will remember
My father told me when I was just a child
These are the nights that never die

Avicii, The Nights

As Bouller has promised the feast of songs in Kenneth's honor was held that evening. The sand that was hot and aggressive to the tattooed feet of the gaily dressed women in the afternoon now welcomed the feet with a hospitable coolness.
The moon also honored Kenneth's presence with its silvery gleam. It was bright enough to catch a glimpse of Cheik Hussein smiling in approval of all that was happening. Kenneth sat beside the Sheik. Daniel who sat behind them as was traditional with young boys was soon in the front row. He was thickly built, and dark unlike the other boys in the clan who were slim and light in complexion. His thick bushy hair stood in contrast with the soft wavy hair the boys in the clan had. Aside those differences Daniel was Bilal the Touareg, theirs was the first language he spoke, and he spoke Arabic also like every other Touareg he was at his age one of the best camel riders.
"Abba, I came first in the camel race this afternoon" Daniel said tugging at his father's gown.
"He's going to make a fine warrior", Cheik Houssein said as he tenderly fingered his sword.
"No, he's going to be a peacemaker, a missionary perhaps"
"Hahaha, he'll be pious but he'll still be a warrior" Cheik said as he stood up to talk to the clan.
"My brothers" He began, "We may remember how we looked at this man with suspicion the year he arrived with no other goal but to live among us". He paused to let his importance bubble before he continued. "He has proven to be a true good man. We didn't accept his religion but he still accepted us. We have found a clansman in him". "Bilal has grown to be our son and tomorrow he will be going to Ecole tomorrow. May he be a shining light in all of Mali- and maybe Nigeria". With that he gathered his robes and made for his house, Kenneth rose up to see him off, however the Sheik declined. He stopped and looked at Kenneth saying "Be careful as you go, I hear reports that the jackal and his band roam the roads". "We shall take care, but safety is of God "Kenneth said, a bit unsure if he Said what he really believed.
" Indeed".
Kenneth was a bit troubled at the mention of of the jackal. He was right to be so worried. The jackal headed one of the most ruthless band of robbers across the North of the country and he had a running battle with the sheik who executed any member of his gang he captured. Kenneth witnessed one of such executions the first day he arrived hence he knew trouble awaited any member of his clan who fell into the hands of the jackal.
He shuddered at the thought.
At the moment, the village griot was reciting a poem in his honor. She mentioned how many great warriors he had saved with a needle and a syringe and declared that only a greater warrior could save a great warrior. She praised his wife for her quiet and friendly mien and declared she'd be a mother of many sons.
The Nights went on and on there was an abundance of camel milk,and camel meat. As the feast went on there were different people who came forward to mention different things Kenneth and his family had done for them, many of which Kenneth could not remember and others which were outright lies. Like the fellow who said "Kenneth cut open my camel pulled out her malfunctioning heart and gave her medicine to make her work without her heart while he worked on the heart for three days" everyone came up with stories in an attempt to outdo the previous speaker in the show of gratitude.
Kenneth chuckled.
In the end, he thanked them and left with his family to sleep. They had a 3 day drive through perilous territory.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Apollux(m): 2:18pm On Feb 24, 2017
Ragnorak:
Copyright © 2017
All rights reserved. The reproduction or utilization of this work in whole or in part in any form by electronic, mechanical or other means, now or hereafter invented including xerography, photocopying and recording or in any information storage or retrieval system is forbidden without a written permission of from the author. Contact him at neonmediang@gmail.com.

All characters in this book have do not exist outside the imagination of the author and bear no relation whatsoever to anyone bearing the same name or names. They are not even distantly inspired by any individual known or unknown to the author and all incidents are pure fiction. Everything is pure fiction.

I copied Apollux here
Lol nice. I have to go through your story, seem pregnant with potentials.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 3:18pm On Feb 24, 2017
Never kill a man who says nothing

Khalifa the jackal smiled as he heard the news. "Men!!! Gear up, we have a score to settle" he said in a loud voice. His band of criminals scrambled, each doing nothing exactly but making an effort to be busy. He raised his hand and all was still "dear brothers, I have just received word that the sheik's doctor friend is passing through this locale" he paused to allow the import of the news to sink. When he could see sinister smiles popping up he continued "I say this is a chance to give the sheik a fatal blow". The raiding band erupted in loud shouts of "yes, yes, now is our chance". Soon they were riding into the hot afternoon.

Kenneth had been driving for the second day straight, it was mid morning and by afternoon he'd be out of dangerous territory. He was beginning to chide himself for being afraid of the Jackal and the bandits.
"Simi, remind me to take Bouller's gramophone for repairs when we get to Bamako"
"Sure, seems you love your brother a lot" Simi teased
"Why not, isn't he my brother?" Kennett said letting out a wide yawn.
"Eya, don't worry when we get settled I'll give you a treat, you've done well" Simi gave him a knowing look as she said the word 'treat'.
Kennedy knew he was in luck. He quickly cast a glance at the back seat, Daniel was soundly asleep.

A woman appeared completely clad in black covering in the distance. She was frantically waving them. Kenneth slowed his black Citroën, and went out to meet her and ask her what was wrong. At that instant, the woman transformed into a fierce looking man as the veil dropped and two flashing blades landed on Kenneth's chest. Simi let out a loud hair raising scream. Daniel woke up just in time to see his father fall to the ground.
Kenneth lay on the hot Sands groaning in pain, soon Simi ran beside him. The aggressor said nothing or did nothing. He just stood there watching, as though he was to prevent any harm from coming upon them.
Simi begun to scream at him, "why did you attack him?", "who would want to harm a good man?", "what kind of man does this?"

"A jackal", a voice from behind a lonely shrub answered. Simi ran back and took refuge beside her groaning husband. Khalifa the jackal stepped forward in all his glory. He wore an indigo gown without a turban and thick black round rimmed spectacles hid his eyes. He puffed out cigarette smoke as he walked toward them. As he approached, young men similarly dressed emerged from the surrounding shrubs.
"I have nothing against your husband, in fact I like him having heard of all he has done. He has not offended me. He just happens to be on the wrong side"
Kenneth spoke with a voice surprisingly loud for someone in his condition "Please spare my family"
Khalifa laughed "I will, but I doubt if they'll have a happy life after today". With those words he pulled out a gun a shot Kenneth thrice in the chest. Fresh blood flowed down unto his sword wounds till it stained the brown sahelian sand.
"sorry woman, I didn't just kill your husband. I killed the sheik. If sheik Houssein doesn't die of grief and shame I'm not a true born touareg". Simi did not listen to anything he said. She was hysterical, she tugged at Kenneth shaking him in an attempt to wake him up. Shouting and screaming when she discovered he was dead.
Khalifa waved at his boys and they swarmed the car. They ransacked the bags and took all the money they could find. In addition, they took the radios and gramophone in the car. "Return that Gramophone" Khalifa said when he saw Bouller's name on it. He didn't want Bouller on his case. Bouller was a terrible to have.
They removed the car battery and began to dissappear into the thickets from whence they came.

"one more thing" Khalifa said as he returned to the weeping mother and child. "He's coming along with us" he added as he fetched Daniel. The boy struggled with incredible strength, scratching and kicking. Simi screamed and held his foot dragging for the child with Khalifa. Naturally she was no match a powerful man like Khalifa, but her determination fuelled her-until someone ended it by hitting her with the butt of a gun on the head.

Daniel saw his mother fall limp through eyes blurred by tears.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 3:18pm On Feb 24, 2017
Episode 5

Khalifa had carried Daniel all through their journey to the camp. At some point Daniel had slept and held him tight in his sleep. Children were forgiving but this one is strange. For a child of 7 to instantly forgive a man who just murdered his parents calls for strong suspicion.
"We'll watch this little one closely, he's definitely an old spirit'' he told his men. Or did the boy know?

Khalifa led a band of robbers and rebels. Their being either depended on the season. If there was political unrest they were rebels other times they robbed and raided to keep busy. Khalifa's base was called the camp, here about 200 men worked day and night to keep the enterprise running.

When Daniel came to, Khalifa led him to a woman who Khalifa said would be his mother. "What is your name my child?" she asked. She had large eyes which widened as she asked."Bilal" Daniel replied hesitantly. "Bilal it is then" she said. "Here's your little brother Moussa" she said as a tiny boy tottered towards. "you'll watch him and teach him to be a strong boy like you are Hmmm?". Bilal nodded, Khalifa nodded and then walked away.

Life on the camp was gruelling especially when the nature of their occupations were considered. The males were destined to be fighting men and as soon as they could walk were trained to fight. Those who proved capable were taught how to use guns. Actually everyone on the camp knew how to fire a gun but these capable men were taught how to dismantle and couple guns blindfolded, shoot without missing and identify the different types of firearms. The very best among them were further trained to be assassins and spies. These ones were trained by the Frenchman himself.

It was not long before Bilal found himself on the path of being an assassin. The Frenchman was full of praises for him and Khalifa was proud of this genius. Bilal had one characteristic that scared Khalifa he was cold and unreadable. Khalifa decided to do something about that. A girl would do. Bilal was 15, heck at 15 Khalifa himself was already engaged to Fanta. He'll need to find some stubborn and intelligent girl who will make the boys heart alive.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 3:19pm On Feb 24, 2017
I fell in love with a ghost
Under the moonlight
You took my hand and held me close
For once I was alright

Zara was tall and fair, she had the slender body that was built for the desert. She was Khalifa's niece and had come home from Bamako where she schooled. She had deep eyes and a very melodious voice which she employed every night the moon came up.
Bilal could only pretend for a few days that she didn't exist. Before long she grew on his consciousness, she was very intelligent and had an interesting point of view to almost every topic.
"No, the coming of the French is not entirely bad, we have their medicines and science" she'd say. Bilal admired or rather acknowledged that from afar. He was generally disinterested, until she asked him his opinions. "I know who you are, and I know your story" she added "things are not as they seem, whatever you think you lost you'll find again".
Bilal was surprised, then sad, and then felt some sort of strange warm feeling from his stomach all at the same time. "You don't know me" he said and walked away.

Bilal realized that for the first time he had spoken at length to a female outside his foster family since his arrival. Hell this wasn't even a conversation. This was the first person who spoke to his soul. "Who does she think she is? That every boy is willing to kiss the ground doesn't mean that I Bilal will suck up to her" he decided. The next morning his mother called him, "my husband, my husband, someone is here to see you" that she said 'someone' meant it was someone she wasn't familiar with. Only one person came to his mind - Zara! What does she want?

"Good morning Bilal, we've been milking the camels and we've brought you some ". Bilal was surprised at her actions, "sorry if I said anything that hurt you last night". Bilal merely nodded. She left smiling. Bilal felt exhausted, he was not interested in socialization or building any bonds as they could be easily ripped off anytime. Such was life in these parts.

It wasn't long before he failed to not bond. He grew close to Zara and she saw him as a younger brother, though she never admitted it, although she was 2 years older than he was she never demanded subservience. She sort his opinions and made him feel important. It was in her company Bilal learnt to laugh and be happy again. The rigours of patrolling with Khalifa faded whenever she came out to welcome him with milk and curds. They spent nights telling stories about their families, learning songs and singing. Bilal was even appointed as her chaperone the day she was to travel to meet her fiance who lived 3 days journey away. One night one their way back Bilal told her Khalifa killed his parents.
"I heard that story but I don't want to believe my uncle will kill an unarmed man and his wife. What do you want to do about it?"
Bilal was quiet for some time "I'll do what needs to be done. Let's not talk about such anymore, get some sleep"
Zara turned over and faced the starry skies. She didn't want Bilal to see the teary streams that flowed from her eyes.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
Apollux:

Lol nice. I have to go through your story, seem pregnant with potentials.
Thank you sir. We're learning from you.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by theSpark(m): 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2017
Let's see where this goes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 12:29pm On Feb 25, 2017
Your comments, suggestions and corrections are welcome.
Re: The Birth Of The Ghost by Ragnorak: 12:18pm On Apr 15, 2017
theSpark:
Let's see where this goes.

New episodes coming soon

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help Finding This Books / Food Is Ready (Short Story) / Together Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.